What happened to the Porkjet parts?

Superluminaut

On 08/12/2016 at 4:27 AM, Kerbal101 said:

Contrary to your statement they all look different.

Not really. Each of most of KSP's engines each has its own look, with different shapes, textures, its own identity- (Though technically a few come in groups.) 

These are all just variations on the one theme. They have different details, but over all, are very similar in how they all look. None of them is that recognisable as its own thing. 

I'll be happier if the parts get a proper polish which preserves  each part's style.

Edited by Tw1

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2016 at 3:21 AM, storm6436 said:

Hey, minor question if you don't mind me asking here.  Downloaded the mod,  created the cfg using the data above,  and started a new game...  And the old parts are still there side-by-side the new.   Any ideas on where I can look to figure out why? 

Okay, so what I thought was the answer was that you just copy and replace each cfg file with its new version, but apparently not. What I did:

1. Installed the mod to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData (http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Installing_Addons#Steps for very basic instructions)
  2. Added a new pork-replacer.cfg file with the code given in the post to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\PartOverhauls
  3. Opened the .\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Parts\Engine and .\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\PartOverhauls\Parts\Engine\JebsJunkyard folders
  4. Copied and replaced the cfg files from the PartOverhauls side into the corresponding folder on the Squad side (eg. copy file liquidEngineLV-T30.cfg from .\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\PartOverhauls\Parts\Engine\JebsJunkyard to .\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Parts\Engine\liquidEngineLV-T30 and replace the identical cfg file in there)
  5. Repeat the last step for all the new parts

THIS DOES NOT WORK

I started ksp and opened up my saved game (that I've spent numerous hours on) to find that, as soon as I got to the KSC screen, a bunch of error messages popped up, all saying something like

"Vessel SpaceFriendShip was not loaded because it had the following parts missing:
liquidEngine3
fuelTank.long"

Nearly half of all the ships I had in flight vanished. Clearly I have misunderstood the provided directions.Could someone give very explicit steps for how to go about replacing the stock parts with the new ones?

Until then I'm just reinstalling the old files and playing with the normal parts. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Loonybin0 said:

Okay, so what I thought was the answer was that you just copy and replace each cfg file with its new version, but apparently not. What I did:

1. Installed the mod to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData (http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Installing_Addons#Steps for very basic instructions)
  2. Added a new pork-replacer.cfg file with the code given in the post to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\PartOverhauls
  3. Opened the .\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Parts\Engine and .\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\PartOverhauls\Parts\Engine\JebsJunkyard folders
  4. Copied and replaced the cfg files from the PartOverhauls side into the corresponding folder on the Squad side (eg. copy file liquidEngineLV-T30.cfg from .\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\PartOverhauls\Parts\Engine\JebsJunkyard to .\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Parts\Engine\liquidEngineLV-T30 and replace the identical cfg file in there)
  5. Repeat the last step for all the new parts

THIS DOES NOT WORK

I started ksp and opened up my saved game (that I've spent numerous hours on) to find that, as soon as I got to the KSC screen, a bunch of error messages popped up, all saying something like

"Vessel SpaceFriendShip was not loaded because it had the following parts missing:
liquidEngine3
fuelTank.long"

Nearly half of all the ships I had in flight vanished. Clearly I have misunderstood the provided directions.Could someone give very explicit steps for how to go about replacing the stock parts with the new ones?

Until then I'm just reinstalling the old files and playing with the normal parts. Thanks.

Try just installing the parts folder without deleting the original parts. You'll need another cfg file to hide the extra parts. 

On 1/23/2017 at 9:17 PM, sardia said:

Try just installing the parts folder without deleting the original parts. You'll need another cfg file to hide the extra parts. 

Would you mind directing me to where I could find such a cfg file, and would it go in the overhaul folder or the squad folder?

Edited by Loonybin0

38 minutes ago, fourfa said:

this might help?

If you follow the link for 3) Replacer, full integration, you'll see why this advice is not helpful. My first post quoted a post that quoted those instructions.

Edited by Loonybin0
made more explicit

3 hours ago, Loonybin0 said:

Would you mind directing me to where I could find such a cfg file, and would it go in the overhaul folder or the squad folder?

Does installing the pork jet parts work? And no, I don't know where to get it. I'll take a look. 

2 hours ago, sardia said:

Does installing the pork jet parts work? And no, I don't know where to get it. I'll take a look. 

Yes, sorry that I didn't say this, but the new parts do show up after installing the mod, But I would like to fully replace the originals with them

On 08.12.2016 at 3:14 PM, Tw1 said:

Not really. Each of most of KSP's engines each has its own look, with different shapes, textures, its own identity- (Though technically a few come in groups.) 

These are all just variations on the one theme. They have different details, but over all, are very similar in how they all look. None of them is that recognisable as its own thing. 

I'll be happier if the parts get a proper polish which preserves  each part's style.

