[1.4.0 - 1.5.x] Audio Muffler Redux [v2.6.1] (2018 May, 7)

Ser

30 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

I've noticed that, in vacuum, sound appears when the camera clips into the vessel which is great. Was that intentional?

Kinda. A way to muffle a sound source is determined by direct check whether it is inside a part's mesh. So that's a side effect. Note that if you clip into an engine you'll hear its clear sound because the sound originates from that part and if you clip into another part you'll hear a muffled engine sound. You may also try to get camera inside a kerbal on EVA with Chatterer and helmetOutsideEVA = false and see what happens.

This "natural" approach should let the mod work properly with various walkable IVA plugins.

Edited by Ser

13 hours ago, Psycho_zs said:

Running KSP on Debian testing, I get extreme slowdown when using Audio Muffler, especially in map view it grinds down to 1-2fps.

Here is Player.log with Audio Muffler debug=true: https://yadi.sk/d/IfDtPCROwxPw4

Thanks for the logs, Linux users often do the things right : )

Guess that's what I've been afraid of: a performance drop on kilo-part vessels (according to logs, you have 500+ of them). Surprisingly, even strut connectors have their own audio sources in KSP :huh:.

I see some heuristics can be used to improve perfomance but I'll try that a bit later as it is night at 37E longitude now. And I'll need your help in testing because I don't have a Linux KSP installation.

Edited by Ser

29 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

It works better, but stil slows things down. WIthout muffler FPS jumps from 29 in space to 48 in map mode. With muffler it stays at 29 in same conditions.

Ok. I'll work on further performance improvements but that'll take some time. Now the behavior in Map view should be the same as in IVA.

EDIT: By the way, could you check FPS when on IVA? I guess in the Map view a vessel itself isn't rendered but sounds are still checked against every part. In IVA both are employed so there's possibly an additional FPS drop factor.

Edited by Ser

Thanks! take your time.

BTW, For my taste, it would be cool to handle sound this way: in external view output both IVA sound (from current command part) and external camera. External would fade with atmosphere, IVA would remain. Maybe reduce IVA volume by 50% at sea level, so it would not dominate the scene. This way it would not be just muffled sound in vacuum like with minimalCutoff=300, but a valid sound from IVA, just overlayed on external view.

20 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

Thanks! take your time.

BTW, For my taste, it would be cool to handle sound this way: in external view output both IVA sound (from current command part) and external camera. External would fade with atmosphere, IVA would remain. Maybe reduce IVA volume by 50% at sea level, so it would not dominate the scene. This way it would not be just muffled sound in vacuum like with minimalCutoff=300, but a valid sound from IVA, just overlayed on external view.

Not sure I understood you right. Do you want to hear "walled" engine sounds in external view like in IVA?

5 hours ago, Ser said:

Not sure I understood you right. Do you want to hear "walled" engine sounds in external view like in IVA?

Yes, from the point of command module.

...or from the point of part in camera focus, now that we have it.

Edited by Psycho_zs

Kinda like that idea myself... a totally silent setup (though realistic from where the camera is) kept making me check my sound settings to makes sure they (my speakers) were turned on. Chatterer in particular kinda looses it's point if you can't hear it most of the time.

5 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

Chatterer in particular kinda looses it's point if you can't hear it most of the time.

Can't agree with you. Switching to IVA and hearing all of that "bla-bla" again should give a feeling that you are still alive. What I can agree is that hours in totally silent space are boring as hell, but may be that encourages you to spend most of the time in IVA if you play realistic?

Realistic is a frame of mind, but I understand your thought process. I like the engines dying as I get higher... but gotta have chatterer at a minimum in pure vacuum for me. Unfortunately, I have no way to deploy/use all the science experiments from the "comfort" of my cockpit, and that (among other things) prevents me from staying IVA for the large majority of my flights. Perhaps as a toggle-able option? Either way, nice mod.

11 hours ago, Shadriss said:

but gotta have chatterer at a minimum in pure vacuum for me. 

By default you can hear Chatterer outside IVA.

11 hours ago, Shadriss said:

Unfortunately, I have no way to deploy/use all the science experiments from the "comfort" of my cockpit, and that (among other things) prevents me from staying IVA for the large majority of my flights.

Actually you have the way to do that  - Part Commander. It is even updated for KSP 1.2. It had let me to do all my atmospheric flights on IVA for I just didn't want to leave it, so wonderful an ASET-powered cockpit was.

Edited by Ser

5 hours ago, Ser said:

By default you can hear Chatterer outside IVA.

Actually you have the way to do that  - Part Commander. It is even updated for KSP 1.2. It had let me to do all my atmospheric flights on IVA for I just didn't want to leave it, so wonderful an ASET-powered cockpit was.

For the first - then something was wrong with my install, because it faded out at the same time as the rocket engine sounds. Only reason I know it was still running at all was because the Chatterer Icon kept changing colors as normal when it was transmitting.

For the second, I'll look into that one. Thanks for the link.

11 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

For the first - then something was wrong with my install, because it faded out at the same time as the rocket engine sounds. Only reason I know it was still running at all was because the Chatterer Icon kept changing colors as normal when it was transmitting.

Are you sure you have this version installed?

Honestly, I couldn't tell you - if that version is new within the last two or three days, then no. Otherwise yes, as that's the version listed through CKAN. I uninstalled a few days ago as part of an (unrelated) troubleshooting effort and haven't reinstalled.

41 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

Honestly, I couldn't tell you - if that version is new within the last two or three days, then no. Otherwise yes, as that's the version listed through CKAN. I uninstalled a few days ago as part of an (unrelated) troubleshooting effort and haven't reinstalled.

Well, I recommend you to get the one from SpaceDock. Chatterer troubles should be fixed with the latest.

Version 2.3 is out

Download from SpaceDock

IMPORTANT UPDATE

• Greatly improved performance, especially for vessels with high part count
  • Fixed helmet sounds audible within a part but not on IVA

So if someone found the mod unusable with huge vessels, you may give it one more chance.

An option "minCacheUpdateInterval" has been added to the Config file. If you have modified it, save your config and copy-paste this option from downloaded zip.

Edited by Ser

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.