[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

1 hour ago, The Robot Soldier said:

There is only one cloud layer. Is there any way to fix this?

You can add more cloud layers (Alt-zero), or you can install a configuration such as SVE (see first post) which adds all sorts of neat clouds.

20 minutes ago, DocRockwell said:

Is there a way to reduce the brightness? The illuminated sides of planets is excessively bright and washed out in my game.

Have a screenshot? This mod only adds clouds, it doesn't illuminate anything. 

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Have a screenshot? This mod only adds clouds, it doesn't illuminate anything. 

I wasn't sure where to ask about this problem. This picture is taken over African continent. I'm running half scale RSS, I noticed the RSSVisualEnhancements configs have a setting for sunlightintensity, I tried reducing it from 1.0 to 0.8, but didn't notice any difference. Everything else looks about right (illumination of vessels, dark sides of planets, etc.) but the illuminated sides of planets are blinding, can't even see orbits or maneuver nodes without aiming the camera through the dark side. 

Cheers

PJIaTNf.jpg

15 minutes ago, DocRockwell said:

I wasn't sure where to ask about this problem. This picture is taken over African continent. I'm running half scale RSS, I noticed the RSSVisualEnhancements configs have a setting for sunlightintensity, I tried reducing it from 1.0 to 0.8, but didn't notice any difference. Everything else looks about right (illumination of vessels, dark sides of planets, etc.) but the illuminated sides of planets are blinding, can't even see orbits or maneuver nodes without aiming the camera through the dark side. 

Cheers

PJIaTNf.jpg

That's not an eve issue. This is an issue with RSSVE or half size RSS. I would go ask there. It looks like the result of a bad Light node in the kopernicus cfgs

Hi waz, I was wondering if the sun (or kerbol's) increased brightness (sort of blinding brightness) was caused by E.V.E. The only other "texture" mods I have installed are scatter, planet shine, and distant object enhancement. If E.V.E. is causing the increased brightness is there a way I can fix it? 

3 hours ago, The Robot Soldier said:

Hi waz, I was wondering if the sun (or kerbol's) increased brightness (sort of blinding brightness) was caused by E.V.E. The only other "texture" mods I have installed are scatter, planet shine, and distant object enhancement. If E.V.E. is causing the increased brightness is there a way I can fix it? 

EVE doesnt touch sun the sun. Have any planet packs or anything. Post your logs and a screenshot of your gamedata folder.

Scatterer provides a white sun flare if that is what you are talking about?

Edited by Galileo

4 hours ago, Galileo said:

EVE doesnt touch sun the sun. Have any planet packs or anything. Post your logs and a screenshot of your gamedata folder.

Scatterer provides a white sun flare if that is what you are talking about?

I have opm that's it. The sun flare is white though so it might be scatter. Do you know a way to fix this because the light is hard to look at because it's so bright. I had RSSVE installed by accident, could this be causing it, I just deleted it now so I wonder if thats what was causing the eye scorching sun. 

Edited by The Robot Soldier

That's two with this overbright problem. What is going on? 0_0

I'll just post this out there for everyone else having the same issue:

EVE does not alter the Sun in any way. The most likely cause is a mod altering Kerbin. Either way, deinstall EVE and see if that fixes it, then reinstall it to make sure that EVE is the cause. If so, file a bug report. Tagging @Sigma88 because the nyan cat in his signature knows all about bug reports. (I personally think that, should EVE be the problem, it could be related to the cloud shadows. It's the only terrain-related stuff EVE has AFAIK)

If the problem persists, try the following fix:

- Head to the GameData folder in your KSP directory (for Steam users: C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Kerbal Space Program)

- Locate and copy-n-paste a .cfg file, then rename it (the name is not important, just for simplicity and to keep everything neatly organized) (alternatively open up Notepad, head to 'save as', give it a name and add .cfg to the name, just make sure it ends up somewhere in a subfolder in GameData (for example GameData/Squad, or simply make a new folder)

- Paste in the following code (note that it requires the Kopernicus plugin to function)

@Kopernicus:FOR[KerbinLightBalance]
{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		@PQS
		{
			Material
			{
				saturation = 1
				contrast = 1
			}
		}
	}
}

This code should rebalance some stuff. For some reason the contrast value for Kerbin seems to be 4 by default, which makes things really bloody bright in my experience if Kerbin is altered through Kopernicus. Adding this should fix the problem.

5 hours ago, The Robot Soldier said:

I have opm that's it. The sun flare is white though so it might be scatter. Do you know a way to fix this because the light is hard to look at because it's so bright. I had RSSVE installed by accident, could this be causing it, I just deleted it now so I wonder if thats what was causing the eye scorching sun. 

If you had RSSve installed, your sunflare was likely scaled up for an RSS size system....

