[Minimum KSP: 1.12.2] Snacks! - Friendly, Simplified Life Support

Angelo Kerman

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

lol really appreciate seeing this... of course Kerbfleet general orders prohibit anyone piloting a ship under the influence -- might be interesting (and educational!) to disable SAS and lag controls by a few seconds whenever a crew has been drinking hydrazine :D

Interesting idea! :) Right now, there's a chance that the kerbal will pass out from drinking, effectively rendering him or her useless. In game it's the same thing that happens when you pull too many gees. I do have the ability to remove crew skills- it happens when a kerbal gets Stressed Out or is "Relaxing" while running an entertainment center- and they currently go for the Hydrazine only when they're Stressed Out, so hopefully that covers the general orders. :)

@Operation_Blackbird This doesn't look like Snacks, more like TAC Life Support. Can't help you there, sorry.

But for those running Snacks:

Snacks 1.25.1 is now available:

- Fix SnacksConverter not restoring skills when the converter is activated and a kerbal transfers to another part.
- You can now estimate a vessel's max Stress capacity in the VAB/SPH. Requires Stress to be enabled (rename the Stress.txt file in LifeSupportResources folder to Stress.cfg).

New Feature
- Stresstimator: If you have Stress enabled, then you'll get a new button in the in-flight Snacks window to open the Stresstimator. This window helps you estimate the max Stress that your crew can take based on the crewable parts that you select. Since kerbals can get Stressed Out when moving from vessels with a lot of available crew capacity to vessels without much available crew capacity, the Stresstimator helps you avoid kerbals getting Stressed Out if they have accumulated Stress, you move them to a docked vessel, and then undock the vessel. Given the game design, it's very difficult to do the Stress estimate automagically, so the Stresstimator is better than nothing...

Edited by Angel-125

12 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

And of course, there's this possible feature as well (Eve Order Zero, Chapter 8):

Hm... Snacks has a powerful event system now, and I might be able to make that work. I could record the number of drinks a kerbal has had and use that to determine if they'll pass out or lose their skills. I also have the ability to let them "Detox" by sticking them in a crew cabin and running a converter... they'd lose their skills while detoxing too.

6 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

@Operation_Blackbird This doesn't look like Snacks, more like TAC Life Support. Can't help you there, sorry.

But for those running Snacks:

Snacks 1.25.1 is now available:

- Fix SnacksConverter not restoring skills when the converter is activated and a kerbal transfers to another part.
- You can now estimate a vessel's max Stress capacity in the VAB/SPH. Requires Stress to be enabled (rename the Stress.txt file in LifeSupportResources folder to Stress.cfg).

New Feature
- Stresstimator: If you have Stress enabled, then you'll get a new button in the in-flight Snacks window to open the Stresstimator. This window helps you estimate the max Stress that your crew can take based on the crewable parts that you select. Since kerbals can get Stressed Out when moving from vessels with a lot of available crew capacity to vessels without much available crew capacity, the Stresstimator helps you avoid kerbals getting Stressed Out if they have accumulated Stress, you move them to a docked vessel, and then undock the vessel. Given the game design, it's very difficult to do the Stress estimate automagically, so the Stresstimator is better than nothing...

Yeah, I released just now I posted it in the wrong location, sorry!

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

- Fix corrected density of Hydrazine.

I admit, reading this changelog made me think "what the heck are you doing changing the density of something in the CRP?"

And then I looked at what actually changed, and lol'd. Clever and hilarious, though I'm glad it's optional.

Eventually each of my kerbals end up eating the same 3 snacks over and over again once I get to the point of making interplanetary ships. I'm not in this for super heavy realism. :D

Edited by etmoonshade

1 hour ago, etmoonshade said:

I admit, reading this changelog made me think "what the heck are you doing changing the density of something in the CRP?"

And then I looked at what actually changed, and lol'd. Clever and hilarious, though I'm glad it's optional.

