[Minimum KSP: 1.12.2] Snacks! - Friendly, Simplified Life Support

Angelo Kerman

16 minutes ago, Krakatoa said:

I'd wager something was installed incorrectly. Can you post a picture of your gamedata? I have a feeling you put snacks directly into your game data rather than WildBlueIndustries/Snacks

Welp, that fixed it! You were absolutely right. I feel so stupid now, seeing as I scanned this thread and saw the instruction to specifically put it under the WildBlueIndustries folder.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the speedy response! I absolutely like this mod and am planning on installing it throughout my playthrough. Thanks a lot!

Edited by johnkeale

18 hours ago, TheEnderman said:

Just need some quick help: Is there any way I can make an MKS Greenhouse produce Snacks? Because my kerbals are quite hungry...

Take a look at MM_Stock in the ModuleManager folder. The patch for the stock MPL (largeCrewLab) has a snack processor that produces snacks from Ore. There is no greenhouse per se, but I do have plans to add one in a “SnacksPlus” extension that might get made at some point. Depends upon how the upcoming EULA changes apply to mods. It would essentially be the same one used in Pathfinder.

Edited by Angel-125

3 hours ago, TheEnderman said:

Ok, thanks! I understand how to copy down the module for a SnackProcesser, but i'm confused where I add it to the MKS Agriculture Module. Ill probably figure it out eventually though.

For any part, you have to fing its config file. It may take some digging to find the right file as I haven’t used MKS in a long time. But once you find the right file it is a simple matter of cut and paste.

I have been experiencing issues with the MPL snack processor. While active it's efficiency goes up to 2500%, drains EC really fast and does not produce snacks equal to the resources consumed.

KSP 1.3.1

Snacks 1.8.7

There's also this:

On 10/02/2018 at 9:46 AM, brusura said:

@Angel-125 in version 1.8.6 there is now the gui for the production efficiency, but it range from 0% to 1% , can you fix in next release?

Thanks

On 3/9/2018 at 10:19 AM, Zio said:

I have been experiencing issues with the MPL snack processor. While active it's efficiency goes up to 2500%, drains EC really fast and does not produce snacks equal to the resources consumed.

KSP 1.3.1

Snacks 1.8.7

There's also this:

I'd need logs and context. As for the processor, you'll have to edit your save and find the SnacksScenario to set the maxValue to 100. It should look something like this:

SnacksProperties
		{
			snacksPerMeal = 1
			mealsPerDay = 3
			enableRandomSnacking = True
			enableRecyclers = True
			recyclerEfficiency2 = 40
			productionEfficiency = 100
		}

@Angel-125

The gui is still broken, the snack processor process at 21600.00 Snacks/day on load, you have to go in the broken gui ( snack settings, processor section ) wich say 100%, touch it and it revert to 1% then the Snackprocessor works correctly:

Snacks 1.9.0

KSP x64 1.4.1

Fresh new sandbox game, vessel is made of Capsule > MPL >  Ore tank

logs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fQRAvKdFt3Z6RRwkbp4s_Y1G6l5VLS6Y

savegame: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DFRIdn-naRvDjcVVawZzmBIHTUz1UN46

I hope it is enough context, you if you need a video on the whole issue I am happy to make it

Edited by brusura

Maybe this is my fault for not reading the change logs, but I just had a rather annoying experience. :/

Apparently, now when you install Snacks! into an existing save file, the "snack tanks" on existing ships start turned off?  I loaded the game after installing and immediately got a warning that my space station was out of snacks, so without stopping to check first, I launched a resupply mission to the station, writing off a few penalties while I waited for the supply ship to rendezvous with the station.  When I got there, however, I discovered that the station was in fact fully stocked, but that the snack tank was just locked. :blush:

Is that working as intended?  I haven't used snacks! in a while, but I vaguely remember previous builds where it calculated how much snacks were on the ships based on their mission duration prior to installing snacks!.

Hi @Angel-125! Thanks for all the hard work!

Quick question, do you know of any mod having a Snacks-supporting 'greenhouse' like part that is of the 1.25m size?

