[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

Yep, it worked like a charm. Thanks a lot for the tip !

Cheers to you

Edit: Just ran into another issue: pressing G key to grab an object while in EVA (in order to move it) imply left-clicking which just switch the "control from" focus.

Edited by Svalboy

I had just wrapped up my KSP campaign in the Kerbol system and was gearing up to start a new RSS-supported campaign and figured the EL Survey Station would be useful in that one, so came here to pick up KIS.  Looks like my timing was perfect, since you just released an update.  However, I also noticed that the topic header still reads 1.6 whereas you have just released 1.7.  Would be good to update that to avoid confusion: some users may see 1.6 and think there is currently nothing going in this topic except discussion and no update for them to come and grab.

Edit: Looks like my RSS campaign may have to wait, as RO has not yet updated and is currently causing a crash in the loading screen.  The problem may be that RealHeat has not yet updated, but its manager appears to have been absent for over 2 months.  Perfect timing for getting this mod, but not for trying to start my next campaign.

Edited by cgwhite4
update

7 hours ago, cgwhite4 said:

However, I also noticed that the topic header still reads 1.6 whereas you have just released 1.7.

Yeah, I've been in a bit of a rush when releasing the new version. So hasn't updated the topic (and also put a wrong flag on the archive file on Curse). Fixed it now.

On 9/18/2017 at 3:14 PM, gamerscircle said:

Is there still a version checking for KIS in KSP AVC?

To the best of my knowledge it's working. Which version did you have when noticed the problem? And what was the latest version of KIS at this moment?

First, I'd like to say to those who created and maintain this mod, that it has fundamentally changed how I play the game, and enhanced my enjoyment of it immeasurably. No more Russian-style "let's dock a buncha stuff together" routine for me, no sir. Constructing ships and stations in orbit is the name of the game. So, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now, down to business. A part that I feel is lacking would be a "pallet" of sorts that clicks into the Container Mount, with a flat top that one (or one's engineer-Kerbonaut) could bolt stuff to (either in VAB or flight), that then any crew member (of any specialty) could drag around between mounts on different ships/rovers/etc. I suppose one could already to this with the SC-62 container, but it's a rather bulky, and something more low-profile I think would be nice(r).

I'm envisioning something like the SC-62, with the same molded bottom that fits into the mount, and a flat top, lopped off just above where the "tangs" on the mount come up.

I tried importing the container model into Blender and lopping the top off myself, but I must admit my Blender-fu is quite weak, and my patience for things I don't fully understand thin, and my time is already short as it is...

So, if anyone cares to take on this "challenge" (read: part request), they would (as Picard says) have my gratitude.

42 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

To the best of my knowledge it's working. Which version did you have when noticed the problem? And what was the latest version of KIS at this moment?

Just did a test with a clean version of KSP 1.3 and KIS 1.5 and it was reporting no update.

3Y4fz25.jpg

Looking in the log it had read the remote v.1.7 file but then decided it didn't represent an update.

Spoiler

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

KSP-AVC -> E:\Games\KSP\1.3\1.3 Test 2\GameData\KIS\Plugins\KIS.version
	NAME: Kerbal Inventory System
	URL: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ihsoft/KIS/master/KIS.version
	DOWNLOAD: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/149848-12-kerbal-inventory-system-kis-v131/
	GITHUB: ihsoft/KIS
		LatestRelease: NULL
		AllowPreRelease: False
	VERSION: 1.5
	KSP_VERSION: 1.3
	KSP_VERSION_MIN: 1.3
	KSP_VERSION_MAX: 1.3.99
	CompatibleKspVersion: True
	CompatibleKspVersionMin: True
	CompatibleKspVersionMax: True
	CompatibleGitHubVersion: True

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

KSP-AVC -> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ihsoft/KIS/master/KIS.version
	DOWNLOAD: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/149848-12-kerbal-inventory-system-kis-v131/
		LatestRelease: 1.7
	VERSION: 1.7.6468.41490
	CompatibleGitHubVersion: False
	UpdateAvailable: False

KSP-AVC -> Starter was destroyed.

Not sure what's going on here. 

