[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

hello

I'm trying to add new texture at texture manage but it gives "Invalid Name" error every time

what should I do?

example:

EVE_TEXTURE_CONFIG
{
	OBJECT
	{
		name = Clouds
		type = TEX_CUBE_6
		texXn = E.T.O/Assets/cubemaps/Earth/clouds/cxn
		texXp = E.T.O/Assets/cubemaps/Earth/clouds/cxp
		texYn = E.T.O/Assets/cubemaps/Earth/clouds/cyn
		texYp = E.T.O/Assets/cubemaps/Earth/clouds/cyp
		texZn = E.T.O/Assets/cubemaps/Earth/clouds/czn
		texZp = E.T.O/Assets/cubemaps/Earth/clouds/czp

2 hours ago, enigmasi said:

hello

I'm trying to add new texture at texture manage but it gives "Invalid Name" error every time

what should I do?

example:

EVE_TEXTURE_CONFIG
{
	OBJECT
	{
		name = Clouds
		type = TEX_CUBE_6
		texXn = E.T.O/Assets/cubemaps/Earth/clouds/cxn
		texXp = E.T.O/Assets/cubemaps/Earth/clouds/cxp
		texYn = E.T.O/Assets/cubemaps/Earth/clouds/cyn
		texYp = E.T.O/Assets/cubemaps/Earth/clouds/cyp
		texZn = E.T.O/Assets/cubemaps/Earth/clouds/czn
		texZp = E.T.O/Assets/cubemaps/Earth/clouds/czp

You'll need to trace the problem further yourself first. Start with the smallest file that shows the problem. What is different in that file versus the EVE configs that do work? etc.

Hello guys,

I installed EVE through CKAN shortly after 1.2.2 dropped and it looked awesome. Recently CKAN told me there is a new version available and I update it immediately. It still looks okay now, but I liked the previous version much better. There were more clouds, more layers I think, and they definitely moved much faster too. I liked how fast they moved. Is there a way to get the previous "stock" config back??

Talking about EVE here, and the configs it comes with. No SVE or any other non "stock EVE" configs.

Thanks in advance

Daf

2 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Hello guys,

I installed EVE through CKAN shortly after 1.2.2 dropped and it looked awesome. Recently CKAN told me there is a new version available and I update it immediately. It still looks okay now, but I liked the previous version much better. There were more clouds, more layers I think, and they definitely moved much faster too. I liked how fast they moved. Is there a way to get the previous "stock" config back??

Talking about EVE here, and the configs it comes with. No SVE or any other non "stock EVE" configs.

Thanks in advance

Daf

@Waz correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing changed config wise. The only real change in the update was the cloud shadows and what they can and cannot be cast on.

You can go to the github repository and download the previous version if you want to try that.

17 minutes ago, Galileo said:

@Waz correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing changed config wise. The only real change in the update was the cloud shadows and what they can and cannot be cast on.

You can go to the github repository and download the previous version if you want to try that.

Thank you. I see. I'll try that.

Now that you mention it, the much weaker and much slower moving cloud shadows around the KSC were exactly what catched my attention at first. The scenes on the launchpad were so much more dramatic before.

Thanks again.

9 hours ago, Waz said:

You'll need to trace the problem further yourself first. Start with the smallest file that shows the problem. What is different in that file versus the EVE configs that do work? etc.

this "Invalid Name" may be related to texture itself? if something wrong with texture

On 5/22/2017 at 4:55 PM, Dafni said:

Thank you. I see. I'll try that.

Now that you mention it, the much weaker and much slower moving cloud shadows around the KSC were exactly what catched my attention at first. The scenes on the launchpad were so much more dramatic before.

Thanks again.

I suspect this is purely a coincidence of when you happened to be looking. KSC has some days heavily clouded, others much less so.

8 hours ago, Waz said:

I suspect this is purely a coincidence of when you happened to be looking. KSC has some days heavily clouded, others much less so.

Thank you. This is entirely possible indeed. Does the speed of the clouds relative to the surface change too? Or is it more like a spinning layer with the same speed all over?

16 hours ago, Dafni said:

Thank you. This is entirely possible indeed. Does the speed of the clouds relative to the surface change too? Or is it more like a spinning layer with the same speed all over?

With the "BoulderCo" (default) configs, there is only one cloud layer. Each layer spins at a constant speed and direction, so the clouds always appear to go over at the same speed. With multiple layers you'll see differences depending on which layer(s)'s clouds are passing overhead.

In any case, I have not changed the configs since I started maintaining EVE with 1.2, nor how that part of the config is interpreted. If it's significantly different, that was an accident (but not one I would fix, since those who do write configs will have adapted by now).

Hi, when i try to install the EVE Stock planet config files (BoulderCo folder) on ckan, it throws an error saying "Cannot install [some other mod], module not available"

If i try to remove the [some other mod] the error will just appear again with a different mod name when i retry. I've tried with ksp 1.2.2 and 1.3 neither works.