Cheers~

Edit: I suddenly remembered Airline Kuisine has parts of the 1.25m size, but the style is that of the Mk2. I'll probably use those parts if there are no other options, but I'm just wondering if you know of a mod that has a part of the Mk2 style?

Edited by johnkeale
added airline kuisine

1 hour ago, johnkeale said:

Hi @Angel-125! Thanks for all the hard work!

Quick question, do you know of any mod having a Snacks-supporting 'greenhouse' like part that is of the 1.25m size?

Cheers~

Edit: I suddenly remembered Airline Kuisine has parts of the 1.25m size, but the style is that of the Mk2. I'll probably use those parts if there are no other options, but I'm just wondering if you know of a mod that has a part of the Mk2 style?

A Snacks greenhouse? Hm.... Well, there's Pathfinder, Heisenberg, MOLE, and DSEV. All of them have a greenhouse. Basic Snacks doesn't have one but I'm considering a Snacks Plus addon that will add a greenhouse and the option for kerbals to starve to death.

39 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

A Snacks greenhouse? Hm.... Well, there's Pathfinder, Heisenberg, MOLE, and DSEV. All of them have a greenhouse. Basic Snacks doesn't have one but I'm considering a Snacks Plus addon that will add a greenhouse and the option for kerbals to starve to death.

Ooohh, thanks for the response. I'm actually looking for a greenhouse right now. I just launched my first space station consisting mostly of 1.25m size parts. I packed it full of snacks, so there's no problem with that. But Walt Kerman kept nagging me about self-sustainability, so I'm planning on adding a greenhouse up there soon.

AFAIK, Pathfinder's greenhouses are for stationary bases. Though I will install them later and check to see, maybe there is a part I can use. Heisenberg has greenhouse? :o That's cool! I'll check that later too. I'll check MOLE and DSEV later too. Thanks!

@johnkeale 1.25m is not a practical size for any greenhouse worth having. A greenhouse needs to have significant internal volume for both fair gameplay and a fair dose of realism (to contain enough surface area to sustain lots of plants and grow food fast for any practical amount of time, and free internal space so the botanist can move around inside).

Due to Snacks itself not having a true greenhouse (unlike the other WBI mods) neither does Airline Kuisine, but that will change very soon. On the other hand, a 1.25m Soil Recycler or Snack Grinder is very doable.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

41 minutes ago, johnkeale said:

Ooohh, thanks for the response. I'm actually looking for a greenhouse right now. I just launched my first space station consisting mostly of 1.25m size parts. I packed it full of snacks, so there's no problem with that. But Walt Kerman kept nagging me about self-sustainability, so I'm planning on adding a greenhouse up there soon.

AFAIK, Pathfinder's greenhouses are for stationary bases. Though I will install them later and check to see, maybe there is a part I can use. Heisenberg has greenhouse? :o That's cool! I'll check that later too. I'll check MOLE and DSEV later too. Thanks!

The stock Hitchhiker is configured with a soil recycler, and the stock Mobile Processing Lab has a grinder that takes Ore and turns it into Snacks. You can thank the nanoassemblers for that. :) So while there's no greenhouse, you can still produce food out in the field. The greenhouses in my mods are a bit better than the grinder in that you can sometimes produce extra snacks after a growing period. Most likely that functionality will find its way into SnacksPlus.

47 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

1.25m is not a practical size for any greenhouse worth having. A greenhouse needs to have significant internal volume for both fair gameplay and a fair dose of realism (to contain enough surface area to sustain lots of plants and grow food fast for any practical amount of time, and free internal space so the botanist can move around inside).

Haha! I'll be telling that to Walt Kerman. Thanks a bunch :wink:

47 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

On the other hand, a 1.25m Soil Recycler or Snack Grinder is very doable.

45 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

The stock Hitchhiker is configured with a soil recycler, and the stock Mobile Processing Lab has a grinder that takes Ore and turns it into Snacks. You can thank the nanoassemblers for that. :) So while there's no greenhouse, you can still produce food out in the field. The greenhouses in my mods are a bit better than the grinder in that you can sometimes produce extra snacks after a growing period. 

