1.3 - What will it have?

7 hours ago, Hannu2 said:

In my opinion they have concentrated last years too much on Kerbin's surface and atmosphere. There should be finally something to do on planets. I hope that now when so many crew members, including the boss, have changed, there is a little bit hope that new guys lift the old ban against procedural terrain and science generation and make an exploration update. It would have better terrains (I prefer physical functions over fancy graphics) and procedurally generated special places to find science and resources to keep every new save interesting. If it will not be 1.3, then later. I am certainly ready to pay several tens of euros for it, if it is necessary to keep the development running, but I will not pay for better graphics. I think that I have already got very fair amount of entertainment compared to the price I paid (actually I felt it about 10 minutes after I got my first paid version, 0.18.0).

The problem with procedural generation is that Kerbin wouldn't be Kerbin, Minmus wouldn't be Minmus. It would also kill certain forums challenges. What I would like to see is other solar systems possibly, and maybe more planets/moons?

25 minutes ago, Combatsmithen said:

The problem with procedural generation is that Kerbin wouldn't be Kerbin, Minmus wouldn't be Minmus. It would also kill certain forums challenges.

No. Just plain NO!

You can run the procedure on a random seed but also on a fixed seed. Each time you run the procedure on a fixed seed the outcome will be identical.
For example look at No Man's Sky. Despite all it's flaws it is an excellent example of procedurally generated planets. It is absolutely undoable to build models for all of the 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 individual and unique planets. But if two persons ever visit the same planet, even if it is weeks, months or years apart, they will see the same surface.

Procedurally generated does NOT mean random. Period. End of discussion.

Edited by Tex_NL

41 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

No. Just plain NO!

You can run the procedure on a random seed but also on a fixed seed. Each time you run the procedure on a fixed seed the outcome will be identical.
For example look at No Man's Sky. Despite all it's flaws it is an excellent example of procedurally generated planets. It is absolutely undoable to build models for all of the 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 individual and unique planets. But if two persons ever visit the same planet, even if it is weeks, months or years apart, they will see the same surface.

Procedurally generated does NOT mean random. Period. End of discussion.

I agree with you, but I think there is a point that recreating planets that were hand-modeled using procedural techniques and getting them to look precisely the same so ground stations aren't lost... that could be tricky.

Assuming 1.3 has been confirmed (I never saw an official statement from the Devs/Squad with my own eyes, but it was listed as a fact in that list of facts and rumours someone posted after the outrage of the 8 Devs leaving), I don't have much doubt that we'll get overhauled parts, I mean what's the point in a 1.3 otherwise, right? As mentioned, work on them had already started, Porkjet made nice illustrations showing the plan of how these parts would look, so the only thing of concern left is who's gonna make them? 

Roverdude is still on the team, so I'm gonna figure he's our best bet. I mean, maybe he won't be the only one working on them, I'm sure it's possible other artists/modelers will also be contributing, but from what I've seen of his works I think he can match the intents of what Porkjet aimed to achieve (or, assuming he already knew he was leaving, the groundwork plan that he'd expect to be completed in the hands of others). 

3 hours ago, Combatsmithen said:

The problem with procedural generation is that Kerbin wouldn't be Kerbin, Minmus wouldn't be Minmus. It would also kill certain forums challenges. What I would like to see is other solar systems possibly, and maybe more planets/moons?

There is a very trivial solution. There would be the "official" default seed which would give the reference world for competitions and challenges. It would give also the same world to all beginners and they could get coordinates of rewarding locations places from forums or youtube if they did not want to explore.

Maybe there could be two seeds. One for the terrains and another for resources. Then it would be possible to get standard topography in every save but resources should be explored again in every game.

I think a comprehensive graphics/parts revamp would be great, but they first need to hire an art team, and decide on a direction to go in (stick with PorkJet's or move on?) With PorkJet gone it is unlikely that we will get such an update in the near future, IMO.

Considering the trouble that Twitch streamer "Million Lights" went through when launching a heavy vessel on the launchpad with extended landing legs; Better landing leg physics when loading physics on lauchpad/runway.

I really wish for a Space station overhaul:

IVA overhaul:: Basically rasterprop screens and stuff, but also ability to move inside your ship / spacestation.

Ability to build when out, like KIS, but maybe something more realistic?

Optional needs for kerbals:: food, water etc.

And also orbital survey overhaul

real time scanning

more scan types(heightmap, resources, biome)

19 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Based on past experience, my guess is that in 1.3 Squad will add:

• More tourism contracts for Eeloo
  • A system for customizing solar panels
  • Boat parts

I quess the boat parts are saved for a paid DLC

Edited by Kerbonaut905

On 10.10.2016 at 9:52 PM, Codraroll said:

Luckily, Porkjet isn't the only person in the world capable of revamping the rocket parts. He might have a unique and beloved style we've all come to know and love, but there has to be artists out there who could take on the same job. No, they wouldn't be Porkjet, but they could probably fulfill the criteria nevertheless.

So yes, I think 1.3 will have revamped rocket parts, even though Porkjet won't be the one doing it.

Also, the devs have scattered Monoliths all over the place in 1.2. There are new monoliths on Ike, Eeloo, Vall and Laythe now, probably elsewhere too. It could be that they are reviving NovaSilisko's old idea of a "story", where the Monoliths play a crucial part. I could see it happen primarily in an expansion pack, but perhaps 1.3 will expand on it too. Who knows?

They have added more? Interesting. 

On 11.10.2016 at 4:14 PM, Combatsmithen said:

Mun surface use procedural generation of surface details. This could be added to other bodies, biome specified so Minmus seas would have fewer craters. 

Stock Chatterer and more surface experiments, like ones that require multiple Kerbals to use.. Right now, there is no real reason for a colony or station (besides refuelling) as all the experiments could be done with 1 small lander/orbiter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.