Edited by Galileo

2 minutes ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

I don't know if this has been asked before, but can you add clouds to the sun or any star added in a planet Pack?

In olden days, you could. I haven't tried with it with the last few versions. Good question!

I would like to bring attention to an issue mentioned in another thread from a mod that uses EVE, involving the latest version, which seems to be happening in some AMD video cards, because something even worse happened with mine as well, a R9 385:

On 03/05/2017 at 7:45 AM, Benoit Hage said:

Hello.

I don't have much hope of finding an answer, but here is my question:

I'm having a coil whining sound on my graphic card. I manage to isolate it to "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements". When I install RSSVE and all its dependencies, everything work nicely, but there is this coil whining sound when I look down on Earth from lower orbit and only when look down, as looking around at the rest of space does not produce a noise from the card.

If I remove the "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements" folder while still having "scatterer", the noise stops.

So my question is: Is there any setting I can tune in "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements" to try to remove this sound? Anybody also experiencing this? The only other time I've heard a coil whining sound from my card is at the loading of "Asset Bundle Definition" during the loading of the game. I've never heard it anywhere else, whatever the played game.

The graphic card is an ATI Radeon R9 380 and is up to date driver wise...

After updating to the latest version of Environmental Visual Enhancements, I'm probably lucky nothing worse happened than the screen going black because of the graphic card shutting down and some times the system also went into forced reboot. In some cases these happened less than one minute after loading a quick save with a vessel in Low Earth Orbit. Unfortunately I found no useful logs or information that could help track down the reason the latest EVE is provoking these. After downgrading to the previous version of EVE, all these serious problems stopped, which also means it is not something caused by RSSVE unless a feature from EVE only RSSVE uses is the reason. For now downgrading is the only solution. Wish I could have given more help in discovering why.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but quick question - how do I disable cloud shadows? I re-installed EVE and they're causing a few problems with FPS, but I can't remember how I got rid of them before. I'm using SVE, not sure if that makes a difference to the answer.

Cheers

Ryan

27 minutes ago, ryan234abc said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but quick question - how do I disable cloud shadows? I re-installed EVE and they're causing a few problems with FPS, but I can't remember how I got rid of them before. I'm using SVE, not sure if that makes a difference to the answer.

Cheers

Ryan

If you are experiencing fps loss with cloud shadows, I doubt disabling them will help at all, but you can open the GUI and set the shadowmaterial value to zero on all cloud layers that have shadows. Or just unclick the button

Edited by Galileo

19 minutes ago, ryan234abc said:

Cheers

Ryan

this has to be easily searchable now but whatever -

• open the EVE config window (button on toolbar)
  • Use the top-left ← to switch to the clouds manager
  • Use the ← below that to find the SVE configs (may already be showing if that's all you have installed for clouds)
  • Select the Kerbin-MainClouds layer
  • Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the settings and unselect the ShadowMaterial option
  • Click "Apply" and the game will lock up for a few seconds while the changes are made, just wait for it

@Galileo I LITERALLY clicked "Submit" on my post when the notification popped up that you had replied I was like AARRRGGHH!! :P

Edited by Drew Kerman

7 hours ago, Galileo said:

If you are experiencing fps loss with cloud shadows, I doubt disabling them will help at all, but you can open the GUI and set the shadowmaterial value to zero on all cloud layers that have shadows. Or just unclick the button

Shadows are significantly more expensive than the clouds themselves. They're implemented by completely redrawing all the geometry (the ground, the VAB, your rocket, etc.) with a second semi-transparent black pass, whereas (2D) clouds are just drawn on a sphere. Volumetric clouds are more expensive than both, though I've never determined why; certainly they involve a lot of overdraw.

Also note that setting ShadowFactor to 0 saves nothing - it is all still drawn, just entirely transparently. Unchecking the shadow material is the correct way.

Edited by Waz

I downloaded the two files:

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-1.2.2.1.zip
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-Configs-1.2.2.1.zip

into an SSRSS build, clouds are not appears in the menu screen or in the game.  Where should I start to check?  I do have scatter, distant objects & planet shine installed.

Chances are , I didn't follow a well documented instruction somewhere, a little help please.

btw - in the eve config, at the cloud manager, there is no file and there is an "invalid name!" there.

14 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

I downloaded the two files:

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-1.2.2.1.zip
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-Configs-1.2.2.1.zip

into an SSRSS build, clouds are not appears in the menu screen or in the game.  Where should I start to check?  I do have scatter, distant objects & planet shine installed.

Chances are , I didn't follow a well documented instruction somewhere, a little help please.

btw - in the eve config, at the cloud manager, there is no file and there is an "invalid name!" there.

Do not install the cfgs. if you are using SSRSS. 

Edited by Galileo