[Minimum KSP: 1.12.2] Snacks! - Friendly, Simplified Life Support

Angelo Kerman

25 minutes ago, RP1IsSuperior said:

I have an issue where if I open the snacks GUI while in flight, it dramatically decreases my game performance, like it goes from 60fps to 15, then from 15 to 2, and the only way to fix it is a game restart. Any ideas on how to fix?

You can start by providing a log file, so we co yo ld see if anything odx is going on

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Angel! I love this mod and I wanna know: is it possible that this mod is compatible with the stock inventory system?

For example making players able to place like, 50 snacks in a SEQ-3 storage unit and being able to take them out, then place them into the inventory of a kerbal, walk to a base then place the snacks in said base.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2016 at 11:38 AM, Angel-125 said:

Stress - Cramped quarters can stress out kerbals and they’ll refuse to work! They aren’t tourists, they’ll just stop using their skills to help your mission. Other events cause Stress as well. Reduce Stress by hanging out in the stock Hitchhiker- but kerbals won’t have their skills available while they rest.

Oh! I'll have to look into that! It sounds interesting!

18 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

@Angel-125, how would I go about writing a Stress-LS mod based off of your Snacks framework?

. There is already a Stress config founf in the Lifeasupport resources folder. Just rename the filenfrom .txt to .cfg

To make your own version of Stress, there are plenty of comments in that config file as well as on the wiki that should explain how it works :)

8 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

. There is already a Stress config founf in the Lifeasupport resources folder. Just rename the filenfrom .txt to .cfg

To make your own version of Stress, there are plenty of comments in that config file as well as on the wiki that should explain how it works :)

Thanks! :grin:

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 4:44 PM, PocketBrotector said:

While looking through my save file for something unrelated, I stumbled upon the likely reason for this. (And looking back through my posts in this thread, I think I had the same issue, for the same reason, back in 2017, but never found out why until now.)

SnacksScenario is full of stock kerbal names ("Xyz Kerman"). But I'm using KerbalRenamer, which means my kerbals aren't using those stock names (instead e.g. "Jane Doe"). I'm guessing that the Snacks tracking data is generated for each kerbal before KerbalRenamer intercepts them and renames them; then Snacks loses track of them and they stop eating or getting hungry. Or something along those lines, anyway. 

@Angel-125, is there a good way around this issue? 

On 2/15/2021 at 5:44 PM, Angel-125 said:

Not easily. I'll have to look and see how KerbalRenamer works.

Heya - wanted to inquire about whether this is still on your radar to be addressed. (Or, for that matter if this was already addressed - I've been taking a break from KSP for most of this year, but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the changelogs.)

If no fix is planned, may I suggest adding metadata to CKAN so that KerbalRenamer is listed as a known incompatibility for Snacks?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 6:21 AM, PocketBrotector said:

Heya - wanted to inquire about whether this is still on your radar to be addressed. (Or, for that matter if this was already addressed - I've been taking a break from KSP for most of this year, but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the changelogs.)

If no fix is planned, may I suggest adding metadata to CKAN so that KerbalRenamer is listed as a known incompatibility for Snacks?

At present I don't have the bandwidth to address this.

I think I've got a bug for you. At a certain point the simulator doesn't add and extra time to the report. I've been having to calculate long-duration missions manually. Otherwise, fantastic mod. Just the balance I was looking for. Kudos to you :)

Screenshot

Edited by Squire

I also have a problem too..When I am not focus on the vessels and bases, The snack amount didn't increase at all! It keeps decreasing when kerbals are present...... even if I turned on Snack processor on the Mobile Lab. Is it a bug? 

On 1/15/2022 at 12:29 PM, Squire said:

I think I've got a bug for you. At a certain point the simulator doesn't add and extra time to the report. I've been having to calculate long-duration missions manually. Otherwise, fantastic mod. Just the balance I was looking for. Kudos to you :)

Screenshot

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome mod. I like it and am hoping to use it in some very custom game streams. I was wondering though if it is possible to add another food resource alongside the snacks without interfering with them. I have an idea to add food pills as an additional food resource for when snacks run out. However, while I understand how to add the resource to the game, including through your mod, I don't understand how to make the Kerbals wait to eat them until after the Snacks are gone. I want something that will let the Kerbals survive longer, but is something they don't like as well to eat. Maybe it could cause them a little added stress when they are living off food pills without snacks or something. Also, I want some greenhouses I got through some other mods to manufacture snacks and food pills using water, minerals and electricity instead of the ISRU unit using ore. I have an idea how to do this, though it would require me to edit each of those parts. Do you have any suggestions or ideas to make it easier? I've been playing KSP for a little less then a year and I'm still pretty new to creating or editing KSP mods.

