[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

58 minutes ago, Cyb3rius said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Minmus has an atmospere too, and it's way smaller

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NxjhRj_sJPs/hqdefault.jpg

According to the planet cfgs for Minmus and Eeloo, neither one has an atmosphere. Eeloo was supposed to get a very small atmosphere along time ago but it was never implemented by squad and if it was it wouldn't be as thick as you are imagining it at all. Putting an atmosphere on Eeloo as it is wouldn't make any sense. Minmus just doesn't have an atmosphere and putting one there also, doesn't make sense. You could add moon dust to Minmus but that's about it. That screenshot is not proof that an atmosphere exists. Its just a screenshot showing clouds that someone put on Minmus or tekto in opm. Also, Environmental Visual Enhancements does not add atmospheres just clouds and adding a single  mostly opaque cloud layer to simulate an atmosphere looks awful

Edited by Galileo

I just returned to KSP for another run, and I'm noticing a significant difference in Kerbin cloud density in this version of EVE compared to the old one's default settings. I'm not using Scatterer.

Compare these screenshots from older versions to this one, taken just now.

Now clouds are much scarcer. Is it because they're now volumetric? How can I bring back the old look without killing my performance?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Shadow86

1 hour ago, Shadow86 said:

I just returned to KSP for another run, and I'm noticing a significant difference in Kerbin cloud density in this version of EVE compared to the old one's default settings. I'm not using Scatterer.

Compare these screenshots from older versions to this one, taken just now.

Now clouds are much scarcer. Is it because they're now volumetric? How can I bring back the old look without killing my performance?

Thanks in advance.

what version of KSP are those screenshots from?

EVE has changed A LOT since 1.0.5 and for the better. It is not possible to go back to the old clouds in this version of eve. There is a version of EVE 7-4 for 1.2.2 floating around somewhere but i'm unsure if it works still or not

4 hours ago, Galileo said:

what version of KSP are those screenshots from?

EVE has changed A LOT since 1.0.5 and for the better. It is not possible to go back to the old clouds in this version of eve. There is a version of EVE 7-4 for 1.2.2 floating around somewhere but i'm unsure if it works still or not

Can't accurately say. They're from 2014, which is admittedly a while ago, but I think I remember the EVE clouds looking "normal" all the way up to version 1.1.

This was taken almost exactly a year ago, and I would've noticed if the clouds had changed drastically (but that was 1.0.5 and I'm not sure how much attention I gave 1.1). This was all using the last pre-Waz version of EVE.

Anyway, I suppose I'll reformulate my question: how do I make cloud cover denser without killing my performance? Kerbin looked so much better when the clouds were quite Earth-like.

On 2/18/2017 at 7:58 AM, Starslinger999 said:

Is this compatible with OPM 1.2.2?

just like SVE and SVT it ONLY works on the stock planets. You need OPMVO if you want clouds in OPM (its not updated to work in 1.2.2 so you'll have to wait but at least you will know where to go). Just use the search bar to find it

Edited by Galileo

3 hours ago, Shadow86 said:

Can't accurately say. They're from 2014, which is admittedly a while ago, but I think I remember the EVE clouds looking "normal" all the way up to version 1.1.

This was taken almost exactly a year ago, and I would've noticed if the clouds had changed drastically (but that was 1.0.5 and I'm not sure how much attention I gave 1.1). This was all using the last pre-Waz version of EVE.

Anyway, I suppose I'll reformulate my question: how do I make cloud cover denser without killing my performance? Kerbin looked so much better when the clouds were quite Earth-like.

You may be only using EVE now, but those images remind me more of SVE or something. Are you sure of what you were using back then? There are and have been in the past quite a few different configs for EVE; those that ship with it are really just examples, IMHO. The only thing I'm aware of changing is that volumetric clouds now fade in correctly instead of popping in (ignoring the new vertical culling feature), which means there are less of them; but this doesn't affect the 2D clouds (those you see at main menu and map view).

The best way to have more clouds is ... to use SVE's configs! :-)

Alt-0 (zero) lets you play with the config.

19 hours ago, Waz said:

You may be only using EVE now, but those images remind me more of SVE or something. Are you sure of what you were using back then? There are and have been in the past quite a few different configs for EVE; those that ship with it are really just examples, IMHO. The only thing I'm aware of changing is that volumetric clouds now fade in correctly instead of popping in (ignoring the new vertical culling feature), which means there are less of them; but this doesn't affect the 2D clouds (those you see at main menu and map view).

The best way to have more clouds is ... to use SVE's configs! :-)

Alt-0 (zero) lets you play with the config.

I've always used EVE and its default configs. Never felt the need to dig into the settings until now.

I find it surprising that SVE's global cloud cover (as in the one you see on Kerbin from space, presumably 2D) is the one I remember EVE having previously. Perhaps something got lost somewhere along the way.

