Angel-125

[1.7.x] Snacks! - Friendly, Simplified Life Support

Recommended Posts

On 4/24/2017 at 10:57 PM, PocketBrotector said:

So when I launched a scientist in a hitchhiker and turned on the recycler, he was able to eat indefinitely as the recycler was still 100% efficient. I'm guessing this is not intended?

After some further examination, I suspect that this is caused by the same issue that @linuxgurugamer reported above. Even though the recycling efficiency slider on the difficulty menu appears to be set at 40% by default, it always acts as though it's set at 100%, resulting in perfectly efficient recyclers. I was able to sidestep the issue with a ModuleManager config to simply multiply the output of all soil recyclers by my desired efficiency fraction.

Also, I was unable to replicate my issue with unowned kerbals going hungry. However, I find the estimates produced by the life support window, my theoretical expected mission lifetimes, and actual in-flight consumption values are all disagreeing with one another. This is with both random snacking and month-based estimates turned off, so it shouldn't be affected by kerbal personality or unit-conversion oddities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PocketBrotector said:

After some further examination, I suspect that this is caused by the same issue that @linuxgurugamer reported above. Even though the recycling efficiency slider on the difficulty menu appears to be set at 40% by default, it always acts as though it's set at 100%, resulting in perfectly efficient recyclers. I was able to sidestep the issue with a ModuleManager config to simply multiply the output of all soil recyclers by my desired efficiency fraction.

Also, I was unable to replicate my issue with unowned kerbals going hungry. However, I find the estimates produced by the life support window, my theoretical expected mission lifetimes, and actual in-flight consumption values are all disagreeing with one another. This is with both random snacking and month-based estimates turned off, so it shouldn't be affected by kerbal personality or unit-conversion oddities.

Ok, glad you have a temporary solution. :) I started a new job this week but I'll fix up Snacks as soon as I'm able. Thanks for the investigation. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remember exactly, but, do tourists eat more then normal kerbals?

I had a Minmus flyby contract, and had allotted just enough snacks to complete the round trip according to the snacks toolbar estimate, but they ran out of snacks and couple of days earlier then they should have.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey folks,

I've finally got some time this week to fix up Snacks, and will be addressing as many issues as I can. I think the issue with recycling that @dtoxic mentioned is due to how the stock game runs converters; when a vessel is unfocused, the game won't run its converters. It's only when you focus on them again that the game runs a "catch up" mechanic, where the converter rapidly runs until it processes the amount of material that it should've converted during the time you were away. I'm thinking that might be one of the reasons that time estimates are off, but it sounds like there are other cases as well. Anyway, I'll be looking into these issues this week now that I'm settling into my new job. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Hey folks,

I've finally got some time this week to fix up Snacks, and will be addressing as many issues as I can. I think the issue with recycling that @dtoxic mentioned is due to how the stock game runs converters; when a vessel is unfocused, the game won't run its converters. It's only when you focus on them again that the game runs a "catch up" mechanic, where the converter rapidly runs until it processes the amount of material that it should've converted during the time you were away. I'm thinking that might be one of the reasons that time estimates are off, but it sounds like there are other cases as well. Anyway, I'll be looking into these issues this week now that I'm settling into my new job. :)

Check out the following plugin it may be of use to you

https://spacedock.info/mod/288/BackgroundProcessing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dtoxic said:

Check out the following plugin it may be of use to you

https://spacedock.info/mod/288/BackgroundProcessing

Thanks. :) I've actually done some digging into the stock resource converter, and I think I can manually run the recycler at mealtime for all unloaded vessels. The stock ModuleResourceConverter- the basis for the SnacksRecycler- has a "lastUpdated" property that I think I can update so that when the vessel is loaded into the scene, it's already caught up.

Meanwhile, I've gotten rid of the years/months/days time format; even though months is accurate according to the official KSP wiki, it's causing confusion, so I opted for a years/days format instead. I'm also sorting through the inaccurate max crew estimate in the VAB/SPH. I'm pretty busy this week but might have something by Sunday. No promises though, deadlines come and go when it comes to modding...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news! I can run the recyclers and snack processors in the background, and still respect the "catch up" mechanic. There's more work to do though. Right now the recyclers are calibrated for 1 meal per kerbal and 1 meal per day, multiplied by the number of kerbals the recycler supports. The Hitchhiker, for instance, supports 4 kerbals and can recycle up to 4.32 units of Soil into 4.32 units of Snacks at 100% efficiency. But Snacks defaults to 1 snack per meal and 3 meals per day, so for a crew of 3 and one Hitchhiker, you're consuming 9 snacks per day and recycling 4.32 snacks per day. So, I have to re-calibrate the recyclers, and ideally, they'll adjust based upon snacks per meal and meals per day. Since I keep track of the number of kerbals that a recycler supports, I think I can do the math on the fly and adjust the output.

Edited by Angel-125

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious as to what happens when a hungry Kerbal throws out science. Is that particular biome's experiment points gone forever, or can you go back and get them again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I'm curious as to what happens when a hungry Kerbal throws out science. Is that particular biome's experiment points gone forever, or can you go back and get them again?

It is the equivalent of going to the experiment and discarding the data.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2017 at 6:38 PM, PocketBrotector said:

After some further examination, I suspect that this is caused by the same issue that @linuxgurugamer reported above. Even though the recycling efficiency slider on the difficulty menu appears to be set at 40% by default, it always acts as though it's set at 100%, resulting in perfectly efficient recyclers. I was able to sidestep the issue with a ModuleManager config to simply multiply the output of all soil recyclers by my desired efficiency fraction.

