[Minimum KSP: 1.12.2] Snacks! - Friendly, Simplified Life Support

Angelo Kerman

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Dirt? No. Soil? Yes, it takes into account soil production, it's one of the things that I specifically tested for.

Tested again. For some reason, the simulator simply isnt taking into account converters at all. I put down a command pod, opened the sim window.

Then I added the hitchhiker (tried with other greenhouses/etc) and removed the snacks, but filled the soil meter. No change to the sim window. Ill post logs later.

• 2 weeks later...

AM I missing something about the simulator? The VAB seems to not simulate anything beyond "1.00 Years, 407.00 Days, 1.00 Hours, 27.00 Minutes, 35.38 Seconds". When I fill my ship up with Snacks and FreshAir, it eventually maxes out to that number and goes no further. Even if I then triple my FreshAir supply, it won't go up.

I can also now confirm toric5's observations. While the simulation updates correctly for FreshAir when I turn on the converters, it does NOT update for soil>snacks converter. I just docked a resupply mission to my spacestation and I still only have 142 days on snack use remaining according to the in-flight estimation, whether I turn the converters in my Hitchhiker containers on or off. This DOES seem to correct itself when returning back to the space center.

Edited by helliwolf

• 3 weeks later...

Is there anyway to have the Death Penalty be applied on a non-active craft? I have a capsule with no resources floating in space for years now, but it wont kill off the Kerbal until the craft is active, and then goes past the missed meals. This may be a limitation of what can be done with a mod, but would like to know if its possible and im just doing something wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 11:21 AM, helliwolf said:

AM I missing something about the simulator? The VAB seems to not simulate anything beyond "1.00 Years, 407.00 Days, 1.00 Hours, 27.00 Minutes, 35.38 Seconds". When I fill my ship up with Snacks and FreshAir, it eventually maxes out to that number and goes no further. Even if I then triple my FreshAir supply, it won't go up.

I'm having the same problem. No matter how many snacks containers I add, the simulator always seems to max out at that length of time. Here's a screenshot:

MfnW2KW.png

I have the soil converters in all three Hitchhikers active, and I tried changing one of the snack containers to Snacks+Soil but the estimated duration didn't change. @Angel-125 do you have any idea what is going on? (I'm in 1.10.1 with the latest version of the mod by the way).

Edit: I tested it in an install with only Snacks and MM and it appeared the same. Here's the log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Dq5KJzjXz3gfV9a9VbcJbDqOjQWCito/view?usp=sharing

Edited by RealKerbal3x

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I'm having the same problem. No matter how many snacks containers I add, the simulator always seems to max out at that length of time. Here's a screenshot:

MfnW2KW.png

I have the soil converters in all three Hitchhikers active, and I tried changing one of the snack containers to Snacks+Soil but the estimated duration didn't change. @Angel-125 do you have any idea what is going on? (I'm in 1.10.1 with the latest version of the mod by the way).

Edit: I tested it in an install with only Snacks and MM and it appeared the same. Here's the log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Dq5KJzjXz3gfV9a9VbcJbDqOjQWCito/view?usp=sharing

this is by design....there is an explanation why, somewhere on this thread (forgot where exactly)

Edit here found it

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/149604-minimum-ksp-181-snacks-friendly-simplified-life-support/&do=findComment&comment=3823518

Edited by dtoxic

12 minutes ago, dtoxic said:

this is by design....there is an explanation why, somewhere on this thread (forgot where exactly)

Edit here found it

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/149604-minimum-ksp-181-snacks-friendly-simplified-life-support/&do=findComment&comment=3823518

Ah, ok. Thanks :)

Is there a way to work out how long your supply of snacks will last without the simulator?

Edited by RealKerbal3x

try editing SimulatorSettings.cfg see what happens....i did not try that but as written it will tax your cpu if you put in some ridiculous number (i would guess so) maybe increase slightly to a bigger number and my guess is it will show you beyond 1 year limit,again i did not try this as i am taking a break from ksp until they fix some bugs

as for without simulator...hmmm maybe add exactly the amount snacks that corespondent to 1 year,remembering the number and then doing math gymnastics in the head :D

To calculate snack use without simulator, you need to know how many snacks per meal and meals per day each kerbal consumes. You can find that in your snacks settings (found when you pause the game).

Once you have those two numbers you can calculate the snacks per day per kerbal. Then multiply by your crew size to get total snacks consumed per day. This number is also the total soil produced per day (if you have that feature enabled).

Once you have total snacks per day, divide by the number of snacks that your ship has.

Factoring in recyclers gets trickier. Once you know how much soil you produce, you need to calculate the amount of soil recycled per day (I think the Hitchhiker parts do that).

