[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

Is there any way to increase the volumetric rendering limit from 10,000m to something even more, such as 100,000m? The reason that I ask this is that I'm currently working on some clouds, but I hate the transition from flat clouds to volumetric. I tried changing it in the volumetric settings in my configs, but they still only render within 10,000m. I do have a computer capable of doing this; I was able to run the 43K clouds from KETO, so volumetric clouds rendering from a further distance should be fine for me.

2 hours ago, Messier said:

Is there any way to increase the volumetric rendering limit from 10,000m to something even more, such as 100,000m? The reason that I ask this is that I'm currently working on some clouds, but I hate the transition from flat clouds to volumetric. I tried changing it in the volumetric settings in my configs, but they still only render within 10,000m. I do have a computer capable of doing this; I was able to run the 43K clouds from KETO, so volumetric clouds rendering from a further distance should be fine for me.

The 43k clouds aren’t really 43k. They are 6 smaller cube map textures that make up a 43k image, that’s why anyone is able to run them. If it was a full 43k image (which unity can’t use, it can only use up to 16k images) nobody would be running it smoothly.

And you should be able to change the VisibleRange value and get your volume clouds to render at 100km.

Edited by Galileo

On 5/1/2018 at 4:28 AM, Dankgum said:

I'm not Phineas Freak but I believe the reason why your gas giants don't have clouds is because they do not have any PQS. I'm not sure why, but once you add a PQS configuration to Jool, the clouds will work.

Bingo! That did the trick. You sir, are a steely eyed mod man (or woman... or gender neutral...)

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

And you should be able to change the VisibleRange value and get your volume clouds to render at 100km.

would that be defined within the LayerVolume node? I might add it to my config and see how it goes...

4 hours ago, Galileo said:

The 43k clouds aren’t really 43k. They are 6 smaller cube map textures that make up a 43k image, that’s why anyone is able to run them. If it was a full 43k image (which unity can’t use, it can only use up to 16k images) nobody would be running it smoothly.

Oh alright, thanks. Makes sense. Anyways, as I said before, I changed the VisibleRange to 100km and even 1000km. However, it still only renders within 10km. This is making me think that it's something built into the EVE plugin. I have managed to make the transition a lot more smoother though, which I like. So thanks, anyways!

5 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

would that be defined within the LayerVolume node? I might add it to my config and see how it goes...

Yeah, I believe so. It’s been a while since I paid attention to it, so I may be wrong

13 hours ago, Messier said:

Oh alright, thanks. Makes sense. Anyways, as I said before, I changed the VisibleRange to 100km and even 1000km. However, it still only renders within 10km. This is making me think that it's something built into the EVE plugin. I have managed to make the transition a lot more smoother though, which I like. So thanks, anyways!

I tried it too and noticed my volumetrics layer seemed thinner. I think you also need to play with the area property, as expanding the visible range effectively increases the area in which the particles are rendered. I haven't sunk any time into it yet myself, just conjecture

4 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

I tried it too and noticed my volumetrics layer seemed thinner. I think you also need to play with the area property, as expanding the visible range effectively increases the area in which the particles are rendered. I haven't sunk any time into it yet myself, just conjecture

I think you too are talking about 2 different things. You are talking about how far out, or the area the volume layers cover at once, he is talking about how far up before the volumetric clouds are no longer rendered. By default, as soon as you get 10km above a volume layer they just pop out of sight. It’s not a gradual thing. I assume he was just trying to avoid the popping in and out, unless he is confused about what the parameter does.

Edited by Galileo

22 hours ago, Messier said:

_DistFadeVert also controls fade out if you're getting "popping" then it is too high. The vertical limit is an optimization applied in addition to the other fading mechanisms.

Having volume clouds visible from 100km is totally impossible, performance wise - the area would have to be massive - 100 times the size of the default. No, you do not have a computer capable of this.

36 minutes ago, Hangdog said:

fluffy clouds gone and no auroras, what is missing?

I have EVE, SVE, SVT, Kopernicus.  No BoulderCo.

1.4.3 and current versions of mods.

You probably forgot to download SVE_Textures.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2017 at 8:54 AM, RW-1 said:

I'm stupid as well, until I get the hang of this.

EVE and SVE installed, my city lights seem layered, and I have a screenshot attached.

Double city lights png

I know it must be a duplicate of configs somewhere, and I have tried removing various files/folders to obtain better results, all have failed me.

Any assistance would be welcome, I'm on 1.3.1 and can supply more info if requested.

@ RW-1  Did you ever find the fix for this?   

Or anyone else for that matter...   I'm having the same issue, where my city lights show a duplicate layer.   Makes the city lights look blurry and fuzzy.  Im sure its not helping the processor any either.  Thanks!!

8 hours ago, DaveLChgo said:

@ RW-1  Did you ever find the fix for this?   

Or anyone else for that matter...   I'm having the same issue, where my city lights show a duplicate layer.   Makes the city lights look blurry and fuzzy.  Im sure its not helping the processor any either.  Thanks!!

It's a bug in EVE. I've not been able to work out a procedure that always makes it happen though, so I've put off trying to work out what's going wrong. It seems that one copy is slightly offset from the other, which could mean it is on a slightly larger sphere, or it could be on a slightly offset sphere (in which case on two sides of the planet it would be more extreme than on the ring between those two sides).

Any specific info you discover would be useful.

