[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

1 minute ago, barleyman said:

Yes, well, CKAN  put them into the gamedata folder but EVE will find the cfg files automagically in the SVE folder? 

Incidentally, EVE cloudmanager generates errors in the logfile. I'm not sure if that means anything but you can see them in the end of the file. 

[LOG 18:04:43.758] [EVE CloudsManager]: CloudsPQS: (EVE Clouds: Laythe-Atmo) OnSphereInactive
[LOG 18:04:43.758] [EVE CloudsManager]: Clouds2D is now SCALED
[ERR 18:04:43.759] Exception handling event onGameSceneLoadRequested in class CloudsPQS:System.NullReferenceException: 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Object:get_name ()
  at Atmosphere.CloudsPQS.OnSphereInactive () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Atmosphere.CloudsPQS.SceneLoaded (GameScenes scene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[EXC 18:04:43.760] NullReferenceException
	Atmosphere.CloudsPQS.OnSphereInactive ()
	Atmosphere.CloudsPQS.SceneLoaded (GameScenes scene)
	EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data)
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	EventData`1:Fire(GameScenes)
	HighLogic:SetLoadSceneEventsAndFlags(GameScenes, Boolean)
	HighLogic:LoadScene(GameScenes)
	KSCPauseMenu:<draw>m__9()
	DialogGUIButton:OptionSelected()
	DialogGUIButton:<Create>m__6()
	UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()
[LOG 18:04:43.760] [EVE CloudsManager]: CloudsPQS: (EVE Clouds: Duna-Atmo) OnSphereInactive

Yes, SVE is designed to work with EVE and EVE finds its cfgs just fine.

as for your errors, I dunno. I haven't noticed anything wrong with my game to warrant checking for errors, so i haven't seen them.

@blackrack https://imgur.com/a/Tnhdd

I did some performance testing for your EVE modification, details in the imgur album. Did it with AVP 8k textures, is there a pack or pack config that spams the volumetrics for testing? Thinking old Tekto style solid sky/wall of volumetrics

---edit @blackrack

Not updated, but the clouds work fine. Seems to be waiting for Texture replacer to update for its skybox.

Edited by TheUnamusedFox
For Blackrack

1 hour ago, TheUnamusedFox said:

@blackrack https://imgur.com/a/Tnhdd

I did some performance testing for your EVE modification, details in the imgur album. Did it with AVP 8k textures, is there a pack or pack config that spams the volumetrics for testing? Thinking old Tekto style solid sky/wall of volumetrics

None that I'm aware of, I manually went into the clouds .cfg and duplicated the main layer multiple times at different, but close altitudes. I'd recommend to just do that for stress-testing.

At the same time you're already getting 18fps somehow. I'm guessing something else is eating up your CPU time.

This the EVE pack? I will try it and report back.

Edited: Hmm, I tested with AVP and couldn't replicate what I saw above either.

@TheUnamusedFox here is my "stress test" config: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fa5zmq2vnvvfo33/clouds.cfg?dl=0 It's for the default EVE configuration (boulderCO, link in the OP), can you try it and see what you find?

Edited by blackrack

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

None that I'm aware of, I manually went into the clouds .cfg and duplicated the main layer multiple times at different, but close altitudes. I'd recommend to just do that for stress-testing.

At the same time you're already getting 18fps somehow. I'm guessing something else is eating up your CPU time.

This the EVE pack? I will try it and report back.

Edited: Hmm, I tested with AVP and couldn't replicate what I saw above either.

@TheUnamusedFox here is my "stress test" config: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fa5zmq2vnvvfo33/clouds.cfg?dl=0 It's for the default EVE configuration (boulderCO, link in the OP), can you try it and see what you find?

Stock EVE has always seemed to perform poorly for it's apparent lightness, often SVE will give better results even though it probably has more effects, it may be related to cloud layers.

@blackrack

Hello !

I tested your EVEFastVolumetric with scatterer.

First, I was surpised when I turn KSPx64 from DX9 to DX11 (in KSP 1.3.1 no difference). But now in 1.4.1, on KSC I get some improvement with it (+17fps) and no trouble found for this time.