10 hours ago, John007qwe said:

Hi, when i try to install the EVE Stock planet config files (BoulderCo folder) on ckan, it throws an error saying "Cannot install [some other mod], module not available"

If i try to remove the [some other mod] the error will just appear again with a different mod name when i retry. I've tried with ksp 1.2.2 and 1.3 neither works.

I've seen similar issues when trying to change between EVE configs (eg. between BoulderCo which I test and SVE which I play).

I don't know if it's bug in CKAN or in the NetKAN data for EVE. It seems CKAN only handles it well if you first uninstall things, then reinstall them. eg. uninstall EVE, then install SVE (which reinstalls EVE).

Fortunately, CKAN caches the downloads themselves, so it doesn't take long.

If you want to track it down permanently, you'll need to report to the NetKAN and/or CKAN developers, with a nice clean example (i.e. minimal mod selection) of what causes the problem.

6 hours ago, Errol said:

Does anyone know where the animated clouds from orbit in Matt Lowne's videos come from?

Looks like a standard UVNoise animation-enabled cloudlayer, which is something not commonly used by cloud packs for main cloud layers and is often used for effects instead. Thus I believe it's the default EVE 'BoulderCo' configuration.

15 hours ago, Waz said:

I've seen similar issues when trying to change between EVE configs (eg. between BoulderCo which I test and SVE which I play).

So is SVE and stock planets config (BoulderCo) just 2 different presets, or do I need both?

2 minutes ago, John007qwe said:

So is SVE and stock planets config (BoulderCo) just 2 different presets, or do I need both?

They are two different set of cfgs and textures. You can only use one :)

6 hours ago, John007qwe said:

SVE is EVE configs, Scatterer configs, and Kopernicus tweaks, that together Make Everything Better it requires both EVE and Scatterer to work, but Kopernicus is optional. Stock Visual Terrain (SVT) is actual terrain detail improvements (requires Kopernicus). I strongly recommend both.

The default EVE configs (BoulderCo) is just an example, in my opinion. Certainly I don't change the configs and if someone wanted to contribute improvements, I'd probably just tell them to make their own config mod (except perhaps adding an aurora, because that is something that EVE tries hard to make possible but does not actually demonstrate).

Hello!

I'm pretty well finished making the visuals for my planet mod. I've downloaded the latest version of EVE which has this:

• The clouds now appear in the main menu.

and... I'm not getting that effect.

67b6pCY.png

The clouds only appear after heading to the 'settings' menu, but they're offset inside the planet.

YZgxLbS.png

Logs and Configuration Files:

Output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nd4lpwhr72b47fy/output_log.txt?dl=0

Cloud configuration file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8m5fxnfnp59xjc/Clouds.cfg?dl=0

Here's the code for the node where the clouds are applied:

EVE_CLOUDS
{
OBJECT
	{
		name = Gaia-MainClouds
		body = Gaia
		altitude = 8000
		detailSpeed = 0,6,0
		settings
		{
			_DetailScale = 30
			_UVNoiseStrength = 0.0008
			_UVNoiseScale = 0.0075
			_UVNoiseAnimation = 2,0
			_MainTex
			{
				value = Olei/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/niebos1
			}
			_UVNoiseTex
			{
				value = Olei/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/uvnoise1
			}
			_DetailTex
			{
				value = Olei/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/Detail2
			}
		}
		layer2D
		{
			shadowMaterial
			{
				_ShadowFactor = 0.2
			}
			macroCloudMaterial
			{
				_DetailDist = 2E-06
				_MinLight = 0.1
			}
		}
		layerVolume
		{
			maxTranslation = 100,200,100
			size = 2000,2.2
			area = 18000,4
			noiseScale = 1.2,1.3,90
			particleMaterial
			{
				_BumpMap = Olei/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/particle_NRM
				_LightScatter = 0.6
				_Tex
				{
					value = Olei/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/rgb
				}
			}
		}
	}
	OBJECT
	{
		name = Gaia-Cirrus
		body = Gaia
		altitude = 8100
		speed = 0,90,0
		detailSpeed = 0,6,0
		settings
		{
			_Color = 255,255,255,255
			_DetailScale = 30
			_UVNoiseScale = 0.0075
			_UVNoiseAnimation = 2,0
			_MainTex
			{
				value = Olei/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/Cirrus_tertiary
			}
			_DetailTex
			{
			}
		}
		layer2D
		{
			shadowMaterial
			{
				_ShadowFactor = 0.1
			}
			macroCloudMaterial
			{
				_DetailDist = 2E-06
				_MinLight = 0.05
			}
		}
		layerVolume
		{
			size = 2000,2.2
			area = 18000,4
			noiseScale = 1.2,1.3,90
			particleMaterial
			{
				_LightScatter = 0.6
				_Tex
				{
				}
			}
		}
	}
	OBJECT
	{
		name = Gaia-glow
		body = Gaia
		altitude = 30000
		speed = 0,0,0
		detailSpeed = 0,0,0
		settings
		{
			_Color = 100,100,255,80
			_MainTex
			{
				value = Olei/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/blank
			}
			_DetailTex
			{
				value = Olei/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/clear
			}
		}
		layer2D
		{
			macroCloudMaterial
			{
				_RimDistSub = 2E-5
				_FalloffScale = 4
			}
		}
	}
}

NOTE: This occurs on 1.2.2 and 1.3, however my log file is from 1.3. Any help would be nice :)

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

Hello!

