[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

1 hour ago, JonahWantsToPlay said:

After installing it with CKAN it worked fine... weird

I'd guess, there were other mods that needed update/refresh. When there are a lot of mods in the game, you never know which one may get rogue.

Someone on the MKS thread came up with a good idea that would fix the issues with modules that change their seat count:

2 minutes ago, NermNermNerm said:

Just want to add that I really like an idea that i see in the Karibou Rover Cab - it has KIS some storage built-in.  I wish KIS had that on every part with a hatch - and as soon as a kerbal enters the vessel everything in their inventory got dropped into the part's KIS bin.  ...If it fits, of course.  If it doesn't fit, it should act like it does if a kerbal carries science into a part that can't store it.

5 minutes ago, TDplay said:

Someone on the MKS thread came up with a good idea that would fix the issues with modules that change their seat count:

The potential issue with this comes down to choice.  There are many players and modders, that love KIS, but don't feel it is appropriate that every command module has room for storage.  To go along with your example, the Karibou Rover cab has KIS storage, explicitly because it is the USI expedition rover and is of the size it would have room.  But @RoverDude does not add KIS storage to every module he makes, nor would he likely be happy if KIS turned this on globally.

Given how easy it is to make a quick MM config to add this to your own game, I personally think it is something a player can do for themselves if they deem it appropriate.  IMO anyone playing with a modded KSP should really learn the basics of MM configs anyhow.  It is super easy and super powerfule.

26 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

The potential issue with this comes down to choice.  There are many players and modders, that love KIS, but don't feel it is appropriate that every command module has room for storage.  To go along with your example, the Karibou Rover cab has KIS storage, explicitly because it is the USI expedition rover and is of the size it would have room.  But @RoverDude does not add KIS storage to every module he makes, nor would he likely be happy if KIS turned this on globally.

Given how easy it is to make a quick MM config to add this to your own game, I personally think it is something a player can do for themselves if they deem it appropriate.  IMO anyone playing with a modded KSP should really learn the basics of MM configs anyhow.  It is super easy and super powerfule.

I agree!

@PART:HAS[CrewCapacity],HAS[!MODULE[ModuleKISInventory]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKISInventory
		maxVolume = 1000
		externalAccess = true
		internalAccess = true
		slotsX = 8
		slotsY = 5
		slotSize = 50
		itemIconResolution = 128
		selfIconResolution = 128
		openSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerOpen
		closeSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerClose
		defaultMoveSndPath = KIS/Sounds/itemMove
	}
}

I think...

Warranty void if copy-pasted into a cfg file.

Now we just need code to move stuff into the KIS inv if the seat inv is not available.

Edited by TDplay

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

The potential issue with this comes down to choice.  There are many players and modders, that love KIS, but don't feel it is appropriate that every command module has room for storage.

I feel like it'd be simpler if the KIS storage was added to every module with a hatch, where the amount of storage is proportional to the mass of the part.

9 minutes ago, NermNermNerm said:

I feel like it'd be simpler if the KIS storage was added to every module with a hatch, where the amount of storage is proportional to the mass of the part.

I think it should be 300L per seat by default (basically what we have now, but it'd fix the issue with "n's seat" not showing on inflatables). If a part config changes this, then KIS' code should leave this alone.

19 minutes ago, NermNermNerm said:

And as posted above it is super simple to add KIS storage to every module should you wish to for your own personal needs.  That is a big difference from KIS simply adding that globally.  Again going back to the early days, there was a time this occurred and there was backlash from both players and modders who for "realistic" or balance reasons simply did not want automatic storage in all modules or in command modules.

2 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

And as posted above it is super simple to add KIS storage to every module should you wish to for your own personal needs.  That is a big difference from KIS simply adding that globally.  Again going back to the early days, there was a time this occurred and there was backlash from both players and modders who for "realistic" or balance reasons simply did not want automatic storage in all modules or in command modules.