Next, with KerbalX on launch pad. A litle impeovement with EVEFastVolumetric but not stable.

See album.

My spec:

• Intel i5 2500k at 4.4GHz
  • GTX 1060 6Gb
  • RAM: 8Gb DDR3

Thank you to think about performance improvement to visual mods, it will give us more room to our big spaceships. Even if right now it's not too big, keep on like this.

Edited by Vandest

17 minutes ago, Vandest said:

@blackrack

Hello !

I tested your EVEFastVolumetric with scatterer.

First, I was surpised when I turn KSPx64 from DX9 to DX11 (in KSP 1.3.1 no difference). But now in 1.4.1, on KSC I get some improvement with it (+17fps) and no trouble found for this time.

Next, with KerbalX on launch pad. A litle impeovement with EVEFastVolumetric but not stable.

See album.

My spec:

• Intel i5 2500k at 4.4GHz
  • GTX 1060 6Gb
  • RAM: 8Gb DDR3

Thank you to think about performance improvement to visual mods, it will give us more room to our big spaceships. Even if right now it's not too big, keep on like this.

Off-topic: What utility are you using for that GPU overlay?

1 hour ago, Vandest said:

when I turn KSPx64 from DX9 to DX11 (in KSP 1.3.1 no difference). But now in 1.4.1, on KSC I get some improvement with it (+17fps) and no trouble found for this time.

Is KSP by default dx9/10/11?

6 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Stock EVE has always seemed to perform poorly for it's apparent lightness, often SVE will give better results even though it probably has more effects, it may be related to cloud layers.

The BoulderCo ("Stock EVE") configs use 3x more particles for volumetric clouds on Kerbin (one extra level of subdivision). SVE's config is better tuned.

1 hour ago, Waz said:

The BoulderCo ("Stock EVE") configs use 3x more particles for volumetric clouds on Kerbin (one extra level of subdivision). SVE's config is better tuned.

@Waz, thanks for the confirmation, looking at my comment, it could be taken as bashing, EVE, which it isn't, I was just thinking out loud why there might not be such a difference between his versions, when using the SVE configs.

Any code that allows for offloading calculations to the GPU is great in my book. It's just a matter of implementation ("Do you have CPU or GPU resources to spare?").
I don't know how much work it is to add it as an option, but a checkbox like "Offload X to GPU [experimental] [dx11]" might do the trick.

The ability to offload such calculations to possibly much more powerful GPUs will also allow creators to push the envelope in visual effects more. A beautiful thing that is.

Edit: Knowing KSP though, it's *probably* going to be GPU resources that people are going to have to spare :p. (6ghz liquid nitrogen Intel overclocks running with integrated graphics aside of course)

Edited by Jognt

I'm having issues getting this set up.  I have Scatterer, EVE (didnt install its stock config) and SVE+SVE High Res textures.  My issues is that my clouds look nothing like the ones I see online, they don't move, Duna has no sand storms, Jool is boring etc.  I installed the modes via CKAN.  Am I missing a setting or something?

12 hours ago, KSPNoob said:

I'm having issues getting this set up.  I have Scatterer, EVE (didnt install its stock config) and SVE+SVE High Res textures.  My issues is that my clouds look nothing like the ones I see online, they don't move, Duna has no sand storms, Jool is boring etc.  I installed the modes via CKAN.  Am I missing a setting or something?

Module Manager?

15 hours ago, KSPNoob said:

If you are looking for the gas fume effect, then that’s not SVE. That’s the default EVE configs. 

2 minutes ago, m4ti140 said:

This is not EVE, the atmospheric effects are broken in 1.4.1

That post you quoted is from 2016 and has nothing to do with 1.4.1.....unless they got a super duper early test version..
That particular issue is due to struts btw...

Edited by Galileo

On 3/18/2018 at 12:55 PM, blackrack said:

Yes, I'm well aware of this, however the performance gains above, as well as many other cool things we can do, are only enabled by using shader model 4.0 or 5.0

You can try to run OpenGL and see if it works but that has its own issues as well.