I'm pretty well finished making the visuals for my planet mod. I've downloaded the latest version of EVE which has this:

and... I'm not getting that effect.

67b6pCY.png

The clouds only appear after heading to the 'settings' menu, but they're offset inside the planet.

YZgxLbS.png

Logs and Configuration Files:

Output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nd4lpwhr72b47fy/output_log.txt?dl=0

Cloud configuration file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8m5fxnfnp59xjc/Clouds.cfg?dl=0

Here's the code for the node where the clouds are applied:

EVE_CLOUDS
{
OBJECT
	{
		name = Gaia-MainClouds
		body = Gaia
		altitude = 8000
		detailSpeed = 0,6,0
		settings
		{
			_DetailScale = 30
			_UVNoiseScale = 0.0075
			_UVNoiseAnimation = 2,0
			_MainTex
			{
				value = Olei/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/niebos1
			}
			_UVNoiseTex
			{
				value = Olei/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/uvnoise1
			}
			_DetailTex
			{
			}
		}
		layer2D
		{
			shadowMaterial
			{
				_ShadowFactor = 0.2
			}
			macroCloudMaterial
			{
				_DetailDist = 2E-06
				_MinLight = 0.1
			}
		}
		layerVolume
		{
			size = 2000,2.2
			area = 18000,4
			noiseScale = 1.2,1.3,90
			particleMaterial
			{
				_LightScatter = 0.6
				_Tex
				{
				}
			}
		}
	}
	OBJECT
	{
		name = Gaia-Cirrus
		body = Gaia
		altitude = 8100
		speed = 0,90,0
		detailSpeed = 0,6,0
		settings
		{
			_Color = 255,255,255,255
			_DetailScale = 30
			_UVNoiseScale = 0.0075
			_UVNoiseAnimation = 2,0
			_MainTex
			{
				value = Olei/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/Cirrus_tertiary
			}
			_DetailTex
			{
			}
		}
		layer2D
		{
			shadowMaterial
			{
				_ShadowFactor = 0.1
			}
			macroCloudMaterial
			{
				_DetailDist = 2E-06
				_MinLight = 0.05
			}
		}
		layerVolume
		{
			size = 2000,2.2
			area = 18000,4
			noiseScale = 1.2,1.3,90
			particleMaterial
			{
				_LightScatter = 0.6
				_Tex
				{
				}
			}
		}
	}
	OBJECT
	{
		name = Gaia-glow
		body = Gaia
		altitude = 30000
		speed = 0,0,0
		detailSpeed = 0,0,0
		settings
		{
			_Color = 100,100,255,80
			_MainTex
			{
				value = Olei/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/blank
			}
			_DetailTex
			{
				value = Olei/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/clear
			}
		}
		layer2D
		{
			macroCloudMaterial
			{
				_RimDistSub = 2E-5
				_FalloffScale = 4
			}
		}
	}
}

NOTE: This occurs on 1.2.2 and 1.3, however my log file is from 1.3. Any help would be nice :)

You have to use the new kopernicus parameter "displayName" to make the clouds clouds work on the main menu. Bodies not named Kerbin do not work. cbNameLater won't work just displayName

Edited by Galileo

29 minutes ago, Galileo said:

You have to use the new kopernicus parameter "displayName" to make the clouds clouds work on the main menu. Bodies not named Kerbin do not work. cbNameLater won't work just displayName

Thank you!

I was using cbNameLater and DisplayName. Not sure why, but I must have forgotten to remove it.

It works a treat now :) just some cloud shadow flickering, can probably be resolved on my end by turning off the shadowmaterial.

sf3FDps.png

Edited by Gameslinx

9 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Thank you!

I was using cbNameLater and DisplayName. Not sure why, but I must have forgotten to remove it.

It works a treat now :) just some cloud shadow flickering, can probably be resolved on my end by turning off the shadowmaterial.

If you mean flicker at the main menu, that's a known issue (caused by EVE not knowing when to create clouds on a planet and sometimes creating them twice when Kopernicus is fiddling with the main menu at the same time EVE is). I wouldn't turn off the shadowMaterial just to "fix" the main menu as the problem should never happen in-game.

On 2017-5-31 at 10:11 AM, The White Guardian said:

Looks like a standard UVNoise animation-enabled cloudlayer, which is something not commonly used by cloud packs for main cloud layers and is often used for effects instead. Thus I believe it's the default EVE 'BoulderCo' configuration.

Is there an easy way to implement something similar in my own game? I do not know how to make EVE .configs, I can barely add a cloud layer to be honest...