tacocat?

ycen

Yes, Module Manager is to blame for this one. It's childish, it's annoying, it has absolutely nothing to do with KSP. If there was an option to shoot the cat and keep MM I wouldn't hesitate a single second.

1 hour ago, Tex_NL said:

Yes, Module Manager is to blame for this one. It's childish, it's annoying, it has absolutely nothing to do with KSP. If there was an option to shoot the cat and keep MM I wouldn't hesitate a single second.

Yes, this ^

I posted in the MM mod thread requesting how to remove it. I was basically told to live with it or not use MM... such nice helpful people. Then there was some hint that it would be removed once v1.2 was released. Let's see.

6 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Then there was some hint that it would be removed once v1.2 was released. Let's see.

Even if MM isn't updated soon, there's code in there that switches the nyan cat off after Nov 1st. (mind you, there's code that enables it for April 1st :wink:)

IIRC, Nyan Cat is supposed to show up when you run Module Manager on an unsupported platform. In other words: on the community hacked 64 bit build that existed before 64bit became standard. Or on a newer/older version of KSP than the MM release is for. Or on any pre-release build of any shape or form.

If one of the above is true for you: there you go, now you know why you see Nyan Cat, and also that it is your own fault. Perhaps you also know how to avoid seeing Nyan Cat (for example by updating from the pre-release to the official release).

If you still see Nyan Cat even though you are running the official KSP 1.2 release build and the official 1.2 release version of Module Manager, this is either a bug, or sarbian may be once again fed up by immature people complaining about completely harmless in-jokes and made sure it's turned on all the time right now. sarbian regularly gets annoyed at immature people complaining, because there are a lot of them in his mod threads, and they complain a lot. It'll pass, eventually. :wink:

Edited by Streetwind

You know, that would actually have been a great feature in older versions of KSP, a minigame while you wait for the loading screen. Back then, even stock KSP took at least half a minute to start, and a heavily modded instance might have taken as much as 5 minutes.

Nowadays the loading times are much lower though*, so it wouldn't be as relevant... still, the mental image is fairly funny :P

*(People tell me there's new loading screens. I don't really get to see any of them because the main menu appears instead!)

Edited by Streetwind

2 hours ago, Streetwind said:

IIRC, Nyan Cat is supposed to show up when you run Module Manager on an unsupported platform. In other words: on the community hacked 64 bit build that existed before 64bit became standard. Or on a newer/older version of KSP than the MM release is for. Or on any pre-release build of any shape or form.

If one of the above is true for you: there you go, now you know why you see Nyan Cat, and also that it is your own fault. Perhaps you also know how to avoid seeing Nyan Cat (for example by updating from the pre-release to the official release).

If you still see Nyan Cat even though you are running the official KSP 1.2 release build and the official 1.2 release version of Module Manager, this is either a bug, or sarbian may be once again fed up by immature people complaining about completely harmless in-jokes and made sure it's turned on all the time right now. sarbian regularly gets annoyed at immature people complaining, because there are a lot of them in his mod threads, and they complain a lot. It'll pass, eventually. :wink:

That's good information; Too bad I didn't see it posted anywhere in the MM thread when I initially went there to download it. Maybe I missed it. In the past, MM came along with whatever mod I was using - SCANsat for example, or Claw's bug fixes.

I'm not running any unsupported platform, as far as I know, as everything I download is either from KSP's store or mods here from the forums. So I'm not sure where that fits in. I downloaded a mod that supposedly was ready for v1.2pre, but it needed MM. The MM thread offered a mod for v1.2pre, and I rolled with it. Mission accomplished, all except for the cat... which is still there, and I would like to get rid of.

If sarbian must, how about a Jeb floating by?

Eh. It's Sarbian's code. If you don't want to run Sarbian's code, don't. If you want to run part of Sarbian's code but not another part, feel free to download it from Github, strip out the offending part, recompile it, and then run it.

If you want to run part of Sarbian's code but not another part and don't know how to edit the source code and recompile it, learn.

If you don't want to learn, stick with things you paid for. Part of the reason you pay for something is support for that something. You're paying the cost of not being willing to learn.

