What happened to the Porkjet parts?

Superluminaut

29 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Or you can use this one:

This is many degrees of awesome! Many thanks for making that and for replying to me!

Speaking of Porkjet's overhaul, I also found this:

The grep against "TestSubjects" returns no files in Gamedata, it would be cool if this could be addressed or anyone could hint how can this be corrected. :)

7 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

This is many degrees of awesome! Many thanks for making that and for replying to me!

Speaking of Porkjet's overhaul, I also found this:

The grep against "TestSubjects" returns no files in Gamedata, it would be cool if this could be addressed or anyone could hint how can this be corrected. :)

The new parts do have test subjects defined in them (where the part they are replacing had test subjects defined).
I think only the LV-909 and LV-T45 did and have them defined in the replacement parts config files.

2 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

The new parts do have test subjects defined in them (where the part they are replacing had test subjects defined).
I think only the LV-909 and LV-T45 did and have them defined in the replacement parts config files.

Do you know if its possible to simply replace the existing engines with modified parts, by using existing config of new engines and then simply deleting old and renaming these parts? Are there some underwater stones to do this (I don't care for broken stock crafts) ? Thanks!

40 minutes ago, Kerbal101 said:

Do you know if its possible to simply replace the existing engines with modified parts, by using existing config of new engines and then simply deleting old and renaming these parts? Are there some underwater stones to do this (I don't care for broken stock crafts) ? Thanks!

You can just delete the old part configs if you don't want them in your install. All it will do is break saves and craft files that use them.
Yes you could rename the new parts to cover off the old part names if you want in your install. That would have the benefit of not breaking saves and craft files.
Should be fine. (tm) :D

On 31.10.2016 at 11:19 PM, JPLRepo said:

You can just delete the old part configs if you don't want them in your install. All it will do is break saves and craft files that use them.
Yes you could rename the new parts to cover off the old part names if you want in your install. That would have the benefit of not breaking saves and craft files.
Should be fine. (tm) :D

Thanks! I gave it a shot, and it works!
The "Porkjet overhaul" classic part replacement to 1:1!

1. Get the Porkjet mod as usual and install it.
2. Create a cfg file somewhere (GameData/PartOverhauls/pork-replacer.cfg) and paste this:

(script version: v3 )

// you can remove these comment lines, these are purely informational.
// 
// v3.
// fixed previous workaround, where it deleted original parts instead of new ones.
// this resulted in stock vehicles being incompatible. 
// Craft built with previous version can be fixed, by removing these parts, saving, and only then updating this config.
//
// v2.
// fixed the issue with modulemanager by changing the method parts are replaced
// "when you rename a NODE you can't then use the syntax NODE[name] to target it"
// credit goes to Sigma88.
// 
// v1.
// Initial. Parts are replaced 1:1. Porkjet parts have Porkjet's stats, they all have atmopheric curves and contracts.

+PART[mk1podNew]:AFTER[Squad] { @name = mk1pod }
+PART[liquidEngineT45]:AFTER[Squad] { @name = liquidEngine2 }
+PART[liquidEngineT30]:AFTER[Squad] { @name = liquidEngine }
+PART[liquidEngine909]:AFTER[Squad] { @name = liquidEngine3 }
+PART[fuelTank100]:AFTER[Squad] { @name = fuelTankSmallFlat }
+PART[fuelTank200]:AFTER[Squad] { @name = fuelTankSmall }
+PART[fuelTank400]:AFTER[Squad] { @name = fuelTank }
+PART[fuelTank800]:AFTER[Squad] { @name = fuelTank_long }

-PART[mk1podNew]:AFTER[Squad] {}
-PART[liquidEngineT45]:AFTER[Squad] {}
-PART[liquidEngineT30]:AFTER[Squad] {}
-PART[liquidEngine909]:AFTER[Squad] {}
-PART[fuelTank100]:AFTER[Squad] {}
-PART[fuelTank200]:AFTER[Squad] {}
-PART[fuelTank400]:AFTER[Squad] {}
-PART[fuelTank800]:AFTER[Squad] {}

3. Save and start.

Effects:

- all the old 2m LF engines/fuels/mk1 are gone and replaced with new parts,
- in science career mode in rnd facility only new engines (all of them) are present,
- all stock vehicles (rockets) load nicely with new engines/parts.

Here is stock PT Munsplorer loaded (without any changes to craft) when this config is applied:

cgdQmfu.jpg

Edit: yes, naked/bobtail shipped cfg are identical, checked with kdiff3.

Edit 2: updated config with @Psycho_zs suggestion. Thank you, Psycho_zs!

Edit 3: improved the version with help of @Sigma88 (v2). Afterwards found and fixed my own mistake of removing wrong parts (v3). Tested in 1.3

Edited by Kerbal101
Edit from 2017.06.15: Fixed an issue with removing incorrect parts. Tested.