Eventually each of my kerbals end up eating the same 3 snacks over and over again once I get to the point of making interplanetary ships. I'm not in this for super heavy realism. :D

Like Stress and FreshAir, "Hydrazine" is optional. What's nice about Snacks (after my rewrite) is that you can add and track pretty much any life support resources that you want. So if you wanted to track Water, you could. :)

One thing I keep thinking about though is radiation... Kerbals accumulate Bananas and at a certain point they could die or be more prone to getting Stressed Out. It would be a resource that accumulates  when you traverse certain regions of space or when you have some event. Not sure it will happen as I'd have to think about its utility and usefulness.

Thanks for keeping this mod alive!  I think it's the most Kerbally (and therefore most enjoyable) life support mod.

I am having a couple of issues.  I'm running KSP 1.81. on Linux with Snacks v1.25.2 installed by CKAN.

First, I'm having trouble figuring out how much Snacks should be produced by the Mobile Processing Unit.  As seen below, it reports "Max Production: 21.60 Snacks/day", but I get more like 4 or 5.  I thought maybe the Kerbals were eating the rest (though that seemed too many), but when they stepped outside to faint, er, relax, the accumulation rate actually went down a little.  (10 days with Kerbals gave me about 48 snacks, then 10 days without them gave me 44).  There seems to be plenty of power and ore.

FAOurNG.png

Second, I can't see the Snacks entries in the KSPedia.  I do see this in the Player.log file:

(Filename: ./Runtime/Serialize/SerializedFile.cpp Line: 204)

The AssetBundle 'file:///home/purtill/games/KSP/KSP_linux_1.8.1.ckan/GameData/WildBlueIndustries/Snacks/KSPedia/snacks.ksp' can't be loaded because it was not built with the right version or build target.

(Filename: ./Modules/AssetBundle/Public/AssetBundleLoadFromAsyncOperation.cpp Line: 445)

Error while getting Asset Bundle: The AssetBundle 'file:///home/purtill/games/KSP/KSP_linux_1.8.1.ckan/GameData/WildBlueIndustries/Snacks/KSPedia/snacks.ksp' can't be loaded because it was not built with the right version or build target.
AssetLoader: Bundle is null

Maybe a Linux thing you can't do anything about, but I do see entries from other mods (DMagic, SCANsat and Universal Storage).

9 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Like Stress and FreshAir, "Hydrazine" is optional. What's nice about Snacks (after my rewrite) is that you can add and track pretty much any life support resources that you want. So if you wanted to track Water, you could. :)

One thing I keep thinking about though is radiation... Kerbals accumulate Bananas and at a certain point they could die or be more prone to getting Stressed Out. It would be a resource that accumulates  when you traverse certain regions of space or when you have some event. Not sure it will happen as I'd have to think about its utility and usefulness.

Modularity is the best. :D

For what it's worth, I've been using Snacks! since the early days and what attracted me to it was its simplicity. I installed it, I suddenly had one resource to plan around for long missions, and I (originally) didn't have a lot of configuration to muck around with.

I probably would have skipped over it if there had been a bunch of other options mentioned. Snacks seems to fill that "life support lite" niche - adding too many options would have made me worry that, like some of the other more complex mods, it'd change a bunch of stuff (some of which may be being used by other mods I have.)

Obviously Snacks! doesn't do that, but it's the type of thing I worry about when I'm deciding whether I want to get a mod - it takes me a while to start KSP, so my first step is to skim the description in CKAN, look at the files it edits, and skim the forum post. At that point, I'll "judge the book by its cover"

I'm not saying "don't do it' and I'm not saying "screw you i'm never using snacks again if you do it" - I'm just pointing out my thought processes when looking at mods like this.

A set of different mods such as "Here's the Snacks! mod, with all your basic snacking needs!" "Here's the Drinks! mod, which depends on Snacks! and adds water consumption and drunken engineers!" and "Here's the Bananas! mod, which depends on Snacks! and adds radiation mechanics!" would make it more clearly modular, and let people add/remove the components easily in CKAN.

And the stress part could be called "Crackin'! mod, which makes Kerbals stir-crazy!" And gives you a Kraken joke. :D

The big downside to it is that it'd probably be a lot harder to maintain it like this. Again, just thinking it through while I wait to feed the cat. Who says "jukii3e4r5" because she walks on the keyboard when she's trying to annoy me into feeding her early*. :P

* kitty has been fed now that the feeding alarm has gone off. She is now fat, happy, and utterly ignoring me because I am no longer useful to her.

