[1.4.0 - 1.5.x] Audio Muffler Redux [v2.6.1] (2018 May, 7)

Ser

• 2 weeks later...

I don't seem to be having any FPS losses w/ an i5-4670K. I don't think I saw this anywhere in the thread but I'm having an issue where things like decouplers will be unmuffled for a split second when staging, which sounds jarring compared to everything else at around 35-45km. Has this happened with anyone else? Using stock decouplers at the moment.

Oh yeah, also noticed this extending landing legs on the mun.

3 hours ago, lm6 said:

I don't seem to be having any FPS losses w/ an i5-4670K. I don't think I saw this anywhere in the thread but I'm having an issue where things like decouplers will be unmuffled for a split second when staging, which sounds jarring compared to everything else at around 35-45km. Has this happened with anyone else? Using stock decouplers at the moment.

Oh yeah, also noticed this extending landing legs on the mun.

Yes, I experience that annoyance too and haven't found any fix for that yet for all the times I've tried. That happens to "sudden" sounds like explosions, leg servos starting and stopping etc., those are created just at the moment of an event unlike all other sounds. They are created and start playing at the same time and that seems to randomly cause the filter to which they are routed by the mod to play that damn clipped chunk of sound.

Edited by Ser

On 4/2/2018 at 5:26 AM, lajoswinkler said:

This is a must have mod and too bad it's not stock behaviour.

I think it is muffling Ship Effects Continued. Is there a solution for this? Can I turn muffling off in IVA?

Chatterer is getting though -- so clearly there's some means of selectively muting sounds. Maybe a quick snoop though the source can reveal something.

Even with the current performance hit, it's still a blast to play with this mod active.

On 02.04.2018 at 3:26 PM, lajoswinkler said:

This is a must have mod and too bad it's not stock behaviour.

I think it is muffling Ship Effects Continued. Is there a solution for this? Can I turn muffling off in IVA?

Sorry, I've missed your edit. Do you want to turn the entire mod off in IVA? Then what would be the point of using it at all? If you mean turning off muffling for IVA sounds only then the mod does exactly that, the problem is to determine if the sound is an IVA sound. Thus incorrectly positioned sounds are a subject to get muffled.

Anyway, I'll take a look at those sounds to find out what's wrong with them.

10 hours ago, Ser said:

Sorry, I've missed your edit. Do you want to turn the entire mod off in IVA? Then what would be the point of using it at all? If you mean turning off muffling for IVA sounds only then the mod does exactly that, the problem is to determine if the sound is an IVA sound. Thus incorrectly positioned sounds are a subject to get muffled.

Ship effects mod produces IVA sounds such as rattling and screeching of ship's skeleton. Those are all sounds that are produced in, and travel by, solid objects, and then reach the capsule with a Kerbal inside who is listening to them in air. Those things should not be muffled because they don't depend on outside atmospheric pressure.

Maybe the source of Ship effects sounds is the actual problem? I wouldn't know.

11 hours ago, Ser said:

This is the mod in question (in case you weren't directed there yet!). It offers some awesome creaks and rattles based on various factors:

• 2 weeks later...

Version 2.6 is out

Changelog:

• Fixed routing of non-prop cabin sounds when on IVA (@ muffling of ShipEffects)
  • Done something else but won't even mention that it could help performance because you wouldn't notice that anyway :)

Download here

P. S. while testing the mod I've ran into some strange FPS drops time to time but they certainly weren't related to the mod. After updating KSP and my video drivers the drops have gone.

Edited by Ser

14 minutes ago, Ser said:

P. S. while testing the mod I've ran into some strange FPS drops time to time but they certainly weren't related to the mod. After updating KSP and my video drivers the drops have gone.

Yay! Thanks for the update!

There's also currently a significant drop on most of our systems mainly contributed by Kopernicus in 1.4.3. That's being worked on at the moment, but as ever, there's always going to be a trade-off of FPS vs. awesomeness. :)

@Ser testing 2.6, now the fps drop "has a purpose", or better said, on vessel launch the log is spammed with:

AudioMuffler: VesselGeometryCache rebuild time = 0

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Int32,Part].Add (Int32 key, .Part value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AudioMuffler.VesselSoundsCache.rebuildCache (UnityEngine.AudioSource[] audioSources) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AudioMuffler.VesselCacheManager.rebuildAllCaches (UnityEngine.AudioSource[] audioSources) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AudioMuffler.VesselCacheManager.maintainCaches (UnityEngine.AudioSource[] audioSources) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AudioMuffler.Muffler.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l76na2e7y7mwoku/2018-05-06_2 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

Edit:

btw the sound was not muffled

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 2 weeks later...

How about mod performance alongside Planetary base? I use that mod and this mod seems to cause a serious performance hit around ships with PB parts on them. Also SpaceY heavy lifters/

This is a really cool mod and I really want to use it, but the fps drop is just too serious for me right now. 

On 5/18/2018 at 12:50 AM, MassoudGL said:

How about mod performance alongside Planetary base? I use that mod and this mod seems to cause a serious performance hit around ships with PB parts on them. Also SpaceY heavy lifters/

This is a really cool mod and I really want to use it, but the fps drop is just too serious for me right now. 

Please post your save when this happens and the mods used.

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Ninadragonborn said:

i have installed this mod on 1.4.4 its seems not working 

is that right 

6 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

yes, mod needs to be fixed somehow

I'll check that, thanks for reporting.

4 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Well the main problem for several KSP versions is the huge hit on performance ... I don't have a quantum computer from 2525 so I have to avoid using this mod - unfortunately.

AMD 1700X is hardly a quantum computer, but you're stuck with what you had sadly. Just tested again no performance problem nor sound problem in 1.4.5. Did notice a prior problem with engine lighting mod not playing well for some odd reason before though, so decided to keep this one instead of that as a trade off.

On 9/24/2018 at 4:27 PM, Ninadragonborn said:

i have installed this mod on 1.4.4 its seems not working 

is that right 

Tested with 1.4.5 and everything seems to be fine. And it was compiled last time against 1.4.3, so it should work in 1.4.4. What king of troubles do you have with the mod?

On 9/25/2018 at 1:56 AM, Gordon Dry said:

Well the main problem for several KSP versions is the huge hit on performance ... I don't have a quantum computer from 2525 so I have to avoid using this mod - unfortunately.

Your trouble is most likely caused by some mod incompatibility. I'd recommend you to try running KSP with only this mod installed and see if you still have FPS drops. It's not hard, you only have to move all other mods to a different folder out of GameData and that takes a fraction of second if you move to the same drive. Otherwise you'll have to find the interfering mod. Only then there will be something to look at.

By the way, what do you use to measure FPS? Isn't it Fraps?

Edited by Ser

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.