Mac OS/OS X El Capitan 1.2 Lag Issue

Hello.

Today I installed Kerbal Space Program 1.2, but I immediately realised something was wrong. The game was really laggy, especially when building in the VAB. I've never had any lag issues in previous versions of KSP. Worth to note is that the same problem occurred while testing out the Pre-Release.

General Info

• OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
  • Steam Client on Fresh Install
  • No add-ons
  • Kerbal Space Program 1.2.0
  • 2560 x 1440 Resolution, Full Screen

Specifications

• iMac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
  • 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB

Are you missing something, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Edited by JonathanDahlq
More detailed description of issue.

I'm having the exact same problem, with specs very similar to yours. When I go into the VAB it first shows weird texturing (image attached), which fixes itself after a few seconds. Unfortunately, the lag while I'm in the VAB makes it unplayable for now. I wish I could revert back to the previous version, but so far haven't been able to find out how :(

1ZiXqAM.png

Looks like I was able to fix the issue by doing the steps here and setting:

minDistance = 3

maxSubdivision = 6

for KerbinOcean.

I figured as much when the lag only appeared if the ground was in view.

This wasn't an issue in the previous version at all for me, and I played without any issues with all default settings.

Similarly, I experienced UI lag after update to 1.2. The animation of kerbals when you opened the game was very choppy, reducing some texture quality helped slightly.

in VAB, averting the ground helps quite a lot! The issue isn't present when flying the spacecraft however.

Same problem here... Macbook PRO Retina 2014... 1.1.3 works perfectly. 1.2 UI lag, it's like slideshow in VAB.

No mods, several reinstalls. Unfortunately, Dendi's fix doesn't work for me. Went back to 1.1.3

Edited by pyrula

I'm having the same issue. I am able to resolve it somewhat by avoiding a view of the floor of the VAB and pointing the camera toward the back right corner, which tends to at least double my framerate. Never had this problem with earlier versions. Also having some minor lag in the opening menu, but I don't know if it's related. No mods. Fresh install of both steam, KSP, and the OS. 

Retina Macbook Pro mid-2012 running Sierra with GeForce GT 650M. 

Hey folks. I had this problem too - turning off the ground crew seems to have fixed it, or at least made it a lot better. Kind of a shame to have a deserted VAB but I'll take it for the sake of less lag.

Hope this helps.

12 minutes ago, KSK said:

Hey folks. I had this problem too - turning off the ground crew seems to have fixed it, or at least made it a lot better. Kind of a shame to have a deserted VAB but I'll take it for the sake of less lag.

Hope this helps.

it works, thanks, at least now it's playable, but as you said VAB is kind of a deserted place. Please devs have a look.

3 hours ago, emaier138 said:

How do we "turn off the ground crew"

Settings ---> General ----> Left hand column ----> second button from the top 'Show Space Center Crew'.

Deselect it. :)

19 hours ago, KSK said:

Hope this helps.

This solved my problem. Though, I still have (minor) lag during flight, which I never had before. While doing complex movements that's really disturbing. Still, thanks for solving my original problem.

It has to be a graphics card issue. Overheating or some driver-linked bottleneck. I have an 8-year-old Mac Pro and slightly newer Radeon 5770 - Geekbench tells me your specs are all better than mine with the possible exception of multicore performance - and it was only KSP 1.1.0 that has caused any lag in the VAB, it's been fine since then.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m also seeing some sluggishness in OS X El Capitan in 1.2.2 on a similar-era machine.  For example, the main menus have a noticeably low framerate in animating the text swoops.  Interestingly, it seems like they smooth out when I open the “Continue Saved” dialog, though I’m not sure how much of that is real and how much is due to it being the slowdown part of the animation (or how much is just faulty human perception).

Interestingly, inside the game itself my framerates aren’t so bad—not super-smooth, but completely playable.  That might be due to the low part counts on my craft, since I’ve been playing career and haven’t gotten to the “build complex science and refueling orbital stations” part of the game yet.

11 hours ago, meyerweb said:

I’m also seeing some sluggishness in OS X El Capitan in 1.2.2 on a similar-era machine.  For example, the main menus have a noticeably low framerate in animating the text swoops.  Interestingly, it seems like they smooth out when I open the “Continue Saved” dialog, though I’m not sure how much of that is real and how much is due to it being the slowdown part of the animation (or how much is just faulty human perception).

Interestingly, inside the game itself my framerates aren’t so bad—not super-smooth, but completely playable.  That might be due to the low part counts on my craft, since I’ve been playing career and haven’t gotten to the “build complex science and refueling orbital stations” part of the game yet.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm experiencing nowadays.

17 hours ago, JonathanDahlq said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm experiencing nowadays.

Glad to know it’s not just me!  After I posted that, I remembered that 1.2.x has performance monitoring built in, but I’m not sure how to interpret the numbers.  Anyone know which of the three numbers mean what in the line graph?

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-31%20at%2016.02.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.