On 10/11/2016 at 8:49 PM, Higgs said:

@Laguna So, if im reading you correctly, just drop and go? Truth be told squad hyped the rocket part revamp, failure to put them in stock at some point could be false advertising....could be

Go ahead and hire a lawyer for $300 an hour to sue Squad over your $40 game.

On 10/31/2016 at 6:47 PM, RocketBlam said:

Go ahead and hire a lawyer for $300 an hour to sue Squad over your $40 game.

False Advertising is described as: Deceptive advertising, also known as false advertising, refers to a manufacturer's use of confusing, misleading, or blatantly untrue statements when promoting a product."

This means, that, it COULD be construed that Squad in hyping the rocket part revamp by Porkjet, that they were advertising a feature to be expected. Porkjet has left. Both these statements, no one will deny as truth, in that, Squad made such hype public and the aforementioned departure from the team of Porkjet. 

This means, that, if they never include them as anything other than a mod, this is deceptive advertising, as they did at some point claim these revamps as stock additions. It is all how it is perceived. And there ARE people out there that have nothing better to do than burn money, however, I am NOT one such person. I am however, the type of person to point this kind of issue out.

Disclaimer: My words are my own opinion. It is NOT my responsibility to make you like, dislike or take no notice of my words. Your reaction dear reader, is YOUR reaction and YOUR responsibility. 

I can definitely say that the part upgrade system is working well. MOLE uses it extensively, replacing custom code I wrote for a very similar system. I hope Squad makes more use of it in the future. I also had a chance to play with the part overhauls during pre-release and created a mesh switcher that switched between standard and boattail versions of the overhauled parts. You can find it in the post linked below.

I also was working on my version of Porkjet's KR-1 but that is presently on hold due to other projects.

• 2 weeks later...

@Kerbal101 you can also tweak 'identicalParts' parameters for renamed parts in full integration, so they remain linked:

@PART[liquidEngineT30]:FINAL { @name = liquidEngine }
@PART[liquidEngineT30_Boattail]:FINAL { @identicalParts = liquidEngine }
@PART[liquidEngineT45]:FINAL { @name = liquidEngine2 }
@PART[liquidEngineT45_Boattail]:FINAL { @identicalParts = liquidEngine2 }
@PART[liquidEngine909]:FINAL { @name = liquidEngine3 }
@PART[liquidEngine909_Boattail]:FINAL { @identicalParts = liquidEngine3 }

This is what it should have been from the get go.

Anyone know what "identicalParts" does/means?  I can't seem to find a reference.

Finally found it:

identicalParts

What parts are identical to this and should unlock with this

Edited by tg626

@Psycho_zs Will do it, thanks!

But there is still a troubling part, and its ":FINAL" (apply change as late as possible).
You see, I was unable to figure out how to make that part delete/rename operation as early as possible, yet just right after original parts and Porkjet parts are loaded.

There is a possible trouble, if some user mod changes those original part, for example, with fuel replacers.
Imagine, (1) fuel replacer modifies original parts, and then (2) those parts then get deleted with ":FINAL" on Porkjet replacement.

Would be glad if anyone can figure that out (change :FINAL with some hierarchical name magic, that would actually work).

7 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

@Psycho_zs Will do it, thanks!

But there is still a troubling part, and its ":FINAL" (apply change as late as possible).
You see, I was unable to figure out how to make that part delete/rename operation as early as possible, yet just right after original parts and Porkjet parts are loaded.

There is a possible trouble, if some user mod changes those original part, for example, with fuel replacers.
Imagine, (1) fuel replacer modifies original parts, and then (2) those parts then get deleted with ":FINAL" on Porkjet replacement.

Would be glad if anyone can figure that out (change :FINAL with some hierarchical name magic, that would actually work).

Try something like :AFTER{PartOverhauls}:BEFORE{whateverFuelReplacerMod} in your patch. Patching order is covered towards the end of the second post of the Module Manager page.

Note that you probably shouldn't copy/paste that bit exactly, unless you have a mod exactly named whateverFuelReplacerMod in your GameData.

Edited by SchwinnTropius
included link to post covering Module Manager sequencing

On 10/31/2016 at 6:40 PM, Kerbal101 said:

Thanks! I gave it a shot, and it works!
The "Porkjet overhaul" classic part replacement to 1:1!

1. Get the Porkjet mod as usual and install it.
2. Create a cfg file somewhere (GameData/PartOverhauls/pork-replacer.cfg) and paste this:

// first remove classic parts and then rename porkjet parts to classic ones. naked engines are used.
// btw, the naked and bobtail versions of new porkjet's overhaul engines are identical, except model and name.

