Discussion - Community Category Kit

RoverDude

On 12/12/2016 at 11:42 PM, IgorZ said:

New release.

1.2.1 - 2016.12.12
- [Change] Recompile for KSP 1.2.2

Am I just confused... or missing something? I see many mods that use this, but searching the forum here and a Google search doesn't turn up a link from Github, Spacedock, Curse or anywhere else reputable to download it... Does this have it's own thread that I have missed?

Edited by TheKurgan

On 12/23/2016 at 10:29 AM, TheKurgan said:

Am I just confused... or missing something? I see many mods that use this, but searching the forum here and a Google search doesn't turn up a link from Github, Spacedock, Curse or anywhere else reputable to download it... Does this have it's own thread that I have missed?

The mod is available thru CKAN (search for CCK). Github location is here: https://github.com/BobPalmer/CommunityCategoryKit. See Wiki for the usage details.

@RoverDude, can we add a Github ink into the thread starter?

Edited by IgorZ

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question - somewhat relevant to the recently added 'Rovers' category - What's the feeling on putting stock parts in CCK categories?  I can see arguments either way, but I wanted to bring it up because stock *does* have a few dedicated rover parts.  Should they be in the Rovers category?  Or should that just be modded parts?

I'd say CCK will not and should not object against putting particular parts into a filter. It's up to the modders and the community do decide what to put into a CCK filter category. What CCK does care about is filters that are unused.

I'd append this a bit... I don't think it is the place of CCK to modify stock.  Now, if someone wants to do an MM filter and move bits around, that's fine (as something separate from CCK) but I think changing stock behavior (and though it is benign, categories are still stock behavior) is beyond it's scope.

I just Gott a Messegelände mentioning this topic. I really like it. I had no time to Check the Source, but is it possible to consume the Filters themselves? I would love to add those Filters to the OSE Workshop to prevent having all mod parts in the none category.

I run a lot of mods so I like as little clutter as possible in my categories and having duplicate part entries is annoying to me so with that in mind if anyone else wants to also have only CCK-tagged parts appear in CCK tabs here's an MM patch that will remove them from their original stock categories

@PART[*]:HAS[~category[none],#tags[*cck*]]:FINAL
{
  @category = none
}

• 7 months later...

Since @Crzyrndm has retired from modding, I've been waiting to see if anyone else would pick up Filter Extensions.

Then, somebody submitted a PR for another of my mods which includes an entry for CCK.

So, can someone explain, in small words :-)  what the difference is between these two mods?

I did read the whole thread, but his posts seem to have been ignored.

thx

18 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Since @Crzyrndm has retired from modding, I've been waiting to see if anyone else would pick up Filter Extensions.

Then, somebody submitted a PR for another of my mods which includes an entry for CCK.

So, can someone explain, in small words :-)  what the difference is between these two mods?

I did read the whole thread, but his posts seem to have been ignored.

thx

Standardized categories people with different mods use.

So rather than having five different ways of saying Rovers or Life Support, we use the same ones so parts fit together.

Basically CRP but for categories.

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Standardized categories people with different mods use.

So rather than having five different ways of saying Rovers or Life Support, we use the same ones so parts fit together.

Basically CRP but for categories.

I got that, but what's the difference between this and FE?  It does the same thing, doesn't it?

I'm not criticising, I just am trying to understand why this effort was started rather than using something which was already there and and working.

I'm also trying to decide whether FE should be continued, or essentially merged into this.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I got that, but what's the difference between this and FE?  It does the same thing, doesn't it?

I'm not criticising, I just am trying to understand why this effort was started rather than using something which was already there and and working.

I'm also trying to decide whether FE should be continued, or essentially merged into this.

Thanks

Sorry for being repetitive,   but CCK is less about the underlying code (which is pretty trivial), and more about establishing standards, and (most importantly), about having people agree to and implement the standards.  Not a user of FE myself so I really can't speak to whether it does the same thing from a technical standpoint, but I can say it is not really comparable to CCK from a community/adoption/standardization standpoint.

Just now, RoverDude said:

Sorry for being repetitive,   but CCK is less about the underlying code (which is pretty trivial), and more about establishing standards, and (most importantly), about having people agree to and implement the standards.  Not a user of FE myself so I really can't speak to whether it does the same thing from a technical standpoint, but I can say it is not really comparable to CCK from a community/adoption/standardization standpoint.

Ok, that's better :-)

Thanks, and just an FYI, I like standards.

The really nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from  :-)

So a question, then:

A user submitted a PR for one of my mods, the Mk 2.5 Spaceplane parts, in which he includes a patch for the CCK.  He seems to be pretty responsive, he's actually redoing it right now because it was included with a bunch of other stuff, and I asked him to break it out into it's own patch.

Anyway, the mod has about 25 parts, and I'm not sure if it is appropriate to have a single CCK category for a specific mod.  See this post for his reasoning:

Thanks in advance

You can use CCK as a framework for your own categorization, or use the existing ones we have.  So using CCK to have a catergory for your own mod is completely appropriate (a lot of us do it).  This does not mean it is one that gets bundled with the main distro.  That's reserved for categories that are actually shared (Rovers, Life Support, etc.)

24 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The really nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from  :-)

Except I am not aware of any other cross-mod category standardization out there... i.e. the choice right now is either use the one already out there and being used cross-mod/cross-author, or decide to make a new one-mod/one-author standard (which is not really a standard).

Just now, RoverDude said:

You can use CCK as a framework for your own categorization, or use the existing ones we have.  So using CCK to have a catergory for your own mod is completely appropriate (a lot of us do it).  This does not mean it is one that gets bundled with the main distro.  That's reserved for categories that are actually shared (Rovers, Life Support, etc.)

Except I am not aware of any other cross-mod category standardization out there... i.e. the choice right now is either use the one already out there and being used cross-mod/cross-author, or decide to make a new one-mod/one-author standard (which is not really a standard).

Understood, thanks.

And the standards line was a joke, sorry it didn't come off as one.

CCK is a framework... community based suggestions as to what mod makers should categorize their more bespoke parts under.

FE expands the stock categories but separating the existing stock categories into more discrete categories and also does the same for more popular mods, it also adds in additional categorising functionality so that you can say, select Category: Rocket Motors > Monopropellant to see all rocket motors that only use monopropellant. 

If you use Filter Extensions, you quickly appreciate that it's a great QoL plugin that is one of those, "can't play without it" kind of mods, whereas CCK is a great framework that is well established that makes sorting parts for users and also the usage with FE easier in the long run.

Both are great, both are quite different.

• 2 weeks later...

New pull request on GitHub (I think I did it right) to add cck-lights to the Common-Resources.cfg. @IgorZ and I will both use with our lighting mods.

And thanks for this plugin!  You saved me uncountable bruises from facedesking while trying to figure out how to do just what it does.