Edit: repeated with KIS 1.6 - same result. Also tried without full version of AVC installed but just MiniAVC made no difference.

Edited by Aelfhe1m

1 hour ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Just did a test with a clean version of KSP 1.3 and KIS 1.5 and it was reporting no update.

3Y4fz25.jpg

Looking in the log it had read the remote v.1.7 file but then decided it didn't represent an update.

Hide contents

KSP-AVC -> E:\Games\KSP\1.3\1.3 Test 2\GameData\KIS\Plugins\KIS.version
		LatestRelease: NULL
	VERSION: 1.5
	CompatibleGitHubVersion: True

KSP-AVC -> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ihsoft/KIS/master/KIS.version
		LatestRelease: 1.7
	VERSION: 1.7.6468.41490
	CompatibleGitHubVersion: False
	UpdateAvailable: False

KSP-AVC -> Starter was destroyed.

Not sure what's going on here. 

Edit: repeated with KIS 1.6 - same result. Also tried without full version of AVC installed but just MiniAVC made no difference.

Yup. I've made some testing myself, and figured out there is a problem. For some reason MiniAVC stopped seeing the new versions. I can swear it was working fine 3-4 months ago.

2 hours ago, akardam said:

So, if anyone cares to take on this "challenge" (read: part request), they would (as Picard says) have my gratitude.

I'm useless in the terms of making new models/textures as well. If anyone offers a model (or a strong desire to create one), I'll consider backing it with the needed code and include it into the distribution.

6 hours ago, akardam said:

Now, down to business. A part that I feel is lacking would be a "pallet" of sorts that clicks into the Container Mount, with a flat top that one (or one's engineer-Kerbonaut) could bolt stuff to (either in VAB or flight), that then any crew member (of any specialty) could drag around between mounts on different ships/rovers/etc.

It sounds like the purpose of this part would be to pick it up and carry it around with other parts surface-attached to it.  That doesn't seem to work correctly if you're putting it in your inventory, though: I just tried it with a thermometer attached to an SC-62 container, and when I moved the container into a kerbal's inventory, the attached thermometer vanished.  I put the container back onto the container mount but the thermometer wasn't there.  (I suspect this happens because moving a part into a KIS inventory actually destroys it as far as the game is concerned.)

I don't know if that's a fixable bug or a fundamental limitation of how KIS works, but it limits the usefulness of the part you're proposing.  You'd have to "drag" it from place to place across the ground instead of just putting it on the kerbal's back and walking around with it.

FWIW, I've made a pair of SC-62-compatible parts for MKS, and this new one seems simple enough that I might be willing to take a shot at it.  But I'm not an experienced 3D artist (those two parts are the only models I've ever made), and it's a pretty time-consuming process for me, so I can't commit to doing it soon.

Edited by Wyzard

5 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

I think, I've figured it out. The version check should now be working as intended. Thanks for the reporting!

5 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Yep. Working with my test install now. Out of curiosity can you explain what the problem was?

https://github.com/ihsoft/KIS/commit/47bcf04f5ed209b54b1db50651fdc144e1be6ef9

In a nutshell, AVC was using the release information for the version update trigger. Not the version numbers from the `.version` files.

Edited by IgorZ

7 hours ago, IgorZ said:

I'm useless in the terms of making new models/textures as well. If anyone offers a model (or a strong desire to create one), I'll consider backing it with the needed code and include it into the distribution.

3 hours ago, Wyzard said:

It sounds like the purpose of this part would be to pick it up and carry it around with other parts surface-attached to it.  That doesn't seem to work correctly if you're putting it in your inventory, though: I just tried it with a thermometer attached to an SC-62 container, and when I moved the container into a kerbal's inventory, the attached thermometer vanished.  I put the container back onto the container mount but the thermometer wasn't there.  (I suspect this happens because moving a part into a KIS inventory actually destroys it as far as the game is concerned.)

I don't know if that's a fixable bug or a fundamental limitation of how KIS works, but it limits the usefulness of the part you're proposing.  You'd have to "drag" it from place to place across the ground instead of just putting it on the kerbal's back and walking around with it.

