KSP Death Star Laser Mod?

Turtles4Life

Hi, something using the BDAc laser as a base mdule would probably work, it's got potential for stupid range, the snag is the size of the part, ignoring that for now you could probably animate the emitter beams to the focal point , then have an offset fire transform for the laser module to run from the focal point of those animated beams, It would have to be made large to start with,  as turrets don't particularly like being scaled up massively. Doable yes , but a lot of effort for somebody to go to for a one off  item.  Time to learn how to mod I think :P

18 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, something using the BDAc laser as a base mdule would probably work, it's got potential for stupid range, the snag is the size of the part, ignoring that for now you could probably animate the emitter beams to the focal point , then have an offset fire transform for the laser module to run from the focal point of those animated beams, It would have to be made large to start with,  as turrets don't particularly like being scaled up massively. Doable yes , but a lot of effort for somebody to go to for a one off  item.  Time to learn how to mod I think :P

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

Adapting the existing BDA laser is incredibly easy, creating a dish-like emitter with multiple beams converging, is not. If I choose to do so, I can build you a huge BFG laser in 15 minutes but using the same model without the fancy extra's.

18 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Adapting the existing BDA laser is incredibly easy, creating a dish-like emitter with multiple beams converging, is not. If I choose to do so, I can build you a huge BFG laser in 15 minutes but using the same model without the fancy extra's.

If you dont want to, you dont have to but i would appreciate it :)

0CycibJ.png

There you go baby death star with a laser dish thingy that works, not exactly awesomely powerful though, but then I've only glanced at the laser setup and tweaks so i bet it can have a bit more oomph yet , Jeb and valentina seem to love it though, dead easy to fly too, yes it's tweakscalable and so's the laser doobry, but what it needs really is an emissive transparent shader i it's something i dont have, i had to fade the opacity to get the beams to disappear once shut down, not the nicest option as you can see through everything via the opacity, it'd probably look great in space but you see the oddness in sun light

7bFkBx0.png

WrSmkSk.png

jOgeT1g.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

5 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

0CycibJ.png

There you go baby death star with a laser dish thingy that works, not exactly awesomely powerful though, but then I've only glanced at the laser setup and tweaks so i bet it can have a bit more oomph yet , Jeb and valentina seem to love it though, dead easy to fly too, yes it's tweakscalable and so's the laser doobry, but what it needs really is an emissive transparent shader i it's something i dont have, i had to fade the opacity to get the beams to disappear once shut down, not the nicest option as you can see through everything via the opacity, it'd probably look great in space but you see the oddness in sun light

7bFkBx0.png

WrSmkSk.png

jOgeT1g.png

#gib

Just now, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

not really. i've had these parts kicking around for ages, and the microdeath star i did for the  Mun pocket edition,  so it's all junk and handme downs :)

I wonder what you'd think of my piston engines mod ... Once IR is updated I'll continue work on it. If you're interested, I could send you the 1.1.3 alpha.

Sorry for hijacking the topic, TS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/10/2016 at 2:16 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

0CycibJ.png

7bFkBx0.png

WrSmkSk.png

jOgeT1g.png

It's really good ! Will you please release it anywhere ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 06/12/2016 at 1:16 AM, MarlboroMan said:

That looks suspiciously like my old death star. Glad to see it's still around.

That death star (as far as I know) was made by VRI. So you mean to say that you are the maker (VRI) ?

Edited by Darth Jeb

8 hours ago, Darth Jeb said:

That death star (as far as I know) was made by VRI. Sour you mean to say that you are the maker (VRI) ?

2 hours ago, MarlboroMan said:

Nope but that texture is exactly the same as mine.

I simply googled DS texture and used the first one that looked decent so it may be something you did  , as for the model it's just a sphere, with an extruded band around the center and a separate part for the dish depression it's been unfinished in my projects folder since 2012, it's not exactly complicated modelling . the dish part itself was made  just for this request, using part of a satellite dish from another project

On 12/29/2016 at 8:59 PM, Darth Jeb said:

That death star (as far as I know) was made by VRI. Sour you mean to say that you are the maker (VRI) ?

VRI stole it from me originally. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FbfzqoCzrc 110% sure that's my creation from like 3-4 years ago. I'm not upset he used it, credit would have been nice tho.

22 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I simply googled DS texture and used the first one that looked decent so it may be something you did  , as for the model it's just a sphere, with an extruded band around the center and a separate part for the dish depression it's been unfinished in my projects folder since 2012, it's not exactly complicated modelling . the dish part itself was made  just for this request, using part of a satellite dish from another project

As in the video linked above, my death star had a hanger bay you could land in.

Edited by MarlboroMan

1 hour ago, MarlboroMan said:

As in the video linked above, my death star had a hanger bay you could land in.

So can either you or SpannerMonkey, provided that you have your precious time to waste, make that death star mod again for the newer version of ksp with that hanger bay etc. ?

(Just for the sake of star wars please!)

SpannerMonkey already did a good job though.

On 12/30/2016 at 5:49 PM, Darth Jeb said:

So can either you or SpannerMonkey, provided that you have your precious time to waste, make that death star mod again for the newer version of ksp with that hanger bay etc. ?

(Just for the sake of star wars please!)

SpannerMonkey already did a good job though.

And make it work with the hangars mod.A full on star wars mod would be nice.

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.