The Grand KSP 1.2 Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

So, wheels are supposedly fixed?  So why, oh why, when in the VAB, do you see the trucks driving around and skidding sideways, rather than turning?  I'm scared to put wheels on anything for fear of the old problem of them skidding across the terrain indefinitely with no way to stop as soon as they load.  Are the wheels actually fixed?  And if so, then why don't the VAB vehicles act properly?

2 hours ago, ninebands said:

So, wheels are supposedly fixed?  So why, oh why, when in the VAB, do you see the trucks driving around and skidding sideways, rather than turning?  I'm scared to put wheels on anything for fear of the old problem of them skidding across the terrain indefinitely with no way to stop as soon as they load.  Are the wheels actually fixed?  And if so, then why don't the VAB vehicles act properly?

Because the VAB vehicles naively follow preset animation curves without paying any attention things like physics. You can see them occasionally drive right through the VAB crew too. They have skidded like that ever since they were first introduced in zero dot twenty something and no wheel issues whatsoever.

5 hours ago, monophonic said:

Because the VAB vehicles naively follow preset animation curves without paying any attention things like physics. You can see them occasionally drive right through the VAB crew too. They have skidded like that ever since they were first introduced in zero dot twenty something and no wheel issues whatsoever.

Thank you.  I'll quit being scared then, lol

23 hours ago, monophonic said:

You can also turn them off in the settings. For which your GPU will thank you :wink:

Edited by Curveball Anders
speling

Is anyone else having issues with your orbits being messed up when switching vessels via the map? As an example, I had a vessel today that was in a 200km orbit. I switched to another vessel to check something, then came back and the Pe was at 160km. It's wreaking havoc on space stations, and making it basically unplayable. Am I the only one? I haven't noticed this before.

Hi @aaronburro, welcome to the forums.

I can't say I've noticed that myself, my orbits seem pretty stable, but I'll try to keep an eye out for it.

I assume you are running 1.2.

Are you using any mods at all?  If so there is a chance that could be a cause, so try with a pure stock install and double check,  if it still does it get as much info as you can and do a bug report.

Hope this helps.

Hi Everyone,

1.1.3 was running rock-solid with all mods in x64 (on win10, core i5, 16GB with 1TB SSD). Hands down the best build ever.
KSP 1.2 keeps crashing with a clean stock install, and also with KSPI. It's a desaster.

Most crashing appears right after start on the runway or while in ascend still within in atmosphere, on all missions and configurations in newly build 1.2 ships. I had to abandon the 1.1.3 fleet.

I did submit log files, if anyone at Sqad had noticed. Can hardly wait for the next update.

I think we should not be forced by steam to update, but rather keep an earlier stable version, until the next version becomes playable.

Greetings.

48 minutes ago, Starliter said:

I think we should not be forced by steam to update, but rather keep an earlier stable version, until the next version becomes playable.

Luckily, you can do just that. Right click on KSP, click on Properties, go to the Betas tab, and in the small drop down menu select 'previous stable version' or whatever it says, something close to that. 

Also, KSP has no DRM, so when you have a version that you like and works for you, you can copy that whole KSP folder out of your Steam folder and keep it forever. 

49 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

Luckily, you can do just that. Right click on KSP, click on Properties, go to the Betas tab, and in the small drop down menu select 'previous stable version' or whatever it says, something close to that.

Thank you for that tip!

I didn't find these options within Steam............................................... :-D

11 hours ago, Azimech said:

Can you please explain what kind of difficulty you're experiencing? Most people don't have any problems.

Typical bumpy, plane tilting behaviour. From what I've heard, most people still do have problems with it, but not prominent as before.

2 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Typical bumpy, plane tilting behaviour. From what I've heard, most people still do have problems with it, but not prominent as before.

And different spring/shock settings have no effect? I have encountered a few people using too small wheels for too heavy aircraft. Doubling the amount of wheels helps in those cases.

5 hours ago, Azimech said:

And different spring/shock settings have no effect? I have encountered a few people using too small wheels for too heavy aircraft. Doubling the amount of wheels helps in those cases.

If I increase them, they only get more... nervous. I'm talking about 1.25 m stuff, nothing heavy.

Awesome stuff, but the Kerbnet thing made me thinking...

Since you already made the Asteroid Day parts stock (well, most of them anyways), why is it not a requirement to have that telescope on the vessel for the satellite map view? It would make perfect sense...

Well the last small update has broken the game for me.  I had zero crashes with the 1.2 release but the small, 11mb or so update that dropped yesterday gives constant crashes and the wheels seem to be even less stable.  No mods.  Is there any way to revert to plain old 1.2?   I know about the 'previous stable releases' thing, but 1.1.3 is the only recent one.  And there doesn't seem to be a way in Steam now to completely disable updates. 

If I can just get rid of the 10mbs or so of poison they just put on my system, I will never update the game again.  :wink:   Yeah kudos for 1.2, but I only was able to play the game for a couple weeks or so.  Love the devs, game and community, but this is very unfortunate. 

On 01/11/2016 at 6:18 AM, Azimech said:

When I sent my first little rover to Mimnus, I reduced the settings thinking that a low G would require it.

That rover is still there on Mimnus, mocking me.

It rocks back and forth from front to back and back again like a little springy rocking horse.

I tried everything I could try, including playing with electric charge, alas I clicked one option too many now it is uncontrollable and sits rocking to this day. A monument to my own frustration.

I've noticed a strange "event" that has just started happening since 1.2.1. As many know, I do use a lot of rovers and ground vehicles in my fan fic. I was excited with the wheel changes in 1.2, but this morning, as I was driving a rover made with the Buffalo mod from @Angel-125 to stage some shots, I crossed a seam in the terrain (the forest to the NW of KSC). The seam was visible (not a big concern at this point) but as the rover tried to cross over the ground terrain seam - BOOM! The rover flipped over and came down hard on its top.

I repeated the experience using stock wheels - and had the exact same result. I even reverted and purposely looked for seams to test it on. Sure enough, once you are away from the peninsula, the seems become an explosive obstacle.

Just thought I would throw this out there.

5 hours ago, netbumbler said:

Well the last small update has broken the game for me.  I had zero crashes with the 1.2 release but the small, 11mb or so update that dropped yesterday gives constant crashes and the wheels seem to be even less stable.  No mods.  Is there any way to revert to plain old 1.2?   I know about the 'previous stable releases' thing, but 1.1.3 is the only recent one.  And there doesn't seem to be a way in Steam now to completely disable updates. 

If I can just get rid of the 10mbs or so of poison they just put on my system, I will never update the game again.  :wink:   Yeah kudos for 1.2, but I only was able to play the game for a couple weeks or so.  Love the devs, game and community, but this is very unfortunate. 

All you have to do is to copy the entire KSP folder in the Steam directory then paste it somewhere else, such as the My Documents folder or the like. I copied 1.0.5 and 1.1.3 to the desktop, plopped on an icon on the desktop, and voila - I can play either version or the Steam updated one.

If you need an additional talk-through or help, let me know.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.