[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

12 minutes ago, Blacks said:

@Avera9eJoe from what i know you can't turn off / on a cloud layer from UI but for a quick solution when you are thinkering, if that it distract you, make that to be 100% transparent or set altitude value to 0 (ground, not know if it can be set negative value) or ad a very small scale value till you done but make self not to set back value when you done :) with it be ze most hard part :D

p.s. a toggle off / on cloud layer it will be a nice future to be implement :cool:

It's not about removing the clouds layer per say... I love the auroras but the textures are easily visible on the day side of the planet in edition to night which is a bit odd to me. It'd be cool if you could lower their visibility on the day side? It's a bit of an odd request though. More importantly I'd like to see lightning :P - will be tinkering with adding lightning sometime.

2 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

not about removing the clouds layer

you will not permanent remove that layer, you will just make it to not be seen at that time, changing 1 single value, when you work to editing what you want, that i say on end having a toggle on / off option (with out permanent remove) it will be nice but that it will require some work to change UI & how Eve work

to lower visibility only on day time, how you was say, it need to be implement something similar how it work CityLights & that segment from EVE i say is very sensitive aka i remember how much trouble was generate with a previous release, anyway i give you a quick solution or a walk around option what came in my mind for much more only Waz it can do something real :)

17 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Is it possible to make Aurora's only visible at night? Currently they shine on both the day side and the night and it's getting a bit distracting in my editing :P Only a minor complaint though.

Auroras don't only come out at night. How would they? The basic problem is luminance range, but you can do the best you can by dimming down the aurora to more realistic levels, not the neon ones people are using. Doing more would require some kind of HDR. At least it's better than before, when they were only visible on the day side!

Edited by Waz

As Waz has said above, if you really tank the min light value but then lower the alpha value of the layer, you'll have something that will constantly be visible throughout the day/night cycle but will be dim during the day due to the almost transparent layer. At night when the light contrast will be higher, it should be more visible. 

12 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

As Waz has said above, if you really tank the min light value 

Indeed, for aurora, it should logically be 1 (i.e. 100% emissive, no diffuse), as aurora particles are not significantly lit by the sun (unlike clouds, which are entirely lit by the sun, hence the default of 0 for minLight.

Hey I hope I don't get hit with a big sloppy wet fish for asking this but...

Is anyone else having an issue where the clouds will completely stop working with the newest version of scatterer? (v0.300)

Edit

I am such an idiot! I was moving too fast and I just loaded it up real quick and had to bug out last night and I posted before I got another good look at everything. Sorry for the pointless post guys.

Edited by V8jester

• 2 weeks later...

I've had no problems until today when I loaded up my save and saw... the ocean is gone.  I thought I could just change some settings but I can't seem to fix it and, what's worse, is that when I turn the screen or anything the game stops running for a split second every few seconds.  Then that split second gets worse and worse and worse until finally the game locks and crashes.  I've not seen anything like it and it certainly wasn't doing it before.  I haven't changed anything as far as new mods on my save game except to update them on CKAN, Kerbal wasn't updated, and a new save game I started didn't seem to have the problem.  Uninstalling this mod seems to fix it but then everything looks rather boring compared to how it used to look lol.  Any ideas?

9 minutes ago, Bored971 said:

I've had no problems until today when I loaded up my save and saw... the ocean is gone.  I thought I could just change some settings but I can't seem to fix it and, what's worse, is that when I turn the screen or anything the game stops running for a split second every few seconds.  Then that split second gets worse and worse and worse until finally the game locks and crashes.  I've not seen anything like it and it certainly wasn't doing it before.  I haven't changed anything as far as new mods on my save game except to update them on CKAN, Kerbal wasn't updated, and a new save game I started didn't seem to have the problem.  Uninstalling this mod seems to fix it but then everything looks rather boring compared to how it used to look lol.  Any ideas?

Logs? mod list? screenshot of your gamedata? Ckan causes some weird things to happen. Did you install SVE by chance and the latest scatterer? if so, they do not work together currently and you need to install it manually.

