What happened to the Porkjet parts?

Superluminaut

16 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

Rumor has it, he got a better offer at a different company, but I wouldn't put too much credibility on rumors. Also, please don't start the devs-leaving discussion again.

Oh, you mean

Edited by FreeThinker

3 minutes ago, Probus said:

@Porkjet shall be missed.  Hopefully he will still mod for us a bit.  His parts are some of the best eye candy out there!

I can confirm that he left weeks before the "exodus" though.

Too bad they now demand that all devs must speak fluently in spanish, that will exclude a lot of talent

Just now, Kobymaru said:

That's just nonsense. There are still devs on the Team that don't speak spanish.

Well that might be true for the exsitng developers, but their new policy appears to be fluent spanish speaking only

I guess now that they have estblished a reputation, they have the luxury to be picky

2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well that might be true for the exsitng developers, but their new policy appears to be fluent spanish speaking only

Thanks for the link, but I read that differently. Fluent spanish is a requirement for "The ideal candidate". Those job listings often contain a wishlist of all that the company desires, not hard requirements.

So given two equally qualified candidates, spanish speakers will be preferred. That does not mean that they won't hire an excellent gun if they don't speak spanish.

11 hours ago, Laguna said:

During the final months of the 1.1 development period, the devnotes said that Porkjet was starting the planning for the rocket part overhaul, which was to be in a future version--1.2 was never specified.  With his departure, the whole thing is up in the air. Maybe another dev will pick it up, maybe there will be a whole different kind of overhaul, maybe nothing at all.

I suspect the parts we did get--just the 1.25m engines and tanks, plus the Mk1 pod--were all he had completed before his departure, it would explain a lot.

The parts are just like a parts mod, simply put it in Gamedata.  They don't replace the old stock parts, they just get added to the existing ones.  Some simple Module Manager patches can replace the old versions with the new ones.

I wish I never known his works and plans.

My heart really broken when I heard their departure.

30 minutes ago, SaturnV said:

I wish I never known his works and plans.

My heart really broken when I heard their departure.

Actualy this is a great oportunity to create a mod that adds upgrades to stocck parts, and mod developers can use it to upgrade their own part with higher techs unlocked. It open up a lot of possiblities

11 hours ago, Higgs said:

@Laguna So, if im reading you correctly, just drop and go? Truth be told squad hyped the rocket part revamp, failure to put them in stock at some point could be false advertising....could be

...which is exactly why they should not tell us as much as they do in spite of everybody saying they should tell us every single thing every single dev is doing every second of every day.

@5thHorseman They opened Pandora's box on the work by porkjet. Going silent is a bad bad bad idea. It's allowing conspiracy theory to catch fire. They need now more than ever to be 100% transparent on the work done by porkjet. 

@klgraham1013 plans change, yes. But, and this is important, Squad PAID him for that work. They touted it, hyped it and then went silent after giving a part of it as a mod. This is bad in two ways. First some players can't or won't mod ksp. That keeps users from using it. Second point is in the above paragraph.

15 hours ago, Higgs said:

@Laguna So, if im reading you correctly, just drop and go? Truth be told squad hyped the rocket part revamp, failure to put them in stock at some point could be false advertising....could be

Ok, this is late, but yes, just drop it into Gamedata.  Initially, we were told that modders would have to finish the parts and write the configs, but as it turned out the released parts are complete and ready-to-use, .cfg files included.

============================

Ah, I seem to have slightly misrembered the 1.1 devnotes concerning Porkjet's revamp, as I went back and searched for all mentions of it.  Here are the three relevant quotes on it:

Dec. 22, 2015

In addition to the landing gear Chris, with help from Nathanael and the experimental test team, has started working on a concept for overhauling the rocket parts in a similar fashion as the plane parts. This is more of a long-term plan, which will most likely start showing up in version 1.2, but regardless it’s good to get the planning phase started.

