[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

2 hours ago, KSPNoob said:

Im not sure if this is the right thread or should be in SVE or Scatterer, but I have an issue that the thermal effect around my ships is way excessive.  Here's what I mean.  How do I turn it down?

WdbPJkA.jpg

The thermal effects in KSP are really glitchy right now. As far as I know, there’s no way to reduce them.

6 hours ago, KSPNoob said:

Im not sure if this is the right thread or should be in SVE or Scatterer, but I have an issue that the thermal effect around my ships is way excessive.  Here's what I mean.  How do I turn it down?

WdbPJkA.jpg

Stock problem in 1.4.X. 

22 hours ago, ShadowZone said:

Interesting detail:

On an "old" 1.4.0 savegame the clouds look blocky.

On a completely fresh savegame I just started in 1.4.2, the clouds look perfect. Is there any data related to EVE saved within the persistence.sfs file?

Oh and I would also like to thank Waz for continuing this mod! I can't imagine playing KSP without it anymore.

Hi everyone,

Nicely spotted ! I confirm the same behaviour. My old save created on 1.2.2 then migrated through 1.3.1 and now 1.4.2 shows blocky and flat clouds (no volumetric effects) in KSC view and in-game view. The clouds do look fine in the main menu or in the tracking station/map view. On a fresh save everything looks alright.

Here's how it looks like :

Spoiler

screenshot2.png

Thank you Waz and all of you that work hard on making KSP look and play so much nicer !

Edited by Benja
added screenshot

12 hours ago, Benja said:

Hi everyone,

Nicely spotted ! I confirm the same behaviour. My old save created on 1.2.2 then migrated through 1.3.1 and now 1.4.2 shows blocky and flat clouds (no volumetric effects) in KSC view and in-game view. The clouds do look fine in the main menu or in the tracking station/map view. On a fresh save everything looks alright.

Here's how it looks like :

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot2.png

Thank you Waz and all of you that work hard on making KSP look and play so much nicer !

Hmm.... maybe this is related to the Universal Time change. How far forward in time is your game when it fails? If you start a new game and don't see it, then forward a few decades, does it then happen?

22 hours ago, Benja said:

Hi everyone,

I tried to post last night but the forum was borked and wouldn’t let me. Anyway I noticed the same effect but it seemed limited to the SVE auroras - all flat and grid-like in the save I moved over from a very early-Career 1.3.1 game I had started months ago but never progressed with much. 

However, in a brand new 1.4.1/1.4.2 Sandbox save, the auroras look great and voluminous as expected. 

13 hours ago, Waz said:

Hmm.... maybe this is related to the Universal Time change. How far forward in time is your game when it fails? If you start a new game and don't see it, then forward a few decades, does it then happen?

It looks like you're on to something. My save is at year 14 day 239. I started a new save on 1.4.2 and went to warp to that date. I've stopped the timewarp at year 4 day 13 and the blockiness was already there although strangely the blocks were smaller and a bit less obvious. I didn't look for the exact time at which it happened.

I didn't try removing other mods yet, I'll let you know if I find the time to try.

15 hours ago, Waz said:

The faulty savegame is in Year 9, the working one is only a few minutes old. Haven't tried timewarping yet.

Ah, here we go. This is what I was referring to last night.

This first image is from a polar flight I made last night in the Sandbox save I created when 1.4 was released. This is - presumably - how auroras are supposed to look (EVE + SVE + Scatterer).

Xt721SR.png

Now this image is from the very same KSP installation and mod versions but using a Science Career save I had started in 1.3.1. I never got past the first three or so tiers of the Tech Tree before I got distracted by other interests for a few months. I loaded it up when 1.4 was released and have since finished the Tech Tree. The in-game elapsed time is about 4.5 years.

t7NyYe7.png

Again, the same version of KSP, the same set of mods installed, but VASTLY different aurora textures. 

Any ideas what's going on? 

Edited by LameLefty

I've posted a new release, which should fix the clouds becoming "blocky" after a few years. It also changes how rim fading works slightly to fix some cases where they would disappear from below.

@Waz I don't know if this is because of your latest fix; or SVE has to also change something; or the fact that I also use latest OPM and ExtraSolar; or just a Kopernicus issue:

(I don't use scatterer btw)
Now Kerbin got no more clouds, but kinda blueish haze:

Main menu
1EkSstQ.png

Tracking station
4pKuZ3h.png

Flight mode
H9gUhEE.png

other view
gTYpe1C.png

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jcsbmvwd9oyysjj/2018-04-13_1 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

13 hours ago, Waz said:

I've posted a new release, which should fix the clouds becoming "blocky" after a few years. It also changes how rim fading works slightly to fix some cases where they would disappear from below.

The patch fixed it for me... Thanks Waz !

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

@Waz I don't know if this is because of your latest fix; or SVE has to also change something; or the fact that I also use latest OPM and ExtraSolar; or just a Kopernicus issue:

Main menu
1EkSstQ.png

Tracking station
4pKuZ3h.png

Flight mode
H9gUhEE.png

other view
gTYpe1C.png

Log:

Absolutely nothing has to change in SVE. That blueish haze is a cloud layer. 

5 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

The latest EVE from yesterday + SVE (+ Scatterer) is working just fine for me. You should probably delete the SVE and EVE folders from your GameData folder and reinstall. 

15 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

You should probably delete the SVE and EVE folders from your GameData folder and reinstall. 

Files are 100% equal to downloads EVE 1.4.2.2 and SVE 1.3.0.4 and OPM 2.2.0.0 and ExtraSolar 1.7.1 (+ SVE patch).
Kopernicus is 1.4.2.1

The last session had some exceptions from SensiblePumps in it, @linuxgurugamer, dunno if that could have anything to do with it.

My last two logs (first is the same as posted above):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/miult4rxhqjhby7/2018-04-13_2 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

Edit:

Wait, just loaded a new game and reaching main menu threw something to the log I either didn't see before or it was not so obvious before:

Edited by Gordon Dry

16 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Files are 100% equal to downloads EVE 1.4.2.2 and SVE 1.3.0.4 and OPM 2.2.0.0 and ExtraSolar 1.7.1 (+ SVE patch).
Kopernicus is 1.4.2.1

You need to prune out everything but EVE + SVE + Kopernicus and see if you see clouds and such in the loading screens. If you don't, you've got something fubar.

1 hour ago, 1990eam said:

Do I need to download the configs if I'm using Astronomer's Visual Pack instead of SVE? I'm trying out different mods and I don't think AVP provides EVE configs.

AVP is the config. So is SVE. All you need to download is EVE (the plugin only), AVP and its textures.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.