[Minimum KSP: 1.12.2] Snacks! - Friendly, Simplified Life Support

Angelo Kerman

On 9/2/2019 at 1:00 PM, sslaptnhablhat said:

@Angel-125 Ever since reinstalling KSP, I've been experiencing really bad framerate drops whenever I open the Vessel Status tab, and these persist until I restart the game. EDIT: It also appears to drastically increase CPU usage when I open the aforementioned tab.

Output log (from a couple days ago, nothing has changed except for me updating Nvidia):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkrxho31mbic793/output_log.txt?dl=0

Other log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwm4bvogty7dma4/KSP.log?dl=0

I don't know if it's the same issue, but here's my situation:

Playing a modded game, having no problems while my probes fly around to survey planets. As soon as I send kerbals, the game runs fine for some minutes and then the frames get really bad. CPU also spikes to 100%, all the time, it gets unplayable. I had a suspicion it was Snacks causing this, so I backed up my save and deleted it. No more problems now.

So, I'm pretty sure this problem is related to Snacks, I just don't know if I can help with anything. I tried resetting the simulator as well, to no avail. My guess is that it's related to the background processing itself, and that it's a leak of some kind, because I can run the game fine for a while, and then it gets really bad.

When it gets to that point, it's still bad inside the VAB/SPH. Does Snacks run the background calculations while there? It's my understanding that the game is "paused" when building crafts....

7 hours ago, Vegetal said:

I don't know if it's the same issue, but here's my situation:

Playing a modded game, having no problems while my probes fly around to survey planets. As soon as I send kerbals, the game runs fine for some minutes and then the frames get really bad. CPU also spikes to 100%, all the time, it gets unplayable. I had a suspicion it was Snacks causing this, so I backed up my save and deleted it. No more problems now.

So, I'm pretty sure this problem is related to Snacks, I just don't know if I can help with anything. I tried resetting the simulator as well, to no avail. My guess is that it's related to the background processing itself, and that it's a leak of some kind, because I can run the game fine for a while, and then it gets really bad.

When it gets to that point, it's still bad inside the VAB/SPH. Does Snacks run the background calculations while there? It's my understanding that the game is "paused" when building crafts....

Almost exactly my issue, though it only happens when I open the Snacks tab in-flight, I can fly crewed crafts without issue.

EDIT: I uninstalled Snacks and now everything is working fine, I guess I'll just have to do without Snacks for now.

Edited by golkaidakhaana

• 2 weeks later...

After a several month hiatus from KSP, I finally loaded this back up yesterday, and got Snacks configured with stress enabled. I looked through the config file, and it doesn't look like there is anything to actually set the "Stressed Out" condition. Am I missing something?

To be more specific:

SKILL_LOSS_CONDITION
{
	name = Stressed Out
}

SKILL_LOSS_CONDITION
{
	name = Relaxing
}

SKILL_LOSS_CONDITION
{
	name = Stargazing
}

Relaxing and Stargazing are set within parts when the converter is activated. Stressed Out is never set by any parts nor by anything else in stress.cfg. The only time it's used is as a precondition for Zen Meditation. I don't see anything which indicates what happens when a check is failed due to offscale high (i.e. stress >100, or whatever the part limit is).

Edited by panarchist
expound

On 10/12/2019 at 3:18 PM, panarchist said:

After a several month hiatus from KSP, I finally loaded this back up yesterday, and got Snacks configured with stress enabled. I looked through the config file, and it doesn't look like there is anything to actually set the "Stressed Out" condition. Am I missing something?

Relaxing and Stargazing are set within parts when the converter is activated. Stressed Out is never set by any parts nor by anything else in stress.cfg. The only time it's used is as a precondition for Zen Meditation. I don't see anything which indicates what happens when a check is failed due to offscale high (i.e. stress >100, or whatever the part limit is).

@Angel-125 Should there be a SET CONDITION name = Stressed Out in the stress.cfg file, or is that part handled in the code somewhere?

@therealcrow999 Just rename Air.txt to Air.cfg. Same thing with Stress if you want that too. Assuming you're in Windows 10 (this might apply to Win7 and 8.1) just go to the View tab in an Explorer window and check the checkbox (to the far right) to show file name extensions. That's how you can change a .txt file to .cfg and so on.

Tiny buggette in the 1.24.0 version.

The Snacks.version file contains the following.

"KSP_VERSION_MIN":{
         "MAJOR":1,
         "MINOR":8,
         "PATCH":99
     },

Looking at other .version files you've put out today they all use KSP_VERSION_MAX while this one triggers a version warning.

7 hours ago, Wolf Baginski said:

Tiny buggette in the 1.24.0 version.

The Snacks.version file contains the following.

"KSP_VERSION_MIN":{
         "MAJOR":1,
         "MINOR":8,
         "PATCH":99
     },

Looking at other .version files you've put out today they all use KSP_VERSION_MAX while this one triggers a version warning.

I should have a patch later today or tomorrow. As with all major updates to KSP, I expect other wonkiness.

So when a Kerbal take a nap for skipping too many meals and they go to sleep for default 1 minute, when they wake up, how long do they stay away before they nap again for 1 minute?

I am thinking about putting this slider up to 1 day nap for missing a lot of meals. But I kind of what to know the answer above before I do that.

18 minutes ago, therealcrow999 said:

So when a Kerbal take a nap for skipping too many meals and they go to sleep for default 1 minute, when they wake up, how long do they stay away before they nap again for 1 minute?

