[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

Just now, Galileo said:

I don’t think the position or texture can be changed on the fly, if that’s what you are asking.

yeah it was. I wanted to see if it was possible to change how far from the poles the aurora appears. Sounds like with it being a texture it's not possible to change it's coverage range.

22 minutes ago, wile1411 said:

Hi @Waz are the auroras a fixed element? I was wondering if there is an extendibility in the mod to allow other mods to modify some settings from EVE while the game is running (not via the Tracking centre menus).

Specifically, are the auroras stuck at the poles or can they be "stretched" down to lower latitudes? (eg during a solar storm)

Good question. I don't know enough about KSP modding to know how inter-mod API calls can work. If you can find out how to call into EVE code, I can help you work out what it is you need to call for a specific task.

3 minutes ago, wile1411 said:

yeah it was. I wanted to see if it was possible to change how far from the poles the aurora appears. Sounds like with it being a texture it's not possible to change it's coverage range.

Maybe you could with the right kind of noise, you could make something happen. Triggering it during a specific event though, I don’t know if that is feasible. Perhaps it is though, I don’t know squat about implementing something like that :) 

If you could scale the cube face independently on a side then you could theoretically increase or decrease an aurora. For my packs I implement the aurora on one cube face and utilise it on the Y+ and Y- faces. Waz, would it be at all possible to use a scalar function to increase or decrease the UV mesh for one of the faces?

9 hours ago, Poodmund said:

If you could scale the cube face independently on a side then you could theoretically increase or decrease an aurora. For my packs I implement the aurora on one cube face and utilise it on the Y+ and Y- faces. Waz, would it be at all possible to use a scalar function to increase or decrease the UV mesh for one of the faces?

Such that it wasn't a sphere but rather 6 domes? Sure. That would also improve performance as the auroras wouldn't be drawn all over the planet. For a UVsphere it would also be useful to have ones that just cover the poles (or wherever they are rotated to) - good for auroras or for localized storms.

If someone wants to test this wort of thing, I'm more than happy to do builds that implement various possibilities.

Currently I have been using this:

OBJECT
{
	name = PoodsOPMVO/Textures/aurora
	type = TEX_CUBE_6
	texXn = PoodsOPMVO/Textures/auroraBlank
	texXp = PoodsOPMVO/Textures/auroraBlank
	texYn = PoodsOPMVO/Textures/auroraCube
	texYp = PoodsOPMVO/Textures/auroraCube
	texZn = PoodsOPMVO/Textures/auroraBlank
	texZp = PoodsOPMVO/Textures/auroraBlank
}

Where the auroraCube is a 1024px DXT5 texture and the auroraBlank is a 4px DXT5 texture that is completely blank. I did a similar thing with a storm (link in signature). I'd be happy to test anything you implement or are playing around with, its all good fun and games.

Okay, try out this package. It adds an "arc" variable to the clouds. If you set it to anything other than 360, a different codepath will be used and only the given number of degrees will be meshed. Normally, the clouds are rendered on a subdivided half-isosphere that faces the camera. With this code, it's rendered on a UVsphere, and that mesh is rotated along with the texture. I feel we'll need another set of parameters to rotate the mesh around and the texture around with it, to allow a storm say to wander around the surface while itself spinning on its axis - I don't really know, I'm no content artist :-)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah0aNuGsTYhahH6FE9n8971ygI3Z

Hey o,

Having an issue I can't seem to solve.

The atmo is blank, just white. I'll include screen shots. Using 1.3.1, which I know this is not officially updated for. But People seem to have it work just fine. I'm wondering if I am missing something.

I am using the Boulder Co configs.

https://ibb.co/b9mbFm

https://ibb.co/jxRyT6

Any help would be appreciated 

EDIT: Turns out it happens even after removing the mod. Super weird. 

Edited by Jdav232
Update

1 hour ago, Cyrus Playz said:

Help meh Eve doesn't work.(how to paste image here?)

Upload your image to an image sharing website (Imgur is popular but pretty much anywhere will work) and then paste the URL of the uploaded image into the forum.

With the recent announcement of SQUAD working on upgrading the project to Unity 2017.1 for KSP 1.4, this potentially has some benefits/applications that EVE could take advantage of:

• Particles: Apply Noise Module data to particles sizes and rotations, and also send the noise data to your shaders via new Custom Vertex Streams.

description

description

9 hours ago, Poodmund said:

With the recent announcement of SQUAD working on upgrading the project to Unity 2017.1 for KSP 1.4, this potentially has some benefits/applications that EVE could take advantage of:

Unfortunately, EVE doesn't even use Unity particles to draw the clouds (another reason they are slow). I'm thinking the only reasonable path forward on that would be to deprecate the old system and add an all-new system. I'm not sure I have the guts to attempt that though.

8 hours ago, Waz said:

Unfortunately, EVE doesn't even use Unity particles to draw the clouds (another reason they are slow). I'm thinking the only reasonable path forward on that would be to deprecate the old system and add an all-new system. I'm not sure I have the guts to attempt that though.

You might just be the hero we need.

10 hours ago, Waz said:

yea but it sounds like you have the brains

On 10/21/2017 at 8:06 AM, Poodmund said:

Is there anything currently in-game that's even close to this? The lighting / hair effect of Reentry is the only thing I can think of. 

22 hours ago, wile1411 said:

Is there anything currently in-game that's even close to this? The lighting / hair effect of Reentry is the only thing I can think of. 

The reentry effects are actually fur shaders being overlaid onto each other. HarvesteR did a talk on this effect quite a few years back: https://youtu.be/mXTxQko-JH0?t=24m31s.

Edited by Poodmund

2 hours ago, Poodmund said:

The reentry effects are actually fur shaders being overlaid onto each other. HarvesteR did a talk on this effect quite a few years back: https://youtu.be/mXTxQko-JH0?t=24m31s.

Fur / hair - my memory was close, but yours is obviously better as I didn't even remember it was a video. :) 

Is there any screen static/snow effect that's available at the moment?

Edited by wile1411

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.