[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

10 minutes ago, alexus said:

Hello. Is it possible to make a bump texture for the clouds when viewed from space?  Will it be in future?

It's certainly possible. But it's not something I would implement without an artist first producing some content demonstrating it's usefulness.

4 hours ago, Waz said:

It's certainly possible. But it's not something I would implement without an artist first producing some content demonstrating it's usefulness.

1280px_ISS034_E016601_Stratocumulus_Clou

Ok. Look at the photo.  You can see volumetric clouds from the space. And you can make volumetric clouds  like on this photo by bump texture. Do it, plz if you can.

And It is clouds in the game below.

KSP_x64_2018_08_12_22_47_33_41.jpg

KSP_x64_2018_08_13_00_24_25_45.jpg

KSP_x64_2018_08_13_00_24_33_57.jpg

Edited by alexus

This mod maker means that he* is not interested in doing what has been suggested, and he's the final word on his mod, so let's all please move on. 

*Yes, I assumed your gender. Could be wrong, but was based on the avatar. No offense intended, anyway.  

3 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

This mod maker means that he* is not interested in doing what has been suggested, and he's the final word on his mod, so let's all please move on. 

*Yes, I assumed your gender. Could be wrong, but was based on the avatar. No offense intended, anyway.  

Not at all, but I'm not going to do it based on someone's 2 minutes of googleing images. Producing EVE content takes artistic skill to produce the image maps, and without the necessary maps, me coding normalmap support in the plugin is worthless. For mods like EVE that are a combination of coding and art, it takes both to produce good results. If someone said "hey, I've got these awesome normalmaps, look how cool they look on this simple sphere, can we use them in EVE?", I'd be more than keen to look at supporting such maps in EVE. But I wouldn't even know where to start in producing such maps myself, let alone ones of any quality.

3 minutes ago, Waz said:

Not at all, but I'm not going to do it based on someone's 2 minutes of googleing images. Producing EVE content takes artistic skill to produce the image maps, and without the necessary maps, me coding normalmap support in the plugin is worthless. For mods like EVE that are a combination of coding and art, it takes both to produce good results. If someone said "hey, I've got these awesome normalmaps, look how cool they look on this simple sphere, can we use them in EVE?", I'd be more than keen to look at supporting such maps in EVE. But I wouldn't even know where to start in producing such maps myself, let alone ones of any quality. 

If you need normal map for clouds texture I can make it. is it?

Since bump-mapped clouds is something I would also like to see, I have taken it upon myself to submit my cloud map and a heightmap to go along with it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ob4m770r0ym015/Cloudmap and bumpmap.zip?dl=0

The heightmap will extend the clouds upwards to make them three dimensional whilst keeping the bottom relatively flat. If you wanted to go into detail, you could apply some noise to the bottom of the cloud to make it slightly bumpy. It would be great to see clouds like these whilst descending from space and not just a two dimensional detail texture. This would mean users could probably disable the volumetric setting since it's incredibly performance demanding and the heightmapped clouds would look realistic enough. Like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Gameslinx

9 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Since bump-mapped clouds is something I would also like to see, I have taken it upon myself to submit my cloud map and a heightmap to go along with it.

3 hours ago, Waz said:

Just posting a link to it here is fine.

It is bump map. https://yadi.sk/i/1mXx57pr3aAyrk

33 minutes ago, alexus said:

6 hours ago, Waz said:

contribute a cloudmap texture and a corresponding heightmap

@alexus You submitted a normal map (and by the licence listed in the bottom left of both textures, you're forbidden from modifying it and redistributing it like you just did).

In order to give the clouds depth, they would most likely require a heightmap and not a normal map (unless i'm wrong in which case please do correct me)

Edited by Gameslinx

4 minutes ago, alexus said:

Maybe Waz said what map of texture is needed?

(He did say heightmap)

4 minutes ago, alexus said:

Is it problem for you?