Hi! First I want to thank you for maintaning this awesome mod. I love Snacks!. However, I've found some issues with background processing (I think), since CPU usage is being incredibily aggressive. What is strange from my point of view is that 3 threads are used, and even if I set Cycles to a very low number (i.e. 50), the CPU will still take ~100% per core (i.e. on my mac I'm getting 300% usage with 3 threads). Given the code, it should be really faster, furthermore CPU usage keeps high even in the VAB/SPH, and this is making me think about some memory leak.

I've got only one space station with 2 kerbals and a soil recycler running (the SSPx greenhouse). Whenever I press the "Snacks!" toolbar button the CPU goes high and it never slows down. I'll try to debug it better with different situation. I didn't find nothing in the logs, however I can upload them if you'd like to dig into the issue. Thank you again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 6:06 PM, Angel-125 said:

The simulator doesn't run forever in order to not tie up CPU resources. It stops after a year. You can change the max duration in the SimulatorSettings.cfg file.

I've just come back to the forum after a long hiatus from KSPing and found your reply. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question

x

4 hours ago, miguelsgamingch said:

I Really Want This Mod, But Im Worried, This will apply to my saves, and my current space stations, well there all gonna die when i add this mod.

I Have 20+ Space Stations, How The Hell Im I Gonna Refil all the foods on my saves!?!?

By default, Snacks adds a certain amount of food to every module capable of holding crew, which means you'll have supplies even if you don't have any dedicated Snacks containers on your craft. It also doesn't kill Kerbals if you run out of food, just incapacitates them, so I think you should be able to add this mod to your saves just fine. But make a backup, just in case :wink:

Edited by RealKerbal3x

24 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

By default, Snacks adds a certain amount of food to every module capable of holding crew, which means you'll have supplies even if you don't have any dedicated Snacks containers on your craft. It also doesn't kill Kerbals if you run out of food, just incapacitates them, so I think you should be able to add this mod to your saves just fine. But make a backup, just in case :wink:

Thanks for the answer.

But Question, How do i make a backup save?

35 minutes ago, miguelsgamingch said:

But Question, How do i make a backup save?

You can just make a named quicksave using Alt-F5 before you install the mod, then if installing it breaks something you can just remove Snacks and reload the quicksave using Alt-F9.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 5:47 PM, coredumpster said:

I will also note that with background EC consumption disabled, I did receive one warning for each background vessel that it does not have enough soil to continue operating the recyclers.  So the systems are now properly recycling in the background at the rate expected.  ( I sized my crew and recycler capacity so that recycler rate would exceed the soil production rate of the crew to maximize my Snacks supply duration ).

On 8/6/2020 at 7:12 PM, etmoonshade said:

Well, this isn't working as expected.

I quoted the above from 26 Sep because I see the same thing - running at high timewarp, I get a report that my soil recyclers are no longer working due to lack of soil... but (apparently) unlike the above, the recyclers don't seem to start back up until I switch to the ship again. I'll return to full soil, almost empty snacks.

I get a similar issue when my snack storage is full and the recyclers can't convert any more soil - the recyclers seem to stop until I switch back to the craft.

Any insight into what I'm doing wrong, or if this is just a bug?

I was never able to get it working consistently with higher warps, so I ended up disabling many of the snacks penalties due to the issues, which then kind of defeated the purpose ( for me ), and I eventually removed the Snacks! mod when I moved on to playing JNSQ for a different challenge.

For my end-game playout, I usually have a permanent station/base in Duna system, with a pair of cyclers moving cargo and personnel back and forth to Kerbin, and a couple of long-duration deep-space exploration ships/landers headed out to the far reaches of the system ( with either OPM or JNSQ making that even further ).  So not being able to use high warps and having to keep jumping between vessels to restart processing becomes a big pain.

At some point I'll likely give it a go again, but not until there's better handling of the resource processing at warp / background.  That's long been a challenge for most life support-type mods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.