[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

7 hours ago, jsimmons said:

Just tested your latest drop. So much better. I have only one request. The city light textures are really pixelated. Do you think it would be possible to add noise similar to what you did for the cloud textures.

The UVnoise thing really only works well for continuous gradients. Do you mean pixelized when up close or far away? For far away, some anisotropic filtering might help. For close up, I think the only solution ... is real city geometry.

1 hour ago, The Tenth Avenger said:

-Sorry for my bad English- How can I elminate the city lights from Kerbin? (Without uninstalling the mod, obviuslly)

Please somebody tell me...

Thanks

Delete the citylights.dll in the plugins folder 

On 4/14/2017 at 7:00 PM, Waz said:

The UVnoise thing really only works well for continuous gradients. Do you mean pixelized when up close or far away? For far away, some anisotropic filtering might help. For close up, I think the only solution ... is real city geometry.

The pixelized city show up while in scaled spaced i.e in orbit 160km+.  Do you want me to post a picture showing what I mean. BTW thank you for all your work. What you do is beyond me. 

3 hours ago, jsimmons said:

The pixelized city show up while in scaled spaced i.e in orbit 160km+.  Do you want me to post a picture showing what I mean. BTW thank you for all your work. What you do is beyond me. 

Please do because I have no idea what you are talking about :)

23 hours ago, Galileo said:

Please do because I have no idea what you are talking about :)

If they're using SVE, I just noticed that the textures in StockVisualEnhancements\EVE\CityLights\Textures have no mipmaps. This would cause pixelization.

Edit: a quick test by replacing the DDS files with PNG files (so that KSP loads them and generates mipmaps), confirms - yes, they twinkle more without mipmaps.

Edited by Waz

2 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@jsimmons Do the city lights have a similar "pixelization" (appearing as blocks) as the ones from this image? Or is it a different problem?

Hide contents

eve_citylights.png

That just looks like you've got low-resolution terrain textures, with something like the default config. i.e. it looks more like the *terrain* is pixelized, not the cities, which have more detail than the surrounding terrain.

First of all: Thanks to @Waz for the hard work on this awesome mod!

I experienced an interesting bug whenever I jump directly from the Space Center to a ship in orbit: then the clouds seem to be fixed to the camera perspective rather than the planet and the cloud shadows do not match the clouds - they are just fixed at random positions on the surface of Kerbin. When I launch a new rocket or jump to a ship via tracking station everything is fine - the bug only occurs when I jump right into the ship (I'm using Haystack Continued for this - but I assume the same bug may occur with other mods giving the same functionality). I was able to replicate this in a fresh KSP install with only EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements and Haystack Continued  installed. Here is a picture of the wrongly placed shadows: http://imgur.com/a/aoOaz - it looks even stranger when moving

3 hours ago, shadow.blade said:

First of all: Thanks to @Waz for the hard work on this awesome mod!

I experienced an interesting bug whenever I jump directly from the Space Center to a ship in orbit: then the clouds seem to be fixed to the camera perspective rather than the planet and the cloud shadows do not match the clouds - they are just fixed at random positions on the surface of Kerbin. When I launch a new rocket or jump to a ship via tracking station everything is fine - the bug only occurs when I jump right into the ship (I'm using Haystack Continued for this - but I assume the same bug may occur with other mods giving the same functionality). I was able to replicate this in a fresh KSP install with only EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements and Haystack Continued  installed. Here is a picture of the wrongly placed shadows: http://imgur.com/a/aoOaz - it looks even stranger when moving

Can you report this with this good level of detail in an Issue on my EVE GitHub, ideally tested with just EVE and that mod installed? There are a few glitches like this, but they have always been hard to reproduce in the past, so I've never managed to track them down. 

On 4/18/2017 at 0:36 PM, Waz said:

That just looks like you've got low-resolution terrain textures, with something like the default config

Both the body terrain texture and the city lights overlay textures are 8 K, with the detail city texture being 4K. The EVE city lights config (that controls the tiling of the detail texture but it does not eliminate the hard edges (tested various values between 1 and 10000, current value is 250).

Hi Waz,

Am I going mad, or does EVE cause some crazy crazy CPU usage when looking at the horizon? Going from ~15% usage to 65+% CPU usage making frames tank.

