[1.6.x-1.7.x] Training Kerbalnauts (Training Laboratory + Field Training Facility)

Efour

On 10/31/2018 at 5:47 AM, Gordon Dry said:

I suggest to add

:FOR[FieldTrainingFacility]

to the GameData\FieldTrainingFacility\FTFtoLabMM.cfg (omitted)

Thank you for suggestion @Gordon Dry, but.. honestly, I couldn't fully understand what that codes are doing. Because I'm not good at modulemanager coding, I need some more information or description(especially, Where they will place).

On 10/31/2018 at 2:01 PM, Gordon Dry said:

I would like to see the source code.

btw perhaps™ this mod creates issues with Kerbalism:
https://github.com/steamp0rt/Kerbalism/issues/271

Thank you for report. If I was not busy now, I could debug or at least test with them now.
I will do something including remake and merge someday, but I can't promise before ksp 1.5.2.
I think that problem is from kerbal experiences block in save file, and it is the reason I'm planning remake.

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This is a fascinating mod.  I like it a lot. I would consider adopting it, but feel I could not do it justice. I would however be willing to curate it as a community supported release if people were intrested

I will appreciate someone or some group adopt and improve it.
the core idea is it : 1. kerbal training system, 2. using sci point to train.

3 hours ago, Efour said:
12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This is a fascinating mod.  I like it a lot. I would consider adopting it, but feel I could not do it justice. I would however be willing to curate it as a community supported release if people were intrested

As I said, I don't have time for this, other than curating, but need to see interest from other people first

1 hour ago, Dux Aquila said:

My minimal knowledge of C++ will only allow me to recompile the DLL, but I don't like this mod to disappear.
I have a question, be it on CKAN?

I use necromancy sometime, so I can say it will not be disappeared.

but I don't have any plan about CKAN now.

On 11/8/2018 at 12:59 PM, gamerscircle said:

I have a couple of questions:

Training Laboratory + Field Training Facility

Is only the MLP being used and that would be the "lab" and the "facility"?

Does this mean, that in the game setting, that I disable "Kerbals Level Up Automatically"?

1. That is.... hmmm... good question.
In game system, It only adds training stuffs for kerbals to crewed module. I thought MPL can be training ground. That is a reason I named my first mod as "Training laboratory".

honestly, FTF is named not seriously. If you ask me that 'Is it worthy to facility?', I can say 'I dunno.'.

If your question is 'Adding MPL is enough to use TLFTF?', It's correct.

2. no. this mod not touches any option. 

3 hours ago, Efour said:

1. That is.... hmmm... good question.
In game system, It only adds training stuffs for kerbals to crewed module. I thought MPL can be training ground. That is a reason I named my first mod as "Training laboratory".

honestly, FTF is named not seriously. If you ask me that 'Is it worthy to facility?', I can say 'I dunno.'.

If your question is 'Adding MPL is enough to use TLFTF?', It's correct.

2. no. this mod not touches any option. 

Okay, so the mod give me the ability to train and level kerbals outside of the game.  Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Me again -

I started a new game - and the options

Enable Kerbal Experience
Kerbal Level Up Immediately 

I disabled them both, they started off with no stars and now they are 5 star.  I haven't even trained them yet.  I am under the impression that the mod(s) give me a more realistic approach to have them go to "school" and get trained.  Which will take time and resources, is that correct?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/23/2018 at 8:39 AM, gamerscircle said:

Me again -

I started a new game - and the options

Enable Kerbal Experience
Kerbal Level Up Immediately 

I disabled them both, they started off with no stars and now they are 5 star.  I haven't even trained them yet.  I am under the impression that the mod(s) give me a more realistic approach to have them go to "school" and get trained.  Which will take time and resources, is that correct?

Actually, It is not same kerbal stars with level of this mod.

This mod displays only 'Training Level'. If it is 5, that kerbal is 5-star. but it doesn't guarantee 'Training Level' and stars. 
If a kerbal have many experiences to reach 3 star and Training Level is 1, that kerbal will be 3-star, not 4-star. because training is treated another experience in game. 
I have a plan to make Training level matches stars, modifying Training level calculation. But I'm not sure when I can do that.

Yes, these mod intend using like "school". 

These mods already 2 years old, but I saw it just now, cool mods.

15 hours ago, Efour said:

I have a plan to make Training level matches stars, modifying Training level calculation. But I'm not sure when I can do that.

It is very desired feature, another possibility is switch to straight-forward experience points,
one click is +1 experience for a kerbal. L0 to L5 is 64 EXP — 64 clicks. Many clicks, but not too many.

I checked this out, how do you planning to make this happen? An experience is added only by adding unique entries in the CareerLog, and not-breaking-progress entries is only Training1-5.

Now I'm making compatibility for science-lab-info-and-6-crew-lab (just x2 faster, x2 EC, same science conversion). 
What is TimeFactor in the TrainingLabModule ? Does it override TimeFactor in the FieldTrainingFacilityModule ? Do they need to be the same?

Also I'd like to see modules info panels for parts in the VAB.  

Another feature is depending on stupidity value. A not stupid kerbal studied faster in the "school"

On 11/1/2018 at 7:27 PM, Efour said:

but I don't have any plan about CKAN now.

Are you against adding your mods to the scan? otherwise I could do it.

UPD. Oh, I see

On 11/1/2018 at 10:25 AM, Efour said:

And add please poll there: "Do you use both mods or only one of them?  -Both; -TL;  -FTF" 

Edited by flart

5 hours ago, MaximumThrust said:

What would be the best version to use in a 1.4.5 install, since the recompile for this one was missed? Many thanks.