Not really, but i'm just telling you so that you don't make the same mistake in the future :) 

2 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

The heightmap will extend the clouds upwards to make them three dimensional whilst keeping the bottom relatively flat. If you wanted to go into detail, you could apply some noise to the bottom of the cloud to make it slightly bumpy. It would be great to see clouds like these whilst descending from space and not just a two dimensional detail texture. This would mean users could probably disable the volumetric setting since it's incredibly performance demanding and the heightmapped clouds would look realistic enough. Like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

I doubt there would be anywhere near enough resolution for them to look like that close up - that's the point of the volumetric clouds - to make them look better close up. But it might be possible to make the sphere slightly bumpy. The original question was about bump mapping from space, not close up though, which, given your image, produces something like this:

SX6p6Ax.png

For the in-space image, we need a normal map, but to do anything interesting close up, a height map is better. For this image, I just generated the normalmap from the heightmap.

1 hour ago, Waz said:

For the in-space image, we need a normal map, but to do anything interesting close up, a height map is better. For this image, I just generated the normalmap from the heightmap.

That looks awesome, it reminds me of the Elite Dangerous look that I've been going for for so long: 

Spoiler

latest?cb=20170425183801

Anyone (@Galileo, @Gameslinx, @alexus, @Poodmund, ...) wanting to have a go at developing some bumpmap clouds, please use these files:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SjfEAJDUh8a4RhapR_x6jFbQe-avGkwu?usp=sharing

Notes:

1. Copy the DLLs overwriting the previous ones.
  2. You will need a normal map image. If you use a DXTnm DDS, it should auto-detect. If you use a PNG, you will need to mark it as a normalmap - see the example texture.cfg
  3. See the example clouds.cfg for how to specify the BumpMap and BumpScale alongside the MainTex.
  4. Do not use Scatterer with the above DLLs, it uses it's own modified versions of the standard EVE shaders so you'll see nothing.
  5. I have only done minimal testing, with just @Gameslinx's images, YMMV. If it looks upside down or inside out, don't assume it's your images and not my code.

Enjoy!

Anybody say me plz why I can not make clouds through Textures.cfg file?

It is:

Spoiler

EVE_TEXTURE_CONFIG
{
    OBJECT
    {
        name = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/cubemaps/Kerbin/clouds
        type = TEX_CUBE_6
        texXn = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/cubemaps/Kerbin/clouds/cxn
        texXp = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/cubemaps/Kerbin/clouds/cxp
        texYn = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/cubemaps/Kerbin/clouds/cyn
        texYp = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/cubemaps/Kerbin/clouds/cyp
        texZn = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/cubemaps/Kerbin/clouds/czn
        texZp = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/cubemaps/Kerbin/clouds/czp
    }
}

SVE_Clouds.cfg:

Spoiler

SVE_Clouds.cfg:

OBJECT
    {
        name = Kerbin-MainClouds
        body = Kerbin
        altitude = 6000
        speed = 0,20,0
        settings
        {
            _DetailScale = 10
            _DistFadeVert = 3.99999E-05
            _UVNoiseAnimation = 0.2,0.2
            _UVNoiseStrength = 0.0001600001
            _Color = 255,255,255,150
            _UVNoiseScale = 0.0039999998
            _MainTex
            {
                value = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/cubemaps/Kerbin/clouds
            }
            _DetailTex
            {
                value = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/DetailLow
            }
            _UVNoiseTex
            {
                value = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/uvnoise1
            }
        }
        layer2D
        {
            macroCloudMaterial
            {
                _FalloffScale = 10
                _RimDist = 0.001
                _FalloffPow = 0.7
                _InvFade = 0.02
            }
            shadowMaterial
            {
                _ShadowFactor = 1.75
            }
        }
        layerVolume
        {
            area = 15000,3
            noiseScale = 1.2,1.2,90
            followDetail = True
            size = 5000,2
            rotationSpeed = 0.0010000001
            particleMaterial
            {
                _Tex = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/particle/rgb
                _BumpMap = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/particle/particle_NRM
                _LightScatter = 0.55
                _MinLight = 0.0
                _InvFade = 0.008
            }
        }
    }

Help me, please

Edited by alexus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.