[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

17 hours ago, OhioBob said:

@Waz, does EVE shadows support multiple stars?  I'm working on a mod that places planets around the secondary star of a binary system.  I've set up a cfg that lists all the bodies and shadow casters, but all the shadows I'm seeing have the primary star as the light source.  Is there a way to designate the secondary star as the light source for the shadows?

EVE uses KSP's Sun.Instance variable, then either the Light component on that or the Sun.Instance.scaledSunLight private variable (hacks access via reflection).

There is no way currently to specify a different star, but really there should not need to be - whatever Kopernicus is doing EVE should be doing too. Unfortunately, I know very little about Kopernicus, so I think it would have to be a contrib patch from someone who does. Either that or wait until I get around to playing with multiple stars and so get a burning desire to fix it myself ;-).

48 minutes ago, Waz said:

EVE uses KSP's Sun.Instance variable, then either the Light component on that or the Sun.Instance.scaledSunLight private variable (hacks access via reflection).

There is no way currently to specify a different star, but really there should not need to be - whatever Kopernicus is doing EVE should be doing too. Unfortunately, I know very little about Kopernicus, so I think it would have to be a contrib patch from someone who does. Either that or wait until I get around to playing with multiple stars and so get a burning desire to fix it myself ;-).

Not only do I have the problem of the light source being the wrong star, but I'm also getting other weirdness that I can't explain.  For instance, shadows penetrate clean through a body and appear on both sides of the planet.  For instance, the shadows in following screenshot are both being produce by the same caster (a moon outside of the FOV to the right).  It's as if the shadow is tunneling all the way through the planet.

** Note that the planet is being illuminated by the nearby secondary star (behind us in this view), while the light source for the shadows is the far away primary star (to the right).  This is why both shadows appears on the sunlit face of the planet.  The shadow on the left is on the "dark side" of the planet in reference to the light source producing the shadows.

Spoiler

screenshot2.jpg

I also keep getting odd shadows that look like the following.  This shadow periodically appears for no apparent reason and sweeps across the planet.  I can find no source for it.

Spoiler

screenshot0.jpg

If you have any ideas on what could be causing these issues and how to fix them, I would sure appreciate some advice.

Edited by OhioBob

Can anyone identify this sun flare? 

screenshot3

I don't know what mods I had installed. I'm KNOW I had EVE installed. I never use scatterer, because of the lag. Maybe a stock flare?

@Galileo, your sunflares only work with scatterer, correct? 

Here's another image: 

Spoiler
screenshot0

The only reason I suspect scatterer is because of the haze. 

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

17 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Can anyone identify this sun flare? 

screenshot3

I don't know what mods I had installed. I'm KNOW I had EVE installed. I never use scatterer, because of the lag. Maybe a stock flare?

@Galileo, your sunflares only work with scatterer, correct? 

Here's another image: 

Hide contents

screenshot0

The only reason I suspect scatterer is because of the haze. 

Yeah mine only work with scatterer. The one in your screenshot looks like the default scatterer flare

Hello.
I need you guys' advice on this.
I suspect EVE caused my PC to randomly shutdown while playing KSP 1.3

My desktop PC had no problems with KSP 1.2.2 and the previous version of EVE,  it can handle other high demanding games.
I updated it to the latest GPU driver and Win 10 version, cleaned my PC but that didn't help.
There was no sign of CPU/GPU overheated before it randomly shutdown.
It also doesn't matter which config (BoulderCo,SVE,Astronomer,etc...) has been installed, it still happened unless EVE is removed.   

I'm really in a bind for weeks, it would be nice if at least I get some clues about what's going on here.

My PC specs
Windows 10 Professional (x64)
Intel Core i7-4790K
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
16GB RAM

650W PSU

Here's the output_log of my default playthrough which had just crashed 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9E2jSlYcW7pY2liTGdRVUxibzA 

The output_log of the test run with EVE and SVE config (also crashed)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9E2jSlYcW7pTFlUUGNYbFVDNVE

2 hours ago, GuidedCursor said:

Hello.

My desktop PC had no problems with KSP 1.2.2 and the previous version of EVE,  it can handle other high demanding games.
I updated it to the latest GPU driver and Win 10 version, cleaned my PC but that didn't help.
It also doesn't matter which config (BoulderCo,SVE,Astronomer,etc...) has been installed, it still happened unless EVE is removed.   