Could you be so kind as to post your MM config here? I'll probably be playing 1.2 for quite some time still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2017 at 5:14 PM, Waxing_Kibbous said:

Could you be so kind as to post your MM config here? I'll probably be playing 1.2 for quite some time still.

 

Spoiler

//Change soil recyclers to convert only 60% of soil to snacks.
//With below tweak,
  //in-game setting at "100% recycling efficiency",
  //and 3 snacks per kerbal per day,
  //each recycler should be rated to convert 4.32 Soil
  //to 2.59 Snacks per day at 100% load,
  //with max load modified by scientist skill...
    //No scientist: x0.25
    //Zero stars: x0.50
    //One star: x0.75
    //Two stars: x1.00
    //Three stars: x1.25
    //Four stars: x1.50
    //Five stars: x1.75
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[SoilRecycler]]:FINAL
{
  @MODULE[SoilRecycler]
  {
    !SpecialistEfficiencyFactor
    %SpecialistBonusBase = 0.25
    %SpecialistEfficiencyFactor = 0.25
    @OUTPUT_RESOURCE{
      @Ratio *= 0.6
    }
  }
}

 

You can delete the bonusBase and EfficiencyFactor if you want and just modify the output_resource ratio

Edited by PocketBrotector

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I've got the background processing done, just in time to start converting my mods over to KSP 1.3...

Now I can let the snacks recycler and processor run when the vessel is unloaded- well, sorta, it does the math and shuffles resources around, but the converter doesn't actually run. It does auto-update the converter so that you don't go double-dipping in your resources. Anyway, bottom line is that the estimates should be more accurate now. Also, the months estimate is out; now you get years and days, just like you see in the Tracking Station for things like flight times. Anyway, now I can start working on KSP 1.3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I've fixed the last of the bugs, should have a release out tomorrow morning. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snacks 1.8.0 is now available:

- Time estimates are now measured in years and days; months, though accurate, was getting too confusing.
- Snack processors and soil recyclers now run in the background when vessels aren't loaded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steam patched my game up to 1.3.0.1 and I have waded through all my mods and updated them. Unfortunately I am only seeing your radial snack tin available in the vab or spaceplane hangar. The other snack tins are not showing up. I removed all of my mods to see if one of them was causing the issue, but there was no change. My completely stock game seems to be hiding all of the snack tins except for the radial tin.

 

Anyone else having this issue? Any advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr Farnsworth said:

Steam patched my game up to 1.3.0.1 and I have waded through all my mods and updated them. Unfortunately I am only seeing your radial snack tin available in the vab or spaceplane hangar. The other snack tins are not showing up. I removed all of my mods to see if one of them was causing the issue, but there was no change. My completely stock game seems to be hiding all of the snack tins except for the radial tin.

 

Anyone else having this issue? Any advice?

I'm not seeing that. How did you install Snacks? Did you put it in WildBlueIndustries/Snacks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp, I am a dummy. I copied the 'snacks' folder directly into the GameData folder.

I have deleted it and copied the WildBlueIndustries folder instead.

All is good now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017. 05. 30. at 4:11 AM, Angel-125 said:

I'm not seeing that. How did you install Snacks? Did you put it in WildBlueIndustries/Snacks?

It appears that CKAN doesn't know that the new folder layer (WildBlueIndustries) exists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LEGIONBOSS said:

It appears that CKAN doesn't know that the new folder layer (WildBlueIndustries) exists.

The ckan config needs updating, I'll work on it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CKAn config has been updated, please do a refresh (and maybe restart CKAN) and try it again @LEGIONBOSS

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The CKAn config has been updated, please do a refresh (and maybe restart CKAN) and try it again @LEGIONBOSS

Problem solved, thank you very much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Angel-125

I submitted a PR to fix a couple of syntax errors in the .version file 

I know you don't support CKAN, that's fine, i'm looking into the problem.  Could you verify and merge the PR, would be nice if you could update the release file as well.

Thanks

On 5/29/2017 at 6:00 PM, Dr Farnsworth said:

Steam patched my game up to 1.3.0.1

I was very puzzled when I saw this.  Then I realized the trailing 1 was just part of the build number :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@Angel-125

I submitted a PR to fix a couple of syntax errors in the .version file 

I know you don't support CKAN, that's fine, i'm looking into the problem.  Could you verify and merge the PR, would be nice if you could update the release file as well.

Thanks

I was very puzzled when I saw this.  Then I realized the trailing 1 was just part of the build number :D

I'll take a look this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just one more question and I'll vanish:

You guys ever considered a 0.625m sized snacks tin? It would fit well into cargo bays and at the tip of the Mk1 pod, and with an amount of 50 or 75 snacks inside (my maths says the exact amount is 62.72727273 using the tweakscale method) it would double the mission length at the very least.

Not sure if anyone else had this idea before, since I haven't found anyone to mention it, but it could be seizable.

Awesome work BTW, lot's of likes here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an oddity the other day. I flew a ship with the Brumby pod, the Bigby crew capsule & the 2.5m Snack tin. Crew of six & a total of 2400 Snacks - enough for 133 days. On a mission that lasted over 50 days, not one Snack was consumed. I had other missions flying - space stations & a base - that did consume snacks during that time, but not this flight. Sadly I don't have the log available, but have you ever seen this happen?

I plan on flying that ship design again; if the snack problem persists, I'll see if I can provide a log.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.