I am thinking about putting this slider up to 1 day nap for missing a lot of meals. But I kind of what to know the answer above before I do that.

Until the next failed check. If you're playing stock Kerbin, and your snacks settings are 3 meals a day, the next check is 2 hours past the previous failed one. On a subsequent failure, the penalty is applied. Basically, it's dependent on how frequent you make meals.

@Angel-125 How does Snacks behave when the day length is not 6 hours? I.E. JNSQ's 12-hour days, or other day lengths?

Edited by panarchist
ask question

6 minutes ago, panarchist said:

Until the next failed check. If you're playing stock Kerbin, and your snacks settings are 3 meals a day, the next check is 2 hours past the previous failed one. On a subsequent failure, the penalty is applied. Basically, it's dependent on how frequent you make meals.

@Angel-125 How does Snacks behave when the day length is not 6 hours? I.E. JNSQ's 12-hour days, or other day lengths?

Yeah I have everything stock in Snacks.

Oh, it does checks. Alright, I think I am going to turn up my nap time. I want a harder penalty, but not death. I put it middle ground 30 mins, I might try the slider all the way up to a day of a nap.

10 minutes ago, panarchist said:

I am also new to Snacks! I was using USI LS, but wanted to try out Snacks since it is updated for 1.8 and now it offers more control over it. I like how it uses stock parts for the processing and recycling. 

Thing I liked about USI LS was when they ran out of "supplies" they became like tourist and couldn't control anything, so a player had to resupply them. I think in Snacks I can get the same useless effects when they starve too, with the naps. I just don't want to go to the extreme, and have death. I am not a fan of that in LS mods. Snacks seems pretty cool, I am going to give it a go.

3 minutes ago, therealcrow999 said:

Oh, it does checks. Alright, I think I am going to turn up my nap time. I want a harder penalty, but not death. I put it middle ground 30 mins, I might try the slider all the way up to a day of a nap.

Just be aware that if you have 3 meals per day and a 1 day nap, those kerbals will never wake up, because the next failed check will apply the penalty before the last penalty has expired. You'd need less than a 2 hour nap if you want them to be able to wake.

30 minutes ago, panarchist said:

Snacks accounts for length of day and length of year in its calculations. It will account for JNSQ’s day and year length.

21 minutes ago, therealcrow999 said:

I am also new to Snacks! I was using USI LS, but wanted to try out Snacks since it is updated for 1.8 and now it offers more control over it. I like how it uses stock parts for the processing and recycling. 

Thing I liked about USI LS was when they ran out of "supplies" they became like tourist and couldn't control anything, so a player had to resupply them. I think in Snacks I can get the same useless effects when they starve too, with the naps. I just don't want to go to the extreme, and have death. I am not a fan of that in LS mods. Snacks seems pretty cool, I am going to give it a go.

Turning kerbals into tourists is not for me. But Snacks has the ability to strip skills without turning kerbals into tourists. It’s used for Stress. I haven’t tried adding it as a penalty for missing Snacks but in theory you could add it to the config for Snacks. Best thing is that if you have need to uninstall Snacks while kerbals have had their skills stripped, they will promptly return after removing Snacks and restarting the game.

2 hours ago, panarchist said:

Just be aware that if you have 3 meals per day and a 1 day nap, those kerbals will never wake up, because the next failed check will apply the penalty before the last penalty has expired. You'd need less than a 2 hour nap if you want them to be able to wake.

So looking at the .cfg, the simulation cycles secondsPerCycle = 3600, which is 1hr. That is when it does the food check? 

What settings do you run? Just the default? I am going to try mid ground with naps like 30mins. 

Just posting here to chime in that I'm also having the 100% cpu issue, if I open the vessel status window the game crawls. There's some sort of mod incompatibility because as soon as I delete the snacks plugin (or just don't open the UI ever) the game does not lag. My logs don't seem to say anything specific unfortunately.

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2019 at 1:51 AM, StormxWolf said:

Just posting here to chime in that I'm also having the 100% cpu issue, if I open the vessel status window the game crawls. There's some sort of mod incompatibility because as soon as I delete the snacks plugin (or just don't open the UI ever) the game does not lag. My logs don't seem to say anything specific unfortunately.

The question here would be how many manned ships/stations/bases/rovers do you have active and how many Kerbals are on these crafts/facilities? This window will be calculating the amount of time each Kerbal has to live (roughly) based on the amount of Snacks that are on each of these crafts/facilities. I have a quite a few active crafts and facilities in my 1.7.3 game and also in my 1.8.1 game. I don't see any lag in my 1.7.3 game (but that's played on my desktop which has an i7 4790K Quad Core 4.0 GHz CPU with 32 GB RAM and is installed on an SSD) but my 1.8.1 game does lag a bit when the UI is open (and that's played on my potato laptop which has an i5 3317U Dual Core 1.7 GHz CPU with 8 GB RAM and is installed on a HDD) so I think it depends on the number of Kerbals and crafts/facilities you have in your game and also the machine you are playing on.

I'm getting my CPU hogged by Snacks! too.

My game has 4 space stations, 1 surface base and a couple of manned ships. To make sure it was the Snacks, I first renamed the .dll and launch the game again. I got about the double of the FPS.

As a final test I changed SimulatorSettings.cfg. I reduced maxThreads to 3 (1 less them my CPU cores) and reducex maxSimulatorCycles to 500. Can't measure for sure but the game seens faster.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.