[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

4 minutes ago, SchrottBot said:

@IgorZ I'd really appreciate if you could explain why or in which way fixing a base to the ground cause trouble. I guess with KIS and KAS you're surely an expert in this area. The background of my question is, that as soon as i put a drill (like MKS Industrial Strip Miner) to a base or mining station, the will lift up an start moving around from the vibrations. So my idea was, like in RL, to get a firm foundation on the surface would do the trick. But now I wonder if that might make it worse, as you mentioned the almighty krakken. :) 

Cheers

SchrottBot

It's not a lot different from any other Krakken issues.  When a scene loads, and physics kicks in, if any part of your base ends up clipped into the surface it will tend to go flying.  Holding it down tight to the ground can cause this.  Having a wide base with many points contacting the surface, or sometimes just dumb luck

Ah, I see. Hmm. I guess I will have to to extensive testing in sandbox mode. I got KJR install and up to now zero issues with that phenomenon. My rovers (with BonVoyage) regularly spawn half buried in the ground, but never got a free flight. Yet. :wink: I'll check if I can provoke it with l large base and reloading time an again, as soon as I found a way how to fix that darn thing to the ground. :D 

Anyway that for the quick info and enlightment! 

Cheers

SchrottBot

3 hours ago, SchrottBot said:

@IgorZ I'd really appreciate if you could explain why or in which way fixing a base to the ground cause trouble. I guess with KIS and KAS you're surely an expert in this area. The background of my question is, that as soon as i put a drill (like MKS Industrial Strip Miner) to a base or mining station, the will lift up an start moving around from the vibrations. So my idea was, like in RL, to get a firm foundation on the surface would do the trick. But now I wonder if that might make it worse, as you mentioned the almighty krakken. :) 

Cheers

SchrottBot

The key factor in getting troubles with the physics is the base's length. It's the game issue, so it cannot be fixed by a mod. However, the situation can get worse with the mods. Specifically with KAS you have an ability to easily build a station of size of 20-40m. You may think you don't since you "only" connect two small vessels with a pipe, but for the game these two vessels and the pipe become one huge base. And the size is mostly determined by the length of the pipe. When the base is not fixed to the surface, the phantom forces that walk thru the assembly usually fade out by themselves (sometimes they don't and you see kraken). If the base is fixed to the ground, the forces will fade out less likely, and more likely they broke something in the path when traveling thru the assembly.

As for the possible fixes and workarounds, the only way to attach the base to the ground and don't bother krakken, is using the flexible connections. I.e. a connection which has some degree of freedom while keeping the vessel in place "in general". In KAS the closest match is the winch: put it on a CB part nearby to the vessel, and then attach and tighten the cable. Don't dock the parts! For stable attachment you may need multiple points on the base. In KAS 1.0 there is a simpler part for this purpose: PCB-1. However, this version is in Beta, and is not recommended for the carrier games.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't graduated to 1.3 quite yet, so if the feature I'm asking about has been implemented since then, sorry-

Is there a way I can tweak the coding so that I can 'equip' an 0.625m heat shield the way you'd equip a chute, and have the ablator absorb heat instead of the Kerbal while it lasts? (I've always, always wanted a MOOSE pack and nobody seems to have even tried making one, so I figured I'd roll my own.)

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Did you check the op or the title? They both say 1.3

I think what I was trying to say is that I am having issues getting it to work in 1.3.  I can't grab/attach anything, and I don't have access to Kerbal inventories.  I'm trying to build a mostly-stock railgun system, and I want to use KIS to reload shells.  It'd be great to get this mod working again.

4 minutes ago, *Asterix* said:

I think what I was trying to say is that I am having issues getting it to work in 1.3.  I can't grab/attach anything, and I don't have access to Kerbal inventories.  I'm trying to build a mostly-stock railgun system, and I want to use KIS to reload shells.  It'd be great to get this mod working again.

then you are probably going to want to follow up with some more useful information. Logs maybe. Picture of your gamedata folder. Stuff like that.

5 hours ago, *Asterix* said:

Let my try updating everything first.  Even though I've updated the file since the release of the newest version, I'll check again just to make sure I didn't mix some files up or something.

Try reading thru this section. If your problem doesn't resolve after this, follow the steps to provide the logs.

21 hours ago, Decent Weasel said:

Is there a way I can tweak the coding so that I can 'equip' an 0.625m heat shield the way you'd equip a chute, and have the ablator absorb heat instead of the Kerbal while it lasts? (I've always, always wanted a MOOSE pack and nobody seems to have even tried making one, so I figured I'd roll my own.)

Couple of pages back people were discussing equippable chutes. What you need to do is following the same approach, except in your case the equip position and rotation will be different. However, I'd expect the resulted model to be very unstable. It works for the cutes since they add drag behind the kerbal model, but for the shield the situation is the opposite.

5 hours ago, strudo76 said:

Here's a completely off topic fun fact. Your user name is Asterix, but your avatar image is an asterisk. Is that intentional, or did you think they were the same (as I did for many many years)

The other one being your friendly neighbourhood Gaul with magic potions and giving the Romans a hard time.  Wait a minute!  Change a few words and it becomes your friendly neighbourhood Kerbal with magic physics and giving the players a hard time.  Coincidence?...I think not! :sticktongue:

So, the localization pack for KIS is (finally) ready! It took three full weeks to have it done, and the localization is not the only thing that added. A huge refactoring into the KIS parts descriptions has been done (not to count the fixed bugs). I'm going to spend some time to produce a Russian localization. Meanwhile, someone (@yrou are you interested?) can make a localization for another language. I'm going to release a new version approximately on Monday (09/04). It'll include all the localizations that will be ready at the momemnt (at the very least there will be English and Russian packs).

The full version of the localization file in English is located here. I give a context for every string to make the localization process easier (see the comments to the tags).

// Total strings: 231
// Total words: 1188

Moreover, I've also created a localization tool mod that helps updating the strings without the need of restarting the game (it actually can do much more than that) - this can help a lot when you try to fit the localized string into GUI. I'm going to make a tutorial video for it one day, but for now you'll have to figure it out on yourselves, sorry. Here is the mod, its UI is activated via Alt+F8 combination.

55 minutes ago, G'th said:

K2OD6WT.png.

Shouldn't be possible to use a screwdriver to attach the same screwdriver to something permanently.  Kinda derpy. 

How exactly did you do it? The screwdriver doesn't support attaching at all. At least, this is how it's designed.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

How exactly did you do it? The screwdriver doesn't support attaching at all. At least, this is how it's designed.

Well if thats the case then it confirms my suspicion that some of the limits of these tools are either outright broken or need to be tweaked.  I attached it just like any other object. Misclicked it instead of the port dragged it to the spot and was able to attach it to the node.

12 hours ago, G'th said:

Well if thats the case then it confirms my suspicion that some of the limits of these tools are either outright broken or need to be tweaked.  I attached it just like any other object. Misclicked it instead of the port dragged it to the spot and was able to attach it to the node.

Created a bug.

12 minutes ago, Mokmo said:

I have a bit of an issue, it seems at least the KAS strut part isn't stackable anymore, haven't tested other. It is in the "stackablemodule" section of the settings, so i'm not too sure what the issue is :/

Sometimes other mods will add modules to all parts that need to be included in the KIS stackablemodules list. Searching the file GameData/ModuleManager.ConfigCache for the part you expect to stack (KAS_Strut1 in this case) will allow you to check which modules have been applied to the part and may need to be added to the stackablemodules list.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.