@Waz Hey, Cheers for taking up EVE. I was wondering if you had a solution to the EVE city lights problem that was in 1.1.3. The city lights textures would appear though/above the clouds, The main reason I want to know is because I can use the city lights plugin to map out high res tiled terrain, it looked awesome and could be applied to any planet as long as I mapped out where the textures would go, using multiple city light main.dds files. It's how I done this, making the land very detailed, Big smiley face until the bug decided to show up, when it struck, the land would glitch out. The clouds would disappear behind the textures and look terrible. The only way I knew of to resolve it was to orbit around to the dark side of the planet, Alt+0, and click apply on the clouds gui. I just wanted to know if it's been fixed, If not, that's okay, I'll just stick to my new way of improving terrain.

Edited by ufindbatman

12 hours ago, ufindbatman said:

@Waz Hey, Cheers for taking up EVE. I was wondering if you had a solution to the EVE city lights problem that was in 1.1.3. The city lights textures would appear though/above the clouds, The main reason I want to know is because I can use the city lights plugin to map out high res tiled terrain, it looked awesome and could be applied to any planet as long as I mapped out where the textures would go, using multiple city light main.dds files. It's how I done this, making the land very detailed, Big smiley face until the bug decided to show up, when it struck, the land would glitch out. The clouds would disappear behind the textures and look terrible. The only way I knew of to resolve it was to orbit around to the dark side of the planet, Alt+0, and click apply on the clouds gui. I just wanted to know if it's been fixed, If not, that's okay, I'll just stick to my new way of improving terrain.

There is a glitch where citylights appear duplicated higher, which sounds like what you mean. I've never been able to reliably reproduce it though, so haven't had a go at fixing it yet. If you (or anyone) have a save where it reliably happens for you using just the example configs and no other mods, I'd be glad to have a crack at it.

Edited by Waz

1 hour ago, Waz said:

There is a glitch where citylights appear duplicated higher, which sounds like what you mean. I've never been able to reliably reproduce it though, so haven't had a go at fixing it yet. If you (or anyone) have a save where it reliably happens for you using just the example configs and no other mods, I'd be glad to have a crack at it.

I don't know what reliably causes it anymore.. I thought I did at one point but I can't seem to remember how.  I think it has to do with switching vessels orbiting around kerbin.. it's not as noticeable to me any more though

2 hours ago, Waz said:

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

I don't know what reliably causes it anymore.. I thought I did at one point but I can't seem to remember how.  I think it has to do with switching vessels orbiting around kerbin.. it's not as noticeable to me any more though

What I noticed with my old overhaul is the bug was always there, it was on one side of the planet at a time (if the glitch was on the dayside, the nightside would be glitch free and vice versa), except It's very difficult to tell it's on the night side. I could bring up the glitch by orbiting to the dayside of the planet and clicking apply on the cloud or city lights gui (can't remember which one) same thing for night side. Do you think rbray added it in, so on the night side the city lights wouldn't disappear behind the clouds and became always visible. Except sometimes it glitches and activates on the wrong side of the planet? I'm just throwing out idea's, I'll have to load it up and check it out more. 

2 minutes ago, ufindbatman said:

What I noticed with my old overhaul is the bug was always there, it was on one side of the planet at a time (if the glitch was on the dayside, the nightside would be glitch free and vice versa), except It's very difficult to tell it's on the night side. I could bring up the glitch by orbiting to the dayside of the planet and clicking apply on the cloud or city lights gui (can't remember which one) same thing for night side. Do you think rbray added it in, so on the night side the city lights wouldn't disappear behind the clouds and became always visible. Except sometimes it glitches and activates on the wrong side of the planet? I'm just throwing out idea's, I'll have to load it up and check it out more. 

That's interesting. I've not been able to imagine how an ever-so-slightly larger sphere could exist upon which the lights are painted.... but maybe it's not: maybe it is the same sized sphere, slightly offset by a few hundred meters (further around the orbit maybe?) - this would mean one side had the problem while the other side it was underground!! It would also mean that sometimes it would be obvious, while at other times (on the sides), the two sets of lights would smoosh together.

Edited by Waz

37 minutes ago, Waz said:

That's interesting. I've not been able to imagine how an ever-so-slightly larger sphere could exist upon which the lights are painted.... but maybe it's not: maybe it is the same sized sphere, slightly offset by a few hundred meters (further around the orbit maybe?) - this would mean one side had the problem while the other side it was underground!! It would also mean that sometimes it would be obvious, while at other times (on the sides), the two sets of lights would smoosh together.

