[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

9 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

1. Much appreciated.

2. I'm only assuming, because it'd make the process of building anything much easier / less stressful, and I don't have the patience to scan through 22 pages.

2. While viewing a topic the search function search in here - "snap" shows only our two (now three) posts, so I guess, no.

42 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Huh, strange.

Do you mean pressing R ? Because then it snaps to the mode.

Btw, angle snap and symmetry would be awesome!!! @IgorZ pretty please with sugar on top! I usually play with 1km range and 5.000t btw ;-)

I was looking into the improved editing support for KIS. Unfortunately, the game's editor is not developed for re-using. I.e. any feature you see in the editor needs to be written from scratch in the flight. That said, full editor-like support for KIS is not feasible. Maybe one day I'll find enough time to implement a simple snapping tool, but things like symmetry and in-place offset/rotation adjustments are very unlikely.

Edited by IgorZ

15 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Totally silly thought most likely:

Maybe the docking ports' way of checking for correct alignment (stock supported but enabled) could be reused?

Or, SEP uses bulby nodes for attaching the power sockets. Being able to center inline parts (e.g. Konstruction docking ports) might be interesting - by adding "bulbs" to connection nodes of most parts?

Edited by KerbMav

16 hours ago, KerbMav said:

Totally silly thought most likely:

Maybe the docking ports' way of checking for correct alignment (stock supported but enabled) could be reused?

Or, SEP uses bulby nodes for attaching the power sockets. Being able to center inline parts (e.g. Konstruction docking ports) might be interesting - by adding "bulbs" to connection nodes of most parts?

I had had a similar idea myself, but now reading your post gave me some further inspiration.

Frustrated by being unable to neatly place surface attach parts with KIS, I had at some point thought about adding symmetrical attachment nodes to random parts via an MM patch, but of course that would look rather ugly. Not to mention that it is a terrible solution that burns the mattress with the flea.

But, today I wonder, would it possible to add and remove attachment nodes in flight? If possible, a particular KIS hotkey or menu can activate temporary attachment nodes in flight on the vessel surface allowing us to attach items correctly and symmetrically and then those nodes can be turned back off.

7 minutes ago, canisin said:

But, today I wonder, would it possible to add and remove attachment nodes in flight? If possible, a particular KIS hotkey or menu can activate temporary attachment nodes in flight on the vessel surface allowing us to attach items correctly and symmetrically and then those nodes can be turned back off.

Yes, it's possible. In fact, KAS 1.0 is based on this ability. However, just "a hot key" is not sufficient for KIS. You need to somehow define where to create the attach nodes for each part.

Hey @IgorZ is it just me or KIS messed up kerbal eva suit in main menu? I'm using ksp 1.3.0 and install KIS via CKAN. Also the bug didn't appear when i only install KAS, it only shows up when i install KIS or both KAS and KIS. Awesome mod btw!

Album a/C88uA will appear when post is submitted

Edited by adamdwptr
wrong imgur link

2 hours ago, adamdwptr said:

Hey @IgorZ is it just me or KIS messed up kerbal eva suit in main menu? I'm using ksp 1.3.0 and install KIS via CKAN. Also the bug didn't appear when i only install KAS, it only shows up when i install KIS or both KAS and KIS. Awesome mod btw!

Pun intended

8 hours ago, adamdwptr said:

Adding stuff to the kerbals in the main screen is not a bug, it's a fun feature :) If you don't like it, you can disable it thru the KIS config:

MainScreenTweaker
	{
		// Set it to false if you don't want your main menu changed.
		enabled = true
	}

2 hours ago, Sebra said:

Search for the same parts as in Kerbal's hand and add temporary mirror position node.

The hard part here is the calculation of the proper position/rotation on the surface of another part. It's not as easy as you may think. Once this math is done I don't need to create a node to do the alignment.

11 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Once this math is done I don't need to create a node to do the alignment.

Semipatiently waiting. :)

Being able to remove docking ports and replacing them with perfectly fitting Konstruction ports would have made the lives of my space station crew much easier.

11 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Yes, it's possible. In fact, KAS 1.0 is based on this ability. However, just "a hot key" is not sufficient for KIS. You need to somehow define where to create the attach nodes for each part.

- Have an action that appears on all parts only when controlling a Kerbal on EVA (1). When this action is clicked the part is selected as the target part. Add a highlight to the target part while this mode is active.

- Pick an item from your inventory for attachment as usual, while you are in surface attachment mode, attachment nodes appear on the target part, along with a corresponding node on the surface of the new part.

- Have a hotkey that cycles through 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 8 way symmetry for the nodes.

- Have another hotkey that cycles through creating nodes midway along the length of the target part, then 1/4 of its length (top quarter), bottom quarter, top (1/8?), and bottom of the selected part.

I know that this is a very rudimentary system, but it could be a good start. Also, the whole idea is implicitly assuming that the target part is a cylindrical part like a fuel tank. But even as it is, I believe it would be useful in a large number of practical cases.

(1): I think this is possible as I think there are such actions that only appear when the part menu is triggered by a Kerbal on EVA

1 hour ago, felcas said:

Hy I just noted that I can't transfer the FTX-2 fuel duct for any inventory.
Is this a bug, alimitation or just the developer just forgot to include it?

Thanks

It should work fine, as with any other part. If you have issues, please share the KSP.log file.

Btw, not KIS nor KAS can attach the duct to the vessels. So I don't see any benefit in having this part in the inventory. If you've detached it from a vessel, just drop it. You won't be able to re-use it anyways.

Edited by IgorZ

8 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Adding stuff to the kerbals in the main screen is not a bug, it's a fun feature :) If you don't like it, you can disable it thru the KIS config:

MainScreenTweaker
	{
		// Set it to false if you don't want your main menu changed.
		enabled = true
	}

Ahh i see. Thanks!

57 minutes ago, CptAWatts said:

Hello I seem to be having the same problem as other with not being able to access the external containers.

Here's my log, thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn6asdz0pgljtxb/output_log.txt?dl=0

There were different problems with containers reported, and all of them were happening due to the wrong setup. I'm not sure which problem exactly you're referencing. However, what I see in your logs is a wrong `ModuleManger` version:

ModuleManager.2.7.5 v2.7.5.0

With this version KIS will not work.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

There were different problems with containers reported, and all of them were happening due to the wrong setup. I'm not sure which problem exactly you're referencing. However, what I see in your logs is a wrong `ModuleManger` version:

ModuleManager.2.7.5 v2.7.5.0

With this version KIS will not work.

I was referring to the ability to click on the inventory icon but it wouldn't open during EVA. Thanks for picking up that module manager error.  I read CKAN wrong. I thought it was installed but it had AD beside it what ever that means.

Edited by CptAWatts

29 minutes ago, CptAWatts said:

I was referring to the ability to click on the inventory icon but it wouldn't open during EVA. Thanks for picking up that module manager error.  I read CKAN wrong. I thought it was installed but it had AD beside it what ever that means.

AD means Auto Detect.  It generally means that you've installed a mod by hand and CKAN has recognized it.

Edited by Brigadier

The KIS parts appear in multiple VAB categories, such as the containers appearing in "Payload" and "Containers". Is there a way to remove them from the stock categories and have them only appear in the custom ones?

14 minutes ago, Khatharr said:

The KIS parts appear in multiple VAB categories, such as the containers appearing in "Payload" and "Containers". Is there a way to remove them from the stock categories and have them only appear in the custom ones?

This patch will apply to ALL mods that use the custom categories kit and remove their parts from the stock categories:

@PART[*]:HAS[#tags[*cck*]]:FINAL
{
  @category = none
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.