Parts list flicker/editor HUD elements disappearing

1 hour ago, Jiraiyah said:

i really hope they fix this re~ally fast and get a patch or an update out, game is not really playable with mods any more

Yeah, the flickering is *really* bad for me, headache inducing :(

51 minutes ago, Tivec said:

Yeah, the flickering is *really* bad for me, headache inducing :(

same, my only motivation right now is to add all the mods i want and organize the game and filter extension grouping, then wait for a patch to come up so that i can move the whole mods part to the new patch game :D

Ok, i have this problem and ive read through all the reply's so far and everything i would have tested has been done.

But this is something i havent seen in this thread (i admit tho that i didnt check every screen shot to be sure).  I have load default crafts on, so was going to load up a default one to play around with in career mode when i noticed this gui artifact.

2016-10-21_09-30-52.jpg

You'll notice at the bottom it added part of the load gui there.  When that would pop up, all the side and toolbar would disappear. If i scroll down on the ships, that would disappear on the bottom and the side bar and toolbar would show back up again and look normal.

I figured id just toss up this info since i didnt see it anywhere else to help track down what the problem is. 

I don't just have a flicker in the menues, I also have a certain, random flicker in the game. It primarily is the UI which flickers but at some points it also seems to affect vessel parts or planetary surfaces.

Don't know if that has been mentioned yet. Sometimes the flicker disappears completely and sometimes it goes up to 4-5 Hz which is rather unplayable than annoying. I have yet to find a relation between content displayed on the screen and the flicker frequency - so far it seems to be random.

Playing on ubuntu, i5-4690 with integrated graphics and 16 GB RAM.

Got the same here, only my complete GUI disappears in the VAB and SPH after a launch, so basicly I assemble one craft, test runs running via a mod goes great, after I'm satisfied with my design, I launch it, complete my mission etc etc. But after the launch, the problem begins... GUI flickers in the science building, and in the VAB and SPH it just disappears. The only thing I can see are the parts. 

And indeed, I have a lot of part mods, so it can be possible the reason for this bug. I currently play in opengl mode since it runs my RVE and scatterer better, but I will try to launch in DX11. Maybe that solves some problems. 

Getting back to the main menu and loading op the game again doesn't solve the problem for me. Only when I re-launch the whole game, the problem is gone untill I've launched my mission.

GUYS! I might have found the solution/fix!

When playing another game from steam (Sid Meiers Civilization VI), it freezes during the loading screen, at least it get stuck there. So I was looking for some fixes, and came to the following solution.

Exclude the steam directory from Windows defender.

It worked for Sid Meiers Civilization VI, first I had only the game folder excluded, but after some shower-thoughts, I realized it could working for KSP to. Doesn't some logical at all, but yeah, nothing to lose. So I excluded the whole steam-folder. And wow, it just worked. I don't know for how long. But first 100% of the time after my first launch the GUI bugged, now I've done some test runs, launched for crafts, and my GUI still works perfectly :):) 

Do exclude steam/game folder, go to windows defender ->settings->Excluded files and location.

Let me know if it works for you guys too!

1 hour ago, DrLicor said:

GUYS! I might have found the solution/fix!

When playing another game from steam (Sid Meiers Civilization VI), it freezes during the loading screen, at least it get stuck there. So I was looking for some fixes, and came to the following solution.

Exclude the steam directory from Windows defender.

It worked for Sid Meiers Civilization VI, first I had only the game folder excluded, but after some shower-thoughts, I realized it could working for KSP to. Doesn't some logical at all, but yeah, nothing to lose. So I excluded the whole steam-folder. And wow, it just worked. I don't know for how long. But first 100% of the time after my first launch the GUI bugged, now I've done some test runs, launched for crafts, and my GUI still works perfectly :):) 

Do exclude steam/game folder, go to windows defender ->settings->Excluded files and location.

