[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

@Waz I decided to test again the Terrain feature of EVE, in the hope that this time i would be able to add some detail textures to the surface of the Earth. Let's begin.

Basic config setup:

EVE_TERRAIN
{
  OBJECT
  {
      body = Earth
      terrainMaterial
      {
          _DetailScale = 10
          _OceanDepthFactor = 0.002
          _SpecularPower = 50.0
          _SpecularColor = 127,127,127,255
          _MinLight = 0.5
          _DetailVertScale = 250
          _DetailVertTex = 
          _DetailTex = RSSVE/Assets/RSSTextures/EarthSurface
          _Color = 255,255,255,255
          _MainTex
          {
              value = RSSVE/Assets/RSSTextures/EarthSurface
          }
      }
  }
}

A very basic Terrain config file, just the detail texture is set as a custom field (the rest are automatically created by the Terrain Manager itself).

Loading KSP proceeds as expected (no EVE hiccups or related NullRefs). But upon entering the flight/map/tracking station scene the texture is not applied. Opening the EVE interface and opting to reapply the config, i am greeted with the following error message:

[LOG 00:07:02.243] [EVE TerrainManager]: Unable to parse config node:
OBJECT
{
	body = Earth
	terrainMaterial
	{
		_DetailScale = 10
		_SpecularPower = 50.0
		_MinLight = 0.5
		_DetailVertScale = 250
		_DetailVertTex = 
		_Color = 255,255,255,255
		_MainTex
		{
		}
	}
}

[LOG 00:07:02.246] EVEManager: Issue loading TerrainManager! Error:
UnityEngine.UnityException: Unable to apply node! ---> System.InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
  at Utils.MaterialManager+<>c.<SaveTextures>b__12_0 (System.Object x) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateSelectIterator>c__Iterator10`2[System.Object,System.String].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String].AddEnumerable (IEnumerable`1 enumerable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String]..ctor (IEnumerable`1 collection) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[String] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Utils.MaterialManager.SaveTextures (UnityEngine.Material material) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Terrain.TerrainPQS.Apply (System.String body, Terrain.TerrainMaterial terrainMaterial, Terrain.OceanMaterial oceanMaterial) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Terrain.TerrainObject.Apply () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GenericEVEManager`1[T].ApplyConfigNode (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.EVEManagerBase.Apply () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at EVEManager.EVEManagerBase.LoadConfig () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GenericEVEManager`1[T].Setup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GlobalEVEManager.Setup (Boolean late) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

From the trace-back the error seems to happen inside the MaterialManager class and, more specifically, within the SaveTextures() function. I will provide the relative KSP log files upon request.

Hope that you will take a look at it (possibly for the next version?). This feature is too good to leave it broken, at least for our small RSS/RO/RP-0 community...

• 3 weeks later...

This mod is great. I really wish this kind of thing was stock, it makes the game so beautiful and adds a ton of immersion, especially on Eve (what a coincidence!).

I did a few searches and couldn't find anything about it, but last time I checked the clouds obscure resource overlays, especially on Eve. Is there a workaround for this?

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I've done a bit of searching, and may just be missing what's right in front of me.  If I make a rescale, is there an MM patch I can make to raise the volumetric clouds as well?

Yep, and you do it just like any other MM cfg and target the altitude of the cloud layer you want to change. I'll post one for you in a little bit 

Edited by Galileo

@EVE_CLOUDS
{
	@OBJECT
	{
		@alltitude =* 2
	}
}

@Galileo @Anyone Could I do something like this?  Can I somehow specify the object like "@OBJECT[Kerbin-clouds1]"?  Would the above adjust all altitudes in all OBJECTS in EVE_CLOUDS?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by klgraham1013

I'm wondering how I can get thick clouds on Tekto from OPM with this mod. I don't like how Poodmund's Tekto looks, and OPMClouds caused a ModuleManager error and seemed to break all my OPM textures (had to do a complete reinstall to fix).

Is there a config file I can drop in somewhere to give those clouds? Thanks for any help.

12 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

@Galileo Okay.  Think I got it.  Right now just testing a few things.

@EVE_CLOUDS
{
	@OBJECT[Kerbin-clouds1]
	{
		@altitude = 4800
	}
}

Just testing if I need to add AFTER[SigDim2].

edit:  Yep.  Looks like I do.

SigmaDimension has a parameter to adjust the altitude of clouds.

8 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

SigmaDimension has a parameter to adjust the altitude of clouds.

I believe @Sigma88 mentioned it wasn't the volumetric clouds though?  Just the 2D clouds?

Well, Dimensions definitely changes @altitude = n .  So, maybe I don't need to worry about the clouds?

Edited by klgraham1013

22 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

I believe @Sigma88 mentioned it wasn't the volumetric clouds though?  Just the 2D clouds?

Well, Dimensions definitely changes @altitude = n .  So, maybe I don't need to worry about the clouds?

Hm - at least I have doubled Kerbin in size and still have volumetric clouds where they should be.

Since EVE - as far as I see it - gives the altitude for the clouds and not the distance from the core ... ?

5 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

Hm - at least I have doubled Kerbin in size and still have volumetric clouds where they should be.

Since EVE - as far as I see it - gives the altitude for the clouds and not the distance from the core ... ?

I think you're right.  I'm just a bit obsessive about things being correct.

10 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

I feel you. Never before have I been juggling mod configs as much as these last weeks to get an ounce of realism without compromising playability.