Edited by SSJReeves358

24 minutes ago, SSJReeves358 said:

Awesome mod. I like it and am hoping to use it in some very custom game streams. I was wondering though if it is possible to add another food resource alongside the snacks without interfering with them. I have an idea to add food pills as an additional food resource for when snacks run out. However, while I understand how to add the resource to the game, including through your mod, I don't understand how to make the Kerbals wait to eat them until after the Snacks are gone. I want something that will let the Kerbals survive longer, but is something they don't like as well to eat. Maybe it could cause them a little added stress when they are living off food pills without snacks or something. Also, I want some greenhouses I got through some other mods to manufacture snacks and food pills using water, minerals and electricity instead of the ISRU unit using ore. I have an idea how to do this, though it would require me to edit each of those parts. Do you have any suggestions or ideas to make it easier? I've been playing KSP for a little less then a year and I'm still pretty new to creating or editing KSP mods.

I could write a patch for you that adds some sort of compact survival food that needs to be converted into snacks!

49 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

I could write a patch for you that adds some sort of compact survival food that needs to be converted into snacks!

That is actually an interesting idea, though it isn't quite what I had in mind. And I think I understand how to do something like that myself. I have already added some special resource conversions into my game install, so another wouldn't be hard. And using the templates in this mod I can add the resource myself. Thank you though. I will still think over your offer but will also keep playing around with the mod and see what I can come up with.

After I posted earlier it dawned on me that instead of having the food pills not eaten until after the snacks run out, maybe I can have the food pills eaten at the same time as the snacks and just reduce the number of snacks the kerbals eat. Then I can also have the snacks cancel out the stress from eating the food pills. But once the snacks run out, then there will be nothing to cancel the small amount of stress.

@SSJReeves358 You're going to need coding skills in order to realize that "desperation scenario" concerning your food pills resource. There might be something that you can figure out from studying how the HydrazineVodka modlet works, but it will be far from perfect because this use case "When resource A runs out, start using resource B and produce relevant side-effects" is not at all common, and not expected to be found in any mods, actually.

Coincidentally, I thought of something like this a few times when I thought of mods or gameplay mechanics that add dimension to how life support resources work. It would really be interesting to have something like this.

Given the purpose of the pills (to be unappetizing and indeed meant to be a last resort), it works much better as that than as padding for the main resource, and so it starts to look redundant.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@SSJReeves358 You're going to need coding skills in order to realize that "desperation scenario" concerning your food pills resource. There might be something that you can figure out from studying how the HydrazineVodka modlet works, but it will be far from perfect because this use case "When resource A runs out, start using resource B and produce relevant side-effects" is not at all common, and not expected to be found in any mods, actually.

Coincidentally, I thought of something like this a few times when I thought of mods or gameplay mechanics that add dimension to how life support resources work. It would really be interesting to have something like this.

Given the purpose of the pills (to be unappetizing and indeed meant to be a last resort), it works much better as that than as padding for the main resource, and so it starts to look redundant.

Well, maybe you're right and it is redundant. I was just thinking it would be cool. But it would make it more complex. As for the coding skills, I have that. Been coding for a good while now, even have some plans for my own mobile games. Just need to get them finished. I know KSP is built with Unity and C# and I have some experience with those too, just need to do some refreshers.

On 1/31/2022 at 3:59 PM, SSJReeves358 said:

Well, maybe you're right and it is redundant. I was just thinking it would be cool. But it would make it more complex. As for the coding skills, I have that. Been coding for a good while now, even have some plans for my own mobile games. Just need to get them finished. I know KSP is built with Unity and C# and I have some experience with those too, just need to do some refreshers.

Nevermind, I have a different idea now, one I think will be better, and not too complex ether. Thanks for all your suggestions and advice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Snacks (plus another mod) causes the stock science bay (MPL-LG-2) to disappear in 1.12.3. This took two loveing hours for me to diagnose thanks to the way KSP handles file loading. I've confirmed that all other mods from all other sources are perfectly fine, but adding Snacks to the list causes it to disappear. Removing all mods except Snacks makes it show up, which means it's an interplay error that affects only this one part, out of all the hundreds added by however many mods I have. How do I diagnose this?

13 hours ago, BrobDingnag said:

Snacks (plus another mod) causes the stock science bay (MPL-LG-2) to disappear in 1.12.3. This took two loveing hours for me to diagnose thanks to the way KSP handles file loading. I've confirmed that all other mods from all other sources are perfectly fine, but adding Snacks to the list causes it to disappear. Removing all mods except Snacks makes it show up, which means it's an interplay error that affects only this one part, out of all the hundreds added by however many mods I have. How do I diagnose this?

In your root KSP folder, there's a folder called "Logs", and inside that there's a "ModuleManager" folder.  Open the file "ModuleManager.log" and search through it for every instance of "Large_Crewed_Lab".

If the line starts with "Applying update", then that's a ModuleManager patch being applied. You should be able to work out which mod is applying each update.

In your GameData folder, there's a file called "ModuleManager.cache". Open that in a text editor, and search for "Large_Crewed_Lab" until you find this line:

name = Large_Crewed_Lab

This is the final part config after all patches are applied. If there's no such part, then something is deleting it.

If the lines "TechRequired",  "category",  and "subcategory" are anything like "none" or "hidden", then something is hiding that part.

Edited by UnanimousCoward
Typo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.