[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

@Mitchz95 that window thing is old, I don't know anything about that art of the code. But there are other mods for that now, and the built-in support that came with 1.1.

I've been looking into the weird cloud shadow thing that @Galileo reported and @blackrack posted a fix for - it's strongly looking like a Unity Projector bug, so I'll be looking closer at it outside KSP. I'll report it to Unity in case Squad updates to a later Unity (unlikely in the short term), but I'll also try to find a workaround. It's livable with @blackrack's patch, but Applying settings borks it back up again (even though the same code is run).

On 10/12/2016 at 5:19 PM, Waz said:

Planet textures never came from EVE AFAIK. What you want is a Kopernicus or TextureReplacer config.

Eons ago, maybe back in the EVE Overhaul days, @rbray89 was replacing terrain detail textures of the planets. Things like rocks, grass, etc textures, not the entire body. I don't remember specifically what version it was, but I always had to remove the code and recompile because my PC absolutely despised what he was trying in the beginning. They looked pretty good when they worked, and I _think_ the City Lights in the latest post-overhaul release ended up using the same code. 

Edit: At the time this was added to EVE I don't think TextureReplacer supported replacing any texture, which I'm 99% sure it now does. So that might be a better option. 

Edited by Cydonian Monk

46 minutes ago, Waz said:

@Mitchz95@Galileo that window thing is old, I don't know anything about that art of the code. But there are other mods for that now, and the built-in support that came with 1.1.

Ok, thanks. Can you link me one of those mods? The built-in overlay is nice, but it cuts away some of the exterior and it's kind of ugly. :P

48 minutes ago, Waz said:

EVE build 1.2-2, for KSP 1.2

See https://github.com/WazWaz/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases for latest release.

This patch fixes cloud shadow renderer order and improves performance of volumetric clouds when far away (eg. in orbit) via new config: layerVolume.visibleRange (default 10000).

HECK YES WAZ! i was uploading a new version when i saw this. the upload came to a screeching halt needless to say :)

@Waz So if someone is still experiencing some lag from volumetric clouds all the need to do is lower the visible range from 10,000 to say 5,000 for example?

if thats the case, you have probably done the single best thing that has happened to EVE. People will absolutely love that!

Just tested this out... SO DAMN GOOD. 

Edited by Galileo

17 minutes ago, Galileo said:

HECK YES WAZ! i was uploading a new version when i saw this. the upload came to a screeching halt needless to say :)

Heck yes, you - the only reason I need to improve performance is so I can use SVE :-)

17 minutes ago, Galileo said:

@Waz So if someone is still experiencing some lag from volumetric clouds all the need to do is lower the visible range from 10,000 to say 5,000 for example?

if thats the case, you have probably done the single best thing that has happened to EVE. People will absolutely love that!

Correct.

I still want to actually improve the performance of volumetric clouds when the are visible, but that's for another day.

5 minutes ago, Waz said:

Heck yes, you - the only reason I need to improve performance is so I can use SVE :-)

Correct.

I still want to actually improve the performance of volumetric clouds when the are visible, but that's for another day.

Im uploading right now. The performance is outstanding. i kept the visible range at the default and will include how to use it in my OP

i cant thank you enough man

Edited by Galileo

7 minutes ago, Waz said:

Correct.

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Im uploading right now. The performance is outstanding. i kept the visible range at the default and will include how to use it in my OP

Me thinks you are both legends - as you are channelling some kind of coding and texturing musicians riffing off the other.

Great collaborations!  Peace out.

3 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Me thinks you are both legends - as you are channelling some kind of coding and texturing musicians riffing off the other.

Great collaborations!  Peace out.

I like that analogy 

Hear that @Waz? We are musicians!    Ill be Sonny and you can be Cher. :D

Edited by Galileo

3 hours ago, Waz said:

EVE build 1.2-2, for KSP 1.2

See https://github.com/WazWaz/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases for latest release.

This patch fixes cloud shadow renderer order and improves performance of volumetric clouds when far away (eg. in orbit) via new config: layerVolume.visibleRange (default 10000).

So how did you fix the shadow issue?

7 minutes ago, blackrack said:

yeah he did

The only issue i have found is when you make a change in the EVE GUI, Nullrefs flood the debug tab and scatterer bugs out until you enter the tracking station and exit again. other than that everything looks good

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

Turns out it was a Unity bug. I eventually reproduced a workaround: disable then enable the Projector component (after setting the new Material). I've left in the 2500 renderqueue as that leaves room for scatterer atmosphere, etc. A day's bug hunting for 4 lines of code:

https://github.com/WazWaz/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/commit/8d5443794a14516faa7bfbed98511201a90489d2

Edited by Waz

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

I know that feeling all too well. Both in modding and in work.

But you also know the buzz and massive air-punch at the end, born from the process. Real life is a roguelike.

7 hours ago, Alshain said:

Waz, thank you for continuing this mod.  Just out of curiosity, do you plan on following Squad's recommendation and removing LINQ and foreach at some point in the future?

This would make about 0.01% difference at most. I've been using the Unity Profiler to examine how to best improve performance - I'll tackle those things in order, though it's currently looking like a giant leap can still be made with volume layers and a small step with 2D layers.

1 hour ago, Waz said:

This would make about 0.01% difference at most. I've been using the Unity Profiler to examine how to best improve performance - I'll tackle those things in order, though it's currently looking like a giant leap can still be made with volume layers and a small step with 2D layers.

I see.  Well I look forward to seeing what you come up with then.

@Waz Disabling layerVolume helped - managed to consistantly pull 60fps below the cloud layer, however as i went above it GPU usage stayed under 70% (CPU and RAM both roughly 50%) and frames dropped to 40-50fps. If there's any other info/logs that you need i'd be more than happy to help, or accept that this is normal! Thanks for your work :-)

2 hours ago, MKellerBR said:

@Waz 

as I try to install the CKAN, you are showing this error message:

2NLziYO.png

Can you tell me what can be?

If I direct download, works perfect!

Waz is not in charge of the ckan download.  You need to go ask this at the ckan thread instead

13 hours ago, MKellerBR said:

@Waz 

as I try to install the CKAN, you are showing this error message:

2NLziYO.png

Can you tell me what can be?

If I direct download, works perfect!

SVE-LowResolution isn't even part of EVE, nor AFAIK is it distributed for KSP 1.2 via CKAN.

I've tested the CKAN install of EVE and it's base configs (the only EVE config currently available via CKAN), and it works fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.