32 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

21 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

I feel you. Never before have I been juggling mod configs as much as these last weeks to get an ounce of realism without compromising playability.

SD should already handle clouds some way or another, if there is anything missing feel free to point out what your issues are and I can take a look at the code to add more options

5 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

SD should already handle clouds some way or another, if there is anything missing feel free to point out what your issues are and I can take a look at the code to add more options

Well, what does atmoVisualEffect exactly do then? Add extra altitude for all clouds? Just the cloud layer visible from high orbit? Or does it target the reentry effects?

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:05 AM, Zekario said:

I'm wondering how I can get thick clouds on Tekto from OPM with this mod. I don't like how Poodmund's Tekto looks, and OPMClouds caused a ModuleManager error and seemed to break all my OPM textures (had to do a complete reinstall to fix).

Is there a config file I can drop in somewhere to give those clouds? Thanks for any help.

Here you go, https://spacedock.info/mod/1436/tekto for default eve

Edited by ModerndayLink64

6 hours ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

Thanks, that looks great!

I do have a problem though, now all of the celestial bodies from OPM other than Tekto are made of yellow lines along the latitudes. This is similar to what happened when I tried OPMClouds, sans the MM error.

Here's an example image:

Wjf318r.jpg

Does anyone know why this could be happening? I am on 1.2.2.

3 hours ago, Zekario said:

I do have a problem though, now all of the celestial bodies from OPM other than Tekto are made of yellow lines along the latitudes. This is similar to what happened when I tried OPMClouds, sans the MM error.

Here's an example image:

Wjf318r.jpg

do you have any cloud configs for any of the other opm bodies?

Are you using windows, mac, or Linux?

13 minutes ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

do you have any cloud configs for any of the other opm bodies?

Are you using windows, mac, or Linux?

I don't have any configs for the others, though I did recently try out Poodmund's configs before removing them. Now that I think about it, that might be the cause. I'll try to mess around with it tomorrow.

I am on Linux, using the 64-bit version.

3 hours ago, Zekario said:

Here's an example image:

Wjf318r.jpg

Yes, it's an OpenGL limitation. The planet pack has to be structured in a certain way to allow for Macs and Linux to use dds textures. I made a version a while ago that makes the necessary changes and it is linked on the last couple of pages of OPMs thread. 

Here is the link

https://github.com/Galileo88/OPM_2.1/releases/tag/2.1

Edited by Galileo

Here is a quick explanation as too what is happening:

And just to clarify after you read this, the longer load time is like 10 seconds longer. I definitely was over exaggerating in my explanation. Hope that helps.

Edited by Galileo

On 6/7/2017 at 3:55 AM, Phineas Freak said:

@Waz I decided to test again the Terrain feature of EVE, in the hope that this time i would be able to add some detail textures to the surface of the Earth. Let's begin.

Basic config setup:

EVE_TERRAIN
{
  OBJECT
  {
      body = Earth
      terrainMaterial
      {
          _DetailScale = 10
          _SpecularPower = 50.0
          _MinLight = 0.5
          _DetailVertScale = 250
          _DetailVertTex = 
          _Color = 255,255,255,255
          _MainTex
          {
          }
      }
  }
}

A very basic Terrain config file, just the detail texture is set as a custom field (the rest are automatically created by the Terrain Manager itself).

Loading KSP proceeds as expected (no EVE hiccups or related NullRefs). But upon entering the flight/map/tracking station scene the texture is not applied. Opening the EVE interface and opting to reapply the config, i am greeted with the following error message:

[LOG 00:07:02.243] [EVE TerrainManager]: Unable to parse config node:
OBJECT
{
	body = Earth
	terrainMaterial
	{
		_DetailScale = 10
		_SpecularPower = 50.0
		_MinLight = 0.5
		_DetailVertScale = 250
		_DetailVertTex = 
		_Color = 255,255,255,255
		_MainTex
		{
		}
	}
}

[LOG 00:07:02.246] EVEManager: Issue loading TerrainManager! Error:
UnityEngine.UnityException: Unable to apply node! ---> System.InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
  at Utils.MaterialManager+<>c.<SaveTextures>b__12_0 (System.Object x) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateSelectIterator>c__Iterator10`2[System.Object,System.String].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String].AddEnumerable (IEnumerable`1 enumerable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String]..ctor (IEnumerable`1 collection) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[String] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Utils.MaterialManager.SaveTextures (UnityEngine.Material material) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Terrain.TerrainPQS.Apply (System.String body, Terrain.TerrainMaterial terrainMaterial, Terrain.OceanMaterial oceanMaterial) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Terrain.TerrainObject.Apply () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GenericEVEManager`1[T].ApplyConfigNode (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at EVEManager.EVEManagerBase.LoadConfig () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GenericEVEManager`1[T].Setup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GlobalEVEManager.Setup (Boolean late) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

From the trace-back the error seems to happen inside the MaterialManager class and, more specifically, within the SaveTextures() function. I will provide the relative KSP log files upon request.

Hope that you will take a look at it (possibly for the next version?). This feature is too good to leave it broken, at least for our small RSS/RO/RP-0 community...

The terrain textures have not worked in EVE since 1.0.5 and Waz has said in the past he doesn't plan to add it again because he feels EVE would be doing too much and not focusing on the main feature of this mod: clouds. He also said since kopernicus allows for terrain texture replacements (not as detailed, but does the job), there really wasn't a reason to do add it again. 

Edited by Galileo