FWIW, I've made a pair of SC-62-compatible parts for MKS, and this new one seems simple enough that I might be willing to take a shot at it.  But I'm not an experienced 3D artist (those two parts are the only models I've ever made), and it's a pretty time-consuming process for me, so I can't commit to doing it soon.

Yeah, I shoulda looked into that before posting, afterwards I went back and did a similar test and found that to be true. However, you'd have the same limidation when grabbing a "subassembly" off of a craft and moving it around - you couldn't put that into your inventory either. This at least would make it (for those of us who don't remove the specialty requirement from the tools) so that any Kerbal could move one of these pallets between container mounts.

I understand having the ability for a Kerbal to stuff a "subassembly" into his inventory, or carry it on his back, would probably require a non-trivial amount of code work. On the other hand, I could see that enhancing what I consider to be one of the few (if only) shortcomings of KIS right now.

@Wyzard, thank you for your great models. I especially love the tank part. If, by the way, that's your definition of not-an-experienced-3D-artist, then you're light-years ahead of me. :)

Thank you for your time, gentlemen.

Anybody know what would cause me to be unable to access the inventory of a 5 meter KIS Kontainer while on EVA?  I can see my engineer's inventory and interact with items (attaching, detaching, destroying, etc.), but the context menu when I select the Kontainer never shows me the inventory option.  If I change to the ship with the kontainer, I can access its inventory.  I have also been able to connect the probe with the kontainer to another ship using CC-R2 connector ports and been able to transfer inventory that way, but if the object has a larger volume than he can carry by himself, I can't get it out onto the surface where he can place it.

I have used CKAN to install of the mods I am using (MechJeb, Kerbal Engineer, KIS/KAS, and the Roverdude Constellation mostly).  I seem to have no problems accessing inventory in the ILC-18k,  ISC-6k, or SC-62.  I have not tried the smaller KIS Containers from the logistics group.  I guess that's next.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kevin

8 minutes ago, KiloMike said:

Anybody know what would cause me to be unable to access the inventory of a 5 meter KIS Kontainer while on EVA?  I can see my engineer's inventory and interact with items (attaching, detaching, destroying, etc.), but the context menu when I select the Kontainer never shows me the inventory option.  If I change to the ship with the kontainer, I can access its inventory.  I have also been able to connect the probe with the kontainer to another ship using CC-R2 connector ports and been able to transfer inventory that way, but if the object has a larger volume than he can carry by himself, I can't get it out onto the surface where he can place it.

I have used CKAN to install of the mods I am using (MechJeb, Kerbal Engineer, KIS/KAS, and the Roverdude Constellation mostly).  I seem to have no problems accessing inventory in the ILC-18k,  ISC-6k, or SC-62.  I have not tried the smaller KIS Containers from the logistics group.  I guess that's next.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kevin

The default game's setting for the EVA menus is 2m from the part's center of mass. If your part is 5m in diameter, it means the minimum distance you can get is 2.5m. I.e. you cannot get close enough to satisfy the game's setting. There is a feature request pending, but so far I didn't have time to implement it.

@KiloMike The problem may be the sheer size of the 5m Kontainer. In order to access the inventory your Kerbal must be close enough to the kontainer's centre of mass. Try carefully positioning your EVA Kerbal as close to the centre of one of the long faces on the kontainer as you can get them.

You can also mod the interaction range to allow the Kerbal to access inventories from slightly further away using a MM patch:

Spoiler

@KISConfig:AFTER[KIS]
{
	@EvaPickup
	{
		@maxDistance = 5 // default = 3
	}
}

5 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

The default game's setting for the EVA menus is 2m from the part's center of mass. If your part is 5m in diameter, it means the minimum distance you can get is 2.5m. I.e. you cannot get close enough to satisfy the game's setting. There is a feature request pending, but so far I didn't have time to implement it.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm really loving these mods.  Really help add to the realism, and the possibilities...

I guess I'm not understanding something correctly.  Wouldn't that mean that without an MM patch, the 5m Kontainer is not usable for anyone?  Wouldn't the COM always be just out of reach of the default parameters?

