[1.12.x] AntennaSleep v1.1: "Snooze" button for deployable antennas so they don't get destroyed during reentry

Snark

Any chance it’s possible to make the timer ‘smart’?

Meaning: Sleep until after an upcoming event that would break antenna? I don’t always know how long until re-entry starts and I’ve had times where I had to put them to sleep again. 

11 hours ago, Jognt said:

Any chance it’s possible to make the timer ‘smart’?

Meaning: Sleep until after an upcoming event that would break antenna? I don’t always know how long until re-entry starts and I’ve had times where I had to put them to sleep again. 

It might in principle be possible to do something like that,and it's a reasonable thing to ask. :)

However, I'm disinclined to go that way, for a couple of reasons. First, it would involve significant time and effort for me, for a feature that I myself don't have a lot of use or desire for (so not much "payoff" for my own gameplay). Second, it would start to get into more "automating things" territory, which I specifically don't want-- I like KSP not to be automated, which is why I never use mods like MechJeb myself.

So it's a good suggestion, and thank you for that, but not something I'm likely to take on any time soon.

FYI, if you'd like more of a heads-up for "when will re-entry start", have you considered BetterBurnTime? It has a feature where it'll display a countdown for a few minutes before hitting atmosphere, so that would help take some of the guesswork out.

atmosphere.png

19 minutes ago, Snark said:

FYI, if you'd like more of a heads-up for "when will re-entry start", have you considered BetterBurnTime? It has a feature where it'll display a countdown for a few minutes before hitting atmosphere, so that would help take some of the guesswork out.

atmosphere.png

..... I have BetterBurnTime ..... That would explain a lot, since if BBT isn't showing that message that explains why I also had to re-sleep my antenna1. I'll keep an eye on it when I next play again! Thanks!

1Because if BBT isn't showing it, then that means re-entry isn't close to happening, so sleeping my antenna at that point would be too early. Which is exactly what I'm seeing happen. Woohoo. PEBKAC!

1 hour ago, Jognt said:

..... I have BetterBurnTime ..... That would explain a lot, since if BBT isn't showing that message that explains why I also had to re-sleep my antenna1. I'll keep an eye on it when I next play again! Thanks!

1Because if BBT isn't showing it, then that means re-entry isn't close to happening, so sleeping my antenna at that point would be too early. Which is exactly what I'm seeing happen. Woohoo. PEBKAC!

What I usually do in my own gameplay is to wait until just a few seconds before hitting atmosphere and then sleep the antenna.

FYI, this is getting kinda off-topic for this thread since it's about BBT, but just so you're aware:  by default, BBT waits until you're 15 minutes from hitting atmosphere before it shows the warning.  However, if you'd like it to be something different, it's configurable.  After running KSP with BBT once, there will be a config file in BBT's "PluginData" folder.  Just find the MaxTimeToAtmosphereEntry value and change it to something other than 900 (seconds) if that's how you roll. The changes will take effect the next time you start KSP.  ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.