I'm really in a bind for weeks, it would be nice if at least I get some clues about what's going on here.

My PC specs
Intel Core i7-4790K
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
16GB RAM

650W PSU

Technically, an operating system shutdown cannot be caused by a user-space program like KSP. Shutdowns are almost always caused by either:

1. Faulty drivers, especially videocard drivers
  2. Operating system bugs, often as a result of running low on RAM
  3. Hardware faults, especially RAM

32 minutes ago, Waz said:

Technically, an operating system shutdown cannot be caused by a user-space program like KSP. Shutdowns are almost always caused by either:

1. Faulty drivers, especially videocard drivers
  2. Operating system bugs, often as a result of running low on RAM
  3. Hardware faults, especially RAM

That's what I thought, but I was kinda sure that my hardware didn't cause the problem.
Also, rollback GPU driver to several previous versions didn't help.

Well, Thanks for the advice. At least now I know it wasn't KSP. 

4 hours ago, GuidedCursor said:

Hello.

My PC specs
Intel Core i7-4790K
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
16GB RAM

650W PSU

Was there a BSOD? Most probably caused by latest nvidia driver. I have been getting a lot of them since updating.

37 minutes ago, GuidedCursor said:

There was no BSOD at all.

It just suddenly shutdown and rebooted itself.

That also happens but most commonly I get BSODs along with it. I see that you rolled back the drivers. Did you do clean installs using something like Display Driver Uninstaller or just stock uninstall and reinstall?

5 hours ago, Assassinsat said:

That also happens but most commonly I get BSODs along with it. I see that you rolled back the drivers. Did you do clean installs using something like Display Driver Uninstaller or just stock uninstall and reinstall?

I just uninstalled it by Device Manager.   

*I did try the DDU and clean-installed the last year version, still the same.

Edited by GuidedCursor

KSP doesn't stress the video card much at all... it puts a high demand on CPU and ram.

I am willing to bet it's either a heat issue or a ram issue. Get a program to monitor and log cpu temps, and after you have the game loaded, check to see how much ram you are using.

My heavily modded game will consume 16.8 out of my 32gb ram!! 

I have a 7700K water cooled running 20% stable overclock, and sometimes when running KSP, I can hear a slight rpm increase in my water pump!

Edited by TheKurgan

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, JaffaFediration said:

So s this going to be updated to 1.3.1 or nah? Thing is the KSP site doesn't seem to offer a 1.3 download anymore which leaves me rather stumped.

Nah, bruh...KSP just updated yesterday. Give the modders, who do this on their own free time, enough time to update. The link for the 1.3 version is in the OP. Read it a bit slower. There isn’t a big “download” button.

Edited by Galileo

6 hours ago, JaffaFediration said:

So s this going to be updated to 1.3.1 or nah? Thing is the KSP site doesn't seem to offer a 1.3 download anymore which leaves me rather stumped.

I haven't even downloaded KSP 1.3.1, let alone had time to play it, let alone have time to do whatever might be needed to make EVE work. Have you tried just installing it and seeing if it works?

On 10/7/2017 at 12:16 AM, Waz said:

I haven't even downloaded KSP 1.3.1, let alone had time to play it, let alone have time to do whatever might be needed to make EVE work. Have you tried just installing it and seeing if it works?

You might want to update the forum post to say it's compatible with 1.3.1. 

Hi @Waz are the auroras a fixed element? I was wondering if there is an extendibility in the mod to allow other mods to modify some settings from EVE while the game is running (not via the Tracking centre menus).

Specifically, are the auroras stuck at the poles or can they be "stretched" down to lower latitudes? (eg during a solar storm)

Edited by wile1411

3 minutes ago, wile1411 said:

Hi @Waz are the auroras a fixed element? I was wondering if there is an extendibility in the mod to allow other mods to modify some settings from EVE while the game is running (not via the Tracking centre menus).

Specifically, are the auroras stuck at the poles or can they be "stretched" down to lower latitudes? (eg during a solar storm)

I don’t think the position or texture can be changed on the fly, if that’s what you are asking.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.