Rats, was hoping it was something simple.  Never coded in unity or whatever the mods are made of. So other than a good screenshot showing it thats the best I could do at the moment.  It looks double / fuzzy when not using cam too.  Just used it to zoom in for a sample.

wMHGzHt.png

Edited by DaveLChgo

40 minutes ago, DaveLChgo said:

Rats, was hoping it was something simple.  Never coded in unity or whatever the mods are made of.

No need for that.

I've rarely seen the problem, so what I'm needing is more information about when it happens - does it *always* happen for you, or only sometimes - if the latter, is it when you've done certain things, etc.? And when it does happen, is it over the whole planet, or only part? If part, which part, relative to the orbit of the planet? Just the prograde and retrograde sides (sunrise and sunset sides)?

On 5/27/2018 at 12:04 AM, Waz said:

No need for that.

I've rarely seen the problem, so what I'm needing is more information about when it happens - does it *always* happen for you, or only sometimes - if the latter, is it when you've done certain things, etc.? And when it does happen, is it over the whole planet, or only part? If part, which part, relative to the orbit of the planet? Just the prograde and retrograde sides (sunrise and sunset sides)?

Hi Waz, (and Dave),

No, I had not found a fix, as Waz indicated it is EVE, I just lived with it for now.

Waz, nothing "done" per say to get it to occur, to answer your question and help as best I can, I'd say it is most noticeable at Sunrise and Sunset looking just past the terminator towards the ground on the "night side" at that point.

It's always been there for me, at least since when I posted originally.

• 3 weeks later...

@Waz Do you know what the reason for this is?

On the next page of that thread @Zorg said:

@Gordon Dry I had the same cloud issue in 1.4.2 although fairly rarely usually when returning from a moon at high time warp to Kerbin. This was with both scaterrer and EVE/SVE installed but before I installed Extra Solar. Havent had it happen recently on 1.4.3 with the latest versions of EVE and Scatterer installed (with Extra Solar) but it may still be lurking. I suspect EVE issue?

This also happens when I load a vessel in Kerbin orbit - and mostly after time warp.

It could happen when I just sit there and stare to the screen for "a while" without time warping.

But I guess time warp is the culprit.

Edit:

It actually looks like the cloud layer is moving perfectly aligned to the skybox ...

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 2 weeks later...

@Waz, @Galileo,

I've got what's probably an overly ambitious merger of GPP (with GPP_Secondary), GEP, OPM and Spectra to create a highly textured triple-star system and I'm almost certain redundant EVE configs are stepping on each other and stacking layers of cloud and haze (no Scatterer installed).  In the EVE editor CloudManager, I can manually uncheck the 2D layers for each config subcomponent (?), but even after saving, a new set of duplicate configs (fully activated) with the same names appear in the manager list when I reload the game.  I've tried deleting cloud config files from both Spectra and GPP and they still seem to be cached somewhere.

Short of deleting the whole KSP directory and re-installing everything without cloud configs, and adding pruned config files one by one, is there a way of manually forcing an EVE config cache dump and rebuild?  I'm at a loss as to where all these settings are getting saved.   Note, I've even tried deleting the EVE folder, letting KSP run without it, then re-installing EVE, and the duplicating configs come back.  I think this is similar to what @RW-1 was commenting on a month or so ago.

Edited by KSPrynk

3 hours ago, KSPrynk said:

@Waz, @Galileo,

I've got what's probably an overly ambitious merger of GPP (with GPP_Secondary), GEP, OPM and Spectra to create a highly textured triple-star system and I'm almost certain redundant EVE configs are stepping on each other and stacking layers of cloud and haze (no Scatterer installed).  In the EVE editor CloudManager, I can manually uncheck the 2D layers for each config subcomponent (?), but even after saving, a new set of duplicate configs (fully activated) with the same names appear in the manager list when I reload the game.  I've tried deleting cloud config files from both Spectra and GPP and they still seem to be cached somewhere.

Short of deleting the whole KSP directory and re-installing everything without cloud configs, and adding pruned config files one by one, is there a way of manually forcing an EVE config cache dump and rebuild?  I'm at a loss as to where all these settings are getting saved.   Note, I've even tried deleting the EVE folder, letting KSP run without it, then re-installing EVE, and the duplicating configs come back.  I think this is similar to what @RW-1 was commenting on a month or so ago.

The EVE cfgs for GPP (and addons) are so convoluted and tied together via MOdule Manager in the only ways they can work. If you are making changes in game via the EVE UI and saving in game, you are inadvertently deleting parts of the EVE code in GPP which will cause a lot of issues. If you are already knee deep in changes, there is no telling where to even begin looking. There is a reason the GPP team says to just use things we specify as compatible and have included ourselves. There are over 45 different variations of GPP + addons. Trying to figure out how to incorporate a mod that we had no intention of using (Spectra) is something none of us have time for at the moment, unfortunately. Most of us are taking a break from KSP and I am moving across the country and don’t know how much time I’ll have for KSP in the near future. 

Edited by Galileo

Hi!

Quick question, i tried to put the shadow material to 0 but it doesn't fade the cloud shadows. Would you have any tips for the value to tweak so i can either remove the cloud shadows, or even better, have some transparency to fade it out?

Here is a sceenshot. Im on RSS 1.2.2 using ETO

1530806605-screenshot385.png

Edited by bob_kelso

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.