The Grand KSP 1.2 Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

On 11/19/2016 at 2:00 PM, Victor3 said:

Can anyone confirm/deny if the "docking bug" (where a ship will not undock when requested) has been fixed in 1.2.1? I read the change log, at the top of this thread, and searched this forum but never found a definitive answer. Docking ports are mentioned several times in the change log...but it doesn't appear to say, in so many words, that it's been fixed?

Thank you!

As far as I can tell, they have fixed at least some of the reasons why that would happen.  They may or may not have fixed them all, but at the very least that bug should be less common than it was.

I got a small bug today for the first time while making one of my two touristic flight to Minmus and the Mun.

Here is the full craft :

S8zr4MX.png

It is entirely stock.

I use to transfert to Minmus first but this time it was the Mun. The second stage (two tanks plus a Rhino) had enough fuel to ensure a circularization, de-orbit after some time then I use the remaining fuel for braking until the lander got a speed of about 10 m/s. The second stage is separated, accelerated by the Sepatron and went to crash close to the landing site.

Usually everything is destroy during the impact (around 40 m/s). But sometimes the fairing part survived. Here (surprisingly to me) both S3-14400 and S3-7200 tank were in one piece but I didn't care about them so much. The ascent was normal :

Vs2BWGN.png

As it can be seen the craft doesn't seem to got anything strange like one of these huge tanks. But when I looked at it on the map the debris parts appears with it :

gW92YwR.png

If the warp is snapped the parts are separated from the lander :

twxTKwc.png

They even follow the craft until the re-entry, but no explosions appear during it (we can see that they keep their same Mun coordinates) :

HkFBhQw.png

I didn't take a screenshot of them, but after the flight I used the Traking Station to discover the part was a combination of these fuel tanks. They were like withholding over the surface (around 300 m) and not mooving. I just eliminate them from the Station and nothing else appears but it still a bit strange...

Downloaded it and then reverted back to KSP 1.1 as soon as I realised that none of my damn mods work! Loooolz. At the moment got the furthest I've ever got on a single game save so pushing along with KSP 1.1 until all the mods I use are upgraded for compliance with KSP 1.2 (@Sarbian Hurry up on MechJeb dude - we need you!). Nice work Guys, as usual! :D

Just now, T3Kaos said:

Downloaded it and then reverted back to KSP 1.1 as soon as I realised that none of my damn mods work! Loooolz. At the moment got the furthest I've ever got on a single game save so pushing along with KSP 1.1 until all the mods I use are upgraded for compliance with KSP 1.2 (@Sarbian Hurry up on MechJeb dude - we need you!). Nice work Guys, as usual! :D

The dev build of MechJeb is working fine on 1.2.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just had a first look at 1.2.2 after upgrading from 1.2.0. Seems as if the annoying flicker on my desktop is gone, which is great. Now I don't have to play this epileptic slideshow anymore. No idea about the long term stability, but well, getting to orbit works, so this puts 1.2 on a whole new level, I assume.

• 3 weeks later...

Today i discovered a strange bug while examining the data provided by the Aero GUI during a speed run of a aircraft. I noticed while static pressure and air density decrease, so does the speed of sound. Up until about 16k meters where it starts rising again. This is strange because it allows aircraft to perform unrealistically well at high altitudes because air breathing engines are limited by Mach number not M/S. So higher Mach number and decreased drag at higher altitude equals better performance where there shouldn't be.

xN3rhBI.png

The sound barrier is screwed up.

NOTE: Air density follows the same linear path as Static Pressure.

Here's a graph i pulled from the internet of supposedly the speed of sound through altitudes in real ife. Though i don't know how reliable the source is.

rYCb5FO.jpg

Seems like what it should be though.

Edited by Gman_builder

Assuming that the atmosphere of Kerbin is an ideal gas (having no other indications, I am assuming this), then your speed of sound depends on both, the pressure and the density of the atmosphere (1). Hence, you had to observe both, the pressure and the density to calculate the speed of sound. This is annoying as you don't want to observe two variables just to come up with the speed of sound. Now, with the ideal gas law, you can get rid of both variables and replace them with the temperature of the planet. Then according to wikipedia you end up with

c = sqrt( \gamma k T / m ),

where \gamma is the adiabatic index, k is the Bolzmann constant, T is the temperature and m is the mass of a molecule of the air. According to the KSP wikipedia the Temperature of Kerbin decreases from the ground to an altitude of about 10km, then starts rising again up until 40km, decreases to a height of approximately 70km before it starts rising again a little bit. As the temperature of Kerban atmosphere does not follow a monotonous function, it becomes clear that the speed of sound shouldn't follow a monotonous function as well.

If you compare the Kerban atmosphere (2) with the Terran atmosphere (3), you will realize, that both have surprisingly similar behaviours. It is no bug that the speed of sound goes up again - that's actually true for Earth as well.

Unfortunately the data of (2) seems to be using splines in order to interpolate the data. Would have provided better insight, if the actual data was indicated there as well. Considering your input @Gman_builder, the Kerban atmosphere seems to have a fairly constant temperature between 10 and 20 km, in contrast to the data given in (2).

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound

(2) http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/File:Kerbin_Atmosphere_T%26P.png

(3) https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Comparison_US_standard_atmosphere_1962.svg

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2017 at 5:42 PM, MagicFireCaster said:

So guys i left the game a while ago after my Ike mission (Duna's ground has yet to be touched) and i have to wait a lot of time for the mission to come back, should i skip that time or do other missions in the meantime.

That is really up to you.

There are advantages to both serial and parallel missions.

I would suggest that parallel missions are much easier to manage with the Kerbal Alarm Clock(KAC) mod to remind you about upcoming burns or maintenance windows.

If you are not doing anything else, then serial missions will seem much faster as you just time-warp through the wait.

If you dislike leaving the rest of your space program on-pause while you zip out to another planet, then you can run daily tourist missions, maintain your mun base, and prepare your Eeloo Explorer mission while your kerbonauts are on the way to Duna, but it will take a lot of play-time before your vessel arrives at it's destination.

It is just a matter of play-style.

(in the past I have kept the number of concurrent missions small(1-2 kerbaled missions at a time, and perhaps a few probes to make sure I would be able to find the ore to get back home), but in my current game, I have multiple kerbaled outposts on each of the Mun and Minmus, along with an orbital science station around Kerbin, unmanned MKS resource harvesters heading to Ike and Duna, a Duna mission that has made it's first landing and is currently refueling, and a Moho mission that will land as soon as the sun rises over the KSC.  I also just launched a combination fuel-drone/Scansat to Jool(they will discard the decouplers around the first moon then reconnect via klaw after scanning and refueling for the fuel drone to refuel the scanner and push it to the next moon))

• 1 month later...

I've been playing 1.2.2 for some time now and I'd just like to say it's great! Before this, I had actually been playing 0.90 while all the rest of you were playing 1.0 and later and there is a lot to get excited about!:sticktongue:

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.