Version 1.2: The Little Things

rcp27

Many good things mentioned already. I'd also add that you can now disable part highlighting in flight and you can totally customise the intensity and colours of highlighting in the editors. You have to edit your settings.cfg for that, so for those who don't know here's a list of the options;

Spoiler

COLOR_PART_HIGHLIGHT = Mouse-Over color in editor and flight
COLOR_PART_EDITORATTACHED = Color to use when placing a part and it will be attached
COLOR_PART_EDITORDETACHED = Color to use when placing a part and it will not be attached
COLOR_PART_ACTIONGROUP_SELECTED = Selected part when editing action groups
COLOR_PART_ACTIONGROUP_HIGHLIGHT = Highlighted part when editing action groups
COLOR_PART_ROOTTOOL_HIGHLIGHT = Color for Root Tool in editor
COLOR_PART_ROOTTOOL_HIGHLIGHTEDGE = Color for Root Tool in editor
COLOR_PART_ROOTTOOL_HOVER = Color for Root Tool in editor
COLOR_PART_ROOTTOOL_HOVEREDGE = Color for Root Tool in editor
COLOR_PART_ENGINEERAPP_HIGHLIGHT = Color to highlight parts when hover over engineer issue
COLOR_PART_TRANSFER_SOURCE_HIGHLIGHT = Color for crew/science transfer
COLOR_PART_TRANSFER_SOURCE_HOVER = Color for crew/science transfer
COLOR_PART_TRANSFER_DEST_HIGHLIGHT = Color for crew/science transfer
COLOR_PART_TRANSFER_DEST_HOVER = Color for crew/science transfer

oh....and you can reload your settings after altering them without having to reload the game. just type /settingsload into the console. 

Also liking the option to disable auto hiding the navball in map mode. 

• Vernor Engines got a sound effect/plume effect.
  • In general RCS got sounds and plumes.
  • Landing Leg sound effects.
  • Crickets at night time.
  • The improved SAS (does this count? Haven't seen many people talk about it).
  • Flags being planted now give credit to multiple Kerbals
  • Inbuilt 'hyperedit' for helping to test craft instead of having to muck about with persistance files
  • New cheat engine makes looking at the heat/aerodynamic forces tonnes easier
  • The new hack gravity for testing craft :kiss:
  • Brown paper packages tied up in string.

These are a few of my favourite things.

9 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Quick question:

What does this one mean?: 

* Unburied Duna's MSL.

Its an Easter egg that was buried by a previous terrain overhaul, the Curiosity camera on Duna

(MSL = Mars Science Laboratory)

8 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

No way to know. It's possible because his bug fixes are great, but at some point I stopped using them as the worst bugs they addressed were fixed in the game itself.

That's probably it, though.

Helmet lights worked for me too and i never had claws bugfixes installed. Not in 1.1.3 anyway. Must be sthg else then.

10 hours ago, katateochi said:

Where is this option? Spent quite a bit of time trying to find it as the new default behaviour for the navball is "always hide every single bloody time you bring up map view" and I was starting to get annoyed. :P

7 hours ago, Avonix said:
  • Brown paper packages tied up in string.

These are a few of my favourite things.

I understood that reference!

to keep on topic, I have to say, the editor changes are quite nice, specifically the change of part highlight. 

Edited by LordKael

I like the science return container, makes collecting both inflight(low) and inflight(high) easier for the same launch.  

in my 1.1.3 game it was kind of annoying when I had to hit L multiple times to get the helmet light to turn on, glad that is gone.

It is nice that the atmospheric pressure science part is now earlier, giving more re-runnable science for early probes(works well with the science container)

I like that the largest dishes are stackable, letting you have deep space probes without needing a deep space satellite network to keep in contact.

Eagerly awaiting the KER update so I can get my inter-planetary going properly.

1 hour ago, moogoob said:

Where is this option? Spent quite a bit of time trying to find it as the new default behaviour for the navball is "always hide every single bloody time you bring up map view" and I was starting to get annoyed. :P

In the main settings ..... Autohide navball..... Probly looking toooo hard. Lol

28 minutes ago, Tr1gg3r said:

In the main settings ..... Autohide navball..... Probly looking toooo hard. Lol

I was probably looking in the in-game settings -I know many settings are hidden unless you change them BEFORE starting a game. :)

12 hours ago, katateochi said:

Yeah, but that is such a massive improvement, I don't think it counts as a "little thing". I have years of muscle memory to unlearn now. When I launch my fingers just automatically hit T-Z-M. It'll take many launches before I can unlearn the M.

28 minutes ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

So wait. Is the navball setting in the main menu options? Or the options when starting a game? Or in-game?

And Idk what you all mean. I never had trouble with the navball before now. I mean, I'd have to open it at the start of the flight, but other than that it stayed up.

Main menu options, before you start a game. 

It used to be that you would unhide it once, and then it would stay that way as long as you controlled that craft. The new default is that every time you go into map view, the navball is hidden. But you can change that so that it's always shown. 

4 minutes ago, rcp27 said:

I have years of muscle memory to unlearn now.

I'd bound a side button on my mouse just for toggling the navball, now I get into map mode and have to stop myself from automatically clicking it. 

13 minutes ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

And Idk what you all mean. I never had trouble with the navball before now. I mean, I'd have to open it at the start of the flight, but other than that it stayed up

yeah, it's just the not having to open it at the start of flight* that we're all so jubilant about! 
*- well not just start of flight, after a reload, after a vessel switch....
So it's just nice to not always have to keep clicking it. 

17 minutes ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

So wait. Is the navball setting in the main menu options?

yeah, it's in the main menu settings, I can't recall if it's available as an in game setting.

It's all been said, but after 4 years you can't say it often enough:

- Navball not hiding in map mode anymore (now we just need to get them to leave the altitude gadget in map view too and brighten the dark side of planets up so that you can see what you are doing, its a map afterall, not the real thing)

- Plant flag gives all kerbals around credit. Boy had i flag planting parties going on some planets and muns.

- Science collection blackbox thingamabob, makes especially collecting all the science at KSC when starting a new career a lot easier. Not sure it was in 1.1 already, didn't play that version.

The BAD little things:

- In earlier versions of KSP you could click on an AP/PE node in map view and it's altitude display would stay visible when the mouse moves away. This seems no longer possible?! Really missing this or at least a window that displays the most important current orbital and target stats (yes there are mods for that but such basic stuff really belongs in the base game).

Edited by DocMoriarty

I have 2 things that I love with the new version.

1. The new and improved SAS is awesome! It makes the game playable in a sense that before SAS was more of a hinderance and required most control to be manual only! Thanks Squad!!!

2. Autostrut. I know everybody is saying "cheater!", but when NASA built the Saturn V they did not have external/visible struts between the first, second, and third stages. In KSP if you build a rocket the size of a kerbal Saturn V it would be super wobbly, so i just autostrut the bottom tank of each stage to the heaviest part and the crew capsule to the heaviest part and tada! steady rocket!

2 hours ago, DocMoriarty said:

Plant flag gives all kerbals around credit. Boy had i flag planting parties going on some planets and muns

Do your Kerbals have to be on EVA to get credited or can they stay inside?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.