[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

7 hours ago, Drowssap said:

I see, but I thought I had read somewhere that we didn't have to worry about the other things since EVE was updated.
Thank you anyway =]

Mods that are strictly implemented as configs (for example, SVE is configs for EVE and for Scatterer), will work fine if you use the new EVE. CKAN data is a bit weird - it lists SVE as only compatible up to KSP 1.6.9 for some reason.

2 hours ago, B15hop said:

Scatterer is definitely not working right. I am in waterworld..lol..

RVE is working nicely though. :D

Awesome! Thanks for such a quick update after 1.8!

I will second that, scatterer definitely is not ready for 1.8.

Removed for the moment.

6 hours ago, Abedshehabi said:

Even though EVE was updated for 1.8, this happens: 

https://imgur.com/a/ETOrzyY

Is this with the 1.8.0-1 or the 1.8.0-2 build? I saw effects like that until I rebuilt the shaders.

6 hours ago, Abedshehabi said:

Also, if it's not too much to ask, is it okay if you create new configs for 1.8? The most recent configs come from EVE 1.2.2-1.

What for? The configs have not changed. If I change them, I'll make a new config. For example, if someone contributed an aurora or nice looking bump-mapped clouds...

Edited by Waz

10 hours ago, Waz said:

Is this with the 1.8.0-1 or the 1.8.0-2 build? I saw effects like that until I rebuilt the shaders.

What for? The configs have not changed. If I change them, I'll make a new config. For example, if someone contributed an aurora or nice looking bump-mapped clouds...

1. I'm not exactly sure which version I'm on. I'll try downloading EVE 1.8.0-2 then see if the problem persists.

2. I thought that since the configs were from 1.2.2, they would be outdated. If they don't need to be updated, then I guess that's fine.

UPDATE: I installed EVE 1.8.0-2, and the problem is fixed!  

Edited by Abedshehabi

Hey, I just installed this mod after a long hiatus from KSP. I'm running a GTX1070 and an I7-4790, with 16GB of RAM, and yet I'm getting a massive FPS drop, from a stable 70-100 during vanilla games, even with a lot of mods, to 35 at best in the launchpad/runway with just this and no other mods (for some reason, the KSC and main menu are still at a normal FPS). Is this normal, or is something messy going on with my game/mod configs? I've seen people run this with lower-end PCs than mine while getting higher FPS counts.

I've tried manually disabling every setting on the in-game mod menu that comes with this. But even with all the features disabled, and relaunching the same craft (of course, applying the changes as well) the FPS remains the same.

EDIT: I figured out the problem rather quickly. It seems like installing it through CKAN causes some issue with the performance. I installed it manually and got a steady 60 FPS again. If anyone else has the same issue, well here you go.

Edited by moyashii

22 minutes ago, moyashii said:

EDIT: I figured out the problem rather quickly. It seems like installing it through CKAN causes some issue with the performance. I installed it manually and got a steady 60 FPS again. If anyone else has the same issue, well here you go.

That's extremely unlikely to be the actual fix - installing via CKAN or from the github or curseforge release is installing the exact same files. Somehow the act of re-installing fixed something for you.

53 minutes ago, Waz said:

That's extremely unlikely to be the actual fix - installing via CKAN or from the github or curseforge release is installing the exact same files. Somehow the act of re-installing fixed something for you.

It could have been. Maybe CKAN messed up the install? It's happened to me before on other mods, so I wouldn't doubt it. I re-installed it through CKAN a couple times but the problem persisted, though I didn't bother to delete the actual download files so that's most likely why. It's working perfectly fine now anyhow. Thank you for maintaining the mod! Been using EVE throughout the years.

EDIT: Another update, the FPS issues go away if I install it through CKAN, but only if I remove the stock config files that come with the mod. Funnily enough CKAN allows me to remove it without also removing EVE. It doesn't break anything, and the clouds and mod itself still work fine. 

Edited by moyashii

3 hours ago, moyashii said:

EDIT: Another update, the FPS issues go away if I install it through CKAN, but only if I remove the stock config files that come with the mod. Funnily enough CKAN allows me to remove it without also removing EVE. It doesn't break anything, and the clouds and mod itself still work fine. 

The sample configs aren't particularly optimized or anything, and shouldn't be installed if you're using SVE or something. If you've got clouds, you've got some kind of config installed.

I'm currently working on a "simple UI" dialog that popups up from the icon and just allows quick toggling of clouds (eg. to see Eve (planet) resource overlay) and which shows what configs are installed (or if no config is installed), which will hopefully avoid some of the common shoot-self-in-foot scenarios.

Hi there. I'm having a lot of trouble setting EVE up. It didn't work right from the start, and my messing with it just made things worse, so fresh dl and install it is.