Problem isn't present without EVE installed, GPU usage always below 50%. 

Cheers

14 hours ago, Linear said:

Hi Waz,

Am I going mad, or does EVE cause some crazy crazy CPU usage when looking at the horizon? Going from ~15% usage to 65+% CPU usage making frames tank.

Problem isn't present without EVE installed, GPU usage always below 50%. 

Cheers

Certainly when looking at the horizon the number of polygons to be rendered for the 2D clouds is highest, but I've never heard of it being particularly expensive. What graphics card are you using? Did you mean to use both "CPU" and "GPU" above?

5 hours ago, Waz said:

Certainly when looking at the horizon the number of polygons to be rendered for the 2D clouds is highest, but I've never heard of it being particularly expensive. What graphics card are you using? Did you mean to use both "CPU" and "GPU" above?

GTX 1060 6GB, older i5 3330. GPU usage never goes above 50%, however at certain angles (horizon really stood out) the CPU usage can double/triple. I'll do some more testing when I'm home in a few hours. It really made frames tank, and I had to uninstall :-(

4 hours ago, Linear said:

GTX 1060 6GB

What the Jebedaiah? I have a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB and playing with: 8K planet textures + 8K cloudmaps + 4K detail textures + 4K ringtexture + 4K sun texture + HD Sunflare + 1K surface textures + Scatterer + ocean shaders + 4K skybox textures in this image here:

7UKTXI2.png

No lag at all. I'm really wondering what the Kerman could make your PC lag so badly. Hell, I even run a second monitor on this thing.

Can you post a list of mods?

2 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

What the Jebedaiah? I have a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Well... the question is CPU load, is it not? What does your graphics card have to do with anything?

I too have noticed a pretty heavy CPU tax running EVE, though I do have a fairly quick CPU, so it doesn't cause serious problems.
It's still be nice to get it down a bit, if possible. CPU cycles (especially in the main thread) are at something of a premium when running KSP.

Edited by steve_v

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

Well... the question is CPU load, is it not? What does your graphics card have to do with anything?

I too have noticed a pretty heavy CPU tax running EVE, though I do have a fairly quick CPU, so it doesn't cause serious problems.
It's still be nice to get it down a bit, if possible. CPU cycles (especially in the main thread) are at something of a premium when running KSP.

My CPU is pretty comparable as well, a sixth gen Intel i5-6400, and it never rises beyond 30% when playing KSP. The RAM however is a completely different story.

@Linear How much RAM does your PC have?

And the GPU is the one loading all of the texturework. I figured EVE would be harder on the GPU than the CPU tbh.

Here is an album link to an EVE on/off - it's the only mod installed here (might want to open each pic in separate tab and zoom - couldnt display CPU data on OSD: 

You can see a small bump in GPU, 10-15%+ with EVE installed, but CPU being used a LOT more (1GB RAM increase seems normal). Am I just having to face the fact is the CPU is getting a bit too old now?

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

Your system resources are there to be used. It looks as though you're getting around 60fps there (V-Sync on?) so what's the issue?

55fps max with a three part craft, when i unlock the unmodded version I'm getting over 100, seems a little off. As a soft dev, i'd have to mark this as a problem!

EDIT: I'm more than happy to mark this as my hardware getting old, but there's no way a 30% increase in CPU usage is realistic, and it seems others with similar configs are not getting this problem :-)

Edited by Linear

2 hours ago, Linear said:

55fps max with a three part craft, when i unlock the unmodded version I'm getting over 100, seems a little off. As a soft dev, i'd have to mark this as a problem!

EDIT: I'm more than happy to mark this as my hardware getting old, but there's no way a 30% increase in CPU usage is realistic, and it seems others with similar configs are not getting this problem :-)

Can you narrow it down further by incrementally removing clouds layers in the EVE menu (Alt-zero)?

EVE shouldn't be using much CPU at all.

Edited by Waz

On 20.4.2017 at 0:39 AM, Waz said:

Can you report this with this good level of detail in an Issue on my EVE GitHub, ideally tested with just EVE and that mod installed? There are a few glitches like this, but they have always been hard to reproduce in the past, so I've never managed to track them down. 

Took a bit longer, but it's online now.