Seems I'd have to stick with SVE if I want to keep a semblance of what I used to have. Unfortunately, it's very demanding and takes over 10-15 fps from what I'm used to (even the lowest-res version). I'm tinkering with the settings, trying to find the most overly intensive, least "cost-effective" bells and whistles (i.e. god rays) and disabling them as I go. Clearly the game's not optimized for this level of detail (not that optimization is KSP's forte anyway).

Thanks for your help, Waz.

Edited by Shadow86

23 minutes ago, Shadow86 said:

I'm tinkering with the settings, trying to find the most overly intensive, least "cost-effective" bells and whistles (i.e. god rays) and disabling them as I go. Clearly the game's not optimized for this level of detail (not that optimization is KSP's forte anyway).

I believe the god rays are part of the Scatterer mod anyway, not EVE.

Hello, guys, I'm trying to build myself a 1.2.2 install and decided to go from SVE back to EVE. However, after using CKAN to bold on the usual EVE-scatterer-Planetshine shebang, I've got issues minor and major.

Firstly, I'm seeing a "mirage" effect on clouds, e.g. Duna.

470E02788E5CA15E387DC838F831BEE41FE6961F

Log: https://1drv.ms/t/s!AmlSZuL0ax7C2i28j0NVMp7mjidN

Secondly, these clouds appear to be an element of EVE.

1838F6EC3D258489925C86C375C02D7ECD2EEB42

FBE8726A1CFF982337423B690978060C0BDDF1AD

Since I've felt like scratching my eyes out ever since 1.1.3, is it possible to minimize them somehow?

I can't see what you're meaning with the "mirage" clouds. Do you mean they have shadows?

As for there being lots of clouds on EVE, yes, there are. It's cloudy there. The configs should not have changed significantly since 1.1.2.

11 hours ago, DDE said:

Firstly, I'm seeing a "mirage" effect on clouds, e.g. Duna.

This is the new UV noise feature. Makes the clouds look like they are moving, combining and splitting. Also, it makes the edges of the detail textures a bit more fuzzy to hide some of the pixelation that might exist.

11 hours ago, DDE said:

Since I've felt like scratching my eyes out ever since 1.1.3, is it possible to minimize them somehow?

Open the EVE interface (Mod Key + 0 {Zero}) and find the body you want to edit. Then, scroll down and search for the "layerVolume" entry. The "size" and "area" tuples control the density and cover area of the volumetric cloud particles.

1 hour ago, Phineas Freak said:

This is the new UV noise feature. Makes the clouds look like they are moving, combining and splitting. Also, it makes the edges of the detail textures a bit more fuzzy to hide some of the pixelation that might exist.

But should it lead to kilometer-size oscillations over the span of a second?

Just now, DDE said:

No. This is also tweakable in the EVE gui, it is just that, as @Waz has stated before, EVE itself is not a visual pack to use "as-is". It is just providing some basic functionality to cover a basic release and for demonstrating the possibilities (example: auroras are provided by almost every pack and are easy to implement, but EVE does not include them).

In fact, it would probably be better if EVE was "scaled back" to only provide the .dll assemblies (and leave the rest up to the modder).

SVE (and similar visual packs) are what you should use.

8 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

In fact, it would probably be better if EVE was "scaled back" to only provide the .dll assemblies (and leave the rest up to the modder).

SVE (and similar visual packs) are what you should use.

It is... that's why there are two downloads: 

• AnyCPU-EVE-Release.zip
  • AnyCPU-Configs-Release.zip

If you don't want the EVE configs just don't download them...?

11 hours ago, DDE said:

Hehe... you obviously haven't visited Jool yet, if you think that's unrealistic speed. As @Phineas Freak said, the purpose of these configs is to demonstrate features, not to make them look as good and realistic as possible - for that I defer to the other excellent mods built upon the basic DLL of EVE. If Mark Weir can have a storm of small stones on Mars, then Duna can have 1000m/s winds :-)

Edited by Waz

7 hours ago, Waz said:

If Mark Weir can have a storm of small stones on Mars, then Duna can have 1000m/s winds :-)

:mad:

7 hours ago, Waz said:

for that I defer to the other excellent mods built upon the basic DLL of EVE.

Unfortunately, SVE got a little too creative for me. They're turning Laythe into another OPM Tekto.

13 hours ago, Poodmund said:

If you don't want the EVE configs just don't download them...?

I was not speaking as a mod user but as a mod provider. It does not make any difference now (since the BoulderCo assets have been a part of EVE since ever and would not make sense to remove it now). I was thinking more something like Kopernicus, offering only the basic functionality and not even a "sample" of the capabilities, leaving that up to the other mod providers.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, if so, I apologize.

I would like to know if it's possible to disable volumetric clouds and only leave the 2D clouds in. I want to see those beautiful clouds and night side city lights, as well as the clouds on duna so I actually feel like landing on a mars-like planet, but I am getting extreme performance impact when using EVE with scatterer.

Also, if anyone could suggest the most optimal settings for both scatterer and EVE to get maximum performance but at the same time to actually get the feel that there's an atmosphere on kerbin, that would be greatly appreciated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.