The Grand KSP 1.2 Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

3 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

I see - we're not talking about the actual KSP, but how it varies from something you've created of whole cloth.

Is there someone else there I could talk to, you seem to be having a bad day?

I'm saying that one of the main features of this release was the introduction of all the communication network stuff but so far I haven't found much use for it in terms of it supporting a more unmanned approach to the game than what was there before. Even with a 100% strength signal from a science-collecting probe, you won't be much better off than before 1.2. I rashly assumed that after setting up a system-spanning network of relays I'd get some use out of it. 

Life support requirements for crew may be needed to balance this out (so you'd be trading off between probes needing CommNet connections and Kerbals needing supplies)

At the moment there's minimal trade-off, dV is plentiful and Kerbals are perfectly happy to sit in a 1 man pod for a 200 year round trip to Eeloo without aging, or needing to be kept warm, be feed, stretch or, uhh,... output.

Maybe you should also need to investigate a planet with probes before you can EVA there (get the temperature and pressure at least)

It's a complex problem because whatever they do needs to feel like an internally consistent part of the game, without being a weird artificial roadblock or overly punishing.

3 minutes ago, NoMrBond said:

Life support requirements for crew may be needed to balance this out (so you'd be trading off between probes needing CommNet connections and Kerbals needing supplies)

At the moment there's minimal trade-off, dV is plentiful and Kerbals are perfectly happy to sit in a 1 man pod for a 200 year round trip to Eeloo without aging, or needing to be kept warm, be feed, stretch or, uhh,... output.

Maybe you should also need to investigate a planet with probes before you can EVA there (get the temperature and pressure at least)

It's a complex problem because whatever they do needs to feel like an internally consistent part of the game, without being a weird artificial roadblock or overly punishing.

That sounds about right. It is an enabler technology for sure. 

However, I think there are perhaps other mods that could have been copied that would have provided more useful and entertaining features right away. Like more planets, a dV readout, more parts, life support, a network that made unmanned as useful as manned...

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:

NO offset limits is STOCK now! Cheers Squad, very smart move.

Hmm, no it's not.. It seems you can offset decouplers infinitely but nothing else.

Forget that.. I am seeing some odd behavior. Some parts I placed in the previous version are allowing infinite offset. Odd. Ho hum.

Does anyone know if you select strong nodes and or auto struts if they are also enabled if someone opens the craft file?

Yes, they will be. Those are saved per part in the .craft file 

1 hour ago, worir4 said:

I havn't had much chance to play yet. Could some one explain what the point in the science container is if you can just store experiments in command pods any way?

Unmanned missions. Say you have a lunar lander probe, and want to return science for the full gain. Stick the experiments on the sample container and return that, rather than the whole thing.

So it is in Settings > Difficulty Options > Advanced > Occlusion Modifier...

I had to set mine at 1.04 to stop the signal from going thru Minmus' High ground.
More testing required, but so far it seems good.  Setting it to 1.10 was needed.
No need to restart the game, simply press "Accept" then "Apply" and you can see the results right away if focused on something that should not get a signal.

Thanks again everyone.

Edited by Francois424

1 hour ago, jrolson said:

Yes, how do you use the science container?

Either right click the new part and select collect science or on the science part select transfer science.. Then you can choose where it goes. IT can even go into a command pod if you want it to.

1 hour ago, worir4 said:

I havn't had much chance to play yet. Could some one explain what the point in the science container is if you can just store experiments in command pods any way?

Storing more experiments, like sticking one on top of the mk1 pod, gather science, transfer and drop and sciency parts (like the Jr).

3 hours ago, emaier138 said:

I'm having the same problem, especially in the VAB when rotating or panning around a craft (even a small one)(edit: it seems to only occur when looking down from above in the VAB, if i pan below the craft the lag disappears). Despite never having any framerate problems previously even with high part count crafts.

Running a mac pro retina with 2.7 Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, OS X v10.8.5

Is am having the same problem with my MacBook Pro retina (2014) with Nvidia graphics.  I know it is not a powerhouse, but it ran the previous version just fine, now it is much more choppy, especially in the VAB.

2 hours ago, worir4 said:

It's two main utilities are unmanned probes (where you were not before able to transfer science - only transmit it) and manned atmospheric missions. You can fly around Laythe and just keep taking readings and storing them in the container. Before, you'd have to land to EVA a Kerbal.

My personal favorite part of it though is that it eliminates the frustration of jockeying a Kerbal around to right click on half a dozen experiments.

Also, shameless plug for my mod All Y'All where I've added a "Restore all Science" button to the box, so you don't need to interact with the experiments at all. Just right click, "perform all science," "collect all science," and "restore all science." Then everything's ready for the next biome or situation.

This is a Mun surface lander mission capable of several biome hops if planned right, uncrewed. About all you can't do with it that a crewed one can is crew reports and sample returns. However, if you check out the cost (only 11.5K funds for the base model), you can launch several for even a simple crewed return mission.  Now, my costs are offset a tad by the fact that you need a Munar relay or somesuch to offset the tiny antenna on such  alight probe, but even considering that too they're still a great deal.

4gpUAZL.png

1gOH8EL.png

Edited by moogoob

Note that with the science container you can do multiple biomes unmanned missions, very nice for the gravity and seismic data where you probably have surface samples, goo and material lab data.
You can use two containers to get all data, you will have to transfer the second experiment, get all data grabs from containers first. 
More advanced, have an return module in Mun orbit, the lander docks with it to gain heat shield and parachutes. You could also move the science from the probe lander to the return module leaving it in mun orbit for later use. 

Late endgame, if you use lots of kerbals on bases and stations they get very expensive 

55 minutes ago, rabidchild said:

Is am having the same problem with my MacBook Pro retina (2014) with Nvidia graphics.  I know it is not a powerhouse, but it ran the previous version just fine, now it is much more choppy, especially in the VAB.

The space centre crew makes my Mac Mini sound like it wants to take off. Try disabling the crew and see if that helps with the VAB. They're a bit of a distraction anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.