[1.3] Collide-o-Scope [v1.1.6]

DefiantZombie

Download: CurseGitHub | Source

All bugs shall be submitted via the GitHub issues system (see Source link above). No logs, no support.

Show us what you've made! Use #MadeWithCollideOScope on Twitter or post it up here.

"You can't be a KrakenTech engineer without Collide-o-Scope." --DasValdez

C9S4ipO.jpg

Collide-o-Scope has one job: Assist with the creation of Kraken devices.

== Installation ==

1. !!!IMPORTANT!!! If going from KSP 1.2.2 to 1.3, delete the old Collide-o-Scope folder.

2. Copy the Collide-o-Scope folder into your KSP/GameData folder.

== Usage ==
Collide-o-Scope is an advanced tweakable. As such your game will need Advanced Tweakables enabled. There are several places to check this:

1. From the main menu go to Settings->General. Note: This will not change the option for games in progress.
2. From the space center or flight scenes press Escape and choose Settings. It will be under the Gameplay section.

After Advanced Tweakables is enabled a new application button will appear when in the SPH/VAB or when controlling a craft. When this button is lit up (green) the tweakable is visible when right-clicking on parts to bring up the action menu. Simply select the tweakable to change its mode.

NOTE: You may turn on as many colliders as you wish, however this will cause performance problems if too many are active at once.

An alternative to the action menu is to place your mouse cursor over a part and press the assigned hotkey. The default hotkey is 'O' (capital oh) and may be changed in the settings.cfg file.

To turn off all colliders at once move your mouse cursor so that no part is under it and press the hotkey. You may also press the application button to disable the tweakables.

New in v1.1: Markers are now available in the flight scene. Use the Flight Markers tweakable to toggle on/off. Lift and body lift can be separated by toggling Combine Lift.

== Notes ==

- There are bugs in this mod. I am not a graphics programmer. The rendering code was written by someone else. The bugs that exist also exist in the mod where the code first appeared. These bugs are not major and the mod works as intended.

- Any craft and save game written with the application active (green) will have minor amounts of information written to them. This is a KSP thing that cannot be worked around. There is no effect other than warnings in the log when these files are reloaded. Don't panic, I just want everyone to know this happens and that I looked into having it not occur.

Colors are based on collider type as follows:

- Yellow: Box
- Red: Sphere
- Green: Capsule
- Blue: Mesh
- Pink: Wheel

== Special Thanks ==

- Squad for the awesomeness that is Kerbal Space Program.
- DasValdez for always being inspiring and classy.
- Muddr for for always being inspiring and bug testing.
- Popskyy for the creativity fuel. https://popskyy.bandcamp.com/
- Pyreliter for the mod name.

== Changes ==

Patched NRE on revert to editor. (Fixes #27)
    Added color notes to readme. (Fixes #26)
    IMPORTANT! Delete any past version from your game. Install this one fresh in KSP 1.3.
    Updated dependencies for KSP 1.3.
    Removed MiniAVC module. Version file remains. (Fixes #19)
    Changed license to GNUPL v3.

== Postscript ==

Version ksp1.3-1.1.5.0+ is NOT compatible with KSP version 1.2 - 1.2.2. Use a valid release from the github if you are on a 1.2 release of KSP.

This mod is not compatible with versions prior to 1.2. DebugStuff by Sarbian provides this functionality and more for KSP 1.1.

Note: I will not be backporting any patches.

The KSA Nuevo Snackero was built by DasValdez and can be downloaded from KerbalX.

Edited by DefiantZombie
Curse link

29 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Out of curiosity, can you provide a few more screenshots of how this works?

And VERY nice New Sheppard. :D

There's nothing to really show. The text describes how to use it. Ensure the app icon is lit (green) and you'll have a show collider option in the action menu on all parts. If the parts are in symmetry, you can cycle into symmetry mode as well. If you need a picture, here:

TbJb9GD.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
7 hours ago, Azimech said:

I must say ... I don't really grasp the different collider classes yet. I understand pink is a wheelcollider but what is the red one?

I think it's time to find Sarbian's mod.

uXP0PZq.png

The red is a sphere collider. Sarbian's mod will show you the exact same display. My code is based on theirs as it wasn't updated to 1.2pre at the time I built this mod. All it's doing is showing you what Squad has added to the parts. You'd have to ask them why there are random spheres all over the places, but not in all places. From my experience, the sphere colliders are generally not physics colliders. They are for raycasting. Same as all the extra non-colliders on ladders and pods. And no, I will not be filtering them out. They have come in handy to know about on more than one occasion.

Edit: Also, don't trust the pink wheel colliders. They are extremely bugged. It's something I plan to address (hopefully) in the rewrite.

Edited by DefiantZombie

• 1 month later...

This mod is incredible! I was able to make a near perfect 3-part crane hinge for a rover which I would have never been able to do without this... thanks a ton for taking the time to make this :)

Something odd I noticed (not a bug, just an annoying thing with stock) was just how far away from the camera the "clipping plane" is for parts... when colliders are activated you can zoom in on the collider far past when the model starts to phase through the camera. Sadly I don't know if that's an editable property.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

This is soo cooooool!!!

I don't know what I am going to use it for but it's definitely going in my install. probably help with all kinds of design issues that result in wonky explosions and Kraken summoning dances.

@DefiantZombie I am assuming this will handle any Unity collider? Even custom ones like the ones @Shadowmage KSPWheel mod adds?