Anyway, I'll see if I can figure out how to apply the MM patch and see if that helps.  Thanks for all the hard work on the mods.  Loving them!

2 hours ago, KiloMike said:

Anyway, I'll see if I can figure out how to apply the MM patch and see if that helps.

If I got you problem correctly, the MM patch won't help. The KIS range defines how far the kerbal can reach to grab or drop an item, but opening the part's menus is another story. It's the game's logic.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

If I got you problem correctly, the MM patch won't help. The KIS range defines how far the kerbal can reach to grab or drop an item, but opening the part's menus is another story. It's the game's logic.

My apologies @IgorZ. I thought the patch that I applied to EVApickup was the reason that this works:

Spoiler

UjEslft.jpg

But after testing with just KIS (and MM) I see that it didn't extend the range.

Now I wonder just which of the many mods I've got in that save is making this possible.

6 hours ago, IgorZ said:

You are correct, the MM patch didn't help.  So wouldn't that mean that the 5M Kontainer doesn't work for most people?  That can't be right, can it?

Anyway, I guess I'll try downsizing my supply probe to a smaller kontainer and see if that helps.  It will mean more launches, so I'll have to be smarter about it... 

I'll let you know if I come up with something else.  Thanks for the help!

@Aelfhe1m,  if you figure out why you can do it, let me know!

KM

3 hours ago, KiloMike said:

So wouldn't that mean that the 5M Kontainer doesn't work for most people?  That can't be right, can it?

Yup. For now this is how it is. That big containers are very rare, so I never considered this feature as a priority one, given how many other things to do.

3 hours ago, KiloMike said:

Anyway, I guess I'll try downsizing my supply probe to a smaller kontainer and see if that helps.

You still can use the big containers from inside of the vessel. If you need accessing the container from the outside, use a workaround:

1. Switch to the vessel.
  2. Open the part's menu and pin it.
  3. Switch to the kerbal which must stay close to the container.
  4. The menu part should stay, so you can click "Inventory" button and access the inventory.

For this approach to work you will need applying the MM patch. I'd set the distance limitation to 10m to be on the safe side. To be honest, in all my games the limit is 30m because of I don't get fan of walking back and forth :) 

Or wait till @Aelfhe1m figured out which mod did the trick.

8 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

But after testing with just KIS (and MM) I see that it didn't extend the range.

Now I wonder just which of the many mods I've got in that save is making this possible.

The patch is still needed, otherwise the inventory window won't open even though the menu is OK.

@IgorZ

Bit of an API / plugin interaction question -- is there a proper way to dynamically adjust the volume of a ModuleKISInventory at runtime?  One of my mods (SSTU) has rescalable/dynamic/configurable resource tanks with an option to devote part or all of the volume of the tank to KIS inventory volume.

I was previously able to do this by setting 'ModuleKISInventory.maxVolume' to the desired volume.  That bit still appears to work properly, but in the editor the KIS Inventory is telling me that 'the seat must be crewed to access the inventory after launch' even though the part has zero crew capacity.  I cannot locate anywhere in the KIS code that would be setting the InventoryType improperly; but I'm admittedly unfamiliar with the codebase.

Any information or insight into these problems would be much appreciated, thanks in advance :)

3 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

@IgorZ

Bit of an API / plugin interaction question -- is there a proper way to dynamically adjust the volume of a ModuleKISInventory at runtime?  One of my mods (SSTU) has rescalable/dynamic/configurable resource tanks with an option to devote part or all of the volume of the tank to KIS inventory volume.

I was previously able to do this by setting 'ModuleKISInventory.maxVolume' to the desired volume.  That bit still appears to work properly, but in the editor the KIS Inventory is telling me that 'the seat must be crewed to access the inventory after launch' even though the part has zero crew capacity.  I cannot locate anywhere in the KIS code that would be setting the InventoryType improperly; but I'm admittedly unfamiliar with the codebase.

Any information or insight into these problems would be much appreciated, thanks in advance :)

This message in the editor is shown for the Pod inventories only. Those are added automatically to the crewed parts. If you just add  an inventory module to the part, it becomes of type "Container". Share the part config for the review.

Edited by IgorZ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.