I'm playing in career mode and I set it as a 'step by step' to myself to first build a space station before proceeding to build stationary bases on other bodies. As such, I have no mining facilities yet, so I can't take advantage of the features you have pointed out. Thanks for pointing them out though, and I really am planning to use them once I have built a base on the Mun. Let's not talk about the soil recycling in public. Some Kerbals might might get the wrong idea. :wink:

Mortimer's suggesting to save some funds by first creating ore mining facilities somewhere near KSC. I'll take a look into that. Thanks!

45 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Most likely that functionality will find its way into SnacksPlus.

Looking forward to that!

well i find KBPS very plausible even for snacks and recycling/agricultural processing (also check out my sig :P)

Ooohh, will check this later too. Thanks!

Edited by johnkeale

On 3/23/2018 at 4:13 AM, johnkeale said:

I remember in 1.2 or so there was a mod called "Soylent". Basically it is a re-textured solar panel that uses the sun to grow algae, I doubt it has been updated for a very long time but perhaps it would form a basis for some kind of Snack greenhouse? Kind of Sushi snacks, add soil (assuming it's essence of Kerbal), EC, and liberal free sunlight to produce Nori sheets galore? I am betting that mod could even be updated via MM for a complete license free experience :wink:

Edited by Jahulath
To add the Soylent link for folk

16 minutes ago, Jahulath said:

I remember in 1.2 or so there was a mod called "Soylent". Basically it is a re-textured solar panel that uses the sun to grow algae, I doubt it has been updated for a very long time but perhaps it would form a basis for some kind of Snack greenhouse? Kind of Sushi snacks, add soil (assuming it's essence of Kerbal), EC, and liberal free sunlight to produce Nori sheets galore? I am betting that mod could even be updated via MM for a complete license free experience :wink:

Ooooh. Looks nice! It seems not to support Snacks though, a quick search yielded nothing. I assume this is where MM comes into play? 

Anyway, thanks!

14 minutes ago, johnkeale said:

Ooooh. Looks nice! It seems not to support Snacks though, a quick search yielded nothing. I assume this is where MM comes into play? 

Anyway, thanks!

Yeah pretty much, I took a look at the configs and it wouldn't be so hard to do BUT I can't find a license for Soylent which makes me a bit wary of messing with it. Essentially Soylent is a bunch of MM patches and a couple of .dds textures, depending on whether DBowman would be up for someone messing about with it I could easily get that working for Snacks - after all the only reason I remembered it was that I wanted it for Snacks back when :)

4 hours ago, johnkeale said:

Anyway, thanks!

Yep that definitely works, I just took the MM part of the Snack Recycler and put it into the config file - hey presto a light + EC + soil requiring, bacon flavour, algae machine was born. I bet they taste like Frazzles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frazzles how could any Kerbal resist...

It wouldn't take more than a few tweaks to re-purpose the mod fully to be Snacks based plus it is on a BSD license - nevertheless I have PM'd for permission because it is polite.

Module Manager is documented, 2nd post in the Module Manager thread, but it feels a bit outdated. I've been struggling with a few things that came up after the KSP 1.4.x upgrade, and it's tricky reading.

This old parts set is worth checking for the .cfg files. Some parts (the storage) should still work. The greenhouses have a flaw in how the sun-angle for snack-generation seems to be in the wrong direction for the windows.

https://spacedock.info/mod/943/Snack Parts By Whyren Version 5.2

There are greenhouses, for other life-support systems, in other mods, and I was able to get the config-node for Snack generation in Whyren's greenhouses working in the newer models. Whyren added a DLL that allows snack generation to continue in the background, and that's what might not work. Maybe there's some other general-purpose mod that will provide the same functionality. I think the other calls are all stock functions. I haven't tested in v1.4.x yet

The Stockalike Station Parts Expansion has Snacks generated from the Soil resource, but I don't see a v1.4.x version yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.