1.3 - What will it have?

I'm going to hope, that 1.3 will see a graphics update. As beautiful as stock KSP is sometimes, its quite annoying that I have to rely on mods (that don't always work for me, no idea why) to treat myself to some eye candy. If they made, say, Galileo's SVE and STE stock, then I'd play my heart out of KSP just because it looks so appealing. I'd want to visit a world that looks interesting, and at the moment KSP planets as interesting as they are on the surface, from above they look incredibly dull.

I'd also like to see life support, and/or reasons to go interplanetary, and/or have space stations other than for a couple of minutes worth of science and refuelling. Maybe habitat modules, greenhouses, laboratories, snacks and whatnot. Coupled with that planetary base mod, building planetary base stations would be so much more rewarding and interesting to do. Perhaps space telescopes could be added too, that'd be pretty wizard.

Something else I'd like to see is a new planet. An ice giant, more specifically, an analogy of Uranus or Neptune, with a couple of moons. Perhaps one could be an analogy of Triton, the Neptunian moon in retrograde orbit, and the second moon could be Eeloo, or another.

1 hour ago, SpaceYorkie said:

I'm going to hope, that 1.3 will see a graphics update. As beautiful as stock KSP is sometimes, its quite annoying that I have to rely on mods (that don't always work for me, no idea why) to treat myself to some eye candy. If they made, say, Galileo's SVE and STE stock, then I'd play my heart out of KSP just because it looks so appealing. I'd want to visit a world that looks interesting, and at the moment KSP planets as interesting as they are on the surface, from above they look incredibly dull.

I'd also like to see life support, and/or reasons to go interplanetary, and/or have space stations other than for a couple of minutes worth of science and refuelling. Maybe habitat modules, greenhouses, laboratories, snacks and whatnot. Coupled with that planetary base mod, building planetary base stations would be so much more rewarding and interesting to do. Perhaps space telescopes could be added too, that'd be pretty wizard.

Something else I'd like to see is a new planet. An ice giant, more specifically, an analogy of Uranus or Neptune, with a couple of moons. Perhaps one could be an analogy of Triton, the Neptunian moon in retrograde orbit, and the second moon could be Eeloo, or another.

lol no

1.3 will only have localization and a few bugfixes

gg based squad

2 hours ago, SpaceYorkie said:

1.3 being recently announced, we have a good idea what's there, and none of the above will make it.  Maybe next time.

I hope they do neutral tanks in 1.3 that allow us to switch fuel on all parts. That would be one of the best things they could add. Plus stuff like the ability to empty fill fuel with a bar in VAB/SPH to test on large vehicles and see the affects of fuel drainage completely. My ships always have the same problem. And the bigger and more complex they get the harder it is to switch tanks. Even when designed to make this easier relatively.

Completely unreasonable request here, but I'd love it if a way could be found for future updates to be a little less destructive to mods. There's probably five hundred reasons that can't be done, at least, but there you go. The other way of looking at it is to hope that Squad picks up a lot of the "this should be stock already" stuff that is present in mods.

For all the people saying localisation... what most people identify with 1.3 will be the patch AFTER the localisation patch. Saying it's localisation is kind of saying something for the sake of being negative, which I can understand given the that the stream of info from Squad has dried up a LOT unless it starts with the L-word.

I'm personally betting on a fully modable story mode with built in tutorial features and likely combined with a more logical career progression. Perhaps even with a tool that will make it possible to create challenges ingame, but that's pushing it.

3 hours ago, Merandix said:

what most people identify with 1.3 will be the patch AFTER the localisation patch.

Although it has been said the localisation pack is 1.3 so maybe start a `what will be in 1.4?` thread?

EDIT :

3 hours ago, Merandix said:

I'm personally betting on a fully modable story mode with built in tutorial features and likely combined with a more logical career progression. Perhaps even with a tool that will make it possible to create challenges ingame, but that's pushing it.

It`s the thread that keeps on giving.

Edited by John FX

16 minutes ago, John FX said:

Although it has been said the localisation pack is 1.3 so maybe start a `what will be in 1.4?` thread?