They are very different. I assume the confusion is between LV-15,30,45; because 303 and 909 are visually too different.
Within LV-15,30,45:
- the shrouded versions have a clear number label written on them, so replacements are much more distinctive even than original two engines - because original parts only differed in nozzle extension size.
- the naked version: LV-15 (valiant) is much smaller than 30 and 45, so it can't be confused
-- and between 30 and 45, their nozzle looks similar to original with 30 having a lengthier nozzle extension and 45 having a shorter but wider nozzle extension. In addition, the 45 has distinctively more complex gimbaling system.

Where they need detail is the shrouded and naked versions, as currently they do not differ in aerodynamics and attachments.
The shrouded was supposed to be more aerodynamically efficient, where the naked was supposed to be surface attachable (like vector).

5 hours ago, Loonybin0 said:

If you follow the link for 3) Replacer, full integration, you'll see why this advice is not helpful. My first post quoted a post that quoted those instructions.

Where did you get instructions for step 4? Its clearly not in the thread.

Each engine in the mod has own configuration, but its based and depends upon existing configuration of stock engines!

If you only add the mod into gamedata, following happens:
1. KSP loads classic engines
2. KSP finds that mod, and the mod creates NEW config, which is based upon config of classic engines.

If you apply step 3(replacer), then:
3. After 1 and 2 happen, the engine configs of (1) is overwritten with (2).

If you destroy 1. config by manually overwritting it with 2., then 2. config can't be generated.

You could proceed to manually merge classic engine config into new config and then replace the classic config in Squad folder with your result.
But it will be time waste and you will loose flexibility of adding/removing mod and youll have to redo your changes if next KSP release modifies these classic engines.
Why not let module manager do the work for you instead?

18 hours ago, Loonybin0 said:

Here's the thing: I have done your steps 1 & 2, saved the cfg and started ksp, and this is what I see

:DLhPUr9nMOrfnoijzMVV-ZWOJHRniJNj3Qc-GGpi

That's why I tried my own steps before - because I couldn't get the original parts to go away. Any ideas?

I don't understand what "DLhPUr9nMOrfnoijzMVV-YWOJHRniJNj3Qc-GGpi" is.

"because I couldn't get the original parts to go away."

If the new parts and engines show up, but the old parts and engines are still present, then:

1) either you are not using the latest version of Module Manager. Please install it from original website, its just one DLL, that should be dropped directly into "Gamedata"
2) the configuration file you created in step 3 is not working. Make sure that it exists, that file extension is correct and contents are correct. If you are using Operating System that may hide file extensions, make sure file extensions are shown.

Edited by Kerbal101

Two things:

18 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

I don't understand what "DLhPUr9nMOrfnoijzMVV-YWOJHRniJNj3Qc-GGpi" is.

That is a picture. I'm not sure why you can't see it, but you can try: https://goo.gl/photos/LmPT71zcsLb4E1X76.

However, it doesn't matter because:

18 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

1) either you are not using the latest version of Module Manager. Please install it from original website, its just one DLL, that should be dropped directly into "Gamedata"

This is the first mod I've needed Module Manager for. This is no doubt a noobie mistake that will have you rolling your eyes, but every other mod I've tried (not many) worked fine without it. What I ended up doing was downloading CKAN, and using that to install both the Part Overhauls mod and Module Manager. Problem solved - full part replacement seems to be working. Thanks for your patience.

One final question: The new stock parts are backwards compatible, but I'm guessing the other ones like "pug" and the shelled versions of the stock parts are not?

5 minutes ago, Loonybin0 said:

Two things:

That is a picture. I'm not sure why you can't see it, but you can try: https://goo.gl/photos/LmPT71zcsLb4E1X76.

However, it doesn't matter because:

This is the first mod I've needed Module Manager for. This is no doubt a noobie mistake that will have you rolling your eyes, but every other mod I've tried (not many) worked fine without it. What I ended up doing was downloading CKAN, and using that to install both the Part Overhauls mod and Module Manager. Problem solved - full part replacement seems to be working. Thanks for your patience.

One final question: The new stock parts are backwards compatible, but I'm guessing the other ones like "pug" and the shelled versions of the stock parts are not?

Well, it is. Module Manager makes the whole "patching" thing possible and is defacto the thing which makes replacing-,parenting- or removing- mods possible.
I can assume that the mods you were using only added stuff, but not modified anything. Let's save you another mistake - make sure that only one modulemanager DLL exists in gamedata. Really strange things will happen if some mod author tosses it inside its own mod (just to be sure). Things like 1 hour loading times.

Nice to hear its working. Yes this is correct! Pug and LV-15 are new and loading the craft without this mod will cause it to fail complaining about the missing part.
Relatively easy to correct though - open the ship file directly with the decent plain text editor (best with squares highlighting and squares fold support), search for the missing part KSP has been complaining about, delete its block - and ship will load. Although it will be missing that deleted part. Have fun, glad I could help!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.