From Kerbin To The Mun [Series in Development]

Kalidor

Greetings,

I've been firing Kerbals into space for 728 hours and finally got the time to work on this little side project of mine.

Once 1.2 has dropped and my mod list is back up-to-date I will be writing a fan series chronicling the early years of the Kerbal Space Programme. This isn't the first series of its type but I'm hoping the back story and history I have in mind for it will make it an entertaining read for you.

In brief, the series will start in the aftermath of a brief but catastrophic nuclear war between the 4th Kerbin Empire and the fledging Independent Kerbal States (IKS) (Separatists wanting to escape the heavy taxation imposed by the Emperor). Again this is nothing new but I couldn't think of a better reason for the Kerbals to develop rockets other than for military purposes. Utilising aging piston engine aircraft the IKS Pilots wage a guerrilla war against the Empire to damage their infrastructure - facing early jet aircraft flown by the Imperial pilots. With mounting losses the Emperor turns to Dr. Werner Von-Kerman to develop a terror weapon that can bring the rogue states into line. The attacks serve to strengthen the IKS resolve and - enlisting support from sympathetic factions within the Empire - they launch a full scale assault on Kerbin City to remove the Empire from power. Faced with a shameful defeat the Emperor invokes a "Scorched Kerbin" protocol and commits suicide. Though the IKS win the battle and the Empire falls the political and environmental fallout are catastrophic - rendering large swathes of Kerbin uninhabitable.

As the Kerbin Reconstruction Authority (KRA - Interim Government) desperately searches for a way to ensure the survival of Kerbal Kind by designating areas of Kerbin Blue, Yellow or Red Zones depending on their levels of radiation. There are very few Blue Zones (Rad Free) and most of the population live in Yellow Zones. As the KRA faces the daunting prospect of having to make some tough decisions an amazing discovery is made in Kerbin's irradiated waters...one that may hold the key to repairing the damage to Kerbin's ecosystem. With the clock to extinction ticking the KRA appoint Major Gene Kerman to oversee what will ultimately become the KSP. Bringing together old enemies, new allies...and a thrill seeking scrap merchant eager to leave his mark on history...from Kerbin to the Mun will document the early years of the KSP before the programme was officially founded.

Main Characters

Lt. Jedidiah Kerman (Former IKS Pilot) - Scrap Merchant, Air Race Pilot, Amateur Rocketry Enthusiast.
Capt. Valentina Kerman (Former Imperial Pilot) - Aerospace Technology Reporter for Kerbin City Times Newspaper.
Bill Kerman (Civilian Engineer) - Project Leader for KRA.
Bob Kerman (Civilian Scientist) - Field Researcher for Kerbin City University.
Major. Gene Kerman (Imperial Paramilitary Ops Officer, IKS Sympathiser) - Director, KRA Logistics Division 
Doctor. Werner Von-Kerman (Former Imperial Scientist) - War Criminal awaiting trial for crimes against Kerbal Kind.

Series Goals

1) Provide an exciting backstory and History to Kerbal Space Programme.

2) Provide detailed Spacecraft Plans and Craft Files for Readers to replicate the missions documented.

3) Provide detailed Mission Reports (In Lieu of Creating a Mission Pack at a later date - Currently Beyond My Skill Level)

4) Develop New and Existing Characters to carry the series forward.

Community Inclusion

It will likely take some time to update my mod library but when its complete I will list the mods used to create the series. This will be a Stock-a-Like series so as much as I love packs such as Bluedog Design Bureau the craft used in the series will be original designs...perhaps inspired by real-world spacecraft but by no means carbon copies.

Throwing the forum open, is there anything you would like to see in this series...all ideas are considered as long as they stay true to the plot. Also accepting help and assistance from artists and craft designers as my personal approach is more "Form follows Function" and it would be nice to have a bit of eye candy for people to look at. Mission Patches are cool too!

Look forward to speaking with you.

Kal :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Almost up to date with Mod List and had some ideas about the fanfic...decided to tell the story from a different perspective.

Hopefully be posting the foreword and prologue in the coming week or so...if feedback is positive I will carry on writing.

Without giving too much away, the thread will be entitled "From Kerbin to the Mun" - The Official Biography of Maj. Valentina Kerman.

Kal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.