I guess I just don't understand the difference.  Right now every seat (by default) has KIS storage, thus you already have "automatic storage in all modules".

7 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Yes, we already effectively get 300L storage, I don't see how adding storage to all crewed modules and removing the 300L to fix inflatable issues would cause backlash.

1 minute ago, NermNermNerm said:

I guess I just don't understand the difference.  Right now every seat (by default) has KIS storage, thus you already have "automatic storage in all modules".

Just now, TDplay said:

Yes, we already effectively get 300L storage, I don't see how adding storage to all crewed modules and removing the 300L to fix inflatable issues would cause backlash.

Because every seat does not have storage.  As I posted over on the MKS thread,  "seat storage" is not real KIS storage.  It was created as a workaround to essentially put something in a Kerbal's backpack at launch, since you cannot access Kerbals directly in the VAB.  A simple thing you can do to illustrate this difference is build a ship with a capsule on it.  This is easier with a multi seat capsule.  Fill all of the "seat inventories" with items.  Then launch it with only 1 kerbal.  You will find the inventory where the kerbal sits has the inventory you put inside.  However all of the empty seats will have lost everything you put in.

Similarily, on eva, try adding something to an emtpy seat,  you will lose it.

That is a big difference from having 300L per seat of persistent storage regardless of whether someone is sitting in the seat or not.

1 minute ago, goldenpsp said:

Because every seat does not have storage.  As I posted over on the MKS thread,  "seat storage" is not real KIS storage.  It was created as a workaround to essentially put something in a Kerbal's backpack at launch, since you cannot access Kerbals directly in the VAB.  A simple thing you can do to illustrate this difference is build a ship with a capsule on it.  This is easier with a multi seat capsule.  Fill all of the "seat inventories" with items.  Then launch it with only 1 kerbal.  You will find the inventory where the kerbal sits has the inventory you put inside.  However all of the empty seats will have lost everything you put in.

Similarily, on eva, try adding something to an emtpy seat,  you will lose it.

That is a big difference from having 300L per seat of persistent storage regardless of whether someone is sitting in the seat or not.

Ah, I see. So to fix the inflatable issues we'd need code to search for a KIS inv and add items to it when a kerb gets in a part without seat invs.

1 minute ago, TDplay said:

Ah, I see. So to fix the inflatable issues we'd need code to search for a KIS inv and add items to it when a kerb gets in a part without seat invs.

Well IMO the best solution would be some way to persistently save  a Kerbal's backpack inventory.  Then it wouldn't matter where they went, their backpack contents would remain.  Not ever having looked at the code I don't know how feasible that would be to implement.

Or fix the inflatable's configs (probably it's controlling module) to use the storage adding KIS interface I added to KIS and for which I sent a PR and Igorz accepted (for 1.10 iirc). The Tokamak Refurbished Parts habitats (ie, continued PorkJet habs) will do just this when I get around to sending that PR to LGG.

[edit]Good grief, just found patches I need to send to Papa-Joe, too.

Edited by taniwha

To summarize what was stated above:

• The existing solution with adding "eva" inventories is indeed a workaround. You should not think about these inventories as storages. They only exist to persist the kerbals backpack state. This approach doesn't break any physical concept, since the items are assumed to stay in the kerbals backpack. If a kerbal in a spacesuit can fit into the capsule, then the contents of the pockets can fit too. You cannot access these special inventories in flight, KIS uses them internally.
  • Adding a regular inventory to any part is a bad idea. All the reasons were already given above, so I just confirm it.
  • For now the best approach for the variable seats containers is adding as many EVA inventories as the maximum number of seats for the part. It's absolutely safe to have more such modules than there are seats. What is not safe, is having less.
  • Using KIS interface mentioned by @taniwha requires good understanding of what happens when during the game load. The game will only load the modules that are listed in the prefab. If the prefab has 3 inentories, and the saved part contains 5 inventories, only the first 3 will be loaded. That said, the prefab must be updated before loading the game state.