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

This mod is incredible! I was able to make a near perfect 3-part crane hinge for a rover which I would have never been able to do without this... thanks a ton for taking the time to make this :)

Something odd I noticed (not a bug, just an annoying thing with stock) was just how far away from the camera the "clipping plane" is for parts... when colliders are activated you can zoom in on the collider far past when the model starts to phase through the camera. Sadly I don't know if that's an editable property.

Thank you very much for the kind words. That is indeed a bug. It was something discovered early in development. Unfortunately I'm not a graphics programmer, and it's a bug with the line renderer code I'm using that someone else wrote. I'm hoping to have a completely new method of rendering with the next major version of Collide-o-Scope.

52 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

This is soo cooooool!!!

I don't know what I am going to use it for but it's definitely going in my install. probably help with all kinds of design issues that result in wonky explosions and Kraken summoning dances.

@DefiantZombie I am assuming this will handle any Unity collider? Even custom ones like the ones @Shadowmage KSPWheel mod adds?

It should be compatible with any modded parts. Be aware that the wheel colliders in Collide-o-Scope are 100% not working correctly. The code was very quickly slapped together at the last minute and is something I plan to address with the next major version of Collide-o-Scope.

7 minutes ago, DefiantZombie said:

Thank you very much for the kind words. That is indeed a bug. It was something discovered early in development. Unfortunately I'm not a graphics programmer, and it's a bug with the line renderer code I'm using that someone else wrote. I'm hoping to have a completely new method of rendering with the next major version of Collide-o-Scope.

Huh. It's a stock bug though if I'm not mistaken so Collide-o-scope isn't causing it. Do you mean that you might try and improve it? :o

EDIT: Ah wait I think you misunderstood me - I really love that you can zoom in on the colliders so much :) It makes it far easier to fine tune the nodes. The thing I'm annoyed at is how far away the rest of the models phase out, and I wish you could zoom in more before they did. I wish the same level of zoom you have in ReStock was the case in Stock as well.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Just now, Avera9eJoe said:

Huh. It's a stock bug though if I'm not mistaken so Collide-o-scope isn't causing it. Do you mean that you might try and improve it? :o

Yep. The lines that Collide-o-Scope draws are not rendered objects that are susceptible to the clipping plane bug in KSP. They are transformed and drawn in 2D over the main camera.

2 minutes ago, DefiantZombie said:

Yep. The lines that Collide-o-Scope draws are not rendered objects that are susceptible to the clipping plane bug in KSP. They are transformed and drawn in 2D over the main camera.

Ah sweet. Disregard the edit I made in the last message then. All good things from me :) As a side note, I might link you a short clip of what I've accomplished in the last three days using your mod. It's impressive how smooth you can make hinges when knowing exactly where they interact.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

48 minutes ago, DefiantZombie said:

*snip*

It should be compatible with any modded parts. Be aware that the wheel colliders in Collide-o-Scope are 100% not working correctly. The code was very quickly slapped together at the last minute and is something I plan to address with the next major version of Collide-o-Scope.

Not just modded parts, modded parts that use a whole new custom collider that is added to the game by the mod KSPWheel

1 hour ago, Akira_R said:

Even custom ones like the ones @Shadowmage KSPWheel mod adds?

No, it probably won't work for the KSPWheel colliders -- those are not real colliders at all.  Special-case code would have to be written to read the collider data from the PartModule, as that is about the only place it exists (technically a KSPWheelCollider component is added to the game objects, but not much in them is externally accessible).

55 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

No, it probably won't work for the KSPWheel colliders -- those are not real colliders at all.  Special-case code would have to be written to read the collider data from the PartModule, as that is about the only place it exists (technically a KSPWheelCollider component is added to the game objects, but not much in them is externally accessible).

Gotcha that is what I was wondering and that makes sense, thank you.

5 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

Gotcha that is what I was wondering and that makes sense, thank you.

On that note -- KSPWheel already includes an option to render the wheel colliders.  In the in-game difficulty settings menu there is an 'enable debug' or similar, which gets you another app-launcher button that opens a debug window; inside that window is a button/checkbox to enable/disable/toggle rendering of the wheel colliders.

Just now, Shadowmage said:

On that note -- KSPWheel already includes an option to render the wheel colliders.  In the in-game difficulty settings menu there is an 'enable debug' or similar, which gets you another app-launcher button that opens a debug window; inside that window is a button/checkbox to enable/disable/toggle rendering of the wheel colliders.

D'oH!! I totally forgot about that, I have even used it numerous times lol. I blame my month long camping/road trip for the memory lapse.

12 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Edit: Redacted. I dumbed and didn't read properly. Apologies.

Edited by DefiantZombie

Just now, DefiantZombie said:

I don't see anything like that in the difficulty options or alt+f12 debug window. What's the trick?

From the space center, hit escape to bring up the menu, then go to the settings menu, then difficulty options, then on the left there should be a KSPWheel tab with a bunch of settings in it.  On the left side of the KSPWheel options there should be a check-box or similar to enable debug mode.  After that you might need to change scenes for the debug button to show up in the stock app-launcher/button thing.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Vjrcr said:

Is there a document the tells you what each colour does and or what each in-flight marker means? I have figured out what all but the green marker means in flight.

I apologize for not responding to this post sooner. Red is drag, blue is surface lift, cyan is body lift (in combined mode those become purple and one arrow), magenta is thrust. The yellow sphere is center of mass, and the green is the root part.

I will create a support issue to have this added to the readme with the next point release.

Edit: Note that the next point release of Collide-o-Scope will be removing the flight markers. Those will be released under a separate mod.

Edited by DefiantZombie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.