(Not being willing to learn isn't bad, necessarily. There are lots of things I'm not willing to learn about. I have zero interest in coding my own spreadsheet application, thanks.)

"Read the Code, Luke" (Obi-Wan Hackeroni)

https://github.com/sarbian/ModuleManager/blob/master/moduleManager.cs#L114

It shows up in MM from now until Nov 1st, 2016 or every April 1st. Or if you use the -nyan-nyan argument. Just wait 18 days and it'll be gone. Or, if you can't put up with it for that long, just remove the offending code and recompile. (Just don't run off to the MM thread to complain if you break something.)

Edited by Cydonian Monk
.... something unintelligible about the mobile forum editor....

32 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

I'm not running any unsupported platform, as far as I know, as everything I download is either from KSP's store or mods here from the forums. So I'm not sure where that fits in.

From what I've read so far, it appears to be hardcoded until November 1st, when it will go away again.

10 hours ago, Streetwind said:

You know, that would actually have been a great feature in older versions of KSP, a minigame while you wait for the loading screen. Back then, even stock KSP took at least half a minute to start, and a heavily modded instance might have taken as much as 5 minutes.

Nowadays the loading times are much lower though*, so it wouldn't be as relevant... still, the mental image is fairly funny :P

*(People tell me there's new loading screens. I don't really get to see any of them because the main menu appears instead!)

KSP used to take half a minute to start in stock?
As far as I can tell KSP takes a minute or two to load up in stock 1.2. 

Do you have a magic harddrive or is mine just a total potato?

3 hours ago, nosirrbro said:

You must have a potato.   Mine took 30 seconds and I have a few mods and 74 module manager patches.  That's running OS on an SSD but the game on a standard HDD.

Edited by Alshain

7 hours ago, nosirrbro said:

If a solid state drive counts as magic, then perhaps? :P Three years ago when I built a new machine, I decided to ban all antique rotating storage media from my system. Got a single 500 GB SSD, and that's it. Been incredibly pleased with it ever since! Of course, the system is fairly powerful in general, with a 4 GHz Intel quadcore and 16 GB memory. So whenever I start up stock KSP v1.2, I get to see the logo at the start, and maybe a brief glimpse of loading screen artwork sometimes before it abruptly switches to the main menu. It was slower than that in 1.1.x... in fact, KSP's loading speed has increased for me with every major update since, uh, 0.90 or 1.0. I forget.

Still, I'm surprised you say "a minute or two". That's a really long time to sit still and wait for something to finish loading, especially if most people report that it's going faster than ever. Have you actually measured it, or do you speak from gut feeling?

32 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Still, I'm surprised you say "a minute or two". That's a really long time to sit still and wait for something to finish loading, especially if most people report that it's going faster than ever. Have you actually measured it, or do you speak from gut feeling?

Stock is fast. But start using mods and it gets easy to 5+ minutes :D

Can only tell for 1.1.3 at the moment, there i have 45 mods installed (according to Ckan), 852 MM patches on a i5 [email protected] with GTX550TI and a "Crucial BX200 480GB" SSD .

It takes 3 min 01.83 sec from double-click on icon to main menu visible and clickable. Yes measured.

Just tested on 1.2 with same mods, half not updated for 1.2 yet:

from icon click to main menu : 2min 34.18 seconds

So 1.2 is half a minute faster ^^

19 hours ago, Streetwind said:

For a long time, minigames in the loading screen were not really possible. One company that came up with this idea added it to its games applied for a patent for this. Unfortunatelly this patent was granted. So every dev wanting to add this too would have to pay a huge fee to this other dev.
Luckily the patent expired this (or last) year, so it would be at least allowed now to do this again :D

Edited by Nils277

4 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Three years ago when I built a new machine, I decided to ban all antique rotating storage media from my system.

So how's that 'no DVD drive' thing working out for you? :P :wink:

27 minutes ago, JAFO said:

So how's that 'no DVD drive' thing working out for you? :P :wink:

Now I'm curious, when would that ever be an issue? I haven't used mine once, I litteraly let it gather dust since I lost the small plastic cover for that particular chassi slot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.