I tried to make a generic approach, but so far no stable solution is found. Adding a vessel module to hold the backpacks content would probably do the trick.

12 hours ago, IgorZ said:

For now the best approach for the variable seats containers is adding as many EVA inventories as the maximum number of seats for the part. It's absolutely safe to have more such modules than there are seats. What is not safe, is having less.

Got an example of this?

6 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Got an example of this?

It's good you've asked. I thought KPBS used to do that, but now I recall we were only discussing this feature and figured out the inventory type need to be adjusted from the config. Eventually, they've switched to a different approach: the parts are now deployed in prefab, which solves all the issues since CrewCapacity in the part matches the maximum number of seats. I've created a bug to implement the inventory type support.

Once the bug is fixed, the patch would look this:

@PART[MyPartWithCrew]:NEEDS[KIS]
{
	%ModuleKISInventory
	{
		moduleName = ModuleKISInventory
		invType = Pod  // see Github #252
		slotsX = 2
		slotsY = 4
		maxVolume = 300
		openSndPath = KIS/Sounds/inventoryOpen
		closeSndPath = KIS/Sounds/inventoryClose
	}
	// ... extra modules, one per seat
}

Note, that KIS automatically adds modules for up to CrewCapacity seats. So if the prefab size is not zero, then those seats don't need a patch.

The new KIS version is tentatively targeted to Monday. There will be a support for the inventory type.

1.11 (March 26th, 2018):

• [Fix #248] Broken inventory for the new DLC suits.
  • [Fix #252] Allow setting type of the inventory via config.
  • [Fix #253] Kerbal preview is wrong for the expansion pack suites.
  • [Fix #254] Remove helmet doesn't work on the expansion EVA suites.

@RoverDude, to add a pod's inventory do the following:

@PART[YourPartName]
{
	// One module per a dynamic seat.
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKISInventory
		invType = Pod
	}
	// Add more modules as needed.
}

You don't have to set any specific parameters other than the type. The KIS mod will load the other parameters according to the settings file.

Note, that every pod inventory shows up in the editor as a "seat inventory". So if you add 100 modules, then there will be 100 context menu items :)  In the flight there will be as many menu items as there are kerbals assigned to the part.

Edited by IgorZ

Hello!

Sorry to disturb. I use KIS and KAS and cannot put back stuff lying on the ground back into an inventory. The "G" putton is used, the inventory is kind of transparent and stuff does not drop back into it. What is wrong-is there a special technic?

regards

1 hour ago, torpmix said:

Hello!

Sorry to disturb. I use KIS and KAS and cannot put back stuff lying on the ground back into an inventory. The "G" putton is used, the inventory is kind of transparent and stuff does not drop back into it. What is wrong-is there a special technic?

regards

Is it your first attempt to use the mod? Or the functionality was working before but now it's not? In the first case I'd like to ask you to read the manual (see OP). In the latter case we need screenshots and logs.

Edited by IgorZ

Igor,

this is actually the first time I use KIS and KAS.

Check the linked picture. I grabbed the tank and hover now on the inventory. But - it is now behind the transparent inventory, If i release the left mouse button it will just drop down again.

edit: pls use http://fav.me/dc773qs as link.

regards

Edited by torpmix

Any chance of the ability to store KIS inventory items 'disassembled'? I.E. an empty tank could in theory be disassembled into components that could be field-constructed to produce a complete tank. Should only be able to be done with empty parts. Right now I'm actually increasing by a massive amount KIS inventories in order to accomplish this, but that has the side-effect of allowing me to store containers full of items/materials inside of containers. It's easy enough for me to simply not abuse this most of the time, but I occasionally learn that I've benefited from it unknowningly when I put something in a KIS container that comes prestocked with materials I didn't realize it had. I'd be fine with it taking engineers to 'assemble'. It still seems odd though that in many cases I'd rather just attach the things I want to send to a rocket the old fashioned way when I have these nice containers specifically designed to deliver parts to locations.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.