(I thought I saw 1.2 being mentioned all that time ago as the target for the revamp)

Jan. 5, 2016:

Chris (Porkjet) has continued planning the start of overhauling the rocket parts in future versions. Special attention is being paid to ways to make the parts more versatile while staying true to the lego approach that KSP has. We’re reading suggestions in the forums, and the QA & experimental test teams have also provided useful feedback for this process. One feature we’re looking into with special interest is giving some engines the ability to switch their attachment between multiple sizes automatically. We’ll have to see how well that would fit in with the game.

Mar 1 2016:

Between wrapping up QA and the computer problems we don’t have many specific bugs to report on at this time, everyone has been focussing on their own work...Chris (Porkjet) is still working on his redesign of the rocket parts

That was the last mention of the revamp.

And then there was this note on the PBR lighting model:

Feb. 10, 2016:

Good news comes our way from Germany: Chris (Porkjet) fixed an issue with specular highlights that was affecting the shaders with the old lighting model in Unity 5. This means that an issue where parts shaders would look quite bad has been fixed for the coming update. On the flip side, the new (PBR) lighting model will also have to be pushed back to beyond 1.1 over performance concerns with the real time reflections. We’ll be looking into creating a more efficient, custom solution for this problem at a later date.

Edited by Laguna

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I guess now that they have estblished a reputation, they have the luxury to be picky

I guess with Harvester gone, they aren't asking for Portuguese speakers.  Not sure how I missed the whole kurfluffle.

Given everything that has transpired in the past couple of weeks, I hope that Squad is able to provide some specifics as to the future development plans for KSP.

Given the current size of the development team for the game, it is hard to imagine any meaningful progress being made in terms of future development for at least the next 6 - 9 months.

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

...which is exactly why they should not tell us as much as they do in spite of everybody saying they should tell us every single thing every single dev is doing every second of every day.

Not really.  False advertising implies they were using it to sell the product.  If you didn't buy the product explicitly for the promise of a rocket part revamp, you have no false advertising claim.

14 hours ago, Alshain said:

Not really.  False advertising implies they were using it to sell the product.  If you didn't buy the product explicitly for the promise of a rocket part revamp, you have no false advertising claim.

Yep. False advertising, in a nutshell, consists on intentionally making false statements about the product in order to mislead the consumer, compelling him to acquire it when, in absence of the characteristics/features publicized or being it different from what was marketed, he would not. Think about Peter Molyneux for a sec.

Would someone be kind and explain to this code illiterate here how to create a config to replace stock parts with porkjet's? Pls? Very pls?

2 hours ago, BadLeo said:

Would someone be kind and explain to this code illiterate here how to create a config to replace stock parts with porkjet's? Pls? Very pls?

There's a config on the last page of the post about the Porkjet parts in 1.2 Modding Discussions.

6 hours ago, BadLeo said:

Yep. False advertising, in a nutshell, consists on intentionally making false statements about the product in order to mislead the consumer, compelling him to acquire it when, in absence of the characteristics/features publicized or being it different from what was marketed, he would not. Think about Peter Molyneux for a sec.

*cough*NoMansSky*cough*

Someone had to do it. :D
Sad PorkJet left. :(

Edited by SpaceMouse

On 10/12/2016 at 8:32 AM, Srpadget said:

So, what's up with landing legs?

they're out of alignment and when you try to rotate them in the editor, you have to futz around with all 3 axis, two of which are 2 or 3 degrees off, and the editor only allows for 5 degree increments, so you have to turn off angle snap and try to eye-ball it

3 hours ago, Xyphos said:

they're out of alignment and when you try to rotate them in the editor, you have to futz around with all 3 axis, two of which are 2 or 3 degrees off, and the editor only allows for 5 degree increments, so you have to turn off angle snap and try to eye-ball it

Or you could select rotation mode, click on the part with angle snap enabled, hit F, and then click on one of the axises.

Done. Aligned.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Kerbal101 said:

OP, can you please update your original post with this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/57alzu/porkjet_part_replacements/

This is the config for ModuleManager, that hides "old" engines so there are no duplicates if Porkjet's work is installed.

Or you can use this one:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.