Version 1.2: The Little Things

rcp27

We've all read about the "big news" features in 1.2, things like communications net and balanced fuel flow. How about the little things? What new features have you found that you have noticed that make life a little easier?

for me it's "When a Kerbal plants a flag, credit is given to all landed/splashed Kerbals in physics range. Prevents the need to have flag-planting parties with large crews."

3 hours ago, Aegolius13 said:

The sound when landing legs extend is quite satisfying.

It's funny you should say that.  The original sound they put on them was downright horrifying.  The pre-release testers (myself included) all threw a fit and made them change it.

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

I like that if you have enough patched conics (I have 8) you can see multiple encounters with the same world. I've not needed it and may never need it, but it's still cool :)

I did just several Kerbin-Kerbin and Laythe-Laythe gravity assists on my last big 1.1 mission.  This would have been... helpful.

13 minutes ago, Alshain said:

It's funny you should say that.  The original sound they put on them was downright horrifying.  The pre-release testers (myself included) all threw a fit and made them change it.

I recall the itty bitty ones whisked me in memory back off into the dentist's chair lol.

5 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I like that if you have enough patched conics (I have 8) you can see multiple encounters with the same world. I've not needed it and may never need it, but it's still cool :)

That comes in real handy if the second encounter brings you closer Pe to the planet/moon.  Saves you fuel lowering it yourself.

So many little things that I've been discovering. What comes to mind:

- The  Ant and Spider have nice new particle effects.

- The new options and advanced clickables.

- Not small, but surprised me when I saw it (as I didn't watch much 1.2 prerelease footage) was the new categories in the VAB. Electrics, Payload, Couplers? Much nicer than before, those old categories were getting crowded!

I hadn't tried parachutes yet (my time with the game yesterday evening consisted of launching satellites and testing Kerbnet) but the splaying of multiples definitely gets my thumbs-up.

Oh yes, so many little things added or improved.  I agree with everything mentioned here already, plus:

The new Puff engine--now looks like a mini AJ-10, the kind the shuttle's OMS used (also the Delta II's upper stage, and of course the Apollo Service Module engine), just smaller.

And of course, the new RCS sounds and plumes! :)

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

You mean the sound of Satan's toilet flushing? Yeah, glad that one got changed.

Fun little quirk of 1.2: It actually made a few of my mods work again. I installed Engineering Tech Tree a while ago, and it stopped working at some point. Started a career in 1.2, checked R&D. I freaked out when I saw the new tree, when I realized it was ETT. I deleted it, because I don't have any of the mods needed with it :/

16 hours ago, Alshain said:

Hasn't that always worked?

Helmet lights never worked for me in 1.1.3, and I'm not sure they worked all that well in 1.0.5.

Little things...... I like that I can change all of the per-save game settings from the escape menu (except the obvious ones like starting funds/science/&c). Made it so much easier to activate the CommNet in Forgotten Space Program.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

3 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Helmet lights never worked for me in 1.1.3, and I'm not sure they worked all that well in 1.0.5.

I keep hearing that but I know they worked for me in 1.1.3. I mean, they weren't great (only went about 10 meters or so) but they still worked.

11 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I keep hearing that but I know they worked for me in 1.1.3. I mean, they weren't great (only went about 10 meters or so) but they still worked.

I've heard that, too.  I think Claw's Bug Fix mod fixed it, though.  Did you perhaps have that installed?

1 minute ago, razark said:

I've heard that, too.  I think Claw's Bug Fix mod fixed it, though.  Did you perhaps have that installed?

No way to know. It's possible because his bug fixes are great, but at some point I stopped using them as the worst bugs they addressed were fixed in the game itself.

That's probably it, though.

7 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Sometimes I needed to smash the "L" key quite a few times to turn the lights on.  Also if the Kerbal is busy doing something it didn't work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.