Wow, Brilliant!! That makes sense. Is that how the city lights actually work, two spheres? or is that an educated guess. I always wondered, but I don't see any fault in what you've said, it's a smart way to do it. Also I had another question. Is there a feature in eve clouds to make them bright on night side? for auroras, if so how bright can they go?

Edited by ufindbatman

1 hour ago, ufindbatman said:

Wow, Brilliant!! That makes sense. Is that how the city lights actually work, two spheres? or is that an educated guess. I always wondered, but I don't see any fault in what you've said, it's a smart way to do it. Also I had another question. Is there a feature in eve clouds to make them bright on night side? for auroras, if so how bright can they go?

Just set the minlight setting to 1 in the settings that makes clouds glow on the dark side. You can make them pretty bright

10 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Just set the minlight setting to 1 in the settings that makes clouds glow on the dark side. You can make them pretty bright

Thanks for the info. I have an Idea, please tell me if you think it would work. To get my 64k textures in game I use EVE clouds cubemaps. All my land textures are is a cloud layer, which appears once you reach scaled space. For my cloud shadow, it's just a second layer of my cloud texture colored dark grey, and it sits just above the earth textures. If I were to add a city lights map/main, cube-mapped 16k texture as a main cloud layer and have a texture with 100s of lights as the detail. Do you think I could have it sit above and make it bright along with @Wazs uv noise, get the effect of twinkling. The layer would activate at scaled space.

Edited by ufindbatman

17 minutes ago, ufindbatman said:

I have an Idea, tell me what you think. To get my 64k textures in game I use EVE clouds cubemaps. All my land textures are is a cloud layer which appears once in scaled space at an altitude of 1, for my cloud shadow, it's just a second layer of my cloud texture colored dark grey, and it sits just above the earth textures. If I were to add a city lights map/main texture as a main cloud layer and have a texture with 100s of lights. Do you think I could have it sit above and make it bright along with @Wazs uv noise, give the effect of twinkling. The layer would activate at scaled space.

I think that would be far too heavy performance wise.. you could try though

Edited by Galileo

18 hours ago, ufindbatman said:

Wow, Brilliant!! That makes sense. Is that how the city lights actually work, two spheres? or is that an educated guess. I always wondered, but I don't see any fault in what you've said, it's a smart way to do it. 

They're rendered additively to the ground geometry, so not an actual sphere but rather a "Procedural Quad Sphere". What's a guess is if this is the cause of the bug :-)

Edited by Waz

On 10/18/2016 at 4:51 PM, parameciumkid said:

Is anyone else getting warning messages when the KSP Main Menu loads about two asset bundles having the same name?

I read the rest of the page and the page after and it seems no one ever acknowledged or followed up on this post. I see it too with just EVE (no configs) and Squad folders in GameData. So I assume it's not an issue? I think by now if it were there would have been something done about it...

1 hour ago, Drew Kerman said:

I read the rest of the page and the page after and it seems no one ever acknowledged or followed up on this post. I see it too with just EVE (no configs) and Squad folders in GameData. So I assume it's not an issue? I think by now if it were there would have been something done about it...

Yes, it can be safely ignored. I think it's one of the minor fixes I've done but not yet shipped (since nothing significant and still KSP compatible).

Hey 

I don't have a problem but a suggestion.

As I know, eeloo is an ice moon. But it doesn't feel like one, because if you look up, you only see the dark space. If you cold add a thick solid cloud on the planet (like on this planet: so it looks like an atmoshpere)ice-planet-in-star-wars-episode-7.jpgme and many others would be really happy and would like eeloo much more. Hope it is possible, and thanks if you think about it :).

49 minutes ago, Cyb3rius said:

Hey 

I don't have a problem but a suggestion.

As I know, eeloo is an ice moon. But it doesn't feel like one, because if you look up, you only see the dark space. If you cold add a thick solid cloud on the planet (like on this planet: so it looks like an atmoshpere)ice-planet-in-star-wars-episode-7.jpgme and many others would be really happy and would like eeloo much more. Hope it is possible, and thanks if you think about it :).

Eeloo's radius is only 10,000m larger than the Mun's. I have a hard time imagining how it could have an atmosphere, especially since it is so cold that a lot of atmosphereic gasses would freeze. No reason you _couldn't_ add a file to make it have clouds, though.