Let me know if it works for you guys too!

cant and wont work - simple reason: its a game bug that has been already confirmed.

another reason: its confirmed on linux

next reason: i dont use windows Defender

another reason: partlist is in ram and not read "all the time" from disk..

bored to continue this list

Edited by Speadge

1 hour ago, Speadge said:

cant and wont work - simple reason: its a game bug that has been already confirmed.

another reason: its confirmed on linux

next reason: i dont use windows Defender

another reason: partlist is in ram and not read "all the time" from disk..

bored to continue this list

Yep thats what I thought, but I had nothing too lose either. And I also don't know why it makes the bug disappear for me but as long as it works I'm a happy man. I didn't change anything about the install or run option, the only thing I changed was the windows Defender thing. 

Sure can. Have built a fix for the issue - which is caused by timing and items being drawn in the wrong order - not related to any particular mod, etc (you can actually cause it by duplicating stock parts enough) the fix has been tested by the QA team and we gave it to the Exp team earlier this week to also confirm the fix is working - as well as some other good ones too :)

As much as I'd like to I cant give you a date, but I know how much it annoys me when I play and we are pushing hard all round

Just for clarity, the draw order affects the entire UI in editor so all the 2D elements can flicker depending on your machine specs, no of parts, mouse movement, etc. And there is also a mem thing wit the highlighter in there that makes it worse over time - that allso is fixed in 1.2.1

6 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

Sure can. Have built a fix for the issue - which is caused by timing and items being drawn in the wrong order - not related to any particular mod, etc (you can actually cause it by duplicating stock parts enough) the fix has been tested by the QA team and we gave it to the Exp team earlier this week to also confirm the fix is working - as well as some other good ones too :)

As much as I'd like to I cant give you a date, but I know how much it annoys me when I play and we are pushing hard all round

Just for clarity, the draw order affects the entire UI in editor so all the 2D elements can flicker depending on your machine specs, no of parts, mouse movement, etc. And there is also a mem thing wit the highlighter in there that makes it worse over time - that allso is fixed in 1.2.1

I had a hunch that it was related to draw order and other stuff like that in unity, honestly, unity's new gui system is powerful but if you handle it even slightly in bad way, it can bite you down the road or cause interesting memory issues that you never thought can be from GUI, thanks for progress upgrade sir, and now i can wait for Exp team for at least another week or so with ease of mind :D woot woot

also, assumin 1.2.1 is all bug fixes, i think all the mods that were updated for 1.2 will work am i wrong?

Edited by Jiraiyah

caused by timing and items being drawn in the wrong order

And there is also a mem thing wit the highlighter in there that makes it worse over time

@TriggerAu Both of your statements above match what I see exactly (Linux + OpenGL/Nvidia) so I think you have got it sorted. Good to hear, thanks Mate.

23 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

I had a hunch that it was related to draw order and other stuff like that in unity, honestly, unity's new gui system is powerful but if you handle it even slightly in bad way, it can bite you down the road or cause interesting memory issues that you never thought can be from GUI, thanks for progress upgrade sir, and now i can wait for Exp team for at least another week or so with ease of mind :D woot woot

also, assumin 1.2.1 is all bug fixes, i think all the mods that were updated for 1.2 will work am i wrong?

From the fixes done I don't believe there will be any issues caused, but as always we should give each mod author time to check themselves :) plus @JPLRepo has been doing a good job doccing up adjustments for 1.2 for mod authors too

56 minutes ago, steve_v said:

@TriggerAu: I hate to be "That guy", but this isn't completely solved... I'm still seeing it with the parts list scroll-bar. Thankfully it appears to be only the scroll bar this time.

hehe, You're not "that guy" mate - is all good. I assume the scrolling still works, etc , just the bar is disappearing?

1 hour ago, TriggerAu said:

Thanks, having trouble reproing that one here, but will keep trying

well, tbh, now i can close my eyes on that small little bad boy flickering in the parts list and start playing the game, but something has changed in 1.2.1 that could break kopernicus?

edit : by the way, why showing the scroll at all? can't we just use transparent textures for it or remove the graphics of it some how? after all, doesn't the scroll wheel on the mouse work?

Edited by Jiraiyah

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.