[Minimum KSP: 1.12.2] Snacks! - Friendly, Simplified Life Support

Angelo Kerman

4 minutes ago, Spartan125 said:

I am having trouble with recycling at high time warp despite the recent update. Something I noticed was that the Hitchhiker container said it was missing electric charge in the info box.  My ship is capable of generating the electricity needed and I have three Kerbals onboard so it should be able to keep up.

I need details on steps to reproduce the issue including craft configuration, if it was in the background or foreground, what time warp settings, etc.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

I need details on steps to reproduce the issue including craft configuration, if it was in the background or foreground, what time warp settings, etc.

The craft was running in the foreground and the recycler would fail at 10,000x and 100,000x time warp settings.

Spoiler

No time warp:

YWwpgXB.png

10,000x time warp:

dH35tbR.png

100,000x time warp:

7KZ2kbr.png

Edited by Spartan125

6 hours ago, Spartan125 said:

At the maximum capacity of the spacecraft, 4,250.

Ok, I have created a similar vessel to yours and observe that at 10,000x time warp:

delta time is 200

input efficiency is 19.8 (specialty base is 0.05, efficiency bonus is 0.1, crew rank is 5, recycler supports 4, 1 snack per meal, 3 snacks per day)

Base EC input is 3

Base EC input * input efficiency * delta time = 3 * 19.8 * 200 = 11880

Based on these numbers, you don't have enough Electric Charge aboard to handle the 10,000x time warp.

Snacks 1.16.1 is now available:

- Updated Snacks Trip Planner in the Docs folder - new Timewarp Calcs tab.
- SnacksConverter now has new options:
  requiresHomeConnection - Requires connection to homeworld to operate.
  minimumCrew - Minimum number of crew that must be in the host part in order to run the converter.
NOTE: Snacks Processor and Soil Recycler don't use these.
- Fixed NREs generated when converters are added in the editor.
- Fixed issue where Snacks wasn't being added to parts in the editor.
- Fixed debug info in SnacksProcessor.
- Fixed issue where Snack supply window wasn't being updated when the window is opened and snack time happens.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:04 AM, Angel-125 said:

- SnacksConverter now has new options:

requiresHomeConnection - Requires connection to homeworld to operate.
  minimumCrew - Minimum number of crew that must be in the host part in order to run the converter.
NOTE: Snacks Processor and Soil Recycler don't use these.

What do you mean by "operate" in the first option? Also the second option is a great concept, can't wait to play with it :cool:

52 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

What do you mean by "operate" in the first option? Also the second option is a great concept, can't wait to play with it :cool:

It means that without a connection back to the homeworld, the converter won’t run. Think of something like an entrainment center needing to download Entertainment for kerbals to consume. Without KerbNet running it can’t download more Entertainment.

In rescue missions, I'm getting penalties for the stranded Kerbal starving. When I check the pod later, it has full snacks. It seems like for whatever reason, the Kerbal can't access snacks in an unloaded pod. 

2 hours ago, tan620 said:

In rescue missions, I'm getting penalties for the stranded Kerbal starving. When I check the pod later, it has full snacks. It seems like for whatever reason, the Kerbal can't access snacks in an unloaded pod. 

Hm, I might need to see what a kerbal in a rescue contract looks like. What should happen is that the kerbal should be ignored.

4 hours ago, tan620 said:

I have a little more information, if it helps. Before you get in range of the craft, it seems to treat the "heap" as a class A asteroid, so it may not have any snacks on it at all. 

Ok, I am able to account for rescue contracts and skip their resource processing. Update on the way..

@Angel-125

Ooh! Interesting! I may have to give these new mechanics a go. This feels like simplified TAC-LS combined with a more basic version of USI-LS’s habitation system.

How does Snacks apply the air scrubber module to parts? Does it only add it to the stock crew cabins, or will it seek out any crew-holding part without ModuleCommand (or whatever the command pod module is called, I can’t remember)?

1 hour ago, zer0Kerbal said:

they need tacos!

With the upcoming changes, you can add Tacos as a resource and have the Snacks mod track it (along with penalties applied if your crews run out of Tacos). The same goes for, say Coffee... :)

50 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@Angel-125

Ooh! Interesting! I may have to give these new mechanics a go. This feels like simplified TAC-LS combined with a more basic version of USI-LS’s habitation system.

