[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

4 hours ago, Waz said:

The objects need to be in the TransparentFX layer in order to avoid being shadowed upon (in the current release), so most likely this is something Lack's Stock Extension needs to fix.

Hrm, ok well I don't think @linuxgurugamer has the environment to mess with models, but tagging him on this so he can add it to the list of issues should he ever team up with a modeler for patching up stuff

Hi everyone, by tracking a bug i have now the confirmation of a bug when EVE + Konstruct are activated.

The bug :

Loading a game after loading KSP : all is OK.

Loading a game after come back to the menu. All is not OK (Konstruct not working). It could prevent other mod to work too, not tested that.

The log with only this two mod :

http://bfs.ensea.fr//files/183a06a3ab32e953ec837d25b4fb18d6/KSP.log

http://bfs.ensea.fr//files/6a398f9860bbe80993190cc55ec0ccca/output_log.txt

it does not appear with konstruct alone.

Edited by msnbcorp

32 minutes ago, msnbcorp said:

Hi everyone, by tracking a bug i have now the confirmation of a bug when EVE + Konstruct are activated.

The bug :

Loading a game after loading KSP : all is OK.

Loading a game after come back to the menu. All is not OK (Konstruct not working). It could prevent other mod to work too, not tested that.

The log with only this two mod :

http://bfs.ensea.fr//files/183a06a3ab32e953ec837d25b4fb18d6/KSP.log

http://bfs.ensea.fr//files/6a398f9860bbe80993190cc55ec0ccca/output_log.txt

it looks like EVE is accessing some PQSMods which are managed by KK.  but KK doesn't throw an error... really strange.

6 minutes ago, Ger_space said:

it looks like EVE is accessing some PQSMods which are managed by KK.  but KK doesn't throw an error... really strange.

It may be EVE is accessing the PQS Mod so shadows are not cast on the models. That was the only thing that has recently changed with EVE.

Just now, msnbcorp said:

Hum, you see this where in the mods ?

But OK. Have you an idea to correct this ?

Try disabling the shadowMaterial in the EVE GUI.

18 minutes ago, Galileo said:

It may be EVE is accessing the PQS Mod so shadows are not cast on the models. That was the only thing that has recently changed with EVE.

Try disabling the shadowMaterial in the EVE GUI.

I have tested with the version before this one and you are right, this is it. The last version create a bug all is OK with the version before.

13 minutes ago, msnbcorp said:

Hum seem to don't work via the ingame gui. Maybe the plugin load anywhere...

Are you saying you can't turn off the shadowMaterial via the GUI? If that's the case, you are likely not doing something right. Open the GUI, go to the Cloud Manager and find the cloud layers that have shadowMaterials active and disable it. 

The problem is that the last modif is not the only modif, there are a lot between the two release and there si no intermediate relase to test it. Maybe i have to test by recompiling the mods without the line. I understand Csharp but never done that XD

Or if someone can just revert the last modif : (two lines) :

https://github.com/WazWaz/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/commit/204cbd6a8f9a6ceb096e27d6966e7bd6a6a93308

and send me the compiled files, i have not the tools right there, it could be easier for me. As so i can test if it's really this last modif.

Edited by msnbcorp

Well i'm not sure but it seems that the last pre-release version of konstruct solve the bug. I'm checking that.
But the log error still remain :

http://bfs.ensea.fr//files/242f5080f9538ef75cf464dd09ac14e7/output_log.txt

Well, final test done. The bug is here with the version 9.9.6 of Kerbal Konstruct but not with the pre-release version 9.9.7. BUT the error message remain. With no visual impact ingame.

I strongly recommend to go to 9.9.7 for everybody ^^

Edited by msnbcorp

4 hours ago, msnbcorp said:

Well i'm not sure but it seems that the last pre-release version of konstruct solve the bug. I'm checking that.
But the log error still remain :

http://bfs.ensea.fr//files/242f5080f9538ef75cf464dd09ac14e7/output_log.txt

Note that this exception is in *CelestialShadows* - i.e. the eclipse shadows which look a bit sucky, not the cloud shadows.

I don't yet see why it's happening though.

Hum maybe it's the reason why it is not related to my last bug. But this remain that my observed bug don't happen with the pre-release... and is only related with interaction between "last version of EVE" + "release before pre-release of KK"

Edited by msnbcorp

13 minutes ago, msnbcorp said:

Hum maybe it's the reason why it is not related to my last bug. But this remain that my observed bug don't happen with the pre-release... and is only related with interaction between "last version of EVE" + "release before pre-release of KK"

It could be a number of things but it's extremely unlikely to have been the transparent FX thing. Most likely it's related to the change that makes the clouds work on the main menu (the actual change was to initialize the mod correctly upon scene change, the main menu was just a bonus).

