1.2 Not Loading on Sierra

Hi

Just downloaded 1.2 and installed fresh from the zip on OS X macOS Sierra. Previous versions have loaded within a few seconds but this one won't load at all, it's stuck at the nice pictures with 'Loading Asset Bundle Definitions' written at the bottom and the Kerbally messages scrolling forlornly over and over.

I've heard that Unity might have some issues with Sierra, is it just me or is this a known problem?

Cheers!

Edit: Found the answer, moving the KSP app out of the folder and back in again works. Sorry!

Edited by spacekumquat
I am stupid.

i had this issue and heres how you fix it: right click on the application and select "show package contents". then navigate through contents, then MacOS, and click the executable shown. KSP works perfectly fine after that so its an issue with the application connecting to the executable.

heres a forum thread i made during the prerelease about this issue: 

8 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Hi @spacekumquat, can you provide more info on what you did here.

Hi @sal_vager

Installing from a zip has worked for me since 0.2x so it's the usual way I go. Copied the KSP_osx folder into the applications folder, opened the launcher (bypassing Gatekeeper by control-clicking and selecting Open) which worked fine. Then tried to launch the main KSP app (again with Ctrl-click) but it got stuck at the 'Asset Bundle Definitions' as described above.

To solve, I Command-dragged the KSP app to move it to the desktop, then Command-dragged it back. Worked immediately, I read it elsewhere on the forum since I was too dense to search the right board before speaking up!

I should imagine, as others have suggested elsewhere, that it might be a write-permission or path issue. Possible that messing around with Disk Utility might also fix it but the drag to-and-fro is a quick workaround.

Halp!

I had the issue OP described, and fixed it by moving the app out and back into the folder. I had an issue the next time I tried to run the app, where the loading bar got halfway before getting stuck at "Loading Asset Bundle Definitions." I was able to get the app running again by deleting /Users/admin/Library/Saved Application State/unity.Squad.Kerbal Space Program.savedState, but today, I'm having the same half-way loading issue. Also worth noting is that the launcher looks like this, reporting version 0 installed.

I'm on a 2014 Macbook Pro, running macOS 10.12.

I used the launcher on windows 7 64 bit, seemed to stop the bundle definition issue.  Loading the app directly has it pause loading right at that point mid-progress bar.  Just my experience on it.  Not sure about the mac version, that may be another issue entirely.

- Andy

@hapaxLegomina (great username btw) I thought I had a similar problem after the drag-move-fix, occasionally the bar gets stuck exactly as you say - halfway along with 'Asset Bundle Definitions' displayed. Turns out if you leave it for a minute it will continue loading; how long did you let it sit there for? I think my patience with these things has disappeared since I switched to SSDs!

I am lugging my faithful 15" i7 early 2011 MBP with OS 10.12 and a vanilla unmodded KSP 1.2 install, 8GB ram and a retrofitted 850Pro SSD

1 hour ago, Prisma said:

So, If KSP ever crashes, check on console for a kernel about 30 or 40 updates above the com.apple.xpc launchd kernel. That kernel will say "no longer monitoring thermal state due to memory pressure. This means that KSP is causing too much CPU backup that it can't keep track of the heat in order to operate the fans. SO, your computer gets frustrated and terminates KSP. :( End of your game.

This is one of the most useful things I've ever read.  Being totally serious, this explains a lot of crashes.

Hi, I've followed the information on how to open the game and it seems to have worked fine, but the VAB and SPH are very laggy when you're near the ground (being higher up is fine, but it only works in the VAB due to the SPH height issues). I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this. Thanks  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/12/2016 at 12:02 PM, spacekumquat said:

Hi @sal_vager

Installing from a zip has worked for me since 0.2x so it's the usual way I go. Copied the KSP_osx folder into the applications folder, opened the launcher (bypassing Gatekeeper by control-clicking and selecting Open) which worked fine. Then tried to launch the main KSP app (again with Ctrl-click) but it got stuck at the 'Asset Bundle Definitions' as described above.

To solve, I Command-dragged the KSP app to move it to the desktop, then Command-dragged it back. Worked immediately, I read it elsewhere on the forum since I was too dense to search the right board before speaking up!

I should imagine, as others have suggested elsewhere, that it might be a write-permission or path issue. Possible that messing around with Disk Utility might also fix it but the drag to-and-fro is a quick workaround.

For whatever reason this doesn't work for me. Help:(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.