I'm sorry to say this, I missed 1.4.x version. I didn't test so I'm not sure, but maybe 1.0.3.1 will work.

8 hours ago, flart said:

Now I'm making compatibility for science-lab-info-and-6-crew-lab (just x2 faster, x2 EC, same science conversion). 
What is TimeFactor in the TrainingLabModule ? Does it override TimeFactor in the FieldTrainingFacilityModule ? Do they need to be the same?

Not overriding, but both of them should be same. because TL uses that factor to calculate sci reduces for promotion.

8 hours ago, flart said:

It is very desired feature, another possibility is switch to straight-forward experience points,
one click is +1 experience for a kerbal. L0 to L5 is 64 EXP — 64 clicks. Many clicks, but not too many.

I checked this out, how do you planning to make this happen? An experience is added only by adding unique entries in the CareerLog, and not-breaking-progress entries is only Training1-5.

I saw there are an API to get current star of kerbal, in APIdoc.
So my plan is reading current star and providing next-level-training. But as I said, I'm very busy now and I don't have time to do this until my real-life plan is very busy.
updating my mod in CKAN and providing AVC support is delayed by same reason.

8 hours ago, flart said:

And add please poll there: "Do you use both mods or only one of them?  -Both; -TL;  -FTF" 

I think it is considerable merging these two mods, like this : Training regarding stupidity consuming time and resources, graduating using sci point in one mod.

But it is interesting to me too, I will add a pole when I make an major update of these mods. 

When I release Simplex Living I'll have  a config to use Kopernicus to move Minmus to Eeloo which means not advancing to level 3 in the Kerbin system as you need Minmus.  So these mods will be VERY useful to upgrade a group of kerbals that plan to go to Jool with a kerbalism save as the radiation is now cumulative. 

I have a feature request though.  Perhaps make the highest level the same as your best kerbal has.  So if Jeb (or another) is only level 2 from the Mün then all training kerbals can only get to level 2.  When someone then gets to level 3 then everyone else can train to level 3.

Thanks! Peace.

On 12/23/2018 at 3:08 AM, theJesuit said:

I have a feature request though.  Perhaps make the highest level the same as your best kerbal has.  So if Jeb (or another) is only level 2 from the Mün then all training kerbals can only get to level 2.  When someone then gets to level 3 then everyone else can train to level 3.

I considered it before releasing this mod, but I decided not including that feature.
Because it is too complicated and similar feature is exist in other mod : 

• 4 months later...

working for me in 1.7. /ymmv/

Thank you for this mod.

Made adjustments to FTFtoLabMM.cfg to add FieldTrainingFaciltyModule to all parts with ModuleScienceLab

Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleScienceLab]]:FOR[FieldTrainingFacility]
{	
	MODULE
	{
		name = FieldTrainingFacilityModule

// TimeFactor = time to level 0 kerbal becoming level 5 kerbal (sec) (default = 1 year)
		// ECFactor = Electric Charge consuming (per kerbal)
		// SpaceFactor = multiplyer of time efficiency at space
		// LandedFactor = multiplyer of time efficiency at landed on other planet
		// ex : training on orbit, level 0 kerbal -> level 5 kerbal after 1/4 year.

TimeFactor = 9201600
		ECFactor = 4
		SpaceFactor = 4
		LandedFactor = 6
	}
}

Made adjustments to TrainingLaboratoryMM.cfg* to add TrainingLabModule to all parts with ModuleScienceLab

Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleScienceLab]]:FOR[TrainingLab]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = TrainingLabModule

// Science Cost = TrainingFactor * exp needed * conditions(inSpace, Landed on other planet)
		// example : landed on minmus, level 4->5 : 20 * 32 * 0.25 = 160
		TrainFactor = 20
		inSpace = 0.5
		Landed = 0.25
		TimeFactor = 9201600
	}	
}

*default spelling has an additional 'l' in it.

Would like to see this on CKAN.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

• 4 months later...

On 10/30/2018 at 3:08 PM, Efour said:

This mod uses MIT license. If you want, you can fix/update/modify/improve these mod. Sources are included in .zip file.

As I have indicatedto @Efour  in a private message,I am willing / ready to adopt these wonderful mods for curation and hopefully updating.

Am also asking @Efour to kindly update license to "CC BY-NC-SA-4.0". I do believe the current license does allow for the updating of the license, as long as the original license is included.

Sorry to see you go, if you ever come back, just let me know and I will release them all back to you as the official maintainer.

Will upload to Spacedock and CKAN shortly, just being polite and hoping that @Efour will pop on and give official blessing, although not needed as the post above clearly shows.

current changes

• Spoiler
    • include PAW grouping (really needed for these mods)
    • including a blurb in the editor info
    • InstallChecker.cs
    • updating patches
    • changing the TrainingLab to be FieldTrainginLab (patches reflect this)
    • changing FieldTrainingFacilityModule to FieldTrainingFacility (patches reflect this)

planned changes

• Spoiler
    • adding several options to the difficulty settings
    • will attempt to use existing :rep::rep::rep: system (better game integration)

Edited by zer0Kerbal

On 9/30/2019 at 7:57 AM, Dux Aquila said:

Hello, you need the SimpleLogistics.dll file in the FieldTrainingLab folder? I get an error message in the game's start menu.

thank you. been trying to track down that for a week. +1 :rep: Yes, you can just delete the SimpleLogistics.dll from FieldTrainingLab/Plugins/. Apologies.

Field Training Lab (FTL)

formerly Training Laboratory

FieldTrainingLab?include_prereleases KSP 1.7.x CKAN listed license-MIT-red

• removed SimpleLogistics.dll that stowed away.

Source here:

License license-MIT-red

Edited by zer0Kerbal

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.