If we're talking about 1.4.  I think it will be bug fixes and final optimization as the team moves on to the next Kerbal themed game.

KSP feels pretty final.  Even if it's not exactly what I had wanted.  Thankfully, it's a great platform for mods.  Which, allow me to play a game that's close to what I had hoped for.

7 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

If we're talking about 1.4.  I think it will be bug fixes and final optimization as the team moves on to the next Kerbal themed game.

KSP feels pretty final.  Even if it's not exactly what I had wanted.  Thankfully, it's a great platform for mods.  Which, allow me to play a game that's close to what I had hoped for.

This is how I feel. Of course it would be great if we are wrong.

This is why I have pushed in the forum for people to see that the best thing we can hope for now is a better way for mods to interact with the game, by opening up things which are still hardcoded or invisible to mods.

A game that is more easily modded is a game with more life, and @SQUAD, that means more sales later on as people see there is life in the old dog yet. Through mods.

Most games which can be modded go through the stages of, active in house development, opening up the game to modding, development slows down, and then mod makers keep interest in the game alive and provide a long tail for sales.

So, to keep with the spirit of the thread, although my hope is for 1.4, I would like the API to be more open for modders and bugfixing. I dare not hope for more.

21 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Yikes, lots to catch up on in this thread... will do so later today, up to my armpits in work for Squad at the moment tho...

Well, since Roverdude is working hard on the update, then I believe it's going to be something really, really awesome.

On 06/03/2017 at 8:28 PM, klgraham1013 said:

I really hope this happens. And I actually wouldn't mind if they dropped the game at this stage and delivered us something really cool with stability, a proper story and MP.

Make that aviation prequel happen, @SQUAD!

50 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

How do you see this being different from the current game?  No snark.  Just wondering.

I just think it would be a nice opportunity to have story mode (different from current career) that I've seen suggested so many times and keep both games connected in a way. The editor would probably be pretty much the same but AFAIK most of the game's code is messy. There are these RAM leaks and such and making a new game would also be an opportunity to have skilled programmers (that's what the profession is called, right?) start the game from the scratch which would result in avoiding silly mistakes KSP's devs made (because they were amateurs at the time).

Gameplaywise the multiplayer would be much simpler to implement, because there wouldn't be any timewarp to deal with, and atmosphere physics could be even better than it is in KSP. Add to that some sort of event/mission editor and optional warfare. It would not only be fun to play but also an additional injection of cash for SQUAD, if done right.

EDIT: So in the nutshell, this would be KSP -spaceflight -timewarp +multiplayer +air combat/races +bigger Kerbin +one pilot/one small crew career +procedural parts +optimized performance +better atmosphere +multiple spawn points

I guess the game can be kind of modded like this already but the biggest thing would be MP, since DMP is buggy and not fun. If there ever is KSP 2 then it should go into aircraft sim sandbox theme as it seems the best option. Just look around the Spacecraft Exchange and Challenges section to see how many FAR/BDA/general aircraft showcase threads there are.

DONE EDITING I PROMISE

Edited by Veeltch

On 3/9/2017 at 4:44 AM, Veeltch said:

Gameplaywise the multiplayer would be much simpler to implement, because there wouldn't be any timewarp to deal with, and atmosphere physics could be even better than it is in KSP. Add to that some sort of event/mission editor and optional warfare. It would not only be fun to play but also an additional injection of cash for SQUAD, if done right.

EDIT: So in the nutshell, this would be KSP -spaceflight -timewarp +multiplayer +air combat/races +bigger Kerbin +one pilot/one small crew career +procedural parts +optimized performance +better atmosphere +multiple spawn points

I agree that a BYOP (Build Your Own Aircraft Plane) air/near-space combat simulator could be quite a bit of fun! Although I suppose care would need to be taken to avoid having a weapon or loadout that dominates. Build your own weapons too? Oops, I'm off-topic here....

I think 1.3 has been pretty much decided. I guess it's time for a "What do you want in 1.4 or 2.0" discussion thread....

Edited by StrandedonEarth
Acronym correction, doh!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.