2 minutes ago, msnbcorp said:

Ok, so well, keep the pre-release like that and make it a release as soon as possible. And thanks to the modders for these great works :wink:

Did you mean to post that in the KK forum? EVE isn't currently in pre-release.

Well, re-Hello every-one, do you remember when i came here to complain about my ugly cloud ^^

Well i manage to find the cause of my feeling and correct it VERY easily.

And well it seems to be mainly the cause of strange choice in SVE. Don't really understant why theses choices.  As i came here, I report here and then point SVE topic here.

So the cloud first -> During my debugging i test SVE alone and ... WOOO, beautiful cloud ... far from the "you never get better" that i was told when i came with my screenshots here XD. So i analyse the difference in the .cfg and it appears that if SVE add layers it decrease drastily the detail level too. By default in EVE it's 30 and in SVE it's 10.

Just to compare ->

SVE parameter :

bb152a6094393da8e6a9bc8963ef9507.png

EVE parameter in SVE

9e8333827741334e042c827ee11d93b1.png

Farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr better.

I keep asking my self why, just why a mod designed to be "for high end computer" or "the most beautiful config to EVE" choose to set important detail parameter far lower than the stock EVE ... mystery for me...

14 minutes ago, msnbcorp said:

Well, re-Hello every-one, do you remember when i came here to complain about my ugly cloud ^^

Well i manage to find the cause of my feeling and correct it VERY easily.

And well it seems to be mainly the cause of strange choice in SVE. Don't really understant why theses choices.  As i came here, I report here and then point SVE topic here.

So the cloud first -> During my debugging i test SVE alone and ... WOOO, beautiful cloud ... far from the "you never get better" that i was told when i came with my screenshots here XD. So i analyse the difference in the .cfg and it appears that if SVE add layers it decrease drastily the detail level too. By default in EVE it's 30 and in SVE it's 10.

Just to compare ->

SVE parameter :

bb152a6094393da8e6a9bc8963ef9507.png

EVE parameter in SVE

9e8333827741334e042c827ee11d93b1.png

Farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr better.

I keep asking my self why, just why a mod designed to be "for high end computer" or "the most beautiful config to EVE" choose to set important detail parameter far lower than the stock EVE ... mystery for me...

That is done to prevent the obvious tiling you will see in low orbit. I have reasons for everything I have done in SVE. Make changes at your own risk. Due to the how SVE is set up with module manager, making changes in the GUI will break a lot of features. Can't say I didn't warn you.

and like I said, feel free to make your own visual pack instead of being so objective toward another mod. If you can provide a better pack then go for it. 

Edited by Galileo

19 minutes ago, msnbcorp said:

All you've done is make the detail smaller, so it shows up more obviously from the ground. From space, it will be too small to be visible. These settings have nothing to do with performance - EVE doesn't "turn down the detail" using this setting.

Producing content for KSP is a great way to get a feel for how massive the world is... even a world like Kerbin that is one tenth the size of Earth. Clouds need about 1 pixel per 1 meter to show detail as you see them in real life. To do that across the entire planet requires 1.5 TRILLION pixels. EVE allows you to cheat by having two levels of resolution - one for the presence-or-not of clouds at about 1-kilometer resolution, then another texture (the detail texture) that is just repeatedly tiled over the whole planet but only visible where the first texture says "clouds go here".

Edit: and to complete the story, UVnoise provides a level of resolution between these two, displacing the pixels in the main texture so that the pixels aren't too visible, thus allowing the detail texture to be more easily create visual distinction since it doesn't need to be big enough to hide the pixelization. UVnoise has a secondary feature in that it can be animated, giving unrealistic but cool effects on planets like Jool.

Getting great results with such a system requires artistic skill I don't have, but @Galileo and other who produce EVE configs do and have done an amazing job faking those 1.5 trillion pixels.

Edited by Waz

Understanding that, no problem.

But the problem you mention is only a problem in high orbit when you have to deal with the global cloud texture, and it is a great work to produce this "kerbin1.dds" in so high resolution etc... no problem about that.

And i understand that turn down the detail, but the result is better from the ground. I'm pragmatic ^^ one problem after one.

How to deal with this result from low orbit when the global texture is not here again is an other story but i feel that it could be solve with the EVE tool without deleting the advantages of beautiful cloud from the ground.

Here again, criticizing here is purely pramatic, not personnal.

Edited by msnbcorp

1 hour ago, msnbcorp said:

interesting, good to know thanks. I get why Galileo does this but I will def be using this to swap the parameter around to be used as I see fit in ground vs. space situations.

6 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

interesting, good to know thanks. I get why Galileo does this but I will def be using this to swap the parameter around to be used as I see fit in ground vs. space situations.

I certainly don't get it, i have little experience. But i imagine this is due to the fact that in low orbit it render too much cloud or things like that when the cloud system is running yet and have not let place to the big cloud texture ?

Or it's no that ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.