Once you have the soil recycled per day, you can determine how many snacks are produced by the cycler. Subtract that amount from the total snacks consumed per day to get the net snacks consumed per day. Then take the net snacks consumed per day by the total snacks available to get how many days the snacks will last.

You could also try out the Snacks/Docs/Snacks Trip Planner.xls.

Hi @Angel-125 here is an idea...how about (if possible that is) you leave the current limit to 1year (active simulation) but add a "passive predefined trigger" if we say add enough snacks so it amounts to say 4 years...then the simulation window could say 4 years of snacks (excluding the recyclers,just raw amount) and it would repeat every say 4 years worth of snacks added or when a predefined line is crossed, in this case 4yrs with an upper limit of say 20-30 years

don't know if it;s possible code wise,just throwing ideas around,maybe with a configurable option so the user can tailor it to it;s own needs

It looks like the simulator for the VAB and for the ship in space are different. Are the rates tied together? It would be nice to have the simulator always give an accurate amount in the VAB but not simulate actively beyond the year once the ship is launched. 

I've gotten pretty comfortable with modifying my mod configs since I now have like 100 mods installed, so if the there is a difference between the VAB estimation and the active simulation on the ship, I will just change that. If not, maybe I will just make two config versions and swap them between building and launches of new craft.

• 1 month later...

I've noticed that my kerbals are not actually consuming Snacks. After 1-2 weeks on a Mun mission, traveling between a command module, space station, lander, etc., all parts are still fully stocked with Snacks (and empty of Soil). No ISRU has been involved, and snack levels remain constant on all craft regardless of whether recyclers are present or running. Do I have something set up wrong, or is this a bug?

Logs and persistent.sfs

Settings:

Spoiler
Category Setting Custom
Snacking Snacks per meal 1
Snacking Meals per day 3
Snacking Some kerbals eat more, some eat less FALSE
Snacking Enable recycling TRUE
Snacking Recycler Efficiency 60%
Snacking Production Efficiency 100%
Snacking Consume E.C. in background TRUE
Snacking Enable Debug Log TRUE
Penalties Enable random penalties FALSE
Penalties Hungry kerbals hurt your reputation FALSE
Penalties Rep loss per kerbal per meal Low
Penalties Hungry kerbals hurt your bottom line FALSE
Penalties Fine per kerbal N/A
Penalties Hungry kerbals ruin science FALSE
Penalties Data lost Low
Penalties Hungry kerbals can faint TRUE
Penalties Meals before fainting 15
Penalties Nap time when fainted 1 hour
Penalties Kerbals can starve to death TRUE
Penalties Skipped meals before death 30

Edited by PocketBrotector

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there! Anyone have a problem with the game slowing down when clicking the Snacks button on the bar? I see this in Snacks 1.16 and up. When I load the save and play for a while without pressing the Vessel status button, everything is fine. Then, if I press this button, the frame rate will decrease and more and more over time. At the same time, Air, Stress and Hydrazine are disabled. Snack 1.15 doesn't have this problem.

I think secondsPerCycle in SNACKS_RESOURCE_PROCESSOR is not working correctly.

I have defined a simple water requirement system where 1 kerbal uses 1 drinkingWater every day (6 hours = 21600 seconds). I have a 1 kerbal with 25 drinkingWater in a capsule but the planner says he has 4 days, 1 hour of drinkingWater left. Not 25 days. I'm aslo having similar problems with an air requirement that needs 0.002777777 units of air every 60 seconds which equates to ~ 1 air every day.  But it says it has 1 year, 407 days, 1 hour, 27 minutes, 35.38 seconds left. Instead of the also 25 days.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PocketBrotector said:

I've noticed in KSP 1.11 that the EVA jetpack expends not only EVAPropellant... but also Snacks! I presume this is a bug in stock KSP, but it's something to watch out for during those long EVAs.

LOL! Sounds like something that Squad did messed up EVA resource consumption. That didn't happen before KSP 1.11. I'm waiting on KSP 1.11.1, but I'm also already thinking of a Snack Pack stock cargo part that the kerbals on EVA would consume. Thinking aloud here... You'd be able to "Pack Snacks" in a crew module like a Hitchhikker, Mk3 cabin, or Mk2 cabin. That will pull resources from your vessel to create a Snack Pack and store it in your stock inventory. Then take a Snack Pack with you on EVA. When the snack timer goes off, for kerbals on EVA, you'll receive a message ("You're not you when you're hungry") have a minute or so to consume your SnackPack before you incur penalties. Finally, you'd have a new "Take a Snack break" in the EVA part action window that will consume the Snack Pack.

Heyas, my persistence.sfs contains a Snacks section and there I have noticed a typo where I'm not sure if it's a big issue or hassle tho.

