The Grand KSP 1.2 Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

17 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Always start saves with stock craft disabled. 

Yeah, this. 

I always open a new sandbox for general mucking about and trying stuff out and keep the stock vessels in it, occasionally I'll use one as a test bed,  especially when looking at the new fame features etc.  But for my more serious saves I always have them turned off. 

I'm loving 1.2 so far! I've noticed that fairings are much laggier now though. That kinda sucks.. My MSL and Atlas V has 7-8 fairings and it causes 2 second pauses every time I right click or move a part or delete something. Also, they cause much more lag in flight too..

Anyone who worked on fairings for 1.2 care to comment on this? This did not happen in the previous version. @Arsonide do you know who worked on fairings?

15 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

I'm loving 1.2 so far! I've noticed that fairings are much laggier now though. That kinda sucks.. My MSL and Atlas V has 7-8 fairings and it causes 2 second pauses every time I right click or move a part or delete something. Also, they cause much more lag in flight too..

Anyone who worked on fairings for 1.2 care to comment on this? This did not happen in the previous version. @Arsonide do you know who worked on fairings?

i have this problem on almost every flight, since 1.2 release, have no idea what is causing this but i daubt it's a simple question of fairings

Edited by crackerbal

49 minutes ago, crackerbal said:

i have this problem on almost every flight, since 1.2 release, have no idea what is causing this but i daubt it's a simple question of fairings

You may have a different issue. The fairings in 1.2 are far laggier than before and cause 2 second pauses in the editor wen you have a few of them on a craft. 

9 hours ago, passinglurker said:

Ok its Tuesday where's the devnotes? are they still a thing? if they aren't can we at least get a word of god on that?

8 hours ago, doudou said:

Yes it's true, after the disturbing ads that have been made, I must say that a clear explanation of future projects would be welcome! Both in KSP as Squad.

Devnote or not Devnote ? ^_^

Maybe they're on vacation.  Seems to happen after every update.

Just now, klgraham1013 said:

Maybe they're on vacation.  Seems to happen after every update.

yes but they at least tweet that they are on vacation. with the uncertainty around ksp's future direction it's detrimental to show ineptitude in communicating with the community like this.

On a near consistent basis I CANT GET ABOVE 2600m!

When I reach 2600m the game farts out and my ship explodes.  This is the same rocket I've gotten to minimus and the mun. 

I've tried lowering weight, I've tried rearranging the rocket, more bracing, less bracing?!?  I've closed programs, stayed only in the game window.  It just seems to always get to some point then the physics stroke out and the whole ship goes to pieces!

I'm afraid to even touch my other ongoing missions because of this.  I'm using the 64 bit... is that just ruined?  Can we go back to 1.0 now?

4 hours ago, Znath said:

When I reach 2600m the game farts out and my ship explodes.  This is the same rocket I've gotten to minimus and the mun. 

I've tried lowering weight, I've tried rearranging the rocket, more bracing, less bracing?!?  I've closed programs, stayed only in the game window.  It just seems to always get to some point then the physics stroke out and the whole ship goes to pieces!

I'm afraid to even touch my other ongoing missions because of this.  I'm using the 64 bit... is that just ruined?  Can we go back to 1.0 now?

So it happens to your rocket and not a different rocket, or airplane, or banana?

3 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

My problem is my banana makes it to space, but burns up on re-entry.  Can anyone help?

I would recommend adding a bit of cinnamon.  If it is getting too done, a bit of butter, or perhaps a lower AP would be helpful(a PE between 30km and 40km seems to work well for many banana roasters, adjusting the AP for your desired level of roasting.  I like 80km as that gives some nice caramelization with a core that is still soft)

Edited by Terwin

50 minutes ago, KerbalSaver said:

is this an extended metaphor or is there some sort of banana mod out there?

Why would you think it's a metaphor?  Let me guess.  You're one of those cucumber launchers.  Really, everyone knows bananas fly better.  It's science. 

Has the open fairing exploit been fixed in 1.2? I was trying to make a new bearing for my Rubik's Cube because the original one was very explodey, but I couldn't get the "Close fairing on part -> Remove part -> Ctrl+Z" trick to work; Ctrl+Z brought back the part instead of the fairing. Could someone with experience with that type of bearing verify? :) 

--Edit-- I managed to get an open fairing using the interstage nodes, but even in a normal "closed" fairing it appears that whatever is inside an undeployed fairing, even if it has been decoupled, is physically attached to the fairing regardless of how much space it actually has inside. If this is always true, it means much better stability for unwieldy payloads during ascent, and much less turning in fairing-based propellers and twisty puzzles. Time to find a new method. :( 

Edited by cubinator

On 10/21/2016 at 4:29 AM, Znath said:

Do you get overheat bars before the explosion? 1.2 decreased the drag of pointy things, which means they go faster, which in turn means they heat more and faster. It is fully possible to overheat a high thrust rocket on ascent.

1.2 adds some kind of challenge when doing science on other planets. And I like it, because it encourages people to try out probes (and it adds challenge to probes too, because once you get no signal the control is limited) and the Relay Satellites. KerbNet is also useful for effective location marking, though for full map we need two satellites...anyways, good work. Keep it up

Oh my god... OH MY GOD. I just got it. I got the most obscure joke in all of KSP, and I cannot stop giggling! :D

I don't know if this is new in 1.2... probably not. But this seems the best place to put it anyway :P

We've all seen plenty of "your favorite loading screen hints" discussions. People all have their favorites. It usually boils down to a handful of popular ones, but ultimately almost all of them have been mentioned as tickling somebody's funny bone.

Almost all, except for that special one. "Planting Flag on Pol..." It seems like nobody found this funny at all. I know this because I did a full forum search and nothing came up. But no more shall it be ignored! That is now officially my favorite loading screen hint of all time.

I've often seen it, and it had always perplexed me. It just seemed too oddly specific. Why Pol, of all places? That is one of the most inconsequential places in the entire game, perhaps second only to Dres. If it was trying to refer to a popular player activity perhaps, then you'd pick Mun or Minmus, or maybe Duna at best. If it was trying to outline a great achievement, you'd pick Moho or Tylo or Eve. if it was supposed to be a straight joke, you'd pick Jool, or the Sun.

But no. I realize now that it is perfectly specific. It has to be Pol, it could not be anything else.

In past versions of KSP, there was an obscure bug where people would randomly start seeing contracts for Joolian moons and Eeloo after just starting a new career game, when they had barely even made it to orbit. It turned out that these people had farmed KSC biomes for science, and taking an experiment reading at the "Flag Pole" biome made the game think that you had just taken a reading from a biome on Pol. Because the word "pole" has "Pol" in it. Thus the progress tracker thought you were doing outer solar system exploration and gave you relevant contracts.

So what that loading screen hint "Planting Flag on Pol..." really says, is: it's trying to put the flag up onto the flag pole at KSC in preparation for the player to come in and start playing, but because it's bugged, it's putting it onto Pol instead...

Absolutely fantastic :D Whoever at Squad came up with that, I applaud you and your sense of humor!

Edited by Streetwind

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.