DX11 messes up part icons in the editor as of 1.4.1, and for KSP this is basically game-breaking. I don't think it's a good idea to introduce features that require DX11 API into mods without fallback functionality for DX9 users, at least until Squad introduces proper DX11 support (which might never happen).

9 minutes ago, Galileo said:

That post you quoted is from 2016 and has nothing to do with 1.4.1.....unless they got a super duper early test version..
That particular issue is due to struts btw...

Oh f:D:D:D, for some reason I thought that was the last page... and it made sense, cause the atmospheric effects are indeed broken in 1.4

Edited by m4ti140

On 19/03/2018 at 4:23 AM, Waz said:

I see, for how many more volumetrics there are in stock EVE config, we barely notice a difference anyway. Thanks for the pointer.

On 3/20/2018 at 5:08 PM, m4ti140 said:

DX11 messes up part icons in the editor as of 1.4.1, and for KSP this is basically game-breaking. I don't think it's a good idea to introduce features that require DX11 API into mods without fallback functionality for DX9 users, at least until Squad introduces proper DX11 support (which might never happen).

Oh f:D:D:D, for some reason I thought that was the last page... and it made sense, cause the atmospheric effects are indeed broken in 1.4

-force-glcore is what should be used. It is more stable than dx9 and opengl, higher performance than dx9 and opengl, supports new shader models, works on all 3 platforms, and does not have the bugs associated with dx11 and dx12.

1 hour ago, Electrocutor said:

-force-glcore is what should be used. It is more stable than dx9 and opengl, higher performance than dx9 and opengl, supports new shader models, works on all 3 platforms, and does not have the bugs associated with dx11 and dx12.

Do you have a source for this? Some documentation?

20 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Do you have a source for this? Some documentation?

Only personal testing, sorry. Officially from Private Division, Windows platform only supports dx9 and Mac/Linux only supports OpenGL; that said, GLCore works better than both of those on all 3 platforms from everything I have tested, whether it be performance, bugs, or frequency of exceptions/crashes.

[Addendum]
dx12 has a number of oddities, such as anti-aliasing refresh issue
dx11 to-date I have only found a problem with the KSP shaders. This currently includes the editor part shader (fixed via mod using TU shader) and whatever is being used to render the cubemap for the combination of local and scaled space.

[Unrelated Bugs]
- The atmo re-entry effect and atmo supersonic effect particle shaders seem to be set to the wrong render queue or have occlusion disabled, thus being rendered without occlusion from parts.

Edited by Electrocutor

@Electrocutor do you have a clue what is the reason for slightly transparent parts?
Like when I'm in flight mode, camera very close and hover the cursor over the part, it says "Hatch" as tooltip, but it's on the other side of the vessel.
Then I look more precisely and rotate the camera a little bit and what do I see?
A glimpse of the engine, like the whole vessel is 5% transparent ...
And no, there is no JSI Transparent Pods or TRR or similar installed ...

Edit:

5 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

and does not have the bugs associated with dx11 and dx12.

Hmm. Using -force-glcore I also see the fist row of parts with half-cut icons in VAB (using Filter Extension). Not that bad, as long it's the only issue.

Edit:

Well, some particles like the Kerbalism radiation belt overlay are purple.
Switching back to non-parameter for now.

Edited by Gordon Dry

4 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@Electrocutor do you have a clue what is the reason for slightly transparent parts?
Like when I'm in flight mode, camera very close and hover the cursor over the part, it says "Hatch" as tooltip, but it's on the other side of the vessel.
Then I look more precisely and rotate the camera a little bit and what do I see?
A glimpse of the engine, like the whole vessel is 5% transparent ...
And no, there is no JSI Transparent Pods or TRR or similar installed ...

I'm almost certain you get that "Crew Hatch" tooltip message from the wrong side of the pod even in stock KSP.

I was having what sounds like an identical issue. In my case, I narrowed it down to JSI Advanced Transparent Pods, but you say you don't have that installed? (It's in a nested folder, in case you weren't aware, under "JSI".)