Spoiler

SnackPenalties
		{
			enableRandomPenalties = False
			loseRepWhenHungry = True
			repLostWhenHungry = Low
			loseFundsWhenHuntry = True // should be -> loseFundsWhenHungry 
			finePerKerbal = 10000
			loseScienceWhenHungry = False
			dataLostWhenHungry = Low
			faintWhenHungry = False
			mealsBeforeFainting = 3
			napTime = OneMinute
			canStarveToDeath = False
			mealsSkippedBeforeDeath = 42
		}

I have found the corresponding part in your source:
.. /Snacks/SettingsAndScenario/SnacksProperties.cs

I'm just trying to  drop constructive critics :)

On 1/25/2021 at 9:38 AM, PocketBrotector said:

I've noticed in KSP 1.11 that the EVA jetpack expends not only EVAPropellant... but also Snacks! I presume this is a bug in stock KSP, but it's something to watch out for during those long EVAs.

As a followup here, I've noticed that the buggy behavior is even weirder than expected. This kerbal is carrying 1 unit of Snacks as expected, but the resource panel claims he is carrying Snacks equal to 1 + the amount of EVA propellant in his jetpack.

Spoiler

MLAYG8C.png

So I don't know if this is just a display bug, or if something is deeply wrong on Squad's end with how resources are handled during EVA.

On 1/29/2021 at 6:36 PM, PocketBrotector said:

So I don't know if this is just a display bug, or if something is deeply wrong on Squad's end with how resources are handled during EVA.

They fixed something in 1.11.1 about refueling in EVA. I don't know if it's related...

Fix Jetpack andf EVACylinder refill only working with EVA Propellan

EDIT : they added a flag in the cfg of the jetpack to tell if refueling is possible : https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/26944#note-5

Edited by Goufalite
explanation of the fix

On 1/30/2021 at 12:56 PM, Goufalite said:

They fixed something in 1.11.1 about refueling in EVA. I don't know if it's related...

EDIT : they added a flag in the cfg of the jetpack to tell if refueling is possible : https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/26944#note-5

Yes, I am still on 1.11.0 and need to update to 1.11.1 and investigate further before working this up as a bug report on the Squad tracker. The issue you linked to is mine and may or may not be tangentially related.

Edit: added the EVA resource display bug report here.

• 2 weeks later...

How does Snacks determine the length of a day for calculations such as "Number of Meals per Day"? I have been using Snacks with GEP Primary and I noticed my crew are eating very little. I made two test cases to try and lock down the issue. Both tests were ran using the following snacks settings:

• 1 Snack per Meal
  • 3 Meals per Day
  • The option "Some Kerbals eat more, some eat less" was turned off (wanted to eliminate as many sources of variation)

Our test craft for both tests was the Mk 1 capsule with one crew occupying it. Both tests were run with the KSP 1.11.1 and the latest version of Snacks. I should note that my GEP game is in 1.8.1, but the latest version of Snacks is compatible that far back, so the game version should not be a factor here.

Case #1: Snacks + the Stock solar system:

Spoiler

This is a control test. Expected result is that Snacks is working properly, so 3 snacks should be consumed per day. The first meal should occur somewhere around the two hour mark.

Results:

38B580l.png

And everything went as expected. After just over two hours the first meal occurred and the number of snacks dropped by 1. Ran the test until 3 snacks were consumed and the total time for that to happen was 6 hours 5 minutes.

Case #2: GEP v1.2.3 (with the GEP_Primary folder included) + Kronometer v1.11.0-1 + Snacks

Spoiler

The Kronometer config for GEP_Primary was recently updated to bring back a 6 hour day. With the Kronometer plugin, I was expecting results to fall in line with the stock results since every 6 hours increases the Day count on the timer. 

Results:

xODbvD8.png

It took just under 31 hours for a single meal to take place.

It appears that Snacks goes off the orbital parameters of the home planet to determine the length of a day, not the actual game time. The home planet in GEP_Primary, Nodens, has an orbital period of 45 hours, a rotation period of 67.5 hours, and a solar day of 90 hours (these values are taken from documentation provided in the GEP download). Based on my findings, Snacks is likely using a solar day as its definition for a Day, as extrapolating out the time required to consume 3 Snacks is around 90 hours (the extra hour seen in this test is the same variation seen in the stock test, though the values are higher. This test took 30 hours and 50 minutes, but I did see it as low as 30 hours and 15 minutes.)

Is this conclusion (the length of one day in Snacks = the length of one Solar Day on the home planet) consistent with how Snacks is coded? If so, then it sounds like my only course of action is to increase the # of snacks per meal option so that it would be consistent with the consumption rate if the solar day of the home planet was 6 hours.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.