How does Snacks apply the air scrubber module to parts? Does it only add it to the stock crew cabins, or will it seek out any crew-holding part without ModuleCommand (or whatever the command pod module is called, I can’t remember)?

Stress is an abstracted habitation mechanic for sure. The max Stress that a kerbal has is affected by the Space available in the vessel along with a kerbal's experience level. Space is calculated based on crew capacity: for craft with 1 - 3 seats, you get 16 days of max Stress per seat. After that, Space = crew capacity * crew capacity * crew capacity. In both cases, divide Space by the current crew count. All this is done automatically for you...

Some implications: you could have a kerbal with a Stress level at 40/164 who gets a visitor. Now that kerbal is at 40/82 because that new kerbal is taking up space. The visitor leaves, and the kerbal's Stress is back to 40/164. Unfortunately, the visitor got the kerbal Sick, so her stress goes up to 41/164, and will keep going up until she recovers. She needs to take a lander down to the surface. The lander has a 2-kerbal crew capacity, so its max Space is 32. She's already on edge so the second she boards the craft, she gets Stressed Out and is too frazzled to work. Her piloting skills become unavailable.

Mission Control notices this and gives her time off. She heads to a Hitchhiker and turns on the Entertainment Center. While Relaxing, she de-stresses for a few days. Now she's at 31/164. She is no longer Stressed Out but since she's still Relaxing, you can't use her piloting skills.

The mission must go on... She boards the lander again and no longer feels cramped. She can use her piloting skills at this point to continue the mission. She starts up the lander, and BARIS breaks the reaction wheels. Her Stress goes up again to 32/32. She's again Stressed Out but since the lander is sub-orbital and on approach she can keep it together. She lands and the effects of being Stressed Out immediately kick in. She won't be going anywhere for awhile. Fortunately the Pathfinder base has a Casa where she can relax and de-stress until she can go flying again...

There's a lot that you can do with the new system in Snacks, including define new life support resources to track, new kerbal characteristics to track, and new events that can affect your resources. Those events can trigger when specific conditions are met and applied per-kerbal. You can even define random events like a BARIS event card. All this is totally optional and not enabled when you install the mod; that way, Snacks remains lightweight out of the box, but is now much more sophisticated than when I took it over back in 2016...

For the Air Scrubber, you have to manually add it to your parts. Out of the box the stock crew cabins will all have one, as well all WBI habitat parts that also have soil recyclers. Ditto for the Entertainment Center if you enable Stress.

Edited by Angel-125

11 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

With the upcoming changes, you can add Tacos as a resource and have the Snacks mod track it (along with penalties applied if your crews run out of Tacos). The same goes for, say Coffee... :)

so there might finally be a use for KIS:funpack:TACOs? :P

@Angel-125 Thanks for the patch, and another question (sorry :P): The images you posted above say that Kerbals will die if they’re deprived of fresh air for too long...will it be possible to turn this off? Kerbals just going to sleep when they run out of life-support has kind of become head-canon for me, since I started to use Snacks.

1 minute ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@Angel-125 Thanks for the patch, and another question (sorry :P): The images you posted above say that Kerbals will die if they’re deprived of fresh air for too long...will it be possible to turn this off? Kerbals just going to sleep when they run out of life-support has kind of become head-canon for me, since I started to use Snacks.

All penalties for processed resources (FreshAir as one example) honor the same settings you use for Snacks. So if you define a funding penalty, faint penalty, and death penalty in the Air processor, but tun off the death penalty, then you only have the funding penalty and fainting penalty to contend with.

Just had a Kerbal sink to the ocean floor at the start of a new career, and then discovered none of them could jump at all on Kerbin once I got the first one dry. No inventory to weigh them down, but then I looked a little lower. Um.. 200 snacks is a bit excessive, Jeb.

podwW9m.png?1

The rest of them are gluttons as well.  Reinstalled Snacks 1.16.3 on KSP 1.7.2 and same result.  Removed Snacks and was able to hop around like a little green bunny and float just fine.

Snacks.cfg file shows Snacks_EVA_Resource should be 1.0, but it seems to be pulling from the Snacks_Part_Resource instead, which is set to 200.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.