[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

7 hours ago, ASCIInerd73 said:

I just tried the mod without any other mods and I have gotten the same issue. I can open inventories, but I can't place items in them.

Well, I can only suggest that you improperly use it. Don't forget that in order to move an item into the inventory you must "drag" it, not just click to pickup/drop as you usually do in the editor. E.g. in the editor point the part, push the left mouse button and drag it into the inventory. Only release the mouse button when the item is over an inventory slot.

If you do everything right, and it still doesn't work, capture and share the log file.

16 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Well, I can only suggest that you improperly use it. Don't forget that in order to move an item into the inventory you must "drag" it, not just click to pickup/drop as you usually do in the editor. E.g. in the editor point the part, push the left mouse button and drag it into the inventory. Only release the mouse button when the item is over an inventory slot.

If you do everything right, and it still doesn't work, capture and share the log file.

That's what it was. I saw the part change appearance if you left click and hold on a part with an inventory, and I assumed that meant something special. I tried picking up from the editor, and then dragging with the left mouse button down from the part with the inventory into the actual inventory itself. I guess I was accidentally trying to put the container inside of itself. It works perfectly well, I was the problem.

Edited by ASCIInerd73

There's some in-game documentation in the form of an in-game book which can be used by kerbals. Using Kerbal Attachment System (without which Kerbal Inventory System is fairly pointless) is fairly intuitive though. You simply equip a tool in a kerbal's inventory by pressing the slot number, and then drag other items out of inventories to place them in the world (attaching them involves a few different keys, but they are easy to learn as they will be displayed in text on the screen when you have the option to attach things).

As for how to put KIS things in a vessel, follow these steps:

1. Understand that you are not attempting to attach a tool onto a vessel, but are instead trying to put it in an inventory. This distinction is important.
  2. Right click on either a crewed crew container (there must be a kerbal in there) or a KIS/KAS storage container (the mod adds several of these; they can be attached to a vessel like any other part).
  3. There should be a button that lets you access the inventory. If a crew container, the button will be something like "seat 0 inventory" (the number of seats start counting from zero so if your engineer is in the third slot in a Mk1-2 command pod, their inventory will be "seat 2 inventory").
  4. Click that button. You should see an interface with several slots open up.
  5. Click and drag items from the editor into the inventory interface. You can do this with just about any items so long as they are able to fit in the inventory in question.
Edited by eloquentJane

2 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

There's some in-game documentation in the form of an in-game book which can be used by kerbals.

That book actually is a pdf file. If you don't like the in-game viewer, you can find it in (KSP folder)/Gamedata/KIS.

Edited by Laie

2 minutes ago, Hs.Panda said:

started career mode, i have the wrench and the user manual, but can't seem to place them anywhere in vab or sph, and no container to put them in, is there a way to attach them to my ship without using a container?

You can put them in the crew inventory that is part of any crewed part. Right click on a crew part and then click open seat inventory. 

2 hours ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

@eloquentJane how is KIS fairly pointless without KAS?

Well, what can you do with just Kerbal Inventory System? The only practical use of it I can think of for the inventories without being able to actually place parts into the world is the EVA fuel pack (unless I'm thinking of a different mod that adds those), but I'm not sure it's worth having the whole mod just for those.

29 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

Well, what can you do with just Kerbal Inventory System? The only practical use of it I can think of for the inventories without being able to actually place parts into the world is the EVA fuel pack (unless I'm thinking of a different mod that adds those), but I'm not sure it's worth having the whole mod just for those.

KIS is not only inventory, it also allows building and disassembling vessels in the flight, but you cannot connect two vessels unless one the vessels is small enough to be picked up and attached to the other vessel. KAS doesn't allow building vessels, but it can connect together two vessels of any size via the specialized parts. That said, these two mods are pretty self-contained. You may combine them to do both building the vessels and connecting them, but it's really up to your game style.

I'm having a problem. I try to open the inventory of any container and all they do is make a sound, not open any inventories. With Kerbals the option isn't even showing up at all and tab doesn't work. I have KIS and KAS if that's important.

Edited by CatCraftYT

7 hours ago, CatCraftYT said:

I'm having a problem. I try to open the inventory of any container and all they do is make a sound, not open any inventories. With Kerbals the option isn't even showing up at all and tab doesn't work. I have KIS and KAS if that's important.

Sounds like a broken KIS installation. Try going thru the troubleshooting guide. If it doesn't help, please, share the game logs.

1 hour ago, CatCraftYT said:

90% sure I installed KIS/KAS/MM correctly, so here's the log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqjlwl6li6o0ynb/KSP.log?dl=0

I also did forget to mention I can open inventories in the VAB/SPH and drag/drop items into them but in flight I can't open anything.

If you're in 1.3.1, it looks like you have the wrong MM version. You should have 2.8.1 if your game is up to date.

6 hours ago, CatCraftYT said:

I'm using 1.2.2.

Alas, there is no possibility to support the old versions of KIS/KSP. I can only help you with the latest versions: KSP 1.3.1 and KIS 1.7.

I built a very small Quad-copter drone. It's smaller than a Kerbal. I wanted to put it in a KIS Box as a subassembly, but I'm assuming this is impossible. I could attempt assembly in EVA, but this craft made heavy use of Tweakscale. Am I missing something? Or am I correct in assuming this function is not available (maybe "Yet"? HMMMMMMMM? lol)

4 hours ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

Currently it is not possible to put subassemblies in a container. 

Damn, thanks. But this gives me an idea.

EDIT: Would help if I expounded: would it be possible to create an EVA-able item, a little deployment box, that could use functionality of the Hangar plugin? 

Edited by Rivvik

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.