-PART[mk1pod]:FINAL {}
-PART[liquidEngine]:FINAL {}
-PART[liquidEngine2]:FINAL {}
-PART[liquidEngine3]:FINAL {}

-PART[fuelTankSmallFlat]:FINAL {}
-PART[fuelTankSmall]:FINAL {}
-PART[fuelTank]:FINAL {}
-PART[fuelTank_long]:FINAL {}

@PART[mk1podNew]:FINAL { @name = mk1pod }
@PART[liquidEngineT30]:FINAL { @name = liquidEngine }
@PART[liquidEngineT45]:FINAL { @name = liquidEngine2 }
@PART[liquidEngine909]:FINAL { @name = liquidEngine3 }

@PART[liquidEngineT30_Boattail]:FINAL { @identicalParts = liquidEngine }
@PART[liquidEngineT45_Boattail]:FINAL { @identicalParts = liquidEngine2 }
@PART[liquidEngine909_Boattail]:FINAL { @identicalParts = liquidEngine3 }

@PART[fuelTank100]:FINAL { @name = fuelTankSmallFlat }
@PART[fuelTank200]:FINAL { @name = fuelTankSmall }
@PART[fuelTank400]:FINAL { @name = fuelTank }
@PART[fuelTank800]:FINAL { @name = fuelTank_long }

3. Save and start.

Effects:

- all the old 2m LF engines/fuels/mk1 are gone and replaced with new parts,
- in science career mode in rnd facility only new engines (all of them) are present,
- all stock vehicles (rockets) load nicely with new engines/parts.

Here is stock PT Munsplorer loaded (without any changes to craft) when this config is applied:

cgdQmfu.jpg

Edit: yes, naked/bobtail shipped cfg are identical, checked with kdiff3.

Edit 2: updated config with @Psycho_zs suggestion. Thank you, Psycho_zs!

Hey, minor question if you don't mind me asking here.  Downloaded the mod,  created the cfg using the data above,  and started a new game...  And the old parts are still there side-by-side the new.   Any ideas on where I can look to figure out why? 

On 10/12/2016 at 3:52 AM, Higgs said:

The fact they are a mod is  blocking those who cant or wont use mods for what ever reason. I hope Squad does the right thing and makes them stock so all users can get them. 1.2.1 or 1.3 doesnt matter just as long as they become stock

I really hope squad does the right thing and completely removes this part pack and any of its traces from their website!

//EDIT: Contrary to an proof-less opinion being spread by @Veeltch, I am NOT being sarcastic here.

Edited by TheDestroyer111

To be fair, SQUAD likely honestly expected those parts to be completed and released into the stock game. When unforeseen circumstances occur you can easily end up with features not being finished. In this case, I don't think the advertisement qualifies as false advertising. SQUAD stated that they had a set of parts under development for a planned release. They never stated that the parts were already in the game - that would be false advertising. If you purchase the game (which has had free updates and improvements long after the official release) based on an expected later addition you are taking a risk which you must accept. 

I spent 40$ on KSP when it was in the 1.02 stage. Between free mods and SQUADs updates, I have basically gotten two or three sequels for free based on the development games had 10 or 12 years ago. We could have all these parts being released as paid DLC.

Besides that, the parts are mainly cosmetic, with one or two extra engines which are not really needed for gameplay. It's not like they promised that 1.2 would have new planets or something. 

Eh, since I've been having some small oddities show up, I'm going to do a fresh install and see if just the base game plus the overhall and cfg works.   Should at least help me figure out which mods might be interfering.  Just not looking forward to doing "Fly a tourist to X" missions all over again for funds =\   Would be nice if there was a central cache file with all the last round of patches MM made in it.

ETA:  Weird. Fresh install, only items in my gamedata is the revamp mod and modulemanager 2.7.4, and the old parts are all still there.  I have to be doing something wrong here.

Edited by storm6436

Problem isolated and fixed.

PSA -- When creating new files in Windows, make sure you have Explorer set to show the entire file extension.  As an old admin, this was always one of the first changes I made, but I guess for some reason when I did this Win10 box, I forgot to do it.   As a result, what I thought was pork-replacer.cfg was really pork-replacer.cfg.txt, which is totally why nothing I put in there or changed did anything.  Thanks, Windows :(

On November 21, 2016 at 2:45 AM, TheDestroyer111 said:

I really hope squad does the right thing and completely removes this part pack and any of its traces from their website!

Glad the fact they finally mentioned them directly shows they will be adressed again.

On 29.11.2016 at 8:02 PM, Tw1 said:

I quite like the look of the parts as they are. Porkjet's parts, while well modelled, tended to look to similar, for my  tastes. 

The fuel tanks in Porkjet steamline the design with 3m parts. The vanilla 1.25m fuel is very low quality in comparison.

The engines are all steamlined and look and behave like proper engines - they surpass the quality of all existing engines (maybe except and comparable to S3 KS-25).

Contrary to your statement they all look different. Clamshelled versions have numbers to indicate their designation and naked versions all differ in looks and sizes.

UFvQk5R.jpg

(clickable ^^^ )

On 21/11/2016 at 9:45 AM, TheDestroyer111 said:

I'm assuming you are sarcastic here.

I don't know how many polygons these parts have (hopefully not enough to kill my laptop), but I would really like to see them being stockified. The major problem here is there are only a few of them. Thankfully PJ made a whole sheet for how other engines should look like if there's an attempt to continue the revamp. And I really hope it does continue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.