Firstly, on github there seems to be a leap from versions for KSP 1.42 to 1.7..

I have 1.61. Can I use EVE, and if so which should I choose?

Second question (I noticed this while messing around), the texture pointers point to eg. RSSVE/Textures/MainTextures/EarthCloudsXn

But the file EarthCloudsXn.dds is located in the directory RSSVE/Textures/MainTextures/EarthClouds_HR

(and _LR)

Is this intentional, or because something went wrong with my install?

Thanks muchly!

10 hours ago, Antstar said:

Hi there. I'm having a lot of trouble setting EVE up. It didn't work right from the start, and my messing with it just made things worse, so fresh dl and install it is.

Firstly, on github there seems to be a leap from versions for KSP 1.42 to 1.7..

I have 1.61. Can I use EVE, and if so which should I choose?

I upload a new version whenever the previous one stops working, so if you're on KSP 1.6.1, then you'll want to use the EVE version for a KSP version no later than that (so in this case, EVE 1.4.2-2). I hope the logic of that makes sense. Or just use CurseForge or CKAN, which tell you what versions the mod works for.

It's far easier to use CKAN than to try to work out dependencies and everything yourself... as you've discovered ;-)

1 hour ago, Waz said:

I upload a new version whenever the previous one stops working, so if you're on KSP 1.6.1, then you'll want to use the EVE version for a KSP version no later than that (so in this case, EVE 1.4.2-2). I hope the logic of that makes sense. Or just use CurseForge or CKAN, which tell you what versions the mod works for.

It's far easier to use CKAN than to try to work out dependencies and everything yourself... as you've discovered ;-)

TBH CKAN doesn't work well with RP-1, or should I say the opposite. The release isn't fully ready - may never be - and I really wanted to move on from 1.31

Incidently that was the last time I saw clouds and I never saw an aurora. Now I have some white screen problem, prehaps because I fiddled with it. I will just d/l from github and replace the RSSVE and EVE.

Thanks for the mod!

Just now, Space boy said:

I downloaded the EVE plugin and the config files and moved them to the ksp gamedata folder but it doesnt work. This is actually my first mod. I have updated ksp to 1.8 and downloaded the correct version for the mod but it still doesnt work.

I installed it last night using CKAN (MUCH easier to manage mods; I highly recommend you use this instead) and it worked just fine for me.

Attaching the "KSP.log" file is pretty much the first step when asking for help with a mod which appears to be not working as intended.  It gives valuable information about whether the mod got loaded, which version, and any potential errors.

Next, please tell us exactly how you installed it - if you did it manually perhaps you accidentally copied it to the wrong location.

4 minutes ago, micha said:

I installed it last night using CKAN (MUCH easier to manage mods; I highly recommend you use this instead) and it worked just fine for me.

Attaching the "KSP.log" file is pretty much the first step when asking for help with a mod which appears to be not working as intended.  It gives valuable information about whether the mod got loaded, which version, and any potential errors.

Next, please tell us exactly how you installed it - if you did it manually perhaps you accidentally copied it to the wrong location.

I downloaded the mod manually and I downloaded it from curseforge.

Is there a relatively easy way to make configs to support other planets, or would I have to write an entire mod for that? I've been using XPC and OPM (in 1.7.3, for reference) and I'd like to use EVE but I won't use it if the stock planets will look drastically better than the modded ones, since the difference would be far too obvious.

17 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

Is there a relatively easy way to make configs to support other planets, or would I have to write an entire mod for that? I've been using XPC and OPM (in 1.7.3, for reference) and I'd like to use EVE but I won't use it if the stock planets will look drastically better than the modded ones, since the difference would be far too obvious.

The easiest way is to use one already made. See the first post in this thread. Note that EVE Configs are compatible all the way back to KSP 1.2, so you can safely use old configs.

This is from another thread and Galileo told me it was something about EVE so I might as well put it here.

I got a weird bug while reverting a quicksave.

The clouds no longer cover Kerbin as if it were a layer wrapped around a sphere, but as if it were a filter when looking at Kerbin. And they completely broke in Map view.

odMrPN2.jpg

xs3J1Bx.jpg

RMkCWx1.jpg

These are the mods I have:

ARhvcm2.png

Still even if it's a software bug or not I gotta upgrade from my poor little FX-8320.

Hi Waz,

It says for 1.8 that it comes in two Zip files, however when clicking on the GitHub link above there only appears to be the 'EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-1.8.0.2.zip' plus the two source code files. However, I can see a '...-Configs-1.2.2.1.zip' download under the version 'Environmental Visual Enhancements 1.2.2-1'.

Am I missing something, being a bit thick, or is it